Create Account

S70 SMJHL PT #2 - Season Preview

The SMJHL season is about to start, after we all got a taste of juniors hockey with preseason. In the 7-game span of preseason, teams got a pretty good look into what to expect, and also who the key contributors are likely to be. How is your team looking ahead of this season, and who are gonna be the main pieces of your squads?
Written option: Talk about how your team is looking ahead of the coming season. Include at least 3 players who will be key to the success of the team, plus an explanation why they will be crucial. Must include 150 words.
Graphic option: Create a magazine cover style graphic with a headline for the team, plus a render for a key player on your team's squad. Make sure to identify which player the render is supposed to be in the graphic.
Reward
3 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one, not both.)
Only S70 SMJHL Rookies (S71 SHL Draftees) are eligible for this PT.
Link PBE, ISFL, or SSL submissions here to get credit for affiliate claims.
Do not claim this TPE until a post is made in the claim thread.
Deadline: Sunday, April 2nd @ 11:59pm PST

[Image: jay2233.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @High Stick King and @Maxy for the sigs!

Raptors Argonauts 
[Image: m59RPb7.png][Image: FcWmVTl.png]

PT Pass

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

For the Crows, I think a lot of our season is going to come down to how well our rookies develop. We invested a lot of draft capital into revamping the top of our lineup and our success will likely be heavily dependent on those players. All three of our centers were drafted this season, as well as two of our wingers, a goalie who should push our starter who was drafted last year, and a top defenseman. If this group can develop well, we’ve got a real shot to be a much better team towards the end of the season than how we start. Of course, every other team will be trying to do the same thing, but I think that with the sheer amount of rookies we have, this will put us in the best position to make a big jump near the end of the year as well as at the start of next season.

WC: 158

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

Oh boy a season preview, this should be fun. The medical diagnosis for our teams performance in the preseason is nothing short of “absolute shite”. Doubters, look away, though because the Vancouver Whalers are keen on making sure we do not repeat that. Our rookies are going to be key to our success this season. We know the talent levels of our team’s veterans, but that’s what this massive draft haul is for, supplementing what we already have. The rookie class all got in some solid updates with a bunch of TPE, so we should see an uptick in performance quality as the season moves on. Players like Bob Wehadababyitsaboy, Bellamy Blake, and Inactive Forever will be integral to team performance this season. Lest we forget about under the radar players like Thomas Liebold and Larry Johnson III. Am I expecting to win the cup? Absolutely not. But I am confident that with the right energy carried through the season, Vancouver’s strong draft class can set the direction of this ship on the right course and build a foundation for next season.

[Image: 2JcMUJm.png]

The Knights are going to be the team to beat this year. Mark my words. I know there are a lot of other teams that believe they may have it in the bag, but the Knights are a more complete team from top to bottom. They have fine in the preseason so far with a 3-3-1 record, but most games have been close and honestly it is preseason, who really cares about preseason.

I could tell you key roles will be played by James Lutz leading the forwards, Pete Aleman with defense, or Sea Jebus in net, all world class players. But the truth is, the real difference maker will be…

Crystal Mcleod, that girl is here to punish people. Like old school hard nosed hockey. She will make life a living hell on the ice for opponents. She is hear to do two thing, beat you and beat you. She will break some bones, bruise opponents and crush their spirt. Then she will help put some pucks in the back of the net with her expert passes.

A second choice is obviously Cole Dasice. He will not jump out on the score sheet but it is that kind of invisible game that will help steady the defense. He is amazing in his own zone, keeping forwards honest and blocking routes to the net. He ensures there isn’t an easy shift for the opposing team.

Finally Tibuk Soonika a lot of people may look at this and go “you backup goalie!?” Yes, our backup goalie. Tibuk is as good as a starting goalie on almost any team in the league. If you have a backup you can rely on it means you are not bleeding easy points on nights where Sea Jebus needs a day of rest.

That’s right FEAR US, the Knights are here to run the gambit and take home the CUP this season.

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

The Regina Elk have a really good season ahead of them. I think the MVP of the team is going to be e e. They had a fantastic preseason with having 11 points in 7 games, but he cannot do it alone. I think there are going to have to be other players that step up, so I expect players like Olivers Ozols, Gritty McGritterson, and Jae Hyuk Choi to step up on offense while trying to get something from the other rookies that they just took. I also want to see a lot from the defenseman on the team. WSS really need to have a nice defensive game while Fox Peur du Feu may actually have to step up big. In goal, Ally Mathieson will likely see a lot of shots. In fact, they saw 168 shots in 6 games. That is 28 per game which is a lot. They had a great preseason with 2.30 GAA in the games, but that will definitely be tested. So, we will need to see a lot from everyone.

Words: 178

[Image: huNeCNb.png]
Thank you OrbitingDeath! <3

To write about the Berserkers upcoming season is an exciting prospect, and I thought I'd focus in on the top 3 Newfoundland picks from the SMJHL entry draft this season.

While the veteran core provides the powerhouse behind our chances this season, these three draftees represent the new blood, and the injection of talent to make up for SHL call ups. Both sides of the team, rooks and vets, will have to perform to achieve the ring we all know we're capable of this year.

The 12th Overall Pick - Adelbert Steiner RD

It's me! realistically I had a very strong suspicion I was going to be playing in Newfoundland following my chats with teams, and was very happy to end up here. I joined the league at the longest time possible until a draft, and have done everything I can to max earn in the mean time. I'll be starting my rookie campaign approaching 250 TPE, and am attempting to develop my player into a dynamic two-way Defender, slightly less Goal-focused than many offensive Dmen builds, I'm attempting to create a two way playmaker, as well as of course a solid presence at the back.

The 24th Overall Pick - Erik Erikson @Beta LW

The first of two Wingers here! Erikson plays on the Left Wing and has also already broken the 200 TPE barrier profiling as a fantastic earner. Already a solid playmaker at the Junior level with great Reads, passing & getting open. They represent a fast, agile Winger who will be a dynamic player from the off. If they continue to develop their offensive prowess they will be a focal point of our point scoring in seasons to come. Erik already has a decent shot on him, and if that develops alongside playmaking there'll be a monster wing here.

The 33rd Overall Pick - Luke Labrie @Labrieze RW

Playing on the other wing we find Labrie! Luke Labrie enters the Juniors with a very different build and an interesting one. Rather than an all around playmaker, Labrie is a finisher focused on speed. With great Puckhandling, Getting Open & Accuracy, Labrie looks to find the critical spot in front of the net and capitalise. High acceleration & fantastic Puckhandling mean Labrie could be an absolute menace at cutting infront of the goal.

Those are the three top rookies for our upcoming season! If we capitalise, we should be looking at a serious shot at contention. Go Zerkers!

[Image: 6bdkPCS.png]

The Vancouver Whalers were off to a tough preseason start going 1-6 but all is not lost in the eyes of the Vancouver general managers and in the locker room as there were many positives to take away from this series of games. Tremendous leadership and on ice performance has come from player Wednsday Addams tallying one goal and 5 assists throughout the preseason. Addams has also been a positive influence in the locker room and looks to lead the team into more games as well as mentor the younger players. Another thing Vancouver fans can look forward to is a bright future with emerging young talent like first overall pick Bob Wehadababyitsaboy who contributed a goal and two assists to the Whalers efforts as well as outstanding defensive play and late third round pick Thomas Liebold who added three assists throughout the preseason and also helped out on the powerplay at times. Other notable rookies include Bellamy Blake, Inactive Forever, Johnny FourStar, and Marko Zajc who are all promising young players that will look to help the Whalers succeed in the coming seasons.
(184 Words)
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2023, 04:34 PM by Sizz. Edited 4 times in total.)

The Battleborn had an amazingly average season last year. Their wins and losses were nearly matched with a record of 31-32-3. This year, however, they're planning on utilizing the top talents of both of their tier 2 capped players in Bender Junior and John Brown. Bender will hope to utilize his insanely accurate shot, silky smooth puckhandling and actual jet engines as legs to have opposing defenses in shambles midway through the 1st period. John Brown is on the lookout for blood. That's not a metaphor either. He literally is looking to make other teams bleed. It's been a scary training camp and I think all of the Battleborn forwards are just looking forward to let the other team take the beating from here on out. With those two talented stars, they're also looking to the new blood with their first and second pick centers in Thomas Sawchuk and Max Carnage. Sawchuk brings a much more well-rounded, SMJHL ready playmaking style while Carnage's play style is a much more rough around the edges, raw but still unfinished style who will add a lot of physicality to their 3rd line. With the blend of talented veterans and hungry youngsters, the Battleborn hope to make a surge into the playoffs this season and become one of the top teams in the league.

220 Words

[Image: 8FZ99SX.jpeg]

The season looks very promising for the Timbers. Shootin Blanks did not have the greatest preseason but what the Timbers saw was a player that is going to go out there every night and give it his best. In the 7 games played he was averaging 16 minutes of ice time and had only two points, both assists. Though the +1 overall is a plus he expected a lot more than that. Three players that I feel need to show up for the Timbers to make a long run in the playoffs? J-Roc, Mushu the Dragon and Peter Tingle are vital members and can dictate where this season goes for Maine. The Ice time for these players will dictate not just the season but how my rookie plays as well. I dont have much stamina and need to work on that throughout this season. Time will tell. My goal predictions is 9 for the season. Assist I will go with 22 and my +/- will be 5. Some small numbers on the third line. 
Timber

173 Words

[Image: IMG_2927.jpg?width=1195&height=672]

First season for Aumy Junior II is already here. New chapter and new adventures. In his rookie season he will play for Carolina ''Kraken'' and hopefully the next season as well. Last season ''Kraken'' finished in the seventh place in an entire league. Team got through the first two rounds and lost only in semi-finals in six games against Detroit ''Falcons''. However, things have changed from the previous season. Roster has some holes in defense and as much as Aumy Junior II knows, he will even have to play as a defender sometimes. He is a certified scoring machine, but this young center will have to help sometimes in the defense. And he's okay with it, because he was made for such things like this. Key players this season definitely will be left wingers Marton Diehm and Derek Martin. It's a lot of burden on their shoulders. They need to put up some good numbers and get some goals. Aumy Junior II will feed them with passes and will score as well, but they are seniors here, so they have to show how things are going. Goalie Apollo Peed will play an important role too, since our primary goalie hasn't improved a lot. He has to improve a lot and take that primary goalie spot. If he can help the team, we should be good. No high expectations, but we are the underdogs and we're ready to surprise everyone out there.

241 words

Stars Stars Stars
[Image: aumy3.png]

The Newfoundland Berserkers look really good this year, we have the highest average Capped TPE as well as promising rookies on both sides of the ice that will get the job done. My player, Erik Erikson is looking really good as he already has 3 Points within 3 Games, a really solid start for a non starter. I only see it going up from here and if I continue this production with possible Rookie Of The Year votes. Another really good player is our LD Adelbert Steiner. He has 11 Blocked shots already and is some great help for our 2 Goalies. Again I know Merchant will keep updating him so we'll be an unstoppable pair within the next few months. Speaking of dominant play, our Center Ryan McKennedy has 5 points already with 3 G and 2 A. Our offense looks really good and I don't see us stopping any time soon. This season looks really good and I'm excited for my future with this team.

Code:
170 Words

Simmer PT Pass

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: ZGneEG5.png]

[Image: sig-hffo-atlason.jpg?ex=660efc59&is=65fc...001e3&.png]

Great Falls Grizzlies look outstanding at the start of the season, posting a record of 3-0 so far. With 3 players on the team that are mauling their way through the pack, which include James dion leading the team with most points at 4 points, followed by Tiberius Kane with 4 points as well and Kyle Latreille laying the body leading the team with 23 hits, nearly double from the second place hitter on our team. Things are looking great for the start of the season and even a few rookies have already made their mark by notching a couple goals and assists including myself Andre Latreille. Things are looking very good for the Grizzlies so far, and some of the players are really starting to shine. Loosh O'Sullivan leading with most goals at 2 and followed by James Dion who not only leads for most points but also has a couple goals leading the team in second. Things are on the up for the Grizzlies, Can we keep this momentum going and break some records. ONLY TIME WILL TELL.

[Image: CL16.gif]
Sigs made by me if you want one, Check out sig shop.

The Vancouver Whalers have high hopes coming into S70. The team looks to rely on its veteran leadership, returning forwards Klaes Ashford, Wednesday Addams, and Jeff Lewis. The team will also rely heavily on its tried and trusted goaltender, Noah Charlevoix. This foundation sets the floor of the Whalers quite high, but what about their ceiling? Bellamy Blake and Bob Wehadababyitsaboy are going to be looked at as the difference makers on this squad, serving as a one two punch on defense and tasked with lightening the load on the teams goalies. Thomas Liebold and Anthony Simmons will need to make big jumps this season in order for the team to be competitive. And the Whalers corps of young rookie talent will be trusted with spot minutes and team roles necessary for the Whalers to achieve regular season success. The Whalers will have to grow in order to be considered a true Four Star contender this season, but with a little hard work the team could find themselves at the top of the mountain once all is said and done.

[180 words]