Create Account

Johnny FourStar Lands in Vancouver

Johnny FourStar Lands in Vancouver

The Season 70 SMJHL draft has come and gone and players have been selected for their teams. As the season kicks off, one player in particular has caught the eye of scouts across the league.

Johnny FourStar, the Swedish-born winger, was selected in Round 3, #37 overall, by the Vancouver Whalers organization. The Whalers hope that FourStar can learn from their talented group of forwards.

"We really think that both sides come out ahead with this pick," said Vancouver Whalers GM ArmTheSharks. "Johnny is new to the North American game and its clear that his development, while guided by legendary greats, has been based primarily in the way things used to be done, rather than the way things are now. We've paired him up with our veterans, like Klaes Ashofrd and Anthony Simmons II. He seems to be coming along nicely out on the practice ice and we're excited to see him continue to get reps as the season moves along."

FourStar also seems excited by the opportunity to play for the Vancouver Whalers this season.

"They're a legendary, prestigious club," says FourStar. "Niklas (Wikstrom) put me in contact with his former player Chippy Chiclets, who famously found himself in a Hossa-like situation, losing the final with the Whalers to Halifax, then shipping off to Halifax and losing to the Whalers the following year. Chippy told me to stay patient, to keep working on my game, and to trust that management will put us in a position to win. I'm not trying to rush anything out there, I'm going to let the game come to me and see how I can help our team win day in and day out."

FourStar has been seen putting in extra time on the ice and in the weight room. While FourStar was cordial to the media, his manager Niklas Wikstrom took a harsher tone.

"I can guarantee you that there's not 36 players in this class better than Johnny Fourstar" quipped Wikstrom outside Victoria's Tavern in Regina, Saskatchewan. "He's got something that you just can't teach. And once we get him acclimated to the J, he's going to be a superstar in this league. Jot that down.

Word is on the street that FourStar has been training with former SHL legends in his free time, and the organization hopes to see that pay off on the ice.

"He might have started off a little slow when he first walked in the door, but he's been working as hard as anyone in the building as the season has kicked off here," Whalers GM dmuda11 told reporters late last week. "We'll see what happens, but we are incredibly happy with his progress so far and have full trust that he will become a productive member of this squad.

Johnny FourStar has 5 points in the first 8 games for the Whalers, typically lining up on the Second Line. The Whalers currently sit in second in the Bastien Marchessault Division at 5-3-0.

[547 Words]

Whalers

[Image: 34964_s.gif]
[Image: thd650h.png]
Affiliate of:
syndicate Steelhawks Whalers