Create Account

S71 Scouting Report - Way Too Early Edition

S71 Scouting Report - Way Too Early Edition
Presented by WhikiScout

Hello and welcome to your source for SHL Scouting! We've taken a break for the last 21 seasons, but we're back and here to tell you all about the S71 draftees! Thank you for being a loyal reader. I won't let you down*

*I'll probably let you down.

During our initial week, we're going to get to know the prospects through a "Near-Instant Regret Redraft." We've all been there - we think something is a great idea and is going to pan out, but days later it's apparent that mistakes were made. This re-draft is almost entirely based on TPE as of April 3, 2023. And before we sign off, we'll present our patented, beloved, Rookie Tier Sorting System (RTSS).

Near-Instant Regret Redraft

1. Vancouver Whalers
Original Pick: Bob Wehadababyitsaboy - D
Redraft Pick: Mercedes Bayle - F (R2, P1; 15 OA)

Forward Mercedes Bayle has sped out the gates early this season with a whopping 247 TPE earned. While the raw talent is there, Regina is still waiting on results to show up in the sim. Bayle has 4 goals and 5 assists through sixteen games played with a -9 +/- rating.

2. Colorado Raptors
Original Pick: Oliver Castillon - F
Redraft Pick: Dominik Winters - F (R1, P3; 3 OA)

Was there ever a doubt that Dominik Winters would be an early stud in this league? With 246 TPE and 10 points through 16 games, Winters finds himself in the early running for ROTY and one of the biggest earners in this young season. The scouts had it right at the top, which is why Winters still finds himself as a lottery pick in this redraft.

3. St. Louis Scarecrows
Original Pick: Dominik Winters - F
Redraft Pick: Theodore Svatos - F (R2, P2; 16 OA)

The second round of the S70 SMJHL Entry Draft is looking to be one of the best rounds of prospects in any draft in recent memory. Forward Theodore Svatos continues that trend with 246 TPE earned and 2 goals, 7 assists through 16 games. While Svatos has been impressive, many do not think that the St. Louis brass are regretting taking Dominik Winters at this spot. However, Yukon's ability to find two of the highest tier players in this draft was a masterclass in draft strategy.

4. Great Falls Grizzlies
Original Pick - Levin Schattenaxt - F
Redraft Pick - Logan Webb - F (R2, P12; 26 OA)

Forward Logan Webb has been busy since the draft. Not only has he accumulated 246 TPE, but he has also been very active in the media room, which will surely fill the coffers to prepare for a long, high-earning career. Webb has 4 goals and 4 assists through sixteen games played with a -5 +/- rating.

5. Regina Elk
Original Pick - Just-to-Buy My-Love - F
Redraft Pick - Furious Chicken - D (R1, P13, 13 OA)

One of only 3 defensemen redrafted in the first round, Furious Chicken leads them all with 246 TPE. However, Furious Chicken has struggled to find his game on the ice. The Chicken has three assists in sixteen games played and a horrendous -13 +/- rating. Yukon is hoping that Chicken can find a way to stop some pucks out there, and this early TPE gain is a promising indicator that a turnaround is on the horizon.

6. Nevada Battleborn
Original Pick - Thomas Sawschuk - F
Redraft Pick - Adelbert Steiner - D (R1, P12, 12 OA)

A few spots ahead of where he was originally selected, Adelbert Steiner has impressed early on with 245 TPE and 8 points through 16 games, and helping to propel his Newfoundland Berserkers to the top of the league table.

7. Anchorage Armada
Original Pick - Finn Weib - F
Redraft Pick - Levin Schattenaxt - F (R1, P4, 4 OA)

Levin Schattenaxt is another player that was well scouted by the league and is redrafted here very close to his original position. Schattenaxt has 244 TPE and 8 points through 16 games in the sim.

8. Great Falls Grizzlies
Original Pick - Andre Latreille - F
Redraft Pick - Oliver Castillon - F (R1, P2, 2 OA)

I wonder if future SMJHL historians will look back and wonder whether Great Falls would look different with a forward combo of Webb/Oliver Castillon, rather than Schattenaxt/Latreille. All four players have had good starts, but Castillon rounds out the absolute top tier of prospects so far. Oliver has 5 points in 16 games played with a -4 +/- rating.

9. Kelowna Knights
Original Pick - Crystal McLeod - F
Redraft Pick - Thomas Liebold - F (R3, P13; 40 OA)

Pick #9 might be the first big miss of this draft. While there's plenty of time for McLeod to catch up (184 TPE), Kelowna could have snagged themselves one of the best forwards available in this draft with Thomas Liebold. Kelowna's misstep is Vancouver's gain, as Liebold has 240 TPE and 11 points in 17 games played. His -16 +/- is not something he'd want reported here, but he's been making up for it on the offensive end.

10. Maine Timber
Original Pick - Mick Mayhem - D
Redraft Pick - Inactive Forever - F (R3, P3; 31 OA)

Another Vancouver selection finds themselves redrafted in the first round. Inactive Forever might have scared a few GMs away with his name, but early in the season Forever has been very impressive. Inactive Forever has 238 TPE and 15 Points in 17 games played.

11. St. Louis Scarecrows
Original Pick - Jay Bryzi - F
Redraft Pick - Filip Svatos - F (R2, P4; 18 OA) OR Bellamy Blake - D (R2, P3; 17 OA)

We apologize to our readers, but we just cannot separate Filip Svatos and Bellamy Blake this early in the season. Both are sitting at 238 TPE and 14 points scored in the first couple weeks of the season. Both are playing a large role on Carolina and Vancouver, respectively. And both show no signs of slowing down anytime soon.

12. Newfoundland Berserkers
Original Pick - Adelbert Steiner - D
Redraft Pick - Filip Svatos - F (R2, P4; 18 OA) OR Bellamy Blake - D (R2, P3; 17 OA)

13. Yukon Malamutes
Original Pick - Furious Chicken - D
Redraft Pick - Max Carnage - F (R2, P6; 20 OA)

When a player like Furious Chicken shows up at #13 Overall, you'd be a fool not to take him. But, if he were off the board, we imagine the scouts for Yukon would have had forward Max Carnage in his place. Carnage has 238 TPE and 9 points through 16 games.

14. St. Louis Scarecrows
Original Pick - Marshall Madden - F
Redraft Pick - Finn Weib - F (R1, P7; 7 OA)

Finn Weib is a certified first round talent. Currently with 237 TPE and 12 points in 18 games, Weib has demonstrated that he deserves to be in the upper echelon of SHL prospects.

15. Regina Elk
Original Pick - Mercedes Bayle - F
Redraft Pick - Jay Bryzi - F (R1, P11; 11 OA)

16. Detroit Falcons
Original Pick - Theodore Svatos - F
Redraft Pick - Scary Jerry - G (R3, P8; 36 OA)

Detroit took a strong player in Theodore Svatos, but they could have taken the best goalie of the early season in Scary Jerry. Jerry has 235 TPE, nearly 30 TPE higher than the next goalie prospect, and is 3-1 in 4 starts.

17. Vancouver Whalers
Original Pick - Bellamy Blake - D
Redraft Pick - Barg Hazbite - F (R2, P7; 21 OA)

18. Carolina Kraken
Original Pick - Alexej Kastrba - F
Redraft Pick - Mick Mayhem - D (R1, P10; 10 OA)

19. Colorado Raptors
Original Pick - Foggy Nelson - D
Redraft Pick - Alexej Kastrba - F (R2, P8; 22 OA)

20. Nevada Battleborn
Original Pick - Max Carnage - F
Redraft Pick - Shootin Blanks - F (R2, P13; 27 OA)

21. Anchorage Armada
Original Pick - Barg Hazbite - F
Redraft Pick - Matt Stro - F (R2, P14; 28 OA)

22. Carolina Kraken
Original Pick - Alexej Kastrba - F
Redraft Pick - Andre Latreille - F (R1, P8; 8 OA)

23. Quebec City Citadelles
Original Pick - Net Man - G
Redraft Pick - Foggy Nelson - D (R2, P5; 19 OA)

24. Newfoundland Berserkers
Original Pick - Erik Erikson - F
Redraft Pick - Erik Erikson - F

I always love it when a player falls right where they should have been, and in this redraft Newfoundland has the distinct honor of being the first team to do this (although, St. Louis was very very close). Erik Erikson has 10 points in 16 games to go along with his 229 TPE.

25. Great Falls Grizzlies
Original Pick - Andren Akerson - F
Redraft Pick - Bob Wehadababyitsaboy - D (R1, P1; 1 OA) OR Marshall Madden - F (R1, P14; 14 OA)

We have another tie, this time with two players taken in the first round and our first overall pick. Trying to scout talent this early is always tough - some players burst onto the scene and impress early, while others are late bloomers. I think both of these players are well on their way to a great career, despite not max-earning this early on.

26. Kelowna Knights
Original Pick - Logan Webb - F
Redraft Pick - Bob Wehadababyitsaboy - D (R1, P1; 1 OA) OR Marshall Madden - F (R1, P14; 14 OA)

27. Maine Timber
Original Pick - Shootin Blanks - F
Redraft Pick - Johnny FourStar - F (R3, P9; 37 OA)

28. Carolina Kraken
Original Pick - Matt Stro - F
Redraft Pick - Just-to-Buy My-love - F (R1, P5; 5 OA)

29. Yukon Malamutes
Original Pick - Jordan Tanner - F
Redraft Pick - Thomas Sawschuk - F (R1, P6; 6 OA)

30. St. Louis Scarecrows
Original Pick - Kyle Baretto
Redraft Pick - Aumy Junior II (Undrafted)

31. Vancouver Whalers
Original Pick - Inactive Forever
Redraft Pick - Might-go IA (Undrafted)

32. Regina Elk
Original Pick - Ally Mathieson
Redraft Pick - Drew Sureshot (R3, P14; 42 OA)

33. Newfoundland Berserkers
Original Pick - Luke Labrie
Redraft Pick - Andren Akerson (R2, P11; 25 OA)

34. Nevada Battleborn
Original Pick - shnopple lopple
Redraft Pick - shnopple lopple (R3, P6; 34 OA)

35. Anchorage Armada
Original Pick - Xavier Ali
Redraft Pick - Luke Labrie (R3, P5; 33 OA)

36. Colorado Raptors
Original Pick - Scary Jerry
Redraft Pick - Donny Dangle (R4, P2; 44 OA)

37. Vancouver Whalers
Original Pick - Johnny FourStar
Redraft Pick - Bear Trapp (Undrafted)

38. Maine Timber
Original Pick - Merle Van Nistelrooy
Redraft Pick - Net Man (R2, P9; 23 OA)

39. Great Falls Grizzlies
Original Pick - Dave Richardson
Redraft Pick - Merle Van Nistelrooy (R3, P10; 38 OA)

40. Vancouver Whalers
Original Pick - Thomas Liebold
Redraft Pick - Sillysauce McTartersauce (Undrafted)

41. St. Louis Scarecrows
Original Pick - Todd Bowers
Redraft Pick - Ally Mathieson (R3, P4; 32 OA)

42. Colorado Raptors
Original Pick - Drew Sureshot
Redraft Pick - Ryan Quintana-Green (Undrafted)

Post-Draft Recap

Wow! Not as many swings and misses as I thought there would be. But, there's still plenty of time to see how the rookies develop and where they fall at the end of the season. If you saw your name higher than you were drafted, keep it up! If you've fallen a bit from your original draft position, keep at it.

Rookie Tiers

Now for what everyone's been waiting for! These tiers are based solely on TPE, but as the season progresses (i.e. if I find the time to do more of these), we'll begin taking a few other things, like on ice performance and forum activity, into consideration. Without further ado, here they are:

S Tier:

Mercedes Bayle - 247 TPE
Logan Webb - 246 TPE
Dominik Winters - 246 TPE
Theodore Svatos - 246 TPE
Furious Chicken - 246 TPE
Adelbert Steiner - 245 TPE
Oliver Castillon - 244 TPE
Levin Schattenaxt - 244 TPE

A Tier:
Thomas Liebold - 240 TPE
Filip Svatos - 238 TPE
Max Carnage - 238 TPE
Inactive Forever - 238 TPE
Bellamy Blake - 238 TPE
Finn Weib - 237 TPE
Jay Bryzi - 236 TPE
Scary Jerry - 235 TPE
Barg Hazbite - 235 TPE
Mick Mayhem - 234 TPE

B Tier:
Alexej Kastrba - 232 TPE
Matt Stro - 231 TPE
Shootin Blanks - 231 TPE
Foggy Nelson - 230 TPE
Andre Latreille - 230 TPE
Erik Erikson - 229 TPE
Marshall Madden - 228 TPE
Bob Wehadababyitsaboy - 228 TPE
Johnny FourStar - 227 TPE
Jordan Tanner - 227 TPE
Just-to-buy Me-love - 226 TPE
Thomas Sawschuk - 225 TPE

C Tier:
Aumy Junior II - 218 TPE
Might-go IA - 218 TPE
Drew Sureshot - 217 TPE
Andren Akerson - 216 TPE
Shnopple Lopple - 215 TPE
Luke Labrie - 214 TPE
Bear Trapp - 211 TPE
Donny Dangle - 211 TPE
Net Man - 206 TPE

D Tier:
Merle Van Nistelrooy - 199 TPE
Sillysauce McTartersauce - 195 TPE
Ally Mathieson - 195 TPE
Ryan Quintana-Green - 194 TPE
Brock Samson - 192 TPE
Kyle Baretto - 190 TPE
Aaron Ranger - 188 TPE
Crystal McLeod - 184 TPE
Larry Johnson the 3rd - 176 TPE
Dean Ventresca - 174 TPE
Bryce MItchell - 172 TPE
Bryson Basham - 165 TPE
Michael Cordero - 163 TPE
Dave Richardson - 160 TPE
Paul Matz - 158 TPE
Thor Odinsson - 158 TPE
Nate Gray - 158 TPE
Martin Csiszar - 157 TPE

Conclusion

Things are starting to shape up well in advance of the S71 SHL Draft. One of the best things to see is once we get closer to draft night just how much things change from now until then. We here at WhikiScout will be sure to keep you up to date with all the action as the season progresses. Keep accumulating TPE and we'll see you next time!

[2305 Words]

For once I didn't move down in one of these things!

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

I absolutely loved this! I was planning on doing one of these during the playoffs for the upcoming draft. Well done and I can't wait to see how this continues do develop!

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

04-03-2023, 01:17 PM39alaska39 Wrote: For once I didn't move down in one of these things!

Give me time Winters, I am coming for you. Starwars

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

04-03-2023, 01:21 PMspidey Wrote: Give me time Winters, I am coming for you.  Starwars
Don't worry, inevitably I'll get drafted 11th overall (as is tradition) and you'll be ahead!

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2023, 06:54 PM by JaytheGreat. Edited 1 time in total.)

How can I trust my rating if I'm not even listed under the right position?

[Image: DrbPYHV.png]   [Image: B4x6AQm.png]
Scarecrows Russia Wolfpack

Rest In Peace Dangel

1st SHL Goal - S52 Game 1 vs Tampa 3. New England Wolfpack , Jakub Bruchevski 1 (Eko Van Otter 1, Delver Fudgeson 2) at 8:10

Scarecrows Platoon Russia

[Image: F4iUWyS.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2023, 07:31 PM by Whikadoodle. Edited 1 time in total.)

04-03-2023, 06:53 PMJaytheGreat Wrote: How can I trust my rating if I'm not even listed under the right position?

I obviously did this on purpose just to make you mad.

04-03-2023, 07:28 PMWhikadoodle Wrote: I obviously did this on purpose just to make you mad.

You dare call yourself a scout? Jk, always enjoy your media.

[Image: DrbPYHV.png]   [Image: B4x6AQm.png]
Scarecrows Russia Wolfpack

Rest In Peace Dangel

1st SHL Goal - S52 Game 1 vs Tampa 3. New England Wolfpack , Jakub Bruchevski 1 (Eko Van Otter 1, Delver Fudgeson 2) at 8:10

Scarecrows Platoon Russia

[Image: F4iUWyS.png]

04-03-2023, 08:29 PMJaytheGreat Wrote: You dare call yourself a scout? Jk, always enjoy your media.

Junior Scout, reporting for dooooty

I just learned about the SHL analytics tool and my mind is blown that I don't have to put this stuff together by hand anymore

I wouldn’t trade @FuriousChicken for the world!
And yes he is S tier!

[Image: badwolf221B42.gif]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

This is a super solid class, and the retention has been great so far!

[Image: 2JcMUJm.png]