Create Account

S70 Championship Week

1 trivia

yepcwpain

7 milestones

yep +3 

15 teams are rivers

ya ok so you wanna know what weird ass civilization tile needs to be a team next well look no further than the florida swamps some of the countries best athletes have come from swamps like waterboy and jeff foxworthy ok yall need to start preciating the fact that this biome is one of the most important and valued ecosystems on our gods given green earth and the reason us florida kids were able to learn hockey was due to that nuclear winter we had that froze the water and instead of squishing spongy swamp with my feet I turn winger brains into sponge instead and thirdly the swamp would be the best team because you would get some of the greatest color combos of your life imagine all the everglade green and swamp green and moss green and seaweed green and crocodile green and pickle green and fern green and maybe some billy pissed in the swamp yellowgreen

1. DAD

a. Balanced lines are always the best ideas in my opinion. In the playoffs, you need everyone to play their best hockey. That’s why I think that having a balanced offense is better because your best players will help players that normally do not produce a lot, to produce more. Gunnarsson and Goobledygook proved that they belong to the elite.
b. To be able to stop a guy like Petr Svoboda, you need to put your best defensive forward in the ice at the same time as him. It reminds me of Phil Danault when he used to play for The Habs. He always shut down the best opponents and he managed to drop their productivity. Winnipeg has to use this strategy against Svoboda if they want to stop him.
c. I do not think that letting the opposing team shooting a lot is the best idea, especially when it is Winnipeg. This team is an offensive beast and they have some of the best scorers in the league. Even if Karsikko is on fire, you do not let Winnipeg shoot like they want on him. It is the same for Montagne. If you want to beat her, place your shots and Do not shoot low-danger ones because she will stop them.
d. Though choice to be honest. Unfortunately, the winner is known, but I think that Winnipeg would still have won it. They have the team to win it all. New England surprised me. I do not think they would manage to go that far. If they managed to do it, I’m pretty sure they can win it all. When I heard who was playing in the finals, I said that it would be difficult for Winnipeg to beat NEW, as they crushed everyone in the playoffs.

3. I remember when RART played his last WJC Tournament. He completely dominated as Finland’s number one goalie. It was during S58 or S59, I don’t remember. But man, this last WJC was monstrous for RART as he averaged below one goal per game and +.940 save percentage. These stats were insane. This kind of stats would not be able for DAD to achieve because he is a forward. But I dream that he will dominate like RART used to. I really want DAD to be a great Finland’s player, as I think IIHF and WJC are awesome moments. We get the chance to play with players we do not play with during the season and we cheer for a nation (maybe a fake one for some of us) and we’re invested in it. I hope that one day, people will remember DAD as one of the greatest Finland’s player, like RART used to be. Go Finland!

6. Many goals again
Many assists too for DAD
More points than last year

7. MILESTONES

17. i feel so sad for Winnipeg. They did everything they can to win it all. They also managed to have a decent defensive core as their lines were balanced. The GMs built an awesome team, but they lost again. I truly wanted them to win it all this year. Not that I don’t like NEW, but I am a big fan of Winnipeg. JURT played his last year and I know that winning this cup with Gunnarsson would mean the world to him. I truly believe that Winnipeg deserved to win the cup, but GG to NEW, you guys did it all to win and it paid off! Congrats to you!

[Image: dad.png]

David-Arturri Donskoi
Regina Elk
Hey I'm DAD can I adopt you?

CW trivia - 3 tpe
verification word: spam

3. Written, 3 TPE, History Repeating (150 words min.)
Tell me about something good that happened in your SHL career which you hope will happen again! What is it, what will it look like? Did it happen to your current player or one of your former players? What can you do to stack the odds in your favor?

Having just finished my rookie season there weren’t many real milestones or achievements that can really be repeated. It was a season of firsts like first point first goal, first playoff series win, things that are made special because they are novel. Of course, those are some of the most important moments in one’s career and who wouldn’t want to re-live their first professional goal. But after the first point there was always a hunger for more, to chase that feeling in every game. Being surrounded by talented players on the inferno definitely makes this chase a little bit easier. The luxury of being able to go out and make mistakes while having teammates that are more than capable of backing you up is a privilege that does not go overlooked. Hopefully this means that I will be in a good position to achieve some of those milestones and make those memories that make a career.

5. Written, 3 TPE, Blood on the Ice (150 words min)
Continuing with the branding wars: this year's final features the return of the glowing bear god against a fresh opponent - a mighty wolfpack! This one seems slanted in the bear god's favor, but don't count the wolves out so easily! Tell me who wins and why! The arena and the rules of the fight can be whatever you desire. Get creative!
This is really no contest bear god takes a pack of wolves any day of the week. Even a regular, secular polar bear would give a pack of wolves a run for their money. Polar bears are absolutely terrifying on their own, far more than grizzlies. However, if this contest was a battle of wits instead of a straight up fight, I like the wolves’ odds. In this case I feel the contest should be a regulation game of basketball. I’ve seen air bud so I know its possible for dogs to play and a polar bear would have the balance to stand on hind legs for some time. This one could really go either way. On the one hand the polar bear has a significant height advantage at roughly ten feet tall making dunking much easier. However, the numbers and agility advantages with the wolves should not be taken lightly. What it will likely boil down to is ball movement and coaching as the deciding factors.

6. Written, 2 TPE, Hopeful Haiku  (5 words min.)
Write a haiku telling me what you hope to accomplish in Season 71! A haiku is a three line poem where the first line is five syllables, the second is seven, and the third line is five again. None of your lines may rhyme with each other.
Up and down the ice
All five moving in tandem
Not an orange cone

17. Written, 2 TPE - The Procrastinator Special! (100 words min.)
Congratulations, procrastinator!  Through my most gracious scheduling error, you’ve won a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Who were you hoping would take it - Winnipeg's redemption tour or the fresh-faced Wolfpack? What did you like or not like about this season?

There were a lot of surprises this season especially in the playoffs. Our first series against Baltimore was much closer than I would have liked and expected but our loss to the forge was not surprising though still disappointing. I don’t think many people had predicted New England to go as far as they did taking down some of the leagues top teams like the Forge and Montreal who I thought would have fared better based on their solid goaltending. I am pleasantly surprised to see New England do so well considering their position in the standings at the end of the season.

15. Written, 3 TPE, Teams Can Be Rivers Now? (150 words min.)

Since Team Rhine is now a thing in the Juniors wing of the IIHF, name a geographical feature, such as a river, mountain, plateau, or your mother, that should be the next to have a team! Why does this feature deserve a team, like the Rhine? How good would this team be? Would you transfer to it?

I feel like most of the major rivers in the us share their names with states which would make them pretty confusing as team names. However the US does have the Chesapeake Bay on the east coast which would be a much better name for a team. While there are loads of national parks that would be cool too but they have a lot of similarities between them. The bay has some pretty unique characteristics which would make it stand apart from some of these other fantastic natural features. For example, there is a theory that its origins come about from a meteor impact based on its hydrology, and has its own mythical creature with Chessie. Would make a good mascot.

PT pass

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)

CW Trivia: Stone
SMJHL Milestones +3 TPE
ISFL Affiliate (Username Atox)

Task 2: Grab Bag
B: It seems nearly impossible to stop Svoboda as they have just the innate skill to offset any defense thrown at them and score points.  A really deep understanding of offensive with elite puckhandling and positioning on offense, and the offensive IQ to match.  It's difficult to be physical as Svoboda has the physical traits to throw the body as well.  My best guess to stop him would be to key in on him directly whenever he is on the ice.  When New England sets up in the offensive zone, cut off all passing lanes to him.  Keep the puck out of the neutral zone as much as possible as well to avoid odd man rushes.
C:  35 shots allowed per game is brutal to face as a tendie.  Even if these shots are mostly low quality shots from the point, facing as many of those as Olof has is incredibly stressful and can lead to rebound chances or what-have-you.  Whatever issues New England is having with stopping the puck and mitigating opposing offensive chances they need find a way to fix it cause you don't know if the magic will run out.

Task 5: Blood on the Ice
It seems frankly impossible for the wolves to beat a literal god creature in terms of killing or greatly wounding it.  My best guess would be to re-adjust strategy to harass the bear or to hide and make the bear bored and leave.  Obviously in the context of a fight and especially in an arena where there are not places to hid or ways to avoid detection this would become difficult if not impossible.  This also assumes the wolves have the intelligence of a human and can understand the implications of this matchup before it occurs, and since wolves are apex predators, they do not have the instinct for evasion that a natural prey animal would.  The god bear should know and understand this and be ready to process what this pack of wolves will do.  If the wolves act attack, the god bear can easily wound them either identically to how a real bear would, or whatever god power it has.  If the wolves cower, it should behave like a human hunter to hide and lure out the wolves to prey upon them.

Task 16: Home Turf
I think the United States could hold the IIHF and World Juniors permanently and with relative ease.  You have numerous locations with usable hockey rinks available in a whole host of cities across the country including cities such as Seattle, Atlanta, New York, Chicago, etc.  This would help alleviate problems such as the events dragging on due to frequent games or games going into overtime (as seen in the 2020 NHL bubble), and could reduce travel by simply placing both Group A and Group B in locations with multiple rinks within a reasonable distance (eg. Group A in both Staples Center and Honda Center, Group B in two of Madison Square Garden, UBS Arena, and Prudential Center).  There is an issue of logistics or conflicting needs, as you would need to negotiate with venue owners on when games can occur if during the season (eg. December-January) or will need to find methods to keep the ice in good quality during the summer.

[Image: 1wgIGr9.png]
[Image: MEAGHER.png]
Credit Maxy and Merica for sigs
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2023, 02:05 AM by Randominoe. Edited 1 time in total.)

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer.
Rando
I consider the Aurora to be much more than simply the glowing bear, it is a presence in it of itself. It can be in all places or just in no places at all and is caused by uncontrollable forces in our universe and solar system. Wolfpacks are mighty, no doubt, and the greater the numbers that they travel in the more danger that they pose to their opponents, but for me, the mascot/logo battle would undoubtedly be won by the Winnipeg team. Further, Winnipeg is known for its whiteouts, both in the arena and outside of it. No matter the size of a wolfpack, the elements of the natural world can often be cruel and harsh, and in a geographical location such as the center of Canada, there isn't much that would survive such extreme winter conditions. Ultimately, the wolfpack's sheer size and strength proved me wrong as they managed to overcome all odds to defeat the glowing presence/bears.
6. Written, 2 TPE, Hopeful Haiku  (5 words min.)
On ice, a newcomer
Fresh team, fresh home, fresh triumphs
Victory beckons

7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
+3 TPE
14. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)
Vrana is playing in the IIHF for the second time in his career and the WJC for the fourth time in his career. In the case of the former, the federation as absolutely on a downswing in terms of recruitment and overall success, so it will be a challenge to witness any relative success in the upcoming international tournament. Vrana is still looking for his first IIHF goal with Czechia in one of these tournaments, so that is the goal in S70. As for the WJC, UCORCAL was oh so close to glory back in S68 when they nearly dethroned the DACH supremacy (now RHINE). With Vrana heading back for a fourth season in the SMJHL in search of a championship at the junior club level, this is his second-to-last chance to acquire the elusive WJC gold with what looks to be a strong squad. Anything can happen once the knockout stages begin, however, so luckily there is one last chance next season if all goes awry.
Procrastinator here! 90 minutes until the deadline and counting. As a member of the Winnipeg organization, I am once again left devastated at the outcome of this season's Challenge Cup playoffs, being taken down in the finale by the Wolfpack. I have many friends playing down south in New England, and while it is nice to see them so ecstatic about their triumph, I am deeply saddened for all those working hard in our locker room to bring a championship to this team. Would I say I'm surprised that the playoffs shook out this way? Considering I went on a spree of activity such that I failed to submit my predictions before the deadline, I would say that the mere existence of the playoffs taking place was a surprise.

Trivia Verification
JWS

SMJHL Milestones

[Image: AgentSmith630.gif]
Thanks to @sulovilen, @the5urreal, and @sve7en for the sigs!
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2023, 02:29 AM by taterswc. Edited 5 times in total.)

1. Tater
2. Grab Bag
A. I don’t think it is bad by default to run your scorers on the same line. I think it is bad in this case. Winnipeg has about 200 tpe more per player than the wolfpack. If your top line can just ram goals down the wolfpacks throat, then it is fine but spreading out your big guns would give you better matchups against the Wolfpack.

B. You don’t. Petr is a force that cannot be contained. Not only does he score goals in his sleep, but he also has great support all around him. Winnipeg will have to dig deep and make sure Petr is well covered or he will be a problem for them.

C. Olof has always been a beast. His SMJHL rookie season he had 8 shutouts. Now he has almost double the saves of any other goaltender in the playoffs. And still an above 90% save percentage. When your goalie stands on his head in the playoffs you let him. You let him take every single shot and try to make a play with it.

D. Winnipeg has only dropped 3 games all playoffs. The wolfpack has gone to game seven every game. The wolfpack has played more games so they have had more practice. They are warmed up and ready to go the distance. Winnipeg hasn’t had to deal with game 7 pressure yet. The wolfpack only knows the heart racing fear, excitement, and energy that comes with game 7 after game 7. They won’t be dined after coming this far.

5. Blood on the ice
This seems like a great fight. Warning like game of thrones wolves die in this story. Lets set the ground rules and have at it. there is one glowing bear god that probably eats normal bears for breakfast. Then there is a wolfpack that for hockey theming will consist of 15 wolves but fight in groups of 5. the arena will be a forest which is the home of wolves and presumably glowing god bears. The winner is the last team or god bear standing. Let the finals battle begin. The fight begins with the wolves using a 5 point formation to surround the god bear. They need to tire this bear out if they want a chance to win. The glowing god bear strikes first blood taking down a wolf that got too close. A new wolf slots into the formation. The wolves get some attacks in on the god bear while it dispatches another wolf. The god bear gets a third wolf and is feeling confident. Shockingly for the god bear it loses in game 7 and the wolves howl in triumph.

6. Haiku
We won the cup once
We will try for it again
Can’t beat the repeat

7. Claim 2 Milestones

17. Procrastinator special
Based on my predictions this year I can say playoffs did not go as expected. I was expecting the wolfpack to win our first series, so when it went to game seven I was pretty worried. I did not plan on us taking down Montreal, so that game seven was an even more worrying affair. Philly looked so strong in their games. I was hoping we take a game or two off them but instead we took them to game seven again and won. My heart couldn’t take all of the game sevens. But my stance changed once we beat Philly. I knew we were the underwolves but if we could beat them we could beat Winnipeg. Winnipeg looked as tough as they come. Only dropping 3 games in their run to the playoffs. But in another patent pending wolfpack game 7 we clutched it and won’t it all. I had absolute faith in us as long as no one checks my playoff bracket.

[Image: qm0v49d.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2023, 02:19 AM by diacope. Edited 12 times in total.)

1. raiya rabinov [3]

3. I think my biggest accomplishment during my life in this league was definitley winning a championship, I won on my first ever player in Vancouver but haven't tasted the deep playoff atmosphere for years. Doing it where I play now on a rebuilding squad should only help add more stories on how our team went all the way and would be an better experience than before being the juiciest part to any players career after a long go, especially being in the big league now. Not sure when exactly we'll be at the top of the standings but it won't be much longer than a few seasons. Picturing it I can see an excellent group of teammates with a strong bond, the only thing I think the team will need to tip us a little over the scale would be more players in general and that's only going to be a small problem after the draft. [3]

4. On this question I again gotta go with a past venture since I don't know much about the league yet or have met any rival players or team I'd gear up to face.. the team I'd like to have as a rival, despite how good they are, is the Winnipeg Aurora.. Formerly known as the Jets. I was picked in the first round way back on my first sign up and fell off the map because of workload and being part of a different league. Not much else I can say other than the identity is sick and would be nice to have them around for a few more games a season plus it would give us more momentum, respect from the other teams moving forward and even more potential for free agents eyeing a new chapter in their career who want to knock a top dog out of the mix. [3]

6. Time for the madness,
No more with the bad habits,
Next boost our status [2]

7. https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid3359283 [3]

17. Whenever scouting the teams beforehand the Wolfpack looked to be a tough opponent for the returning finalists and it ended up being so, I was rooting for the Aurora for their redemption tour but the new kids who I don't know much instiguished that.. Mostly why I defaulted a team I actually knew. I will say that how bad New England handled Winnipeg early in the series surprised me though, overall I'd say it was a fantastic finish for one organization who made strides so no hard feelings but it hurts a little to see dynasty take a loss when they were about to add another chapter to their story. [2]

[16/16]

Platoon RAIYA Platoon RABINOV Platoon
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2023, 01:53 AM by MCP_.)

+16 TPE

Code:
1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

+3 YEAH

Code:
2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Winnipeg made the finals last year and came up just short against the Forge. Last year, their offense ran through Mikko Rashford - this year, their top line has been much more of a balanced attack, with Gonzo Gobbledygook and Lias Ekholm-Gunnarsson stepping up hard. Does this make Winnipeg a stronger team, or would it be better to spread this firepower out and run multiple scoring lines?
b. New England finds themselves in a similar situation to Winnipeg's last year: star winger Petr Svoboda has an absurd 30 points in 23 playoff games at the time this is posted. 18 of those are goals, 12 are assists: how do you shut this guy down?
c. Olof Karsikko has made 823 saves in these playoffs, nearly twice the number of saves made by Winnipeg's Rebecca Montagne. What can New England do to help their tendie out? Or should they settle on a strategy of allowing their goalie to face a high volume of low-danger shots to get in the zone and stay hot? Alternatively, how can they rattle Montagne?
d. If it ain't broke don't fix it: Who you got? Who wins? Why?

+3

a. If the real-life Seattle and Dallas series has taught me anything, it's that 4 scoring lines can be deadly. However, a top line that gels together will tend to do a lot of damage as well. I would say it would depend on overall team chemistry, but in general 4 scoring lines are better than one. (56 Words)

b. You only shut this player down three ways: he's taken out of the game (which is not ideal in terms of penalties), you have your best defenseman parked on him all night (which is risky in itself if a team has more scoring options), or you hope to whatever god out there that he cools down. (56 Words)

c. While over 800 shots seems like a lot, all of their series went to 7, so it averages to 40 shots a game, although it's still not ideal. The skaters for the Wolfpack need to keep the puck away from their net if they want to reduce scoring chances significantly, though it seems like Karsikko can handle high volumes of shots if need be, albeit unreliable. (66 Words)

Code:
Continuing with the branding wars: this year's final features the return of the glowing bear god against a fresh opponent - a mighty wolfpack! This one seems slanted in the bear god's favor, but don't count the wolves out so easily! Tell me who wins and why! The arena and the rules of the fight can be whatever you desire. Get creative!

+3

The bear god wins.

It is an unfair question, since the bear god, as its name implies, is literally is a god. Mortal beings like wolves can't do anything to a deity. The wolves can make up whatever rules they want (or other people/creatures with sentience), but regardless of who makes the rules, or even what kind of rules there are - 100 vs 1, 100000000 vs 1, buzzsaws in the ground, fight to the death/fight until down; it doesn't matter, the bear god still wins because it's a god. Even in a numbers fight, the bear god could split itself into as many entities as it pleases with the same power, so no dice there. It is an exercise in futility for the wolves regardless of how they are able to frame themselves, because the bear god can do anything. They're just regular wolves, and there's nothing they can do about it. All hail the bear god. (158 Words)

Code:
6. Written, 2 TPE, Hopeful Haiku  (5 words min.)
Write a haiku telling me what you hope to accomplish in Season 71! A haiku is a three line poem where the first line is five syllables, the second is seven, and the third line is five again. None of your lines may rhyme with each other.

+2 TPE

Rookie of the Year
Barracuda Challenge Cup
Turn off the Xbox

Code:
7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE

Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 7 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post your claim in the milestones thread for tpe earned per stat, and then link that post in your CW submission. This is done because the person who grades CW will be a different person than double-checks milestones.

+3 Claim

Code:
Congratulations, procrastinator!  Through my most gracious scheduling error, you’ve won a special task! [TEAM] has won it all! Were the playoffs as you expected this year, or were there some surprises? Who were you hoping would take it - Winnipeg's redemption tour or the fresh-faced Wolfpack? What did you like or not like about this season?

+2

Kind of. I had New England make the finals, but I had them pitted against Seattle, because I think they're still good (I was too busy trying to graduate college okay?) Regardless, it was a very plausible finals and a plausible outcome that could be predicted fairly easily if you followed the league enough. Between the two though, I guess I would have had New England take it since it's a Luke team, and Luke is a good gm. The season was fine, but 70 seasons is a great accomplishment. The seasons are going by faster than when I started, so hopefully 100 is sooner than later as well. The only thing I didn't like was that Tampa didn't win the cup, but patience is a virtue or something. (129 Words)

[Image: MCP_.gif]
     [Image: ICON1.png][Image: lions-button-updates.png]