Create Account

S70 Championship Week
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2023, 01:42 PM by Salming. Edited 3 times in total.)

1. CW TRIVIA, 3 TPE max - 1.5 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer. This is completed through a Google form linked below. Make sure to spell your answers correctly or you will not get credit. Post your verification word in your CW post.

Verification word: Borje

2. Written, up to 4 TPE - Grab Bag: Pick up to 4 Challenge Cup related topics to write about! Each topic is worth 1 TPE. Each answer must be 50+ words.
a. Winnipeg made the finals last year and came up just short against the Forge. Last year, their offense ran through Mikko Rashford - this year, their top line has been much more of a balanced attack, with Gonzo Gobbledygook and Lias Ekholm-Gunnarsson stepping up hard. Does this make Winnipeg a stronger team, or would it be better to spread this firepower out and run multiple scoring lines?
b. New England finds themselves in a similar situation to Winnipeg's last year: star winger Petr Svoboda has an absurd 30 points in 23 playoff games at the time this is posted. 18 of those are goals, 12 are assists: how do you shut this guy down?

a) It makes Winnipeg a stronger team, yes. We also faced it in the conference finals. Last year we lost in G7 OT but this season series was over in five games. It was a disappointment but we just couldn't defend our leads well enough because Aurora had so many good scorers. It was impossible to stop them all and same will happen to New England.

Words: 65

b) Svoboda is a guy who is pretty easy to shut down. Just defend neutral zone with 1-2-2 and sometimes even use 1-4 trap. Four guys defending own blue line is enough to keep every opponent without points and goals. You just need to be sometimes aggressive also in the board battles so opponent can't have space and time to find team mates in the offensive zone.

Words: 66

3. Written, 3 TPE, History Repeating (150 words min.)
Tell me about something good that happened in your SHL career which you hope will happen again! What is it, what will it look like? Did it happen to your current player or one of your former players? What can you do to stack the odds in your favor?

William Salming would like to win again SHL title. It happened him twice during seasons of 67 and 68 with Seattle Argonauts. We won historic back-to-back title for the first time in a very long time. It was nice to party with team mates two years in a row. You will never forget about those feelings because both wins came on game seven's against same team, Manhattan Rage. But on both times we were better. First win was a blowout, 9-1 or something like that. Second one was much closer and we won only thanks to Lilja's late game-winning goal. Memories are forever in my heart. Amazing atmosphere in our home rink. Simply great. So yeah, those two years I would like to experience again. It was fun to play regular season too as a reigning champion. We were the team everyone wanted to beat so it was a good challenge. But I doubt it will happen again but you can always dream of it.

Words: 165

7. Milestones, up to 3 TPE
Milestones are folded in with CW. So just link your Milestone claim as task 7 for up to 3 TPE towards your 16 total.

+3 TPE - S70 Milestones

14. Written, 3 TPE, IIHF Analysis (150 words min.)
Write your predictions for this year's IIHF tournament or WJC! Tell me about your team! How far do you realistically expect to go this year? What nations do you want to match up against, and which do you dread? What are your expectations for your player?

Like always, I expect big nations to succeed. Canada, Sweden, Finland, Russia and USA are powerhouses which should dominate IIHF event year after year because hockey culture is there something else than in for example in Japan, Great Britain, Ireland, Austria, Norway or Latvia. Canada and Sweden dominated round robin last year and I expect them to have now even more success in the playoffs too. I also expect that Germany's hockey will continue its rising season after season even though two seasons ago they were already in a bronze medal game and on the other hand success of other rising hockey nation Great Britain was a positive surprise. Germany is lead in the attack by Steve Harrington who is a good hockey player as are defenders Jonas Kahnwald, Kermit Murphy and Dee Centerman IV. From Nordic countries I expect that Finland will again strong this year because goalie tandem Smith-Carpet is elite even though Carpet is now younger version and they have good forward group. They are ready to win again like on season 62 and S64 and S66. When it comes to Russia, I expect the same. They are way too big hockey nation to underperform again which means everything lower than achieving a gold medal.

Words: 208

16. Written, 3 TPE, Home Turf (150 words min.)
Rotating host countries is expensive and politically challenging. Local governments have to maintain sufficient arenas to host an event that comes around once a decade and popular sentiment is changing against olympic-style sports in general. We may have to pick a permanent home for the IIHF! Naturally, this should be your country, so state your case as to why your country is the best candidate to permanently host IIHF!

Finland should host IIHF every year because ice-hockey is a national sport there like it is in Canada. And Canada doesn't want to host ever World Championships because they just host World Juniors. So it is natural that Finland is a permanent host. There is always a huge demand for tickets among audience and people will always fill the venues in Tampere and Helsinki when World Champs are in Finland. Atmosphere is sick, we already saw it last spring in Tampere when Finland played in the finals against Sweden in SHL and Canada in real life. Those were great matches. Finland also appreciates players from smaller countries and cheers for them. So yeah, in my opinion Finland is a clear number one choice to host IIHF's top tier event. Vamos! In the end I would like to also mention that even though Finland is sometimes expensive country, host organisation is a reliable group of people so bosses of IIHF could sleep in peace because Finland would always host great games without problems.

Words: 172

[Image: salming.png]

GM pass

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

cw pass

[Image: glutes2.gif]
Signatures by Vulfzilla, Jepox, Jess, rum_ham, Ragnar, and myself
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]
[Image: tkMQzhf.png] [Image: tdKmZA0.png]

Simmer CW Pass

[Image: Caleb_H.gif]

GM Pass

[img=0x0]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/889201044154904606/1150524829653536909/mikko.png?ex=65bff03f&is=65ad7b3f&hm=7f3229285f883239ca6017785e905ed3ff0a8b42b94f57638f43c11a5e635414&[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/4028.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5431.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5570.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7241.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5906.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/6149.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7950.png[/img]

CW Pass

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2023, 04:42 AM by OrbitingDeath. Edited 1 time in total.)

I put a placeholder in and forget to use it, so jump to page 7 for my CW

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)

SMJHL HO CW Pass

[Image: thedangazone.gif]

CW Pass

[Image: 3WSeHAA.png]

GM Pass

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

GM pass

[Image: macgriddlesig.png?ex=6531467b&is=651ed17...9ee2d84f&=]
Finland  Stars  Berserkers

SMJHL GM CW Pass

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2023, 07:01 PM by Aneeqs. Edited 2 times in total.)

ISFL PT

1. CW Trivia - 3 TPE
Verification word: pog

a. I think we have seen in the past that having your offense ran through one player can struggle in the playoffs when you are facing a really good team that has the ability and the tactics to shut down opposing star players. One team that comes to mind is Manhattan when they used to have star player Kev Kevens and would play through him in the playoffs and end up getting shut down in the finals.

b. As I had mentioned earlier, I do think teams that rely on one specific player can really struggle in the Challenge Cup series as the other team usually has means to deal with the issue. However Svoboda has been as consistent as possible throughout the entire season and if there was one goalscorer that could turn the tides in this series, it would be him.

c. I think it would be beneficial to Olof Karsikko to have a shorter series for once in the Challenge Cup. He has played an absurd amount of games all throughout the playoffs and could really use a break. All of his series' so far have gone to 7 games and I am sure his defence could put in more effort to help him out given how tired he must be.

d. I think the Winnipeg Aurora finally beat all their playoff demons and win it all for once this season. They have been playing on another level heading towards the end of the season and it would be hard to bet against them given their current form. On the other hand, New England is probably tired and has not shown any consistency throughout their time in the playoffs.

3. One of the most eventful events that happened in my players career was my player getting traded from the Calgary Dragons to the San Francisco Pride. As someone who at the time had not suited up for the Dragons, I found the value that San Francisco gave up surprising considering I had yet to show any potential at the SMJHL level as well. However I have really enjoyed my time on the San Francisco Pride with my GMs Caleb and Toast and I think they have done a great job trying to build a strong locker room where everyone can be friends with one another. They have given my player the room to kick in another gear in his progression as he looks to prove his GMs right and wants to be a player the San Francisco Pride can depend on for many years to come as they look to finally end their rebuild and battle in the playoffs for a Challenge Cup.

Cw pass

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

PT Director Pass

[Image: zN6tB52.png]