Create Account

The Vyacheslav Onoprienko Trophy

Good morning, gentle people of the SHL. I am here today to talk to you about a pressing issue that is very near to my heart - the continued inconsistency and questionable nature of the Vyacheslav Onoprienko Trophy.

For those who do not know, the Vyacheslav Onoprienko Trophy is awarded in the SMJHL to the "most underrated player." On the surface, that sounds nice. But things get much more confusing from there. Here I will present three points of objection to the way this trophy is currently handled.

- First: this trophy needs to be renamed like yesterday. I know it's named after a player, but "Onoprienko" is the name of a prolific serial killer who murdered fifty-two people (that we know of) in the 90s, including a whole bunch of children (some of them WITH A FUCKING AXE). I know the first name isn't the same as the name of the serial killer, but we probably wouldn't have a trophy called the Albert Bundy trophy or the Leeroy Dahmer trophy and I think this one should probably be renamed as well.

- Second: This award is described as the "most underrated player" award, but after some very confusing discussions, we've been told multiple times that it's actually a user award. But when it's presented on the awards show, it's all player names with a bunch of stats for those players. Which one is it? Is it a user award or a player award!? If it's a player award, why are we told it's a user award, and if it's a user award, why are we getting stats info at all? We get hounded about submitting nominees for this award every season and I still have no idea what I'm actually supposed to talk about. When I lean on stats, we don't get nominated, and when I talk about user stuff, we don't get nominated because the player did something crazy like "broke a bunch of SMJHL records so they're not underrated." I grow weary of putting in the effort to do this only to be told every season that I have done the wrong thing, and never seeing any results from it.

- Third: Regardless of what the award is or isn't, I think that all nominees should be shown somewhere. This is the only award that GMs are responsible for doing a writeup for, and it's a bummer that we spend all this time on writing something for this thing only to never have our nice words see the light of day unless we go out of our way to post them somewhere or send them directly to the person, which feels weird.

In conclusion, I propose three things:

- Rename this trophy to something that doesn't share a name with a guy who famously and brutally murdered 52 human beings
- Clearly state what the award is for, and stick to it.
- Present all team nominations, not just the three that are finalists

Thank you for your time

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

Easy Peasy. Name it the Jeff Goldblum award and it goes to the user who is constantly posting great food pics and recipes in their respective LR. I will then win this award and it will be named after my favorite actor. Its really a win win situation we have going on. It will encourage more LR activity

[Image: d2EaZfr.png]
Former Player

05-17-2023, 11:49 AMSewingWithNancy Wrote: Easy Peasy. Name it the Jeff Goldblum award and it goes to the user who is constantly posting great food pics and recipes in their respective LR. I will then win this award and it will be named after my favorite actor. Its really a win win situation we have going on. It will encourage more LR activity

I don't actually hate this.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2023, 11:57 AM by spidey. Edited 1 time in total.)

The first thing has been discussed at length in the awards committee and should have a resolution shortly. We completely agree with your statement and was a major reason we are looking to change it.

I agree with the second as well. Clarity on the award itself.

As for the third, I disagree. It would be terrible to show all the write ups. What if a GM didn't present any of his players under a great light. What if a GM is terrible at writing finding the right words and only submits a couple of sentences while another GM pens a novel. The first GM and his players will be upset by this. There is too much human error placed on one person to allow all GM write ups to be shown. I would be fine with the top 3 but not all.

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

05-17-2023, 11:57 AMspidey Wrote: The first thing has been discussed at length in the awards committee and should have a resolution shortly.  We completely agree with your statement and was a major reason we are looking to change it.

I agree with the second as well.  Clarity on the award itself.

As for the third, I disagree.  It would be terrible to show all the write ups.  What if a GM didn't present any of his players under a great light.  What if a GM is terrible at writing finding the right words and only submits a couple of sentences while another GM pens a novel.  The first GM and his players will be upset by this.  There is too much human error placed on one person to allow all GM write ups to be shown.  I would be fine with the top 3 but not all.
What if a GM is Spidey and the other is not Spidey

Thank you to @Revontulete for the sig![Image: Edzus_Ozolins.png?ex=661b6612&is=6608f11...0f071bc3c&]
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2023, 12:00 PM by spidey.)

05-17-2023, 11:59 AMSeany148 Wrote: What if a GM is Spidey and the other is not Spidey
Laughing

Never again with GMing. I have done my time.

Sig by Lazyeye
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

As much as I dislike equating an incomplete name so something specific, I can get on board. In fact I can get on board with re naming most of the awards. They are in general from a time long gone and have lost a lot of meaning to their origins, and some like this specific situation can be pretty easily conflated with a very bad human being.
I have trouble with a lot of awards as well because players and users get confused. Additionally moving goalposts need to be addressed. It seems like every season we have people talking about there being different credentials for specific awards and it never is clearly defined or explained.

This thread should probably be moved to general discussion though, as my understanding is it's attempting to spark up conversation over changes to be made?

Have a good day.

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

05-17-2023, 11:57 AMspidey Wrote: The first thing has been discussed at length in the awards committee and should have a resolution shortly.  We completely agree with your statement and was a major reason we are looking to change it.

As for the third, I disagree.  It would be terrible to show all the write ups.  What if a GM didn't present any of his players under a great light.  What if a GM is terrible at writing finding the right words and only submits a couple of sentences while another GM pens a novel.  The first GM and his players will be upset by this.  There is too much human error placed on one person to allow all GM write ups to be shown.  I would be fine with the top 3 but not all.

As for the third, I think there are a few possible solutions here. One is that you show all of the nominees without the write ups. This still gives credit to all those that were nominated without showing a novel’s worth of writing. Another would be what you said, top 3 but include their nomination write ups. Personally, I’d be fine not seeing the write ups if we were able to see all of the nominees. This is supposed to be, as I was told when I was a J GM, an award for the user. Even though the may not see why they were nominated, having a user see that they were nominated by their GM for this award is still something that I think would be very nice for the user.

[Image: lap-teamsig.png]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]

05-17-2023, 12:05 PMFuzzSHL Wrote: As for the third, I think there are a few possible solutions here. One is that you show all of the nominees without the write ups. This still gives credit to all those that were nominated without showing a novel’s worth of writing. Another would be what you said, top 3 but include their nomination write ups. Personally, I’d be fine not seeing the write ups if we were able to see all of the nominees. This is supposed to be, as I was told when I was a J GM, an award for the user. Even though the may not see why they were nominated, having a user see that they were nominated by their GM for this award is still something that I think would be very nice for the user.

I would be good with this.

Sig by Lazyeye
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

What if GMs could opt in or out of their nominee being shown publicly? Maybe some people who don't want to/aren't able to put as much effort into it could opt out, and people who spent an hour writing something nice that just gets chucked into the void could opt in and somebody could feel nice about themselves even if they didn't win.

I'm a big fan of people hearing nice things about themselves. I have been caught up in a lot of nonsense lately where I found out that somebody said something mean about me behind my back, and it's a bummer, but I have to say, finding out that somebody said something nice about you that you weren't expecting is for me personally about ten times as much of a positive impact than the "oof" of any amount of negative behind-the-back trash talk.

05-17-2023, 12:09 PMsköldpaddor Wrote: What if GMs could opt in or out of their nominee being shown publicly? Maybe some people who don't want to/aren't able to put as much effort into it could opt out, and people who spent an hour writing something nice that just gets chucked into the void could opt in and somebody could feel nice about themselves even if they didn't win.

I'm a big fan of people hearing nice things about themselves. I have been caught up in a lot of nonsense lately where I found out that somebody said something mean about me behind my back, and it's a bummer, but I have to say, finding out that somebody said something nice about you that you weren't expecting is for me personally about ten times as much of a positive impact than the "oof" of any amount of negative behind-the-back trash talk.

Another great idea!

Sig by Lazyeye
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

I was just happy to get nommed, but I do think that there should be definite clarification on it being a player vs user award

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

Casual J off season when this award is hotly argued about... looks like we are here!

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

For what it's worth when I was J awards head I took both stats and GM write ups into consideration but the writeup was the main focus. To me it didn't seem like it was in the spirit of the most underrated award to have people winning the Ono and like three other awards. I'm not sure if that's still how they do things though.

As for renaming it, it's something I wish I would have done. A possible solution would be renaming it after @JackCross, the user who created Onoprienko, for all their great contributions to the site, which someone who was around when they were can speak more to. Another would be to find someone active and deserving of more recognition and name it after them.

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]

[Image: bhLfeta.png][Image: UbL0bdg.png]

05-17-2023, 12:39 PMSDCore Wrote: Casual J off season when this award is hotly argued about... looks like we are here!

sorry i was gonna talk about it a couple weeks ago but i was busy lmk next time when a good time is for you