Create Account

S71 PT #0: Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

Please pick ONE prompt to write about. Do not mix and match prompts. Identify the prompt you are using in your submission - Copying and pasting the prompt will deduct from your word count so if you do this make sure YOUR submission is 150+ words excluding the prompt.

PROMPT 1: Your player has come to a horrible realization - they are a fictional entity that exists only on a website for hockey nerds, and now have to come to terms with the truth of their existence.

WRITTEN TASK: Tell me how your player came to this realization and how they respond to the knowledge that their existence depends on this site's servers not going down, and their career goals depend mostly on the fourth-dimensional Entity's willingness to keep doing point tasks.

GRAPHIC TASK: Show me your player's existential crisis.

PROMPT 2: Your player has either been informed or discovered personally that some nerd-ass fan has created a version of themselves in an online sim league.

WRITTEN TASK: Tell me how your player reacts to this information. Do they give the fan an exclusive selfie to use as their sig? Do they sue for likeness abuse? Do they create a player themselves just to see what it's like?

GRAPHIC TASK: Show me your player's honest reaction to that information - that sim hockey leagues exist and some unrepentant dork made a version of them therein.

You will receive 3 TPE for fulfilling all requirements.

All responses are due on Sunday, May 28th at 11:59 PST. NOTE: IF YOU SUBMIT/EDIT AFTER THE DEADLINE YOU WILL RECEIVE REDUCED/NO TPE.

Affiliate claims from either PBE or ISFL or WSLB or SSL are accepted; link directly to your post and note if your username is different there.

If you have any questions/concerns, please PM me. Tasks with malicious intent will not be graded. The graders reserve the right to determine malicious intent, after discussion with me. You will not be warned.

This task is for SHL players and send downs only, it is not for SMJHL rookies.

[Image: zN6tB52.png]

PROMPT #1:

Sir Devoir would surprisingly take the news that he is a fictional entity decently well. He already knew that he was rather bizarre in the grand scheme of things, being a talking Pokemon who lives in a log cabin, was born in a circus, and who plays hockey goalie for a living. He then decided that the best way to keep himself sane is to just do his best to keep that knowledge in the back of his head and try his best not to think about it or tell anyone. However, in trying not to think about the nature of his existence, it just keeps creeping up on him, especially when he was sleeping.

He occasionally has nightmares about it, and eventually tries to use psychic abilities to force it out of his mind with meditation. Eventually though, he comes to one assuring conclusion: if his existence is determined by the whims of a fourth dimensional Enity typing on a website, then in the end nothing he does matters, therefore he doesn't have to worry about anything.

[Image: wfm-sig.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]

Prompt 2:

Sven Petterson is overall a very laid back and chill person, so when he found out that a “superfan” of his had created a version of him in an online sim league he was extremely flattered (that is, after he inquired as to what a sim league was). “What is that – is that like a fantasy thing? Oh, he made a version of me specifically for a fake hockey league? That’s pretty cool I guess, I hope I’m better in his league than I am in mine.” He didn’t stop there though. He told his agent about the situation and asked him to get in touch with the young fan. According to sources, Sven met with the 13 year old fan for lunch where he took numerous photos and signed memorabilia. He also has personally purchased season tickets for the fan and his family for the upcoming season. “I just think it’s cool to have such a big fan. Maybe having him in the building all season supporting us in person is the last piece of the puzzle for us to winning a title.”

184 words

It is not something my player would be able to grasp. The metaphysics of alternate realities and multiverses are concepts hard to understand. It would open a lot of discussions about life, what is real and what is the meaning of our existence. The question has a very Matrix-vibe, and I am sure Ekaterina never saw the movies.

She would not be able to understand that she does not exist. The hardest thing would be the lack of agency, that life does not and cannot exist outside of games. Ekaterina is in control, or at least fears the lack of. She will cheat, lie, and would try to regain control, so she might contact two or three old Soviet mad scientists to try to open a portal to this new dimension.

But it would answer essential questions about her life, and her reality. After all, WHY THE HELL VANCOUVER ICE IS GREEN?!?

---
Ekaterina Valieva - Baltimore Platoon

[Image: 0KH34qN.png]
Thanks @Lazyeye for the sig!

Affiliate PBE PT

PT Pass

But also, Oliver Castillon is going to have a crisis and then ignore it.

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

Wow, I can't believe it. After winning our world juniors semifinal game, I'm in the locker room with all my comrades and everything is grand. Or is it? All the sudden, the world seems to fade away and all I see is white in every direction. On the floor, in large print, I see "404 Error, File Not Found."

Oops! Just a glitch, a voice says off in the distance. Who is that! What happened to my teammates! What happened to the IIHF?

Please do not be alarmed. I am Simon T, the creator of this place. Long ago, you were just words on a page. But now, look at how far you've come! You skate with your teammates, on real, two dimensiomal ice! You check and can be checked. When you score a goal, everyone comes with you to celebrate. Trust me, this is better than what you had before.

I stare at Simon in a daze, shell-shocked, and unable to speak because of the glitch.

Let me just finish patching this update, and all will be well.

The world comes crashing back in. We're celebrating the win. We're going to the finals! What just happened? Was it all a dream? Who is Simon T?

(212 words)

Task 2:

William Salming would be just honoured if someone as a fan would like to create similar player profile than Salming has. Of course William would be willing to give an exclusive selfie for a profile picture if needed. There are not many casual fans who really understand the importance of two-way game in the ice-hockey so that is the reason why Salming would be just happy to see if someone would like to replicate it in the internet world, hah. Salming would maybe give some tips to that fan how to boost his player's attributes and how to edit small details so his game would be as close as possible compared to Salming's in the sim world. But yeah, there wouldn't be any hard feelings for fans who would copy player profile of Salming. I am not sure William would signed up himself to that website but he would of course ask about fan about the progression always when seeing him in the stands at the Argonauts' home games.

[Image: salming.png]

This is honestly the easiest decision for my player - Mercedes Baylé. Baylé would want to make that BANK and sue. There's no reason that anyone should be using MY likeness in a fake world. I mean, it's just fake. Are you just telling me that there are dots going around on a screen and people are doing silly little tasks where they make fake money and I am supposed to let someone use my beautiful face to make "signatures" and make fake money off me. There's no chance that this is happening. There's just no way I am going to let this happen. These people probably need to get real lives and get off the internet for a bit. I mean, you better at least pay me if you want to use my face or likeness. So, after I send a cease and desist and the person does not listen, I am going to be suing them, not for fake money, but for real money. Good luck with that, nerds.

Words: 174

[Image: huNeCNb.png]
Thank you OrbitingDeath! <3

Task 1

Pass Forfeit would be fine. He already has a crazy name so he'd be chill with the fact that he doesn't exist. Wait a minute... does not existing imply that he never got drafted first overall? Is hockey even real? Does it even matter at the end of it all? Pucks in deep. Pass shoot score... Pass Forfeit. Forfeit the game... End it... Nah it isn't that serious this is just a fake internet hockey league run by people with free time. I'm sure Pass can handle that as long as he doesnt go crazy at night with constant existential daydreams of the time beyond retirement... On that note is retirement considered death? If a player goes on to be a GM can they live forever as long as that GM leads the team forever? If the word limit for this pt was higher I'm sure we'd get into levels of introspection that were considered impossible until now.

Pass Forfeit (D) ● Player Profile
Kraken Rage Panthers

[Image: esilverm.gif]
Special thanks to Blitz, jhockey, and Ragnarr for the gorgeous sigs <3

[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

Cup Noodle just won the challenge cup with the new england wolfpack and while he thought that this would bring him immense pleasure and joy, he has started to wonder why the hole in his heart isn't really feeling filled in.  When he woke up this morning he looked in the mirror and the truth struck him like a lightning bolt.  He was not living in the physical world, but rather trapped within an elaborate simulation. The hockey league he believed to be his reality was nothing more than a digital construct, meticulously designed to deceive him.

Every goal he scored, every bruise he endured—nothing more than lines of code manipulating his simulated existence.  But rather than let this truth consume him, Cup decided he would fight the powers that be.  Rather than fighting his opponents for every point, he would fight the simulation overlords by spreading the truth about what was really going on.  He would continue playing, and attack the simulation from within, bringing truth and enlightenment to all who desired to be truly free.

He became SHL's Neo. Neo Noodle.

[Image: source.gif]
[Image: image.png]

Angry Gilmore would find it pretty awesome that someone liked him enough to think about creating a player like him in an online sim league and took the time to make it a reality!

He would ask the Renagades’ media team to send merch to that nerd-ass fan as well as invite them to spend a day with them in Texas playing golf and seeing what the team facilities looks like. He would end the day buy taking pictures with the sim league member so that they could keep it as a souvenir as well as use it for their sig. He would also take the time to speak with the fan about what the sim league is like to see if he would like to subscribe.

After this (because of course the thought of playing fake hockey would sounds fun to him), Angry Gilmore would create the most unhinged, cross-checking, PIM accumulating player the league as ever seen.

Getting ready because there is only 364 days before the next hockey team selection   Renegades

[Image: Ggpmsvy.png]

Code:
WRITTEN TASK: Tell me how your player came to this realization and how they respond to the knowledge that their existence depends on this site's servers not going down, and their career goals depend mostly on the fourth-dimensional Entity's willingness to keep doing point tasks.

During one cold and rainy night when Ben Jammin was sleeping he had a dream where his entire life of being a world famous DJ and also a professional hockey player is all an illusion for some sort of simulation hockey league online. All of this hit Ben pretty hard when he realized his career and life depended on the real life individual who is keeping him alive on this sim hockey league forum. He just hopes that the person who is making Ben Jammin treats him well and to keep him alive for as long as possible. Ben realized that since his existence is out of his control, he will just enjoy his life to the fullest and to continue being an awesome DJ, popping some bloons in his downtime and to help his hockey team of the Chicago  syndicate and vibe out with his teammates. Ben also wants to ensure that the person who created him in this league takes time to take care of themselves as well! 

(170 words)

[Image: Jammin.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: zS2lCMp.png] [Image: ixmZA3M.png] [Image: pxjucze.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png] [Image: IhVx0wj.png]

Thank you @High Stick King @OrbitingDeath @Ragnar @Tesla for the player signatures! 

Prompt 1: When Lias finds out that he is only a simulation, his first thought is wow, so many things suddenly make sense. So many things he has chalked up to the universe hating him make a lot more sense as results of a questionably designed visual sim engine. Like the times when he has to do the same play six times in a game and it feels like he's in an endless loop like Groundhog Day or that Russian Doll show with Natasha Lyonne in it. Or the fact that sometimes it feels like portions of games just fly by in a blur and then he's forced to watch every excruciating second of every time anyone ices the puck. It explains why a lot of people are so mean because they definitely would never say half the stuff Lias hears them say if they were real people saying it face to face to other real people. All in all, Lias thinks that he doesn't really care if he's a simulation, he's just going to keep living the only life he knows how to because he's having a good time.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: nbb.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

PROMPT 2

Petr is honored by attempt at recreating him. Afterall, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and anyone attempting to bring the glorious nation of Czechia such praise as he does, not matter how big or small (or virtual) is worthy of praise. The word of Czechia deserves to be spread, and, one day, gold will be achieved. Anyone willing to go to such lengths for our great nation is doing us, me, a great honor. In fact, how would you like a position in the ministry of intelligence?

Out of character, this reminds of the fact that the real life Czech consulate in Switzerland followed our SHL Czechia team twitter account. I'm not sure if they now we're from a fake hockey imitation of their national team and don't actually have any Czechs on the team, but aw well. I imagine if they knew, they wouldn't follow us anymore, but there is that question if they care.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]