Create Account

Johnny FourStar - Pre WJC Finals Interview

Johnny FourStar, Sweden Seek Gold in WJC
An Article by Dick Shivers

The WJC holds a special place in my heart. There's nothing more important in life than suiting up and giving your best for your country, and the WJC is the premier opportunity for young hockey players to put on that sweater for the first time and understand what a team, a team that you are with for life*, truly means. (*exceptions exist)

Johnny FourStar had a phenomenal rookie season in the SMJHL. But, given the depth of Vancouver's rookie class, including three other Rookie of the Year candidates, it was easy for him to get lost in the shuffle. But, Johnny FourStar has shined on the international ice for Sweden this season. With 7 goals and 6 assists in twelve games of round robin play, Johnny found himself in the top three for goals scored in the entire tournament's round robin - shooting a phenomenal 16.67%.

"I left it all out there on the ice" said Johnny. "You don't get the opportunity to play for your country every day. I'm a hockey player, always have been. I live for moments like this."

More importantly, Johnny FourStar led a Swedish team to a berth in the elimination rounds. Sweden, a team that not many thought highly of coming into this tournament, did just enough to stay alive - finishing 6th out of 10 teams.

"It was important for me to keep playing," Johnny told me. "Our loss in the SMJHL playoffs was devastating. I didn't want to feel that way again, especially because another chance to play on this squad is not guaranteed. These teams, especially the north american squads, are always stacked. We took care of business and got into situations that we thrive in - win or go home."

Sweden has since shocked the juniors world. First, Sweden knocked off the USA in a 6-3 barnburner. Then, Sweden beat fellow underdogs and fierce rivals Finland 5-1 to send the team to the Finals against Team North America.

"Offense, that's all it is," FourStar quipped. "We have to score if we want to win this tournament. We have to be aggressive, keep it up on the forecheck, and get pucks to the net. We will capitalize on other player's mistakes."

Team North America are also surprising entrants into the finals game. With a round record of 4-8-0, the only regulation wins for the squad are against Team ICE. The remaining two wins were shootout victories against... Team Sweden.

"We won't let it get to that point again," exclaimed FourStar. "One game was 0-0, another was 3-3. We have to finish them off early. Every other team can do it, we've beat them 5-1 in the other contest we had. They can be beaten, we just need to bring home the gold. I'm sure my teammates and I will be motivated and we will get the job done."

Team Sweden plays Team North America tonight for the WJC Gold.

[520 Words]