Create Account

[2X Draft Media] ESS: First Best vs First Next

[2X Draft Media] ESS: First Best vs First Next
[Image: 066.png?compress=1&resize=400x300&vertical=top]

I think you could make an argument that in every draft, league or tournament there is a#1 and a #2 fighting it out to be #1. I’m not a sports genius when it comes to every single league or tournaments in the world, so I’m really unsure how much I can talk about them. I do think they do most of them, though whether it’s a draft or a tournament, there often is this similar style of competition between a group of two or maybe three. In the NHL you see it all the time with drafts or careers. McDavid Vs Eichel, Crosby Vs Ovechkin, McDavid Vs Matthews, etc. often, you are comparing a specific player to another. I don’t think it’s very often when a player comes along with McDavid, where you can’t really compare him to anybody. The very much can be said about the SMJHL. You typically can compare the first and second overall as the gap isn’t too great and the outcome could very well be somewhat similar. ELITE!

In this little ESS article, we’re going to take a look at the first overall player selected in the SMJHL draft, then head on over to the player that was selected second overall in the SMJHL draft, and then we are going to deep dive, and compare the two players. You got the guy who went first best and then guy who went first next. How do they match up against one another? Where do we think they’ll end up during and after their junior careers? What are our dark magic predictions for each player's junior careers? Let’s pop the lid off this one and head into First Best, First Next, BABY!

First Best - 1st Overall
Kazuchika Okada
219 TPE
Picture

[Image: gfdsgfdgfdsshgfdhgdhgfd.png?strip=all&qu...340&crop=1]

Anchorage Armada selects Kazuchika Okada 1st overall in the S71 SMJHL entry draft. What is this draft selection of surprise to anyone?  I don’t really think it was. The player is currently sitting at 219 TPE and has done absolutely everything they can do to improve their player up until this current moment. They join the league in April 2019 and have over 1000 posts since that time. Furthering onto this, they have $166 million in the bank so I think it’s safe to say they’re set for their career when it comes to earning that sweet Money. Everything when you look on the surface looks absolutely amazing when it comes to this prospect. They’re a big bodied defenceman coming in at 6‘3“ and weighing 236 pounds. What you have standing across from you every single night is a massive Japanese, highly skilled defenceman that is wanting to whoop your ass. At the moment it seems like they are very well balanced, and can do a little bit of everything for their team, which is going to be a huge plus moving forward.

First Next, 2nd Overall
Artturi Lappalainen
211 TPE

[Image: 5829.png]

With the 2nd overall pick in the S71 SMJHL Entry Draft, the st. Louis scarecrows are proud to select, from Helsinki Finland, Artturi Lappalainen. So what do we make of the second overall draft selection? A lot of the same when you’re comparing them to the first overall draft selection. One of the biggest differences here is the fact they are 4 inches taller at 6‘7“. While they weigh about 10 pounds less this is still a massive body coming at you with huge height. They’re going to be laying punishing checks and that’s what this player does a little bit better. I think the first overall is a little more rounded out so you get a little more upside with them. With the big Finn,  you’re going to see that defensive game a lot more and that checking is going to be huge for them. Digging a little deeper, this player still has $83.7 million sitting nice and crisp in the bank. I don’t think they have too much to worry about there! Their updates are looking good, their builders looking good and I think they’re gonna be a really strong force in their junior career. Very solid pick here at 2nd overall.

FINAL ESS ANALYSIS AND PREDICTIONS

At the end of the day in the draft, each team is getting an exceptional player here. Which one is going to be the best? It’s hard to answer that and I think the more important question here is who is going to be the best at what? I think Okkodo may end up being the better rounded, slightly more offensive defender. I think, because of this, he might come off as being a little bit better, however, Lappalainen might be the presence you want more when the puck is on your half of the rink. They are going to play a little bit more of that tough and rough game. Remember there’s 6’7” 220 pounds coming down on the side of the boards you happen to be on. You might just shit your pants the first time!

I think both players are going to have very successful, progressive, and productive SMJHL careers. In terms of which player is going to be better? I think right now we’re obviously gonna have to tip the hat to the first overall selection but it’s going to be a very close battle and I think this number one and number two battle is gonna go on for most of their careers if they can stick it out and reach their full potential. This battle is going to be fun to watch for many, many seasons.

Quote:935 words, 3 pics, DOUBLE SMJHL DRAFT MEDIA