Create Account

s55 Manhattan Rage Magic The Gathering Creature Cards

I was recently scouring my google docs and stumbled upon a media idea that I had been outlining back in the day. I recall this media piece being inspired by a PT that was released during my first-gen’s SMJHL days. As with most of my media concepts, I remember being a bit overzealous with my plans… aiming to essentially create Sig type artwork for each card and I’m decently sure that was the reason I abandoned the project in the long run. Still… the bulk of the concepts for the cards remained, and since the project was somewhat nostalgic to me, I figured I’d resurrect the idea while cutting some corners. Mainly, I decided I’d just do minimal photoshopping and leave each render as an “on ice concept”. To touch on the nostalgia aspect, not only did the PT fuel my motivation, my friends and I used to make decks with this sort of card creator back when we first started getting into playing Magic. I made a 300 (movie) themed deck and remember others printing out things like Star Wars and Halo decks. So needless to say, I had some experience with this sort of thing and it was easy to get wrapped up in it. I actually didn’t leave any sort of clues as to what season’s roster these cards were based off of, so I had to do a bit of research in the index to figure it out.

I set some guidelines for myself that I wanted to follow for the whole thing. The “deck” is Red and Black to represent Manhattan’s primary and secondary colors. I tried to stay within the bounds of the type of mechanics you would see real cards of the respective colors would have. Red represents offensive minded players, mainly players looking to shoot the puck, while Black would represent everything else… since Black in Magic is known to be able to do pretty much anything at a cost. The only place I feel I deviated from this plan would be the goalies, which I’m assuming is because I related Defender to a Red mechanic rather than Black. The card’s rarities are determined by their total TPE; Commons are less than 1300, Uncommons are 1300 - 1600, and Rares are anything over 1600. Captain and Assistant Captain players are automatically bumped up to Mythic Rares and given the Legendary Creature card type. The mechanics of each of the cards is based on the style of play of the player and was my main focus here, I just sort of winged it when it came to the mana cost and power and toughness on the cards… so if those don’t look quite right I’m not too worried about it. I will say, in doing my research on real Magic cards I came to realize that a lot of these cards are pretty… “vanilla”, but I wasn’t about to go back and change everything around as all I really had left to do was the artwork and creation of the cards.

For those of you that know Magic the Gathering the only thing that you need to know is that “Veteran Presence” is a mechanic that I made up for the set. It would basically read something to the effect of “Whenever [Card Name] or another Veteran comes into play, creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.”, sort of inspired by the “Ally” subtype.

For those of you that don’t know and want to learn, here are some links if you are interested:
How to Play
Here you can learn how to read the cards I’ve made along with the general concept of how to play Magic.
Keywords
Here you can find many of the keywords/mechanics that I’ve used on the cards and how they affect game play.

Man… I should’ve made a JY GM Planeswalker card…

[1121 words] (includes words on cards)

Love this.

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

yeah I do like that role for Doskocil, very fitting

Manhattan Rage | General Manager
[Image: sig-hlemyzd.png]
thanks Sulovilen for the sig!
D | Great Falls Grizzlies | Player Page | Update Page

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]
[Image: image.png]