Create Account

Shuttering the Thunderdome

thunderdome led to productive discussion for me in recent days. that discussion will just happen elsewhere, in the exact same way.

i'm sayin this as a supporter of thunderdome and as a fan of the reality tv high school drama that took place in it but y do people think that it was perfect as serving as a lightning rod pulling all toxicity away from the rest of the site

like ya it was good for wen people wanted to get some shit off their chest but there's still so many cases of people airin shit out in media or piling onto a post in general transactions when a gm fucks their team with a shit trade. the site's not gonna look any different it's not like the thunderdome was this perfect, contained vessel keeping all the toxicity out of an otherwise clean website

[Image: OzriPox.png]

Player Page - Update Page

artermis,Feb 2 2017, 04:11 PM Wrote:9gag pretty lit tho

I'm going to post so many rage threads in the fuckin bank forum now instead

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

when theres an issue that deserves genuine attention i guess ill just post it in the media or smthn? or shl discussion? genuinely changes nothing

06-11-2023, 11:57 PM.Laser Wrote: while i agree that inclusiveness and attempting to remove hatred and anger is a good thing, the notion that removing a section of the site alone will remove or reduce divisiveness in the community is quite frankly laughable.

there will be other places that shit like what was once in the thunderdome will pop up. media, general discussion, other such things. I don't believe it is the view of head office that removing the thunderdome will remove the toxicity, but if it is then it's an incredibly naive outlook.

instead of removing an easily monitored outlet for the bullshit that shitters good and bad will post, my personal opinion is that severely cracking down on behavior in the thunderdome should have been the first step, for the sole reason that it addresses the problem at the root rather than cutting off a branch - a very big branch that's important to the tree, but that it can very easily survive without. negativity will persist literally everywhere unless we burn it from the ground up.

props to HO for attempting to make changes for the better on the site regardless of my personal opinions. not a bad decision by any means and I do not intend to bash HO, simply an alternative outlook.
media requires users to at least try to be articulate though rather than “say the funny line”.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

06-12-2023, 12:15 AMboom Wrote: media requires users to at least try to be articulate though rather than “say the funny line”.
in theory yes. however theory and practice rarely coincide. i also don't believe that the thunderdome was removed for the memes, and while I may have I don't think I implied that

[Image: laser.png]

[Image: Virrok.png]
Thanks to EAB and sulovien for the sigs!

but yeah while heated discussions will still happen because people gonna people, writing media doesn’t lend itself to the hit pieces that took place in the thunderdome and at the very least we’re not implicitly encouraging that kind of stuff anymore and I think the site can self-police its behaviour without that space hanging around to complicate it

i think theory and practice coincide relatively often am i nuts

[Image: OzriPox.png]

Player Page - Update Page

artermis,Feb 2 2017, 04:11 PM Wrote:9gag pretty lit tho

06-12-2023, 12:19 AM.Laser Wrote: in theory yes. however theory and practice rarely coincide. i also don't believe that the thunderdome was removed for the memes, and while I may have I don't think I implied that
I think we’re collectively moving past the time where the edgelord behaviour is no longer being popularized like it was before the pandemic, and this really just formalizes it.

06-12-2023, 12:06 AMGeckoeyGecko Wrote: honestly i worry that this will lead to an even cliquier site. Without somewhere to vent these discussions, I worry that they'll stay in LRs and other echo chambers, leading to further division and animosity. Or maybe I just miss my like weekly source of drama.

e
Edgy people already tend to get funneled into the same few LRs from my observations where it reinforces itself.

06-12-2023, 12:22 AMboom Wrote: I think we’re collectively moving past the time where the edgelord behaviour is no longer being popularized like it was before the pandemic, and this really just formalizes it.
I don't disagree but I don't see how that applies to my point - and also don't believe that the primary reason to remove the thunderdome was to remove memery and othersuch. Am I misreading what you're saying?

06-12-2023, 12:28 AM.Laser Wrote: I don't disagree but I don't see how that applies to my point - and also don't believe that the primary reason to remove the thunderdome was to remove memery and othersuch. Am I misreading what you're saying?
I just meant that inflammatory shitposters were already becoming an increasingly rare breed, and this is basically just taking away their head office-sanctioned playground because it’s holding us back, at least how I understand it.

When I joined this site over 5 years ago, I was warned by Mufasa @nour NEVER to go into or post in the Thunderdome.

While it once seemed to be THE place for INTENSE discussion, it has steadily become an archaic relic that served no useful function. Closing it to clean up clutter is essentially administrative and a net positive.

Perhaps in the future we will have civil, if passionate discussions about topics under the General Discussion heading.

[Image: CptSquall.gif]

06-12-2023, 12:09 AMJumpierPegasus Wrote: I'm going to post so many rage threads in the fuckin bank forum now instead

Tag me when you start one

Player Page || Update Page

[Image: a5C9JXf.png]

CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER
MONTREAL IMPACT FOREVER

06-12-2023, 12:31 AMboom Wrote: I just meant that inflammatory shitposters were already becoming an increasingly rare breed, and this is basically just taking away their head office-sanctioned playground because it’s holding us back, at least how I understand it.
Ah, I see now. I can agree with that sentiment certainly. I understood it that the quote unquote "license to be a douche to people because there's a place for it" was being removed but your point is also very true.