Create Account

Know Your Knights: Rocky Orwell

*video on Knights YouTube Channel opens with the zoom on a hockey jersey that slowly pulls back to reveal the Knights Logo, then cuts to Crystal McLeod, now wearing a C on her sweater, and Rocky Orwell*

Crystal McLeod: Hi everyone! And welcome back to Know Your Knights! We released only one episode last season but it went over really well so we're bringing it back! I'm Crystal McLeod, number 20 on the team. With me today is Rookie Defenseman Rocky Orwell! Rocky, how's it going?

Rocky Orwell: Everything is good! I'm very excited to be here, it's my first real interview ever so I'm just really, really excited!

CM: Great to hear it! So at the time of recording, pre-season is about to start, you've been practicing with the team for a bit, how are you liking Kelowna so far?

RO: I love it here! The team is so nice and welcoming and wants to push me to do my best. It's been really nice to have people catch my mistakes and not be judgmental about it. And about the city, I've never been before this and I honestly think I was missing out! I love my hometown– I'm from Bellevue in Nebraska, but there's so much water here and the weather is amazing, I could live here forever honestly!

CM: Hey we're glad to hear you've felt welcomed on the team. That's something that's really important for me. And yeah, the city's beautiful. I actually just moved here permanently in the off-season. Great place. As a fellow American, how's the adjustment been to Canada? Hopefully the culture shock wasn't too awful

RO: I am going to be as candid as humanly possible here... the bagged milk is terrifying. That's the one thing that's been totally weird to deal with, like, I got a place pretty quickly, it's not too hard to find my way around on the bus, but I went shopping for the first time and I was kind of speechless looking at liquid in a bag, I literally didn't know what to do with myself. And I couldn't find, like, a normal jug?? So I've been milkless for a week. To anyone listening this is me asking to borrow some milk.

CM: Ha! Yeah the bagged milk is weird, man, I'm still not used to it. But it's how they do it up here, so I've tried to adjust as best as possible.

So let's do some quick easy questions to get to know Rocky. What's your favorite food?

RO: I think people would expect me to say corn on the cob, because, like, Nebraska. But I'm going to say barbecue ribs. Also I might interject and change that answer later. I've never been able to *definitively* answer this question.

CM: Fair! And yeah I get it, I'm from Ohio and the cornfields haunt my dreams. Favorite Movie?

RO: Too easy! My Cousin Vinny with Joe Pesci and Marisa Tomei, I think her name is?

CM: That sounds right. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?

RO: I think right now I'd like to go to visit Alaska, especially Mount Denali and the glaciers. I love the cold and mountains and forests but I probably couldn't live there long term because of how much sun there is all summer!

CM: Well we play Anchorage, I don't know how close those places are to there, but you might be able to take a day trip!

Moving from Rocky the person to Rocky the player, how would you describe your playstyle?

RO: I hope so! As a player, I feel like my role is way more on the defensive end of being a d-man. I feel like I work really well on the PK, and I've been working on putting myself into situations where I use the body a bit more. I'm not looking to be as much of an all-rounder as people have been saying but I would like to contribute offensively a little bit, even if it's only breaking out of our zone and passing.

CM: Ya know, everyone loves offensive defenseman, but having a solid presence behind you as a forward is always comforting. If I make a mistake I like knowing the person behind me is ready to get the puck back

RO: Oh, man! I mean, I wish there was an SHL team in Nebraska! My allegiance is kind of split between Chicago and Minnesota, so going to either team would be super awesome! I've also been super curious about Winnipeg and I want to look at their needs this season a little more because I think they've got a great team next year. Their jerseys are also amazing, which I know shouldn't be a factor but it kinda is for me!

CM: Listen there's no bad reason to like a team! I hope one of your hometown teams gets you! 
Okay, last big questions for you: What are you looking forward to most this season? Are there any teams or players you're really excited to play with or against?

RO: Well, I made a few really good friends on draft night and I'm excited for some healthy competition against them– shoutout to Leon Rizzton especially! I'm also hoping to put up some impressive stats, and get better as a player and a person. I really want to show everyone what I'm all about and that I have potential to help a team head to the cup. I know I was kind of a draft-day surprise, but I want to prove to fans, players, and myself that I earned that 5th overall spot. So I'm ready to play my best, work as hard as possible, and be flexible for our team needs!

CM: I'm really glad to hear that. Let's bring that Cup to Kelowna, huh?

It was great chatting with you, Rocky! We'll get this edited and up on youtube soon, and in the meantime, feel free to give a shoutout to anyone you'd like here!

RO: Kelowna's bringing it home! Thanks for chatting with me too, Crystal! I'm really excited to play with you. I guess I want to shout out Oskar Samuelsson and Ana Parast for being so kind on draft day, and Kelowna for picking me, and, to any Team USA IIHF scouts, please let me play in World Juniors. PLEASE.

CM: Haha, alright.

I'll see you at morning skate tomorrow Rocky, and to all the fans at home: We can't wait to see you this season. Goodbye, and fare thee well!

*video fades to black and Ken Theriot's To Serve The Lily begins playing then fades as the video ends*

[Image: 8FnCVh9.jpg.]

[Image: XigYVPM.png]

[Image: UmZVJaz.png]
[Image: 6gdbFeP.png][Image: auXbs4O.png]
[Image: 1oMA17u.png]

Love it! Young Knights looking good!

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride