Create Account

Axel Hämäläinen SMJHL availability presser

I had the opportunity to sit down with Finnish national Axel Hämäläinen who recently exercised his out-clause in the Russian junior league to come overseas.

Press: Thanks so much for taking the time to sit down with us Axel. I just want to pick your brain regarding the decision to leave Europe behind and come play hockey in the Americas. What motivated this move?

Axel: Thank you for having me. To be honest, Russia is very *bleep*hole country. My apologies, can we swear on here? Very cold, very boring, even less to do than in Tampere. Head of state is also committing war crimes and such, the times are very unstable. Lots of whispers that the Russian juniors will not be able to pay players soon. It was a no brainer to continue training in North America.

Press: We would very much prefer if you didn't curse thank you. I see so it sounds like you were pretty miserable over there. Still, I'm surprised to hear such strong critiques coming from you when you joined the league less than a month ago. Were you really not aware of all of these problems prior to your joining your team?

Axel: Well, there is a reason my agent made sure to get the opt-out clause. Of course I was aware of some rumours going into the season, but you never really know how things will turn out and I thought it was best to at least try to remain close to home. It's unfortunate that it didn't work out, but now I set my sights on joining a team in the SMJHL.

Press: Do you have a preferred destination?

Axel: I don't think so, not really. Just maybe not very boring and cold place. I don't think I would have very much fun playing in Yukon. Seems kinda cruel to put a junior team there. I do love Malamutes though we had two growing up.

Press: I'm surprised to hear that someone who grew up in Finland and nearly played junior in Russia would be so opposed to playing in the cold.

Axel: Sometimes when you grow up with things one way your whole life, it is nice to experience something different.

Press: The junior league here is much more competitive, are you concerned about playing in a reduced role?

Axel: No, I just want to help my team win games and continue to hone my abilities. It does not matter to me how big a role I get to play, as long as we are successful.

Press: How do you think you can contribute to your team's success?

Axel: I am a very fast and nice skater, I carry the puck with confidence, and I am always working on my finishing and defense. 

Press: Is there anything you might want prospective managers to know about you?

Axel: I am 100% committed to making a difference in North America. It may take me some time to acclimate, but I am in it for the long haul and have my sights set on becoming an every day SHL player. I'm also a great teammate who is easy to get along with and performs well under pressure.

Press: Best of luck in this next chapter of your career.

Axel: Thanks so much for the opportunity to speak with you today.

Code:
620 words

[Image: qqfzCsq.png]

Good to have you back! Good luck with your new team!

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
[Image: un22.png] [Image: 5tu6.png]