Create Account

S74 SMJHL PT #2 - Season Preview

The Vancouver Whalers completed their draft with no first round picks, but four active rookies:

RD - Niclas Wastlund - 228 TPE
RW - Bo Jangles - 227 TPE
G - Masked Stanger - 225 TPE
RW - Kolen Henderson - 193 TPE

With majority of the team's S73 roster graduating the SMJHL, these four players drafted are the hopeful for the Whalers' future. So far the four of these rookies have been steady earning and active through the start of the season, but it hasn't been smooth for the team. Vancouver didn't turn any heads this pre-season with a 3-4-0 record and the start of S74 has not been pretty either. The Whalers have the highest GA through the first day of sims and Masked Stanger is partly to blame. The rookie was shaken up in his first few starts but pulled together a great win with the team against Kelowna.

Three players to help us win games are: Masked Stanger, Colt Fox, and Remington Richardson III

Whalers  G - S75 Masked Stanger (my player) is starting his first season in the SMJHL as the Vancouver Whalers starting netminder. There's been a lot of goals let in early and if the team wants success then Stanger needs to save more pucks. Stanger is progressing quickly and will hopefully be more stable by playoffs.

Whalers  C - S72 Colt Fox is a fourth season vet for the team and runs the first line at center. Fox has yet to surpass a point per game throughout his career but is currently on pace this season. Fox will need to produce offense for the Whalers if making playoffs is the goal.

Whalers  RD - S72 Remington Richardson III is also a fourth season vet for the team, being the only defenseman on the team with a capped build. Richardson's play style has been more defensive than offensive throughout his career including last season's 165 blocks, 11th in the league. Richardson's defensive play will be relied on heavily in Vancouver this season.

Eagerness in Regina running high as we gear up for the upcoming hockey season, and the spotlight is on our trio of talented rookies who are set to be key assets for our team's success. Beanman Jr, rookie center, brings a unique blend of agility and playmaking skills to the ice. His exceptional face-off skills and ability to control the puck make him a formidable presence in the offensive zone. Violet Stoica (Center): Stoica, another rookie center, is a force to be reckoned with on both ends of the rink. Her two-way play and defensive awareness make her a valuable asset in various game situations. Inge Baardsen (Right Wing): Baardsen, our rookie right winger, brings speed and a scoring touch to the forward line. Her knack for finding the back of the net and creating scoring opportunities will be pivotal in bolstering our offensive capabilities. With Beanman Jr's playmaking skills, Stoica's two-way presence, and Baardsen's scoring ability, these rookies form a formidable foundation for our team.

[Image: geRnYPO.png][Image: 0S9kFQ6.png]
Shout out Ragnarr for these two amazing sigs

Colorado came out to a strong start this season. While they ended the first part of the season with a loss to Quebec City, the Raptors and their offense are showing out like never before. Right away, Shadow Fenix is showing off their offensive expertise as a center, with a 63% win percentage in faceoffs, and 5 points with three goals and two assists. Right alongside the best in offensive weaponry is Andrade La Sombra, who is already making an impact as a rookie player. With 5 points with two goals and three assists, and those goals all coming at even strength, La Sombra is a dangerous athlete during the times when the teams should be equals. The offensive capabilities are impressive thus far for the Colorado Raptors, and I expect them to continue their roll, even after the setback they faced at the hands of the Citadelles. With such a strong offense, the Raptors should be able to aggressively overtake a lot of the opponents, and the defense they present, and I hope the Raptors will continue those tactics and push through the rest of the SMJHL.

Code:
188 words

[Image: 9kneOLq.png]

PBE Afilliate

Credit to Meo for the sig
[Image: image.png?ex=6578da45&is=65666545&hm=61c...d8861e9fc&]

12-04-2023, 07:31 PMlore Wrote:
The SMJHL season is about to start, after we all got a taste of juniors hockey with preseason. In the 7-game span of preseason, teams got a pretty good look into what to expect, and also who the key contributors are likely to be. How is your team looking ahead of this season, and who are gonna be the main pieces of your squads?
Written option: Talk about how your team is looking ahead of the coming season. Include at least 3 players who will be key to the success of the team, plus an explanation why they will be crucial. Must include 150 words.
Graphic option: Create a magazine cover style graphic with a headline for the team, plus a render for a key player on your team's squad. Make sure to identify which player the render is supposed to be in the graphic.
Reward
3 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one, not both.)
Only S74 SMJHL Rookies (S75 SHL Draftees) are eligible for this PT.
Link PBE, ISFL, or SSL submissions here to get credit for affiliate claims.
Do not claim this TPE until a post is made in the claim thread.
Deadline: Monday, December 11th @ 11:59pm PST
The St. Louis Scarecrows are entering the regular SMJHL season with a promising outlook after a revealing preseason. The team's success will hinge on the leadership and scoring ability of one player, the defensive prowess and playmaking skills of another, and the dynamic play and scoring finesse of a third player. Together, this trio forms a formidable combination of experience, skill, and versatility. The team's captain provides crucial direction on and off the ice, while another player's defensive reliability and the third player's offensive flair create a well-rounded squad. As the regular season kicks off, the Scarecrows look poised for a strong performance with these key contributors leading the charge.

The Carolina Kraken went 3-4 in the seven games of the preseason, which of course does not matter, and I don't think it is really a tell of things to come (spoiler alert, Carolina already has that many wins in three less games in the regular season so far). Our top line of Walter Melon, Jack Keigan and Dag-Otto Bjorn were all above point per game in the preseason, so that is awesome. Our goalie, Stan Free, played really well too, going 3-1 with a 2.75 goals against average and a save percentage of .928. It is kind of a god send when your goalie does good since FHM does not give a singular fuck about goalies or how much work they put in to building their players. Overall I think we are a really good mix of old and new players, and I think if anything our defense could use some work simply because the core of the defense is pretty new still.

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤

The Raptors had a fairly good start to the season, going 2-1-0 for 4 points in 6 games. None of our games were against easy competition either, squaring off against Quebec, St. Louis, and Detroit. Two of which are top teams in the league! As such, I expect the Raptors to perform excellently this season. If we can beat top competition early on then that bodes well for us, especially since we managed seven goals against Detroit! That kind of high flying offense will only get better as we face weaker competition throughout the season.

We currently have six players scoring at a PPG or better, which is two full forward lines. It's early yet but if they can keep on that pace we're not going to be an easy team to outscore. Not to mention we have seven players just one notch below at 2 points in 3 games. I'm just saying you better hope our goalie has an off night, because the raptors can very easily drop 5 goals on you in an evening.

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=663a63f4&is=66391274&hm=70...8f89c3f46&]

I mean looking at Quebec now, you'll see how stacked we are. The all-star draft last season with the stacked rookies we picked up. Plus this seasons additions, including myself, have basically made us a powerhouse. With the seniors we have left, the juniors and sophomores rounding out the core and the rookies slowly building strength. We're a strong contender for the cup this season and many seasons to come. I would not be surprised for us to make a deep run in the playoffs, if we don't win it all. But going off of starts, Quebec is cooking. A 7-0 start is everything you'd want in a team like this. Get ahead of the pack and stay ahead of the pack. I think QCC is set up to be a dynasty and is gonna be a headache for a lot of people within the next few seasons.

[img=0x0]https://images-ext-1.discordapp.net/external/grUaWFD9ou9EjLV73AFr8OZ5Z5ZgBJHWeh35DDNtFgI/https/i.imgur.com/hQtmi8A.png[/img]
CitadellesCitadelles

isfl

[Image: zayn.png?ex=65e9b101&is=65d73c01&hm=c0f0...y=lossless]
Kyle Sux Lmap

[Image: Kr0blSe.png]

[Image: dinonuggets2.gif]
[Image: lIYTYDN.png]
Credit to Amidships & sulovilen

The Regina Elk are expected to go through some growing pains this season. They’ve had a bit of turnover at the top of the lineup, so they will be looking for some of their older players to help bring on the youngsters.

Mac Turner - the Regina captain for this season, Turner is going into his 3rd season in the J and will be looking to lead from the front. Centering the top line, as well as putting up workhorse minutes on Special Teams, Turner is a great example of the work these rooks need to put in to make it.

Philippe Le Bel - the Elk’s top Defenseman. In his final season of J eligibility, his physicality will help this team look out for the younger guys, until they get used to getting out of the way of the other teams’ Enforcers!

Violet Stoica - the Elk’s top draft pick this season, Stoica has all the raw materials to be Regina’s 1C in the near future. They just have to work hard and take cues from the more experienced players. How Stoica develops will have an impact on the next couple of drafts.

[Image: A3AlstA.png]

The Kelowna Knights are looking to work hard and improve all season long. They are not a favorite to lead the league but a strong team for anyone to go against. I think they will need their to players to step up and lead the way if they want to win a lot of games. First up at center let's look at Activity Check. He is going to play a lot of minutes and should be the number 1 center for Kelowna. He needs to eat a lot of minutes with many rookies around. Hopefully he can light the lamp and help lead the offense with his puck movement. Then how about a pair of Dmen. First Brooklyn Physt will be really important. If he sees Powerplay minutes he will need to blast a few goals from the point to make his presence felt. Last on Defense we have Rocky Orwell. He will need to play big minutes as well and hopefully shut the enemy team down. He might end up killing penalties and he has a great offensive touch if needed. Kelowna looks like they will be in a battle every game and rookie Mauga is happy to join them!

Much like they say that variety is the spice of life, goaltending too is the... something... of hockey. The Regina Elk's campaign will only go as far as their goaltending takes them -- and that responsibility falls on the shoulders of the Henri Losanov-Roman Cechmanek II tandem. If Losanov and RC2 can play well, Regina will have a fighting chance against the majority of the teams in the SMJHL. After all, you can never lose if you just never let the puck enter your own net. Foolproof plan, I say. Just don't concede.

Who will help these two gentlemen to not concede? Well, the blue liners will need to do their job. Led by stout presences like Troy McClure IIII (I ask you, dear reader, should that not be IV? Or am I meant to just let out a really long "i" sound?), the Regina defensive core's ability to limit the number of high-percentage scoring chances faced by Losanov and Cechmanek 2 will be tested this season. Whether or not they are up to that test is another question entirely, but we shall see!

Of course, if you choose to disregard those last two paragraphs (which is entirely within your rights to do, if you've got some kind of belief that the first two paragraphs of anything are worthless for some mysterious reason), you could also just say "simply score more goals". Yeah, alright dummy. I get it. If Regina scores ten million goals per game, surely they cannot lose. On their quest to meet such a lofty goal, they drafted Violet Stoica and several other forwards with the ambitious idea that if you just score ten million goals, you will not lose. Commendable ambition, not quite realistic, but Stoica and co.'s performances and their ability to link with the established group already in Regina will be the final piece of the puzzle (assuming they don't all throw the puzzle on the floor and light it on fire by conceding eleven million goals per game, which would instead cause them to lose each game by a not-entirely-insignificant margin).

This has been cutting hockey analysis. As they say in Regina, "Those Elks be Elkin'!"

Elk  Rage
[Image: cLeHjn1.png]
Sig by sulovilen!

The Vancouver Whalers look to be entering a rebuilding year and the early season metrics haven't been looking too good as they are giving up an average of 40 shots per game. Team defense will need to improve in order to see their early season success continue.

The key to sustained success this season will be the progression of their 3 rookie d-men Groaty Bronson, Niclas Wastlund and Max Hammer. If the rookies aren't able to step into their roles quickly the team will need to rely on sophmore Joulu Kuusi and rookie Masked Stanger to deal with a heavy workload.

On Offense Vancouver will look to Lily Jin Morrow to lead the way again and build off their 42 goal season form a year ago however that may prove difficult after losing 3 of their 5 leading forwards last year in Inactive Forever, Thomas Liebold and Aumy Junior II
They will look to returning Veterans Colt Fox and GM's Son to step up and help take some of the pressure off of Lily Jin Morrow.

Regina was pretty loaded with s71 players the previous season in an attempt to win the cup. It unfortunately didn't happen and the team lost their starting goaltender and the dynamic duo of Bailey and Love on offense due to these players aging out. So let's focus on those positions and what will happen next. The Elk will be relying on 2 rookies in net, Henri Losanov and Roman Cechmanek II. It won't be pretty at first but they have the chance to play behind one of if not the best d-core in the league. If one of them can catch fire near playoffs time you never know. Offensively, keep an eye on Mac Turner. He's clearly the best forward on the squad and a hell of a leader, nobody was surprised when he was named the new captain. Teams like Quebec and Detroit are the favorites this season to win the 4 Star Cup. But you never know in juniors, surprises can happen and Regina could be one of them.

[Image: opt6vpu.jpg]