Create Account

(GRADED)Deep Dive #1 More Expansion Ideas
(This post was last modified: 02-29-2024, 10:49 AM by CptSquall. Edited 1 time in total.)

Inspired by @cake307 recent Deep Dive, I decided to open up Google Maps and have a look myself. I wanted to be realistic about team suggestions but also have some fun creating a color theme and brand for each location - hope you enjoy!

1. Halifax, Canada

Now, I know what you're probably thinking that Canada already has enough teams but hear me out. Halifax is a hockey hotbed, with fans who are as passionate as they come. Plus, the city's got a rich history and a proud maritime culture. Just imagine the rivalries with Toronto or Montreal. Brand suggestion: Halifax Shorebirds

[Image: gDgpNt2.png]

But why the Shorebirds? The name fits perfectly for a team in Halifax due to its strong ties to the coast/ocean. Seagulls are renowned for their agility and speed, and the imagery of birds gliding over the Atlantic evokes a sense of freedom. Additionally, the name is distinctive and memorable, and somewhat mirrors longshoreman – alluding to the blue collared class that works up and down the docks of the Halifax harbor.

2. Boise, Idaho

Okay, I’ll admit from the start that I enjoy the name of the city. I like how it looks and I like how it sounds. Think of how many badass branding ideas you could come up with that went along with Boise – it’s a hidden gem just waiting to be discovered by the league. Boise's got that small town charm with big city amenities, and it's the perfect recipe for a successful location. Brand suggestion: Boise Frontier

[Image: AVol5MU.png]

But why the Frontier? The name pays homage to the city's history as a frontier town during the Gold Rush era. Secondly, it captures the pioneering spirit and suggests a sense of adventure and exploration, qualities that will resonate with local fans. Overall, the brand Frontier embodies the city's past, present, and future, making it a compelling choice for an expansion team.

3. Salt Lake City, Utah

Inspired by the real life drama surrounding the Arizona Coyotes of the NHL, I can’t help but pitch this one as a suggestion. I’ve been playing around with brand ideas for Salt Lake in my person time as I have a few ideas on the go with plans to use them in my offline EHM game. If you’ve been following the news, you know that the city is hungry for a team, so why not feed them? Brand suggestion: Salt Lake Guardians

[Image: PH1Ap6h.png]

But why the Guardians? I toyed with the idea of Stags but we have the Regina Elks. I did think of going with another animal native to Salt Lake like a toad or even a salamander but the reality of the Mormon heritage in Utah is too good to pass up. Guardians is ubiquitous enough to have a meaning for everyone, but in Salt Lake it just might represent a certain Guardian Angel.

4. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Dorothy, we’re not in Kansas anymore. This one is another personal bid of mine as I have been a storm lover by proxy, and because of my wife’s love of the movie Twister – I can’t help but pitch this location. Yes, I know we have the Blizzard as a brand, but there are all kinds of whether anomalies to bear witness to – so why not add another twist to this overall mix? Enough with the puns already – Brand suggestion: Oklahoma City Twisters

[Image: 1HcdZcN.png]

But why the Twisters? Oklahoma City is known for its wild weather so imagine a brand that brings that same energy to the ice? Fast, fierce, and unstoppable, and just like a tornado. It's a name that captures the spirit of Oklahoma City, a place where people are as tough as nails. Plus, it's got that extra punch that'll make the crowd go wild every time the Twisters hit the ice. The Oklahoma City Twisters isn’t just a team – they're a force of nature.

[Image: p82ugau.png]

Glad to inspire you! I like most of these... except Idaho! Idaho is just worse Oregon.

Scarecrows
[Image: Oon045t.gif]
[Image: 8KlR3Yq.png]

@Tate Love these, especially Oklahoma. Has a junior or AHL hockey vibe to them.

[Image: CptSquall.gif]