Create Account

S75 PT#3: McHockey Present Due: Monday, March 4th at 11:59 PST

The best way to improve your cardio is, and always has been, just to do a boat load of cardio each and every day, which Jesus Murphy has adhered to as a principle of his training regimen. However, this doesn't necessarily need to be in the form hardcore workouts, as it's important do incorporate activity that isn't necessarily straining on joints or muscles. That's why Jesus will frequently use brisk walks, stationary bikes, or stairmasters to get a good leg burn going in a way that isn't too hard on his body. In the offseason, he tends to kick this up a notch by incorporating some sort of resistance training. One of his favourites is to undertake long journeys by foot through sand. His teammates have all heard a rumour that he spent 40 days doing this in the Australian outback while on "vacation," but this remains unconfirmed. In either case, Jesus takes this training extremely seriously and is reaping the benefits of his stamina.

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

Rasmus actually doesn't train cardio at all, he doesn't believe in exerting himself in such a manner where there isn't a puck or some other thing of value to chase over. You can run on the treadmill all you want, but that isn't going to replicate the game situation of ripping down the ice. Instead, he goes through his day to day life and when he sees something, he sprints after it - walks for a couple seconds, then continues sprinting again. It's these short bursts in a situation where he feels that same desire for the puck that get his brain primed to be firing when he needs it to be on the ice. For example, you can sometimes see Rasmus hauling ass after an ice cream truck down the street on a hot day in LA. He's so far only bowled over two toddlers on his way down the street, but that's also going to get better as he improves his spacial awareness as he flies around.

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

prompt 1 written [160 words]

Rather than outright accept, seeing as Celly hasn't gotten much in the way of playoff success either, they offer Connor another option: together, they can sit and scheme a winning strategy to apply both on and off the ice. Struggles aside, Celly is definitely in need of that Crosby workout routine, because mimicking Brad Marchand is a bit of a secret closet goal of theirs. After all, who wouldn't want to have that kind of resilience? They need it.

Assuming Connor accepts this counter offer of collaboration, he and Celly sit and write up not only an extensive on ice playbook, but additional guidelines for off ice conduct, training, and conditioning, as well as a list of questions to bring up to team staff ranging from the chefs and dietitians to the equipment management team all the way up to the head coach. Everything you could possibly need to worry about is covered, and all the possibilities are planned for.

[Image: Fm35hEW.png]

Training endurance is trickier than anything else. That extra little second of hustle on the ice can be the difference between clearing the puck out of your end (and potentially even getting something going the other way), and it slipping behind your goalie. You just gotta ignore the screaming, moaning extinctionache coming from everything in your body just longer than the other guy does. You ever seen my bed before? No don’t run away it’s not like tha- yeah. It’s cool though, check this out: I press this button and it flips over to reveal a bed of nails. I’ll just put a podcast or something on and just try to lay on it as long as possible. Yeah being metal has nothing to do with it. Yeah it probably isn’t that effective. It cost me a couple thousand bucks yeah. Don’t ask about why my bank account is in the negatives. Why do you know that?

Option 2:

First I gotta say it is getting a bit boring to keep having to talk about my different workouts. I am a talent kind of guy that does not like to train at all. I would rather be drinking in a bar or do some lines of coke and just sit back and lean on my talent. It has been working so far in my career and nobody seems to care either way. So I do not prefer to train stamina, endurance or any kind of skill over the other. I prefer to drink whisky shots at the bar with an occasional jaegerbomb in between. Do some coke afterwards and go streaking. Now that I think of it I guess that is both an endurance and stamina kind of workout. I guess it also takes skills to be able to pull this off and still be good at hockey.

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

Herman Ståhl, as a goalie for the Raptors in the SMJHL, of course needs to work on his endurance. Most of this work is done during the off season, by a lot of running and most of that running up and down in hills. It is not always about straight up endurance, but more about endruance in explosive moments. When you are at your most tired, you need to work just that little bit more to ensure that you can squeeze that little bit extra of your energy to ensure that those last saves are done.

Apart from the hill-running, it can also just be straight up running for two hours. A very simple thing that is highly effective in building up your conditioning.

But it's not all about that. You need to find some balance between laying down the groundwork and making sure you improve your skills. You can have the most solid and robust physical foundation ever, but if that doesn't translate to winning games, it doesn't matter.

[Image: K6ykz0o.png]
Theodor Larsson
TimberTimber
pridepride

Agent Tesla: Well my player Dave develops that attribute primarily via training with weighted clothes and pads along with hypoxic training to simulate the reduced oxygen of high altitude environments.

Interviewer interrupts with question two.

Agent Tesla: I would have to honestly say that Dave prioritizes endurance and strength training in that as far as I am concerned skill training is one of the key ways of developing the muscles that you need to perform in your chosen sport. Based on the studies I have seen supporting multisport athletes I have not forced Dave to train exclusively for hockey to give him a slightly more balanced musculature, and by extension I would say his physical training ultimately takes precedence.

Interviewer nods as they carry on with question three.

Agent Tesla: Regarding ratio I think it very much depends on what you want to do and I'll be honest even I do not know the ideal ratio for hockey. That said I do have my player Dave prioritize cardio as I am of the belief that sustained performance is more important than peak performance. One could argue though that most of the major sports are marathons made of sprints and so there is a concern not to overplay your hand one way or the other. Ultimately I would say I am happy with how the ratio has worked out for Dave at least.

Interviewer: Thank you for the insight.

Agent Tesla: Happy to provide.

Code:
Word Count: 243

Philippe eko eel trains his stamina by edging whenever the team has 2 consecutive days off. He wouldn’t do this the night after a game nor would he do it if the team has a game the next day, but if there are two consecutive off days he’ll stay up pretty much all night or at least til like 3am or so just edging and having such a good time. Philippe eko eel is among the league leaders in ice time and he Carries Atlanta’s even strength, power play, and penalty kill units as currently the highest tpe player on the team. All this edging (which he has been doing since he was in eel high school) has prepared him to take on such an extensive workload on the ice. He isn’t really sure as to the science behind this technique and honesty he isn’t so sure it actually works but it’s so firmly engrained as part of his routine that he accepts it as part of the standard training regimen now

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

Code:
Option 1:

Written Task: Your player falls asleep that night without incident, but about halfway through the night, they wake up with a start to the face of Connor McDavid looking down on them from above.

Without once changing his facial expression, he explains that he was sent here to teach you some kind of lesson about playing through adversity,
but he has already forgotten his lines and instead offers you a trade:
he'll show you the secret workout routine he developed with Sid Crosby that has seemingly granted Brad Marchand immortality, if you'll tell him how to win in the playoffs.
Do you accept? What do you say?

Honestly this is just mental madness. First off all, Sundqvist did not even make the playoffs! How would he know how to win them? Anyways, McDavid does not know this, nor does he seem to care seeing as he is having no idea of what's going on or what he even is supposed to do here. (Sidenote: How do our players know who these players are, the only reasonable assumption about the SHL is that it exists in a parallell universe without the NHL). However, learning of immortality, even if the only supposedly user is alone and Brad Marchand, why not just lie together something to claim this offer? So, here's what Sundqvist tells the face of Connor McDavid:

To win the playoffs. One must participate in the playoffs.

Now, I am not sure whether this is a dream or not but most of all I hope that Niclas Sundvist is not suffering from hallucinations or delusions. Because clearly this setting is worrying.

[163 words]

[Image: Halkohol_SHL.gif]

Dusty Rhodes still uses unconventional methods of training. This past off-season he went to the Swiss Alps and did the Rocky 3 training program. He began the cardio with running in the snow and running up snow covered mountains. Running in the snow makes you take smaller quicker steps you can't really stretch the legs and stride out. This increases the heart rate and improves the cardio. For stamina it's just doing the same weight exercises, lifting the horse cart, pounding the tire with a sledgehammer, lifting whatever he can find over and over again. He even sometimes tries to run with a beer keg strapped to the back like when skating. That boosts both cardio and stamina at the same time. So even though it's unconventional it works for Rhodes, who is one of the strongest players in the shl. He may not have the best physique but he can go all night long daddy.

[Image: iUd7IJE.png]
[Image: rhodes.png]

pt pass

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)

I absolutely accept, since well the Oilers REALLY should have won at least a couple more rounds by now. Seriously, I know the team is mid, but McDavid could win on the ice alone half the nights he plays. It really shouldn't be a question. And honestly it would be nice to not have to worry about my physical depreciation. I really enjoy playing hockey, so being able to do that for a really really long time and hopefully break all of the records would be a wonderful experience. I don't even have to be all that great I could just win on longevity alone and play with a bunch of really great and fun people. Which is really what I'm here for in the first place, beyond earning as much TPE as humanly possible because I am FIENDING. I should really get back to bed though because these dreams have been more beneficial than my awake training time!

Option 2:

The construction of this big boy was way more of a hassle than my other homemade Survivor projects, but has been totally worth it, and it looks pretty cool out in the yard, to boot. It's kind of just a scaled up version of the hand-eye coordination machine, but like *really* scaled up. This isn't just a little ball that you catch down low and place up high. This is a basically a wooden dumbbell that rolls down a track so you gotta chase it down and then carry it back up to the top, over and over and over again. Have you heard of that Sisyphus guy and his boulder? This is you pretending to be him. Carry that wooden dumbbell up the stairs and set it on the track. While it rolls down, you catch a quick breath and then head down the stairs yourself to catch it when it reaches then bottom. Then carry it back up again. To make it harder, add a second dumbbell, add more, bring in some friends to do it with you. This is tons of legs, a bit of arms, and all relentless sweat until the dumbbell hits the ground and you collapse next to it.

Check out an intro here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8j9our1...deWilliams

[Image: YpRQWIT.png]
Sig courtesy @sulovilen

[Image: SyiOY8U.png][Image: showthread.php?tid=126581%5D][Image: ywpNoYb.png]

Written Task: How does your player train endurance and stamina? Which do they prioritize: endurance, strength, or skill training? What's the proper ratio between cardio and hard workout? As before, your player does not need to be correct. Feel free to write absolute madness, flex your knowledge of real-world athletic training, or anywhere in between.

Seamus is all about endurance. As a defensive defensive player he wants to be out there blocking shots and skating as much as possible so that his team can put their best offensive edge forward without having to worry about their backs. Manning the first line the last few seasons, it feels good that the team knows they can make some defensive foibles and still net positive. Last week we talked about legs and weight training. This week its all about cardio. How much pressure can Seamus put on himself and still keep breathing. He needs to be able to skate his hardest for as long as possible so between the ankle strengthening its just straight up breath training. Seamus is in pools seeing how long he can stay submerged and then pairing that with breath holding exercises outside of the water. All this is to train his lung capacity to intake air quickly and hold it for extended periods of time. This keeps him clear and able to keep skating without getting overtired.

[Image: seamus.png]

Credit to Vulfzilla for the awesome render pic
[Image: gXlAFBa.png]|| [Image: 8CbZQAJ.png]

Written Task – Option 2 – 161 Words
Lord Farquaads goes Ogre Hunting on foot to train his stamina. It’s well known that Ogres do not have great endurance abilities, so knowing that you have the advantage certainly helps on the motivation factor. Every weekend that Lord Farquaads has a day off, he travels back home to Duloc to partake in one of the old fashioned Ogre hunts. His preferred weaponry consists of a double-bladed axe and a blowgun with an ogre-grade sedative. The proper ratio between cardio and a hard workout? 100% cardio. Muscles are overrated, if you have tree trunks for legs that can carry you for perpetuity? That’s the recipe for a long, productive SHL career. Lord Farquaads knows that firsthand. The only position he hasn’t played at a high level is goaltending. Who knows though, there may be time for that in his future. Only time will tell. Can you imagine a goaltender who was only 4 feet tall? How humorous!

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother