Create Account

[x2 Draft Media] Player's Tribune | Letters to Mom and Dad | By Anastasia Söderström
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2024, 11:28 PM by boom. Edited 2 times in total.)

[995 words, x2 draft media, ready for grading]

Note: Trying something new here. I realized after reading some of the excellent media from other players that in four years, I have never written a first-person media article, so I thought I'd give it a go using a format that has been popular elsewhere. It's a bit of a departure from my usual style, but I'm not entirely unfamiliar with it and I hope you enjoy. This piece particularly links back to various moments in the prequel chapters, so I have linked that index here if you're curious about the context.

[Image: rooney_2710.jpg]
To Dad,

I can still remember that first day on the pond back in Sundsvall like it was yesterday. Me as a tiny kid sliding around on the ice in my snow pants, you trying to poke the puck past me while I tried to block it, and I knew from that day that this was what I wanted to do with my life. Whatever questions I had about the game, you were always there to answer. You taught me everything I needed to know about how to give everything I had, how to win and lose with grace. I am so grateful for all the time and money you and Mom put into helping me follow my passion, and I will never forget how much that means to me. You were my first hockey coach, all those years ago, and you've never stopped being my coach. 
I might have special coaches for how to play goalie, but you were the one who taught me how to carry myself as a professional. You've always been there to celebrate with me in the highest of highs and commiserate with me in the lowest of lows. Even now, after giving up all those goals in the playoffs, you have never stopped believing in me for a minute, and when Calgary took me in the SHL draft, you were right there to celebrate with me. Every day during hockey season, when I walk into the dressing room, I look at the number 35 with my name and I think of you. You've given me everything, and the least I can do to repay you is to keep on wearing the number you wore so proudly when you were my age. Jag älskar dig.

To Mom,

I am thankful for every day to have your kindness, your willingness to try and make things better, and I've never forgotten what you've had to sacrifice. When I had trouble at school, you never stopped pushing until I had the supports I needed, no matter what it took. When I had trouble understanding social expressions or got overwhelmed in a situation, you have always been so patient with me and helped me figure things out. Coming to school here, I had to start over with figuring out the teachers' routines and rules and getting to know my classmates, but I could do that because you taught me never to be silent, always to ask for what I needed. I've taken a leap of faith by going on this journey, but you taught me to fly and I will be forever grateful for it.
You gave me my name, a way to hold on to what you had even if you couldn't have it for yourself, and you never let me lose that part of who I was when it would have been so easy to let it fall to the wayside. I remember when I was a kid and I asked you why I had my name when it didn't fit in with everyone else, and because of you I've learned to be proud of being unique, being one of a kind. I used to be so scared of being different, of not fitting in to what everyone else expected to be, and you never let me think that I was any lesser because of it, never let me apologize for how my brain worked, always pushed me to try new things. One day, when things have calmed down and you don't have to worry about getting hurt, we'll go home and you'll get to show me around to all the places you miss. I've always wanted to know more about where I came from, and I dream that one day you won't have to hurt to show me. Jag älskar dig. Ya tebya lyublyu
---

It's been tough being so far away from you both this past year. In this adventure, I think about all the growing-up moments you won't get to see. My first and last days of high school. Seeing me off on my first date. Teaching me to drive. I wish so much that you could be here to see these. I'm excited to get to come back to Europe for the World Junior tournament not just to get to play, but also because it means I can truly come home for a moment. We'll at least get that birthday together, and there is no one else in the world I'd want to spend it with more. Even if it's only for a few days, I will treasure the memories I can make in that time forever. I have a framed picture of us, together, taken just before I left to come to the US. It's on my bedroom nightstand, and I look at it each night we're in Detroit before I go to sleep and remember who my first two cheerleaders were; I even have a digital copy to look at on road trips. Even though there's an ocean separating us, I will always treasure that connection and remember all of the lessons you've taught me on how to be myself. Soon, the distance will get bigger with me being in Alberta instead of Michigan, but distance cannot take away that bond.

I love you both so much, and I'm going to keep making you proud every day I can.

All my love,
Anastasia

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

This is a really good article! I feel like I learned a lot about Ana, and I hope she has a good time with her parents! Especially after how she was feeling about the end of the season and the draft.

Scarecrows
[Image: Oon045t.gif]
[Image: 8KlR3Yq.png]

03-23-2024, 11:33 PMcake307 Wrote: This is a really good article! I feel like I learned a lot about Ana, and I hope she has a good time with her parents! Especially after how she was feeling about the end of the season and the draft.
Glad you liked it! If it's well received I might do this more because this was a really fun and novel piece to write.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]