Create Account

(2x SHL Draft) A "Flurry" of Activity for Blizzard
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2024, 01:43 AM by bobdigi9. Edited 3 times in total.)

If you're reading this there's a good chance you knew the S76 SHL Entry Draft took place last weekend. If you didn't you've been living under a rock OR you've clicked on a link and come here accidentally (if that's the case, allow me to introduce you to the SHL. If you like this and decide to join, be sure to use me as your reference. that's bobdigi9....Tongue).

I don't want to beat a dead horse but the entry draft is a special time for young players as it's the next step in blah blah blah. You get the point. Which isn't to undermine the experience for any of the youngsters. It's just that I've got bigger fish to try. Or for the intent of this article perhaps I should say flakes to fry. As in snowflakes. Because blizzards....?

You see a funny thing happened to Edmonton on the way to the forum to a second round exit against the eventual Challenge Cup champion Los Angeles Panthers. Even after a regular season that saw the Blizzard claim 1st overall, management decided to do what all the cool kids are doing and initiate a full rebuild. Why not, right? Knee jerk reaction? Possibly. Probably. What we do know is that what remained from the scorched earth that once was the Blizzard roster was an abundance of draft picks that saw them select six times across the first two rounds (not including a forfeited pick).
With what was a bumper crop of prospects to choose from, this would be a perfect time for Edmonton to build up what was pretty much a non-existent prospect pool. So who did they select? I'm so glad you asked.....

Alexa Johansen - LW - 2nd Overall Scarecrows 

The only way you wouldn't have heard of "AJ16" at this stage is if you're one of those rock people I was referring to earlier. After steamrolling her way onto our radar (and into our hearts) Alexa made it back to back drafts where she went 2nd overall (2nd to St. Louis in S77 SMJHL Entry Draft). It's almost a shame there isn't a another draft to see if she could complete the trifecta. While her offensive numbers didn't blow the doors down in her first season with the rebuilding Scarecrows, it did nothing to quieten the hype surrounding her. Hitch your wagon to this pony because she's going "the distance".

[Image: cake-the-distance-Cover-Art.png]

Matviy Cajabi - RW - 13th Overall Armada 

Cajabi is a reach or a steal depending on who you talk to in the scouting world. While not a true "unknown", some people were shocked when his name was called when it came time for the Blizzard to select at 13. A second round pick for the Armada of the SMJHL, Cajabi managed to better his draft position by 9 spots after a solid rookie debut. Has "history" with Alexa Johansen, so the potential for them to form 2/3rd of a dynamic top line is there.

Matty J - LW - 17th Overall Berserkers 

A consensus first round pick, the only question was where exactly he would land. Snagging him at 17 could prove to be a real boon for the Blizzard. Statistically, had the best season of all Edmonton draft picks. Possesses an "ungodly slapshot" he uses to freeze goaltenders. The Tampa native may be disappointed to have missed out on being drafted by his hometown team, but can just add that to that large chip on his shoulder he already plays with. Real potential here.

Thomas Hudson - C - 20th Overall Grizzlies 

From the Grizz to the Blizz....
You need depth down the middle to build championship rosters and the humble Hudson will be a huge part of that for the Blizzard. While not overly big for the position he plays, what he lacks in size he makes up for in hockey IQ. Boasts hockey in his DNA as well since his father played 11 seasons in the SHL with the Texas Renegades. Will look to build upon what was an impressive season with Great Falls. The last pick in the first round is sure to make more than a few teams look silly for passing him by.

Dash Jackson - RD - 24th Overall Malamutes 

After taking forwards with their first four picks of the draft, Edmonton finally looked to add to their blueline when they called Jackson's name early in the second round. A specimen at 6'3" and 219lbs, he fits the mould of stay-at-home defenseman and isn't afraid to put his body on the line to block as evidenced by ranking 3rd on the Malamutes in blocked shots (112). A goalie's best friend.

Tank Sharksy - C - 36th Overall Whalers 

It's a bird tank! It's a plane shark! It's Superman Tank Sharksy!
With a name like that, you hardly need anyone to say anything about you. Talk about swagger. It's not everyday you have the ability to draft a literal shark onto your team let alone one that possesses the ability to play hockey. How's the irony in that he currently plays for the Whalers? The novelty of a skating shark might wear off at some point, but fans will still be left impressed by Tank's offensive skillset.

It's easy to make the claim of "best rookie class ever" at the time but we never truly know how these things turn out until years later. It's true that on paper the S76 group looks like one of the better to come along in some time. And while no team hits on 100% of their selections, Edmonton stacked the odds in their favour by having so many picks across the first two rounds. Even if they only hit on half, they'll potentially end up with 3 superstars to pave the way for the next Edmonton Blizzard dynasty.

[Image: bobdigi9.gif]

:edmlove:

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

Solid starting draft by Edmonton

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Zero disappointment from me. Excited to play with this star studded rookie class. Lets gooooooooo Blizzard

[Image: mattyj.png]

We're going to tear up the league for many seasons yet together!

Scarecrows
[Image: Oon045t.gif]
[Image: 8KlR3Yq.png]

Edm making my life hell trying to track the changes. Solid draft tho

[Image: lhlsigv2.jpg?ex=65cd244a&is=65baaf4a&hm=...5a69dcac4&]
Shoutout TheOPSquid for the Sig