Create Account

The Rookie Line [2x SHL Draft]

“The Rookie Line”
By: MattyJ

@bobdigi9 already did an excellent analysis on our draft class. As he stated, I am not going to beat the dead horse and do the exact same thing. I am going to discuss the first 3 and maybe 4 picks in the draft and how they will fit together come their time in the SHL.

If you live under a rock, you will not know that Edmonton had a disgustingly good draft. Their first 3 picks went as follows:

Alexa Johansen LW     @cake307
Matviy Cajabi RW     @bobdigi9
MattyJ – LW     @MattyJ

The future of Edmonton. Now, we are currently unsure if these three will be on a line together. As you can see, there is no center in the mix. However, Thomas Hudson was drafted at the center position that could slot in. I am going to discuss the possibilities of the first 3 picks line as any one of us could be slotting into the center spot. I am not going to discuss rookie stat lines as their landing spot in the J directly affected this.

This line has ungodly potential. Starting at RW, we have Matviy Cajabi, a 6’1” 200 pound athletic specimen. He excels in speed and physical traits. Good luck catching him on any breakaway. Any takeaway by MattyJ or Alexa will be quickly getting down across the other blue line. He will likely be the main scorer on the line while MattyJ make up for his lack of defense. This should work out perfectly. Outside of the game, he is a great earner and writer in the league.

Next, we have Alexa Johansen, likely at LW but possibly in the center spot. The second overall pick in the SHL draft. The sky is the limit, and the expectations are high. At 5’10” 176 pounds, Alexa might be built more like a center. An all-around good skater with speed with some nightmarish offensive stats. We will likely see an upgrade in defense come next season. St Louis needed all the scoring they could get though. Wherever she slots in the lineup, she will be able to score and help the team succeed. An excellent distributor as well that will set up Matviy and MattyJ for some easy tap ins.

Lastly, we have me, Matty, slotting in the LW spot. Unsure if the skating ability will ever allow him to transfer over to the center spot. You never know though. MattyJ was drafted to be the defender of this forward line. A true two-way left wing that will help this line wherever they need it. At 6’0” 192 pounds, he is built to play offense and defense. His stats are very balanced, and it will likely stay that will. MattyJ will be sliding poke checks and giving the puck right to Alexa going the other way. However, he showed in the J, that he can score the puck and put-up points.

Once this line builds some early chemistry, look out SHL. It will be 3 seasons before we get to see this line in action. Once that debut happens, expect the entire SHL community to be tuning in. Great draft @HabsFanFromOntario, the league will be put on notice soon.

529 words.

[Image: mattyj.png]

You'll be way better than Baker Midfield ever was

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

(This post was last modified: 03-28-2024, 07:11 AM by bobdigi9. Edited 1 time in total.)

Great write up, Matty! Although I may take exception to calling me out on my "lack of defense"! I think AJ will end up being the scorer, I'll be more of a set-up guy, and you'd be our puck retriever/banger.
Would love to see this line put together. Oozes potential. *salivates*

The "Two Matts, a Girl and a Pizza Place" line.

[Image: bobdigi9.gif]

Ironically I think it's likely HFFO moves me to wing. Center by committee.

[Image: hudson.png]