Create Account

Ottawa Senators Be a GM

Yeah, I tried doing the Coyotes, and it was boring. I'm going to do my favourite team instead. I'm not going to be stupid and trade all my players for young players because that takes away all the fun. Instead I'm going to take what I have and build around it. Finna post the starting lineup and other basic info later

[Image: theziegs.gif]
[Image: buster.gif]

SENS!!!' Make us proud Buster

[Image: RBQhWRP.png]
[Image: sLnhTvh.jpg]

Quote:Originally posted by gee gee no re@Dec 30 2012, 12:39 PM
SENS!!!' Make us proud Buster

Built a Sens that won cups in 4 out of the 6 first years so hoping lightening strikes twice

Alright, time for season one. I'm going to recap at the All-Star game, trade deadline and pre-draft.

Alright well, I have a ton of cap space and some pressing needs in center and on D so I decided to make a few moves in the FA before pre-season. I signed:

Cam Barker: 1 year, 5mil
Jason Arnott: 1 year, 2.845mil
Marty Turco: 1 year, 1.785mil

I didn't really need Turco, but I would rather Lehner getting starts in the AHL over riding the bench in the NHL.

2012-2013 Ottawa Senators Starting Lineup
Michalek (84)-Spezza(87)-Filatov (74)
Latendresse(79)-Turris(80)-Alfredsson(84)
Condra(78)-Arnott(78)-Neil(78)
Greening(76)-Smith(76)-Daugavins(73)

Phillips(84)-Karlsson(86)
Gonchar(83)-Cowen(77)
Methot(78)-Barker(81)

Anderson(82)
Turco(79)

Went 4-0-0 in the preseason. Filatov had 6 goals. OUF

Make me proud B)

This season has been a very trying season for the Sens. We had a great record at the start of the season, but injures have killed us. Alfie, Gonch, Methot have been out for most of the season and we've been up and down. We have currently 20-23-3 and sit second last in the East.

In the All-Star game we have:

Erik Karlsson

Well, that's sad. Top 5 scorers are:

Spezza: 10-32-42
Michalek_ 13-19-32
Karlsson: 8-19-27
Turris: 10-13-23
Filatov: 6-13-19

Anderson: 2.28 GAA, 92.6% 19-22-2
Turco: 0.50 GAA, 1-1-1, 98.3%

Time to start Turco!

Quote:Originally posted by Buster@Dec 31 2012, 12:42 AM
This season has been a very trying season for the Sens. We had a great record at the start of the season, but injures have killed us. Alfie, Gonch, Methot have been out for most of the season and we've been up and down. We have currently 20-23-3 and sit second last in the East.

In the All-Star game we have:

Erik Karlsson

Well, that's sad. Top 5 scorers are:

Spezza: 10-32-42
Michalek_ 13-19-32
Karlsson: 8-19-27
Turris: 10-13-23
Filatov: 6-13-19

Anderson: 2.28 GAA, 92.6% 19-22-2
Turco: 0.50 GAA, 1-1-1, 98.3%

Time to start Turco!

I know Turco has a very small sample size, but damn. Were those three games on his record starts or in relief of Anderson?

Armada pride Armada pride Armada pride Armada pride

[Image: Q4Adkgo.png]

Quote:Originally posted by KDK52636@Dec 31 2012, 01:47 AM

I know Turco has a very small sample size, but damn. Were those three games on his record starts or in relief of Anderson?

His recorded starts. He's also got us back into playoff contention, which allowed me to make a few of my moves.

Being that we are a likely low seed playoff team, and we have many prospects ready for NHL work next season, I decided to make a few moves during the trade deadline to help with our future. The first:

To Carolina
Craig Anderson (3 years, 3.185M)

To Ottawa
2013 1st round pick

Turco has taken over for Andy, while Lehner will be ready to start next season. It was a no brainer for me. 1st will be great for my off-season plans.

To Toronto
Peter Regin (1 year, 0.800M)
Erik Condra (1 year, 0.625M)
Jesse Winchester (1 year, 0.750M)

To Ottawa
2013 and 2014 1st round picks

TO offered me this one. Most of those guys will drop to FA and I get almost the same return as Kessel did. LOL OKAY.

To Calgary
Stefan Noeson (Like 4 star potential)
Latendresse (I fucking hate him)
Ottawa 2013 3rd

To Ottawa
2013 1st

Calgary offered. They likely have number 1 overall. Okay

To Washington
Cam Barker

To Ottawa
Wash 2013 1st
Colorado 2013 2nd

Washington offered, wasn't planning on re-signing Barker. Win win

Well, I went in not planning to blow my team up but it was too tempting. These trades will help really well with my new off-season plan. But I do have 5 first round picks now in this drat, which will go to great use. Just going to update the record. We are 30-29-4 and 3 points out of 8th. Will update at either the playoffs or draft, whichever happens.

We missed the playoffs and ended up 39-38-5. Not terrible, but not what I was hoping for. Going to update some prospects and retires and then the draft!

Retires
No Sens

Prospects
I can't remember overalls lol

Zack Smith went up to 80
Turris stayed pat at 80
Zac Dalpe (late waiver claims) is up to 76
Daugavins is up to 79
Filatov is now 76 (spent half the season injured :()
Shane Prince jumped from low 50s to 70!
Zibanejad is now 78
Karlsson is now 89
Cowen is now 79
Ceci is now 70
Lehner is now 81

The Draft
Alright, the moment of truth! We own 2nd, 9th, 15th, 19th and 23rd. But that's not good enough. Time for some crazy moves!

To Ottawa
2013 1st (#1)

To Tampa Bay
2013 1sts (#19 and #23)
2013 2nds (39 and 58)
Marc Methot (2 years at 3M)

Call me crazy, but I now own the 1st, 2nd and 9th picks, plus the 15th. PROSPECTS GLORE.

The Ottawa Senators draft
Seth Jones (1st, 69, 4 1/2 green)
Jonathan Drouin(2nd, 62, 4 1/2 gold)
Adam Erne(9th, 66, 4 gold)
Darnell Nurse(15th, 71, 4 gold)

I auto-drafted the rest after that first round. Alright well, Drouin used to be better in this game. Used to start 77 -_-. I fucked up there.

Re-signings
Gonchar (83, 3.880M for 1 year)
Lehner (81, 2.945 for 5 years)
Alfredsson (83. 4M for 1 year)
Daugavins (2.220M for 3 years, 79)
Greening (76, 0.850M for 1 year, 2 way)
Filatov (Same deal as Greening)
Dalpe (Same deal)

Rest don't matter

Needs: Bottom 6 rebuild, Second line LW, bottom pairing D, backup goalie

just wanna let you know this is a sick be a GM. One of the few I follow post-by-post. Keep up the good work.

Quote:Originally posted by vintagerockstar@Dec 31 2012, 01:32 PM
just wanna let you know this is a sick be a GM. One of the few I follow post-by-post. Keep up the good work.

Thanks dude, that means alot Smile.

Time for FA. We have a lot of cap, only 32 players signed and a few big needs. Lets dive right in! First thing I'm going to go after is a back-up goalie. I just need someone who is cheap, and can stand in for Lehner for a few games per season/during injury. But before we get that, I need to talk about what happened well I was simming.

I had talked about being diappointed in Drouin before. He's not mad, but I made a mistake drafting him over MacKinnon. Well, Lady Luck was on my side and I had a trade proposed to me...

To Ottawa
Nathan MacKinnon (69, 4 1/2 green)

To Boston
Johnathan Drouin

Of course, I took it. But this is where it gets weird. I've been doing Be a GM for years and I've never seen this happen. A few days later, Boston offered me another deal:

To Ottawa
Drouin

To Boston
2016 1st round pick (or maybe 2015, I simmed last night)
2014 3rd

Has anyone seen this happen before? Lol, either way, I now have Jones, McK and Drouin. I won't complain.

Now for the backup goalie. I decided to go with:

Atte Engren (77, 1 year at 1.085M)

He was the only backup available, he's cheap and looks to be able to do the job. He's only 25 so I'm hoping he'll develop a bit and be my career backup.

Now for my bottom 6 rebuild. All I currently have is Zack Smith (80, C), Daugavins (79, LW), Greening (76, LW), Zibanejad (78, RW) and Neil (77, RW). I need to add a 4C and a 4LW so I can use Greening as my extra forward. I looked through and found:

Manny Malhotra (77, 1 year at 1.595M plus 88 faceoffs)
Andy McDonald (80, 1 year at 2.805M, 86 faceoffs)

So, I'm going to be moving Smith to the wing now since I have two crazy faceoff players now.

On D, I'm looking for two bottom pairing D but I would be open to a top 4 D. I ended up going with a top 4 and also a top 6 D.

Brett Clark (79, 1 year at 2.065M)
Robyn Regehr (83, 1 year at 6M)

I didn't want either for more than one season because I want to bring up Ceci and Jones next season. Bring some D to core that has Karlsson and Gonch on the O. Gives me 4 great DFD with Phillips and Cowen aswell.

Now, there were no 2nd line forwards, so I had to get aggressive. There was one 1st line forward, Simon Gagne. He wanted almost 6M for 8 years, and he is 33, so I said no. Instead I offered:

Simon Gagne (85, 1 year at 8.650M)

And I was able to get everyone I went after! :D. After all that signing, I had 5.950M left over so I signed Rob Scuderi for a season and then some minor league signings.

2013-2014 Ottawa Senators Line-up
Simon Gagne (85)-Jason Spezza (87)-Nikita Filatov (76)
Milan Michalek (83)- Kyle Turris (80)-Daniel Alfredsson (83)
Zack Smith (80)- Andy MacDonald (80)- Mika Zibanejad (78)
Daugavins (79)- Manny Malhotra (77)-Chris Neil (77)
Colin Greening (76)

Erik Karlsson (89)-Chris Phillips(83)
Sergei Gonchar(83)-Robyn Regehr(83)
Jared Cowen(79)-Brett Clark(79)
Rob Schuderi (78)

Robin Lehner (81)
Atte Engren (77)

Going to make this a bit more interesting. Whover bothers to read this, should I:

Stand pat or go for a big time player via trade for just this season?

I feel like Filatov is weighing down your first line and since Alfredsson is old and even though I love he's always been dedicated I would try to move them two for a bigger star then play with your lines or make moves for a bottom 6 RWer and move someone up to the top line.

Quote:Originally posted by vintagerockstar@Dec 31 2012, 04:36 PM
I feel like Filatov is weighing down your first line and since Alfredsson is old and even though I love he's always been dedicated I would try to move them two for a bigger star then play with your lines or make moves for a bottom 6 RWer and move someone up to the top line.

I have faith in Filatov because I've seen him develop to mid-80s before. Regardless, I'm going to attempt to make a trade for that top line RW. And I'm in luck! Made a HUGE deal to help my team now and in the future.

To Philly
Nikita Filatov
Patrick Wiercioch
Mark Borowiecki

To Ottawa
Jakub Voracek

I get a top line RW, and Philly gets three potential minor leaguers. Can you say fleeced? Voracek is 85 and making 4M for the next 3 years.

Will update after the all-star break

Alright, well we've made it to the all-star game and wow, what a season it has been. But first, the Sens who have made it to the all-star game:

Erik Karlsson
Robin Lehner

My Swedes are killing it! To be fair, we should have more. But we have been killed by injures this season. Jakub Voracek missed the first ten weeks of the season, and Spezza has been out for 2 months (7 weeks to go), Andy MacDonald has missed 10 weeks, Phillips has missed ten weeks and lots of random injuries. Still, we have managed a 31-15-5 record and sit 2nd in the East. Not too bad.

Top 5 Scorers
Simon Gagne 50-14-22-36
Milan Michalek: 50-16-20-36
Alfredsson: 50 15-20-35
Jason Spezza: 33 11-21-32
Kyle Turris: 51 11-16-27

See, injuries have killed us. Voracek has been mostly a bust, 10 points in 20 games. Our goaltending has been crazy good all season though, which balances out the low-scoring.

Robin Lehner: 28-15-3-1 2.26GAA, 930%, 5SO
Atte Engren: 3-0-0-1 0.78GAA, 974%, 0SO

Dat Engren. He is earning his backup spot in Ottawa.