Create Account

JayTee's Reviews

Great list, Room is such a fantastic film. I've fuckin got lost on the Marvel movies though, and pretty much given up watching them, so didn't even watching Dr. Strange or Cpt. America this year. Heard they were good though

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

Room is tremendous. My second favorite from 2015 (I guess it came out in 2016 in Canada?). Zootopia is also terrific. I despised Deadpool and Doctor Strange as you well know but all the same, not too bad of a list. I still need to see The Accountant. War Dogs is solid. I can see why you like it but I just didn't think it was anything special.

Glad I could convince you to watch The Edge of Seventeen though. It deserves more of an audience.

Out of curiosity, how many 2016 releases have you seen?

Quote:Originally posted by Spangle@Dec 17 2016, 07:23 PM
Out of curiosity, how many 2016 releases have you seen?

I have seen

Zootopia
Deadpool
Edge of Seventeen
The Room
Capt America
Dr Strange
The Jungle Book
War Dogs
The Accountant
Rogue One
Dirty Grandpa
Zoolander 2
Batman v Superman
X-Men: Apocalypse
Finding Dory
Secret Life of Pets
Startrek Beyond
Suicide Squad
Sausage Party
Magnificent Seven
Fantastic Beasts and Where to find them

[Image: aOowRDF.png]

Quote:Originally posted by BasedMinkus@Dec 17 2016, 10:36 PM

I have seen

Zootopia
Deadpool
Edge of Seventeen
The Room
Capt America
Dr Strange
The Jungle Book
War Dogs
The Accountant
Rogue One
Dirty Grandpa
Zoolander 2
Batman v Superman
X-Men: Apocalypse
Finding Dory
Secret Life of Pets
Startrek Beyond
Suicide Squad
Sausage Party
Magnificent Seven
Fantastic Beasts and Where to find them

Fuck Magnificent Seven amirite

Quote:Originally posted by Spangle@Dec 17 2016, 07:42 PM

Fuck Magnificent Seven amirite

Cut out like 30 to 45 minutes and half of the actors and it is a decent movie Smile)

<div align="center">Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 3: Album Review

[Image: RunTheJewels3.jpg]

Jaime and Mike, the thinker and the killer, are back with their third project as a duo. The two linked up in 2013 as both men traded bars over some beats El-P had spared. While that record was good, it didn't feel like a duo project. Come RTJ 2 and the beats sounded cohesive and El-P and Killer Mike came together as more of a tandem.

While Run The Jewels 2 is a great album overall, Run The Jewels 3 is easily their best work from top to bottom. The record is 14 tracks of in your face boom bap production and even more in your face lyrics. Once again Killer Mike is the enforcer. You know what he brings to the table and you get it from the moment you hear him. As has been the norm with their records, I thought Mike brought it better than El-P did on my first few listens. But El-P is like Hannibal Lecter. He speaks and it takes you a while to fully grasp what he is getting at. It is a great dichotomy between the two and really helps their work.

The album starts slower than their previous efforts with Down which features a distortion at the beginning that sounds like the audio capabilities of the Sega Genesis sound card. This track does fit the beginning of the album though as Mike and El reflect on the fact that they have blown up even more than they had before and now there are more snakes in their yard that want to see their demise but neither man will let that be happen because they are simply too good to fail. Where Down is a lot more restrictive and sonically dense, Talk To Me is classic RTJ. The drums are deep and the sounds are hard and in your face. Mike steps up to task but El-P spits with more ferocity than I have seen from him since Company Flow days.

Those two tracks were great and all and really set the tone....But the next three tracks cement this project as their best and most ambitious. Legend Has It is so layered with a robotic "R-T-J" sample, slithery instrumentals and their classic boom-bap drums. Mike boasts about being a household name and something you expect to see be great;

RTJ
We the new PBJ

You then get Call Ticketron is different for them from an instrumental standpoint. It is glitchy, fast paced and leans almost on the electronic level that features a fun little sample from "Bust a Move." Mike and El kick it into high gear on their third verse and are just mind boggling crazy.

Speaking of crazy, Hey Kids is crazy personified in music. The beat is SO HARD and Danny Brown, with his obtuse flow and disturbing word play just fit the entire aesthetic so well. There are a few other highlights including the Kamasi Washington featured Thursday in the Danger Room and Everybody Stay Calm features a beat that is minimalist for their standards but really allow El and Mike to work off each other even better.

There are definitely a few missteps on this album mainly based on the fact that the come down from Hey Kids is abrupt and it takes a little bit to find its lane when turning the vibe down a bit. Oh Mama also sounds something closer to their first album, which isn't bad but does feel a little bit more disjointed and phoned in.

Overall though The Brooklyn Boy and the Atlanta gangster come through with their best rap project together. The beats are layered, heavy and in your face with no apologies or care for your ears. El-P sounds more inspired than ever and the duo plays off each-other so well. It is funny looking at their album cover with the gold fist and gun because truly, everything Run the Jewels touches at this point, is pure gold.

9.3</div>

Apologies if you've touched on it and I missed it but whatchu think of Joyner Lucas and more specifically "I'm Sorry" trying to do some catching up on my backlog and that song has stuck with me pretty heavily

<a href='index.php?showuser=26' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-13'>BasedMinkus</a>

Thank you to My boys @Merica and @Ragnar for the lovely sigs!
[Image: wrexks.png]
[Image: WREXKS.png]

<a href='index.php?showuser=26' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-13'>BasedMinkus</a>

Review deez

<object width="460" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jO_v2sXm-f4"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jO_v2sXm-f4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="460" height="315"></embed></object>
<object width="460" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AjKbw1Cqpt0"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AjKbw1Cqpt0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="460" height="315"></embed></object>

Thank you to My boys @Merica and @Ragnar for the lovely sigs!
[Image: wrexks.png]
[Image: WREXKS.png]

<div align="center">Drake: More Life - Review

On “More Life”, Toronto’s own Drake finds a way to blend a cavalcade of genres together to produce a tight and cohesive project.

[Image: tumblr_inline_on4ihjlPNN1s0n3pf_1280.png]

While not considered an album, this playlist is stronger, denser, and more anthematic than a lot of conventional albums that have been released in the past 3 or 4 years. Drake comes through with some bangers and some heartfelt songs that you would expect from Drizzy but the difference here is just how out there he is with the rest of the album.

On Views, Drake experimented with the sounds of dance hall and hit a homerun with the single “One Dance” with Kyla’s breathy vocals and the reggae influenced beat, Drake sounded more in his element than ever before. That dance hall influence really does lend a lot of credence to his choice of titles for the album. Dance hall really gives you this feeling of happiness, love and fun which really is the crux of living your life to the fullest and Drake shows that here through songs like Get it Together and Blem which is drenched in these gorgeous drum loops and bright Caribbean keys. Blem is really the perfect marriage of Drake’s influences. It is the classic Drake talking about a girl who should be with him which is something that you would see on a cornucopia of Drake tracks (see: Marvin’s Room, Take Care and Feel No Ways) but interspersing a much more catchy groove that will give some of these tracks life within a club atmosphere. The MVP of this movement is easily Passionfruit with its silky melody over a glitchy throwback 80s dance beat that you might find on a Paula Abdul record. Drake delivers a pretty performance here which will most likely translate into one of the smash records of the summer.

The other big sound that October’s Very Own relies on, on this record is the UK’s very own grimecore. Drake enlists some of the biggest UK rap artists out these days including Giggs and arguably the United Kingdom’s greatest rap export, Skepta. This is one of the first times Drake flows over those more militant beats that was popularized across the pond. Backed by marching band drums and minimalist keys, Drake is able to get real gully with it and lends an avenue for a guy like Giggs to show how good of a lyricist he is (Cooking that white girl, Ceresci).

There is one thing that needs to be talked about that I personally feel makes no sense. A lot of people are accusing Drake and have accused Drake in the past of floating from popular sound to popular sound, but on this project that is a fable. A big critique on this is Drake’s reliance on the use of patois, a Jamaican and English fusion. The thing a lot of people need to realize that in Toronto, the Jamaican population is vast, especially in the area that Drizzy grew up in. This upbringing is also conducive to his infatuation with dancehall. Drake is far from a culture vulture and if anything he is giving respects to the people, the city and the country that raised him, guided him and molded him into the artist and human being he is today.

Back to the music. The bangers on here are so forward thinking sonically that you constantly hit that back button to listen to them again. Free Smoke, the intro track features an ethereal, piano driven ballad to open things up…..And then that beat comes in. Drake raps about his humble beginnings as a struggling rapper, (I couldn’t get a bill paid, you couldn’t get the real thing), to performing in the early days as a no name rapper. It sounds like a much easier time and Drake didn’t seem to mind, (Girls wouldn’t think about recording me/Used to sleep in sororities/I had some different priorities/Weezy had all the authority). Then we get that culmination of hard work and no days off as Drake raps about having way too much money to ever feel bad for himself. That song in particular presents itself as a timeline of sorts throughout Drakes career, landing where he is now as arguably the biggest rap act in music. Portland featuring Quavo of Migos and Travis Scott is a fun track beat wise, with Drizzy rapping about having the top spot and calling out everyone to come and get it.

Gyalchester is easily the best banger on this record. A play on the UK city Manchester, Drake is his most icy, his most glossy and his most braggadocios. When Drake is in this zone, he produces his best art. The hook is catchy, his raps are tight and the deep sub drums are wild. Honestly, throw this on in a car with a good sound system and your ears will orgasm. Glow is another dope song with Kanye producing one of his best vocal performances of his life. Considering how average of a singer he is, his ability to stay on key was impressive and this record gives a real anthem feeling and will definitely be another big summer record.

Finally I want to talk about my favorite record and just how smart and cunning it is. Teenage Fever is a song about Jennifer Lopez. It is a song about how selfish and into herself she was in their relationship which lends credence to the perception that Lopez has given off throughout the course of her life. The first 8 bars talk about this while the next 8 reference an adult film star that Drake was seeing on the side while trying to figure out what his relationship with Lopez was. At the end of the day, Drake feels like his effort in the relationship was one sided and at the end of the day was not worth it. His inclusion of a Lopez sample is where his savageness comes in and makes this song almost a diss record of sorts which makes this record astronomically more inventive and fun.

This record isn’t perfect. Some of the dance hall beats are lazy and sound ripped out of early 2000s dance clubs. The problem with that is that in 2000 those instrumentals already sounded dated so using them in 2017 makes a few of them almost unlistenable. Speaking of unlistenable, Drake really needs to stop making his fellow Torontonian, Party Next Door a thing. His vocals are scratchy and lead to a disappointing experience. That particular record, Since Way Back is a strong contender for one of Drake’s worst records ever.

What this album does though is help Drake get a stranglehold on POP music which is an avenue that he still doesn’t get credit for. Drake has cultivated a lot of the sounds that you now hear in the pop realm and yet he can’t get any recognition for it. He won best rap song at the Grammy’s for Hotline Bling, a song that is devoid of rap. That is a pop record and he should get the respect for his innovation in that landscape. There are definite perception issues and racial issues that result in Drake still being pigeonholed into one genre even when the idea of singularity in music is archaic in 2017. With all of these issues with putting Drake onto the throne that he deserves, this record more than helps the six god gain more of a footing as king of music.

8</div>

my more life review:

[Image: 0f1eeaa1df2baede18d4231cbfb0f3d0.664x318x1.png]

ty u for reading

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

Top review, <a href='index.php?showuser=26' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-13'>BasedMinkus</a>. Makes me want to check it out.

Quote:Originally posted by Spangle@Mar 20 2017, 01:27 PM
Top review, <a href='index.php?showuser=26' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-13'>BasedMinkus</a>. Makes me want to check it out.

Thank you very much. I am actually proud of this review.