Create Account

Pre-Draft Interview with Lionel Byrde Interviewed by FMTALK 100.5

[Image: FMTalkLOGO4144.jpg]

[Image: 7437522.jpg]

Jimmy Fret
Hello everybody and welcome to FMTALK 100.5 My name is Jimmy fret and today is a great day to be tuning in. As we all know the SMJHL draft if coming up very soon and today we are lucky enough to have the rated 1 prospect here today. So without further ado I would like to welcome Lionel Byrde to FMTALK 100.5.

Lionel Byrde
Thank you Jimmy, very glad to be here.

Jimmy Fret
Well Lionel we are very excited to have you here. As I already told you I will sling some questions at you and you have all the time you want to answer them, sound good?

Lionel Byrde
Yeah sounds great Jimmy.

Jimmy Fret
Okay, my first question may be one you have heard so many times but I will ask it anyway. Which team do you want to be drafted too?

Lionel Byrde
Well Jimmy I have answered this question so many times and each time was the exact same. In all honesty, It doesn't matter who I get drafted by, I will work with the same work ethic no matter what the circumstance, I will try and get to know each of the team members and staff. Not knowing and not wanting to get drafted by a certain team makes it that much more surprising when you here your name called.

Jimmy Fret
Humble answer, My next question is, If you are asked to change your play type from Power Forward to say playmaker what would you do?

Lionel Byrde
It will be hard changing my play type from a Power Forward to a Playmaker but if that is what the GM and Coach both agree on then I will have to adapt to it. After all if that is what the staff wants you have to listen, They know what they are doing and I trust them with the way i play.

Jimmy Fret
What emotions and thoughts will be going through your head during the draft?

Lionel Byrde
Actually every since I was told I am eligible for the SMJHL draft, my emotion has been pure excitement. There will be more but I do not think I will know them until draft day comes.

Jimmy Fret
Yeah I bet you were excited. Your brother, does he dislike being interviewed?

Lionel Byrde
No no you got it all wrong, trust me once he gets drafted all he will do is show up and randomly go to interviews. Brag about his performance. He is a very confident guy but he doesn't believe in doing interviews before being drafted. But seriously once he does get your cameras and microphones ready.

Jimmy Fret
What are you going to do after draft day?

Lionel Byrde
Jimmy, first I will probably text some of the teammates right after the GM gives me their number, then I'd probably go to the rink and meet them. Really, just get to know my teammates sooner than later.

Jimmy Fret
Do you have any pre game rituals or superstitions?

Lionel Byrde
Well before games I like to walk back and forth the hall ways randomly, some people think I'm going mentally insane but it's just something I do. For superstitions nothing much really, just one thing I just do self consciously, which would be writing my number on the blade of my stick.

Jimmy Fret
What is your greatest Strength?

Lionel Byrde
Well it's hard to say greatest Strength without sounding cocky, but I'm going to say my team play. I love playing as a team, it just comes naturally to me, I always think about how I could improve not only as a individual but as a team player.

Jimmy Fret
How about your weakness?

Lionel Byrde
Probably fighting. I am NOT a fighter. I've been told I am a great at checking but for fighting I am just horrible. In the NLHL I dropped the gloves once. against a 6'8'' 260lbs monster. I just got pummeled to the ground. The worse thing is he laughed his whole way to the penalty box while I just laid there looking up. So fighting a big no no. HAHAHAHA

Jimmy Fret
How do you feel about this draft, do you think this draft will make things harder for you to go in the 1st round?

Lionel Byrde
Well after looking over the draft, this years draft may be the deepest yet. For those who don't get drafted in the first round don't be upset because if I don't I will not be upset, especially with all this talent. But really it is all about team needs. For me I hope that there is a team that needs a Power Forward in their roster.

Jimmy Fret
My last question for today Lionel, what would it mean for both you and your brother if you were drafted onto the same team?

Lionel Byrde
Well I believe if we both got drafted to the same team we would already have great chemistry from playing on a line together in the NLHL. But its the draft, we have to be prepared just in case we actually get drafted by different teams, and really the chances of getting drafted by the same team are very slim but there are some teams with back to back picks, so we will just have to wait and see. To me it would mean so much because it would help me grow better and better as well my brother Aaron.

Jimmy Fret
Well Lionel that was my last question. I thank you so much for being with us today, I really appreciate it.

Lionel Byrde
No, I thank you and the FMTALK 100.5 team for having me here today, it was fun. Hopefully I will be back here in the future!

Jimmy Fret
We will try and get you back before you get drafted to the SHL. Well everybody since that's all the questions I have, now we will shift over to the weather for tomorrow. But for talking hockey on FMTALK I am Jimmy Fret! Over and OUT.

[Image: 336.jpg]

Great read!!

Many GMs are noticing, keep writing!!

[Image: w2d9MYW.png]