Create Account

Chance Wins...wait who? Shocking Press Conference

Chance Winston walks into the pressroom full of reporters and sits down. Except the name plate sitting in front of him no longer reads Chance Winston.....it says....Luka Zaitsev....

"Hey guys, I'm here today to make an announcement. With the fact that I've become part of the Russian National Team I've made a huge decision. I'll be changing my name to Luka Zaitsev from here on out as I've decided to fully embrace my Russian heritage.

Today I'm also here to field any questions focused on hockey or whatever you want. This is a weird decision I made and I'd love to be able to clear up any questions you guys might have around this issue"

[Image: article-2158701-13969FEC000005DC-464_634x404.jpg]

Nike
Did you know it costs you money to change your name? Did that effect your decision at all?

"Honestly I didn't at first but I was made aware of the cost behind the name change. With how things have been going it just felt necessary to really fully embrace the Russian side of my family. The money behind it didn't really affect my decision too much, it's just something I really wanted at this point in my career."

mpc

Are there other parts to you reconnecting with your Russian heritage?

"My grandfather was a Russian Sniper in WWII, Vitali Zaitsev. Although a lot of what was done by the Russians in WWII wasn't that admirable he fought hard and was able to finish off the war, luckily with his life, and move his family to Canada. I've always been a huge history buff and to just have that type of influence inside my family is really cool.

Had he not been such a hero I might not be here today. It's a huge thing to think about and being a part of the Russian squad now it just made me feel like this was the time to really put my stamp on things. Take my grandfather's name into the SHL with me."

Why the full commitment to Russian heritage? You have tons of players on that team with less national names, does this mean there will be an influx of more native name changes?

"It just felt right to me. Like I said with so much strong history coming from Russia and affecting my family directly I wanted to be able to represent Russia with a name not only I could be proud of but with a name the Russian fans would be familiar with. Many people know the story of my Grandfather and he's a famous war hero in the Motherland. To have someone on their national team with not only the same last name but in direct descent from him I think would make me a fan favorite, am I right?"

How does Zaitsev plan to develop during the course of next season?

"This upcoming season is going to be interesting one. I don't even know where I'll be playing right now. It's a completely toss up. Obviously I just finished up a season with the Vancouver Whalers where we had some ups and downs and eventually our inconsistency cost us and we got thumped by an incredibly talented Kelowna team. So now I'm face with the possibility of either sticking around in Vancouver to have another shot at a Four Star Cup or I could be packing my bags to head to Toronto to suit up in the SHL.

I honestly have no clue at this point, I'm open to either idea so it depends on what the GM of Toronto. JNH, has in store for me. What I do know though is that I'll be working my ass off and just trying to become the best player I can be whether I'm playing the SMJHL or the SHL. My goals remain the same and that's just to do everything I can to help whoever I'm playing for win."

Why Luka Zaitsev?

"Well I mean Zaitsev like I have said is a family name so that was a no brainer. My mother still has the last name Zaitsev in fact. But as for Luka...good question. It just sounded right to me. I went through a long ass list of names trying to lock down the one that suited me best and I landed on Luka. Other names popped up like Maxim, Aleksy, Roman, Dominik and some more but once I got to Luka it just fit I think. I'm happy with the name choice personally."

Is the Winston family OK with this decision?

"Haha good question but yes. Like I said my mother's last name is still Zaitsev, she's never changed it because she's proud of her heritage. My father wasn't disappointed or anything though. Russia gave me a shot to play for them under their National team program so I've just felt blessed and it almost just feels like a sign that I need to embrace this side of my family history a little more so hell, I made a drastic move like this but what can you do? I'm Luka Zaitsev now so people are going to have to get used to it."

hedgehog337

Is Russia's LR active?

"Very active. We have a solid group of guys in there and I find myself chatting it up like crazy. Not only is the LR active but we also have a good chatzy going in as well. I've only been there for a short time but I've already met a lot of great guys who I didn't really know beforehand except a few of them as my rivals. Obviously I play with Pergher and the Willison brothers in Vancouver but it was cool to meet Mark Harter. He's been a dude who has just had my number in SMJHL. Smirnov was a guy who you obviously hate playing against because he's just a stud out there. Then some of the older leaders on the team like Boyka, Brovalchuk, Razin. The list goes on, it's just a solid group of guys and I'm really pumped to be a part of things over there. I'm hoping to grow with the young core of the players and eventually be one the guys leading the Russian charge."

Is Nikitin a good GM?

"Phenomenal from what I see so far. I don't see that opinion changing too much either. He's very active and let's everyone know what's up. He doesn't really keep you in the dark about any important issues. He's straight forward and that's what you need in a GM. From what I can tell everyone seems to enjoy being a part of the Russian team and it's been a great atmosphere so far."

Is Russia's NT strong enough to advance into IIHF tournament's QF?

"We have a fairly young core. We've got incredibly strong top line guys and then we're fairly young after that. I don't mean that as a bad thing either but we will be growing together as a team for quite some time. I think we have a very good chance of advancing in the QF however. I'd be surprised if we didn't. I think we could end up surprising some teams as well. I'm really excited to get things started and see what kind of noise we'll be able to make this tournament."

Will you stay in SMJHL one more season or you'll go to Toronto?

"Good question really. I'm almost leaning towards SMJHL. I know Toronto is in a rebuild and I'm still a young player so I don't know if there's any need to rush me right into the SHL at this point. I know Willison was thinking the same thing because the core of players we could be able to bring back into Vancouver for next season I think would throw us right into the favorites position for a Four Star Cup. Obviously, the Challenge Cup is my real goal at the end of the day but being able to leave junior hockey with a championship wouldn't be the worst thing either. I do know however, LaFlamme played this season right after his draft so I wouldn't be surprised if Toronto makes the call to both myself and Willison. If that's the case though, that's just how it goes. I'll play my ass off in Toronto as well."

JHS

Does it bother you that your new name is too communist so i'll be calling you Chance Winston for your entire career?

"I understand that Chance Winston is my born name so some people will have a hard time grasping this change. Especially for someone with a name like Heimer-Schmidt.

But hell what can ya do? Call me what ever you want. Just don't call me late for dinner."

Count Chocula

Will you also adopt the Russian culture of being a lazy, selfish, and enigmatic hockey player?

"Very unlikely. From what I can tell from being in the Russian team so far is that they don't follow that trend either. I will certainly not be getting lazy or enigmatic, I can guarantee that. The selfishness part might be an option when you consider my love for scoring goals but I mean, just give me the puck and let me do my thing. I shoot a lot so I need someone to pass it to me. If you wanna call me selfish call me selfish but I more like to think of it as being hungry to score goals.

You need goals to win. I volunteer as tribute"

Can I call you Winny the Putin?

"You can call me whatever you want, bae."

What is it like being the first African Russian SHL player, how have you inspired future generations?

Well I mean I guess it's an honor to be the first. You don't see many of them but the ones that do exist in Russia do play hockey. They need to get themselves out there and represent their nation. Everyone knows we make the best athletes. Russia needs to realize that and start pumping money into the systems for us blacks to get noticed. They also should stop being really racist because that's not cool. It's probably for the best that my family was moved to Canada. My Russian heritage is all white, my dad is black.....Now you have me wondering if my team mates even accept me racially......I think so?

I guess you'd have to ask them that. As for your original question, yes. I think this could help young black men take an interest in hockey and not just from Russia but there just isn't that many. Now with myself we have more of them to cheer for like Sean Leonidas and someone who I always looked up to in Chris Partlow.

It's an exciting time to be getting into the SHL and I"m glad to be doing it as a Black Russian."

"That's all? Alright guys, have a good day!"

[Image: DIsmdUx.png]

Did you know it costs you money to change your name? Did that effect your decision at all?

[Image: kickz_jr.png]
Thanks to Merica for my sig

Are there other parts to you reconnecting with your Russian heritage?

Why the full commitment to Russian heritage? You have tons of players on that team with less national names, does this mean there will be an influx of more native name changes?

How does Zaitsev plan to develop during the course of next season?

Why Luka Zaitsev?

Is the Winston family OK with this decision?

Ok, hare...

Is Russia's LR active?

Is Nikitin a good GM?

Is Russia's NT strong enough to advance into IIHF tournament's QF?

Will you stay in SMJHL one more season or you'll go to Toronto?

Does it bother you that your new name is too communist so i'll be calling you Chance Winston for your entire career?

[Image: zNTg4Ew.png]
thanks @suavemente !

You hear that, guys? PHENOMINAL.

Russia all the way!

Will you also adopt the Russian culture of being a lazy, selfish, and enigmatic hockey player?

Can I call you Winny the Putin?

What is it like being the first African Russian SHL player, how have you inspired future generations?

[Image: Chocula22.gif]
Berserkers Wolfpack France

This can be graded.

"Just don't call me late for dinner" well played chance. Well played

[Image: zNTg4Ew.png]
thanks @suavemente !

Quote:Originally posted by JHS@Mar 25 2015, 11:22 AM
"Just don't call me late for dinner" well played chance. Well played

Chance will be his stage name for his stand up comedy career following the SHL.