Create Account

Lundqvist Ecstatic About Newest Contract

VANCOUVER, B.C., CANADA -- Breaking news out of Vancouver as Whaler's goaltender and Los Angeles Panthers prospect Erik Lundqvist has just signed a 4 year extension with the Panthers. Lundqvist was the 13th overall pick, and first pick in the 2nd round as well as the first goaltender picked, in the S23 SHL Entry Draft. He is coming off his entry level contract with the Panthers and is currently playing for his junior club, the Vancouver Whalers.

The terms of the contract are as follows.

S24: $1,000,000
S25: $1,000,000
S26: $1,000,000 (Mutual Option*)
S27: $3,000,000 (Team Option)

*S26 clause states that if Lundqvist plays in the SMJHL the salary remains the same. If Lundqvist plays 6 or more SHL games the salary increases to $4,000,000.

Lundqvist has played 20 games out of his team's 28 so far this season and leads the league in save percentage, has the least amount of loses amongst starting goalies, is tied for the league lead in wins, but with 6 less games played, and is second in GAA by 0.06 and second in shutouts with 2 but only trailing by 1.

[Image: Henrik_Lundqvist_in_2010.jpg]
Lundqvist in net for the Whalers this season.

We were given the exclusive opportunity to interview Lundqvist following the signing of his contract. Here is the interview in it's full, uncut version.

Interview First of all Erik, thank you for allowing us this opportunity and congratulations on your newest contract.

Erik: Thank you, glad to be here.

Interview Lets start by discussing the topic of the hour, your newest contract extension. How did this all come together?

Erik: Well, I got in to contact with Nic(las Wastlund) as I periodically have throughout the season and we simply started discussing my next contract. From there we talked about my future with the club and how that reflects in the contract and before we knew it we had hammered out an extension that we were both happy with.

Interview Can you explain to us what you mean when you say your future with the club?

Erik: Well, if you look at the contract it is structured so that I can spend more time in the SMJHL with the Whalers. The first two years are at league minimum as to not be a burden on the Panther's cap and budget while I am not on their team and then it gets a little bit more interesting.

Interview Can you explain those last two years of the contract for us?

Erik: Well, in the third year there is a mutual option where the Nic, Brian (Morley) and I will have to come to an agreement in regards to if we wish to proceed with the contract the way it is set up. The interesting part of that third year is the clause, which has been approved by league commissioner Aidan RIchan. The clause basically impacts my salary based on where I play that season.

Interview How about the forth year?

Erik: That is much more simple, it is a team option for $3,000,000.

Interview Is it safe to say that you signed a 1 year entry level contract in an attempt to be able to put together and bigger contract the following season?

Erik: I wouldn't say that, I think it was more in an attempt to give both myself and Nic and Brian more room to work with in my second contract, and as proven by the way the deal is structured it certainly has worked out well.

Interview So you said earlier that you signed for league minimum for the first two, if not three, depending on the clause, seasons of your extension in order to not be a burden on the salary cap and budget when you're not on the Panthers team. Does that mean you expect to go back to Vancouver for 2, if not 3 more season?

Erik: Pretty much exactly what it means. I am well aware of the fact that I will be going back to Vancouver for another 2 seasons, possibly 3, meaning I will have played a total of 4-5 seasons there and I am perfectly okay with that. Actually, I'm quite happy about it to be honest with you. I love playing in Vancouver and can't wait to see what we can do during the rest of my time there.

Interview Safe to say your plans for playing in the SHL are long term?

Erik: At this point, I would say so. I have to admit it's not entirely by choice since I would really enjoy being a starter for an SHL team but that is not a possibility right now. So thus I am happy taking a longer route to the SHL.

Interview Have you thought about what this longer route means for the longevity of your SHL career?

Erik: I have, it just means I have to turn into Jaromir Jagr 2.0. Or Chris Chelios. I'm playing until I'm 50!

Interview Lets switch gears and discuss your season so far with the Vancouver Whalers. I'd like to begin with the draft, where the Whalers selected Tyler Nonerves and he became your newest back up. How did you feel about it at that time and how do you feel about it now?

Erik: Exactly the same. I feel that Tyler is an incredible goalie and if he were on any other SMJHL team he would be a starter no doubt. I think he has a bright future ahead of him.

Interview Do you feel like maybe a trade is a possibility for Nonerves so that he may get more playing time elsewhere?

Erik: It's a possibility, I know that he will be very much so missed if he does get traded and, like I said, he's a great goalie so whichever team he winds up on will instantly become a much better team and one of our chief rivals.

Interview Speaking of rivals, your team's rivalry with the Kelowna Knights has really intensified lately, especially this season, any comment?

Erik: We just really don't like those guys at all. They're a great team, we're just not very fond of them at all.

Interview You're considered the top goalie in the SMJHL, does this add any pressure to you game in and game out?

Erik: Not at all, the pressure is already there day in and day out. I push it to the back of my mind during games and focus on just that but the will to win creates that pressure and it only helps to make me better.

Interview What do you expect from your team during the playoffs?

Erik: I'd be lying if I said I didn't expect anything less than a Four Star Cup win.

Interview Erik, thank you very much for this, and best of luck to you and all of the Whalers the rest of the way through.

Erik: Thank you.

Code:
1287 words
1 picture

Ilike Panthers

[Image: pnI7R5r.png]

Nice! Glad to have you here Lundqvist! Panthers

[Image: NiclasWastlund26.gif]
#40 Niclas Wastlund - W - VANCOUVER WHALERS Whalers / MINNESOTA MONARCHS Monarchs
[Image: vlPUU9v.png][Image: ammBPLt.png][Image: rnZeas5.png][Image: V9MXpXR.png]

I enjoy it so much to be again in the same LR with you :wub:

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!

Panthers

[Image: jigsaw1.png]

Quote:Originally posted by UZI®@May 4 2015, 07:26 PM
Panthers

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤