Create Account

Dragons Nearing Extinction

Quote:Originally posted by Schultzy@May 4 2015, 10:21 PM

Yes but they're under performing with the roster they have and failing to build a solid team or make any kind of long term plan. You say they're waiting on Wong. Why? How much longer are players like Jalopski expected to wait?  Why wasn't there a plan in place to replace Verminski?

Zoidberg is nearing his 200th SHL game but he's going to have to top 250 before he ever plays a single Playoff game. Calgary is wasting precious time. And without a long term plan or some type of progress, it's going to be tough to attract the outside help they're going to need to get back into contention.

It isn't like there are an abundance of goalies that were available.

[Image: aOowRDF.png]

Leave ofer alone

Schultzy, I hope this is more satire than a fact finding mission. If you actually need answers you can send me a message Smile)

C - Kenji Yoshimura  Panthers Kenji Yoshimura Updates Panthers
[Image: BigTittySmitty5.gif]

Code:
Credit to Wasty and Steelhead for the sigs - thanks dudes!

Quote:Originally posted by JayTee@May 5 2015, 01:22 AM

It isn't like there are an abundance of goalies that were available.
You've acquired 2 different starting goalies since you've been in Minnesota and Calgary took a Dman and a forward in the top 18 of the s20 draft when both Lakx and Tanner were available. Manhattan acquired CJ. There were options.

[Image: 0QGickG.png]

Riot Player Page Riot
Militia Update Page Militia

Quote:Originally posted by Midas Whale@May 5 2015, 01:47 AM
Leave ofer alone
I really like Ofer as a member. I'm concerned about Calgary though. They look like they need help.

Riot Player Page Riot

Quote:Originally posted by BigTittySmitty@May 5 2015, 01:48 AM
Schultzy, I hope this is more satire than a fact finding mission. If you actually need answers you can send me a message Smile)
PM sent.

Riot Player Page Riot

Quote:Originally posted by BigTittySmitty@May 4 2015, 10:48 PM

I don't think everything is about you Smile)

Quote:Originally posted by Schultzy@May 4 2015, 11:02 PM

You've acquired 2 different starting goalies since you've been in Minnesota and Calgary took a Dman and a forward in the top 18 of the s20 draft when both Lakx and Tanner were available. Manhattan acquired CJ. There were options.

To be fair, Verm was still capable at that time AND both those goalies were huge question marks at the time.

Quote:Originally posted by JayTee@May 4 2015, 11:17 PM

To be fair, Verm was still capable at that time AND both those goalies were huge question marks at the time.
Yeahthat
Biggest problem is that goalies are so important, so if you gamble on one and they turn out to not be fantastic, you're screwed until whenever you can find another to replace them and hope they turn out to not be flaky.

Quote:Originally posted by Caillean@May 4 2015, 11:20 PM

Yeahthat
Biggest problem is that goalies are so important, so if you gamble on one and they turn out to not be fantastic, you're screwed until whenever you can find another to replace them and hope they turn out to not be flaky.

Then stock pile and horde the fuckers like gold! Have a bullpen of like 5 and make them all work there tails off to be the number one. Corner the SHL on net minders and then you can trade a 600tpe goalie for a 900tpe player.... but hey thats just me and I am not a GM lol

[Image: c3936a1e67537ed2c9716b30ba8432ee.png]

BUBBA -- Roster===Updates

Bojo Machine
League of Accomplished Players
Player builder

Quote:Originally posted by Schultzy@May 5 2015, 12:02 AM

And we got Wong the season after that, Wong is and was the answer to our problem in net.

I admit I should of had someone to replace Verm going into S21 and believe me I tried but there were a couple reasons that didn't happen.

Tanner sure you can make an argument but Laxk right now is 520 TPE and inactive, CJ and more than a few of our players don't get along and I don't think he would of been happy with Calgary, we considered it but ultimately we thought it would of led to more problems than solutions. Wong is active and has 130 TPE more and is a year younger than Laxk. If we draft Laxk in S20 over Lemar are we in a better position than we are now? I really don't think so.

Prior to S21 we set the longest record for play-off appearances in a row, a top end goalie is keeping us from competing right now and really is our main problem, it's a problem that is working itself out as Wong progresses.

[Image: 57879_s.gif]
[Image: 37742_s.gif]
[Image: jov7Yk9.png]

"“HA HA! THIS GAME WILL NEVER END! I POSSESS THE SOUL OF EVERY GOALIE ON TEAM B!! CREW 4 LIFE!! SIGN WITH EDMONTON FOR THE CUP!!!” cackled Belial as he placed a Fedora on his head."
SMJHL Commisioner S17-S26
Calgary Dragons GM S14-S23

Quote:Originally posted by B.Nuck@May 5 2015, 03:24 AM

Then stock pile and horde the fuckers like gold! Have a bullpen of like 5 and make them all work there tails off to be the number one. Corner the SHL on net minders and then you can trade a 600tpe goalie for a 900tpe player.... but hey thats just me and I am not a GM lol
Immediately demoralizing. 98% of the time, if a goalie isn't starting in 2 seasons, they're inactive. If they stick around, it won't be much longer.

The goaltending issue is just that Wong isn't experienced with it and neither is Ofer, thus when it came to updating and regression the builds were a bit messy for a while. Wong is getting there though, just gotta be giving him time. He's a S21, so it's only been a few seasons. Schmidt and Weekes are S19 and just really coming into their own. FourFour was average to above average until S20, so that's 6 seasons before he became a star. Rose, other than winning a Cup, took about 6 seasons as well. CJ is a S15, this is his first superb season -- he's been about average otherwise -- it took him 8 seasons to get to the top like this.

So give Wong a couple more seasons. Let him really get to his prime, and see what happens then before you start saying the goaltending is that much of an issue. Jesster even took like 4-6 seasons before he did well. Sawyer was a back-up to start. It's rare for a goaltender to start well. I had a great second season, McBride started amazing and Honcho started with a Cup. We were the exception, not the rule. Most take development time.

The only issue to bring up with Ofer is something you can't judge yet. He made his name more so off being the guy who drafted Latvians. Calgary was the latvian team for the SHL. That's cool, but it's been diminishing returns lately. That's not a bad thing, just means now the identity has been morphing here and there. Just have to give time to get there.

No one called out Tez when Edmonton missed the playoffs in back-to-back seasons while retooling. Sure, we weren't as far out of playoffs, but at the same time, his history shows we should give him some time to rework the image/re-tool. If it's longer, yes there's an issue. But for now, we have to give it some time to develop into something before we start accusing him of being a bad GM or anything. He was great before, I doubt he's changed. Just a rough patch.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

Quote:Originally posted by JayWhy75@May 5 2015, 02:34 AM

Immediately demoralizing. 98% of the time, if a goalie isn't starting in 2 seasons, they're inactive. If they stick around, it won't be much longer.

The goaltending issue is just that Wong isn't experienced with it and neither is Ofer, thus when it came to updating and regression the builds were a bit messy for a while. Wong is getting there though, just gotta be giving him time. He's a S21, so it's only been a few seasons. Schmidt and Weekes are S19 and just really coming into their own. FourFour was average to above average until S20, so that's 6 seasons before he became a star. Rose, other than winning a Cup, took about 6 seasons as well. CJ is a S15, this is his first superb season -- he's been about average otherwise -- it took him 8 seasons to get to the top like this.

So give Wong a couple more seasons. Let him really get to his prime, and see what happens then before you start saying the goaltending is that much of an issue. Jesster even took like 4-6 seasons before he did well. Sawyer was a back-up to start. It's rare for a goaltender to start well. I had a great second season, McBride started amazing and Honcho started with a Cup. We were the exception, not the rule. Most take development time.

The only issue to bring up with Ofer is something you can't judge yet. He made his name more so off being the guy who drafted Latvians. Calgary was the latvian team for the SHL. That's cool, but it's been diminishing returns lately. That's not a bad thing, just means now the identity has been morphing here and there. Just have to give time to get there.

No one called out Tez when Edmonton missed the playoffs in back-to-back seasons while retooling. Sure, we weren't as far out of playoffs, but at the same time, his history shows we should give him some time to rework the image/re-tool. If it's longer, yes there's an issue. But for now, we have to give it some time to develop into something before we start accusing him of being a bad GM or anything. He was great before, I doubt he's changed. Just a rough patch.

With regards to that last paragraph, I completely understand a team missing the Playoffs back to back while rebuilding. 4 seasons in a row while getting worse and seemingly making no real moves to get better? I don't think it's an unfair criticism to say that Calgary is in more than a rough patch. And they don't seem to be trying to get out of it. That's the real concern.

Look up and down the East and you'll see Toronto, Minnesota, Manhattan, Hamilton constantly making moves to come out of bad seasons and improve. Trying to end rebuilds quickly and get back into the Playoffs every season. Calgary almost seems like a given to be in last place and they don't seem like they're fighting to get out of the basement.

Riot Player Page Riot

Quote:Originally posted by Schultzy@May 4 2015, 11:42 PM

With regards to that last paragraph, I completely understand a team missing the Playoffs back to back while rebuilding. 4 seasons in a row while getting worse and seemingly making no real moves to get better? I don't think it's an unfair criticism to say that Calgary is in more than a rough patch. And they don't seem to be trying to get out of it. That's the real concern.

Look up and down the East and you'll see Toronto, Minnesota, Manhattan, Hamilton constantly making moves to come out of bad seasons and improve. Trying to end rebuilds quickly and get back into the Playoffs every season. Calgary almost seems like a given to be in last place and they don't seem like they're fighting to get out of the basement.

They missed the playoffs in s21 on a tie breaker.

Quote:Originally posted by O4L@May 5 2015, 02:26 AM

And we got Wong the season after that, Wong is and was the answer to our problem in net.

I admit I should of had someone to replace Verm going into S21 and believe me I tried but there were a couple reasons that didn't happen.

Tanner sure you can make an argument but Laxk right now is 520 TPE and inactive, CJ and more than a few of our players don't get along and I don't think he would of been happy with Calgary, we considered it but ultimately we thought it would of led to more problems than solutions. Wong is active and has 130 TPE more and is a year younger than Laxk. If we draft Laxk in S20 over Lemar are we in a better position than we are now? I really don't think so.

Prior to S21 we set the longest record for play-off appearances in a row, a top end goalie is keeping us from competing right now and really is our main problem, it's a problem that is working itself out as Wong progresses.
Wong and his .902 sv% doesn't seem to be keeping you from competing right now. He's tied for 5th in sv% in the League. I'd look elsewhere to find what's holding Calgary back.

Riot Player Page Riot