Create Account

[OLD] Welcome to the League Survey PT

1) How did you find us?

I had been on other sim sites in the past, though not for years. I decided the other day I'd like to give it a go again and I was able to find the SHL quite easily on Google.

2) Is the the site easy to navigate as a newcomer?

It takes a little bit of getting used to, as there is just a ton of content to get through. But I'm already feeling like I'm getting the hang of it and it hasn't even been a full day.

3) Did you have any trouble creating your player?

Not particularly. I found the character creation aspect of it pretty intuitive when using the form.

4) Did you use the video/written tutorial when creating your player? If yes, did it help?

I did! The attribute description page was particularly helpful.

5) What would you like to do while waiting for the SMJHL Draft?(Example: Prospect Tournament)

Prospect tournament would be good.

6) Give us one suggestion to make this site easier on new members.

I feel that the site is so far very welcoming to new members, which makes it a lot easier to get a handle on things. Perhaps more visual content over text just to break things up a bit?

1) How did you find us?
I have been a part of the NSFL for a few seasons now and wanted to try out a hockey alternative. Other players pointed me towards you.
I already knew what to look for from my experience in the NSFL but it was weird at first having SHL stuff separated from SMJHL stuff.
Nope
4) Did you use the video/written tutorial when creating your player? If yes, did it help?
Nope. Already knew how the process worked from the NSFL.
5) What would you like to do while waiting for the SMJHL Draft?(Example: Prospect Tournament)
Prospect Tournament would be great!
Can't really think of anything. It's really well organized!

1) How did you find us?
I learned about y'all fairly early on into my PBE career

Not at all

No the player creator was very helpful!

Yes I did, very helpful. Thank you

Not sure I can answer that

Rookie Mentors

1) How did you find us?
Found you by myself first but really didn't know if I was in the right league, then StamkosFan from PBE sent me to the link and I finally got the nerve to make a character.

No, I think the site needs a lot of work for new players to navigate the site.

Kind of, tutorials wasn't very forth coming to what is needed and I found no position selector in the player builder

yes, and it is written like a hardcore hockey fan would know. Thankful I was a hockey fan and knew what they meant. No, it didn't help at all.

Roleplay, Graphics, my player's backstory, media and others that can earn me MAX TPE and hang out with the whole league.

Found the community to me Meh compared to the Pro Baseball Experience and don't know if I will continue due to community. Will think about it and try it until draft.

1) How did you find us?
I'm a max earner/GM over in the NSFL, and hockey is the sport I follow the second most after football, so I decided to try this one out as a different sim league.

It takes some getting used to, much like jcink, but once you get a hang of what belongs under which headers/subheaders it makes sense.

No! The player creation was awesome and super helpful!

I didn't use that, I just talked to some of the guys I know in the league.

Prospect tournaments are always a ton of fun, and great for getting new guys invested in the league. Although this close to the draft I'd be ok just waiting it out honestly.

A quick tutorial outlining what every header indicates and what you'll find there could be helpful.

1) How did you find us?
Long time subscriber to R/hockey.  Saw a post about joining before, but this year I decided to give it a shot.

Not very intuitive at first.  A lot of things to learn and things to read.  It was a bit of a chore at first.

Not at all, the player creation tool was simple to use.

I found the video very helpful, but still had to refer to the written tutorial to answer a few questions.

Not really sure

Keep up the positive interactions.  I am very unlikely to initiate contact of ask for help, as i feel like I don't want to waste anyone's time.  While still trying to learn this site, i received a few messages from some very supportive people.  It made me feel welcome.

1) How did you find us?
The recent post on r/hockey.

Not really. Took me a about an hour to really read and navigate through everything. Lots of tab switching involved.

Nope, the attribute point system was pretty straightforward.

I strictly used the written tutorial and it helped out greatly.

Not really sure

Put the player builder tool somewhere easier to find, or in the written tutorial.

[Image: mpcR8M0.png]
player page                                                         update page

1) How did you find us?

Reddit post at r/hockey brought me over here

The site and location of things is a bit difficult as a complete newcomer. I was able to find my way around the site after a few minutes

No, this was incredibly easy. Updating my player was a bit confusing at first but I think im starting to get it

I used the Video tutorial. That thing was great for helping me out. Would highly recommend using that 

I think a prospects game or tournament would be great. Maybe a shorter prospects league if possible with just games being played with two or three teams

Maybe a main forum where all of the most commonly visited sub forums are listed, or links to the most commonly used threads are found. Might not be the best way for returning members but would help newer ones a bunch. 

1) How did you find us?
Reddit

Fairly easy, it's a little bit of an eye sore being so busy and so white though

Not really, I followed the guide and used the tool to help me.

The written tutorial, and yes

A prospect's tournament sounds like a lot of fun

Try and lay things out in a linear pattern instead of having us jump between a ton of forums. It mostly got confusing trying to know what each tab I have open is for.

[Image: ws92zPV.png]
FIRST SHIFT, FIRST GAME, FIRST SHOT, FIRST GOAL
[img=0x0]https://i.ibb.co/4fx7RqP/first-goal.png[/img]

1) How did you find us?
-Though my boyfriend ML.

2) Is the site easy to navigate as a newcomer?
-It is a bit difficult because there is so much to learn as a newcomer, but I will eventually get a hang of it!

-I did not, only because I had help from ML.
-No, I did not.
-I would like to earn as much money and TPE as I can before the draft.
-Making the sub forums more pronounced.

1) How did you find us?
Reddit
It's a bit overwhelming at the very start but it was relatively easy to find the right pages.
Nah.
I used the written tutorial, it was a MASSIVE help.
Earn TPE in whatever ways possible and talk to people.
Seems pretty good so far, I've used forums before. Maybe make resources/tutorials for beginners easier to find?

1) How did you find us?
Reddit
It's decently easy to find things once you get the hang of it but you certainly have to do some reading.
Not at all, the player creation was pretty easy.
I used the written tutorial and found it very useful. Pretty much mandatory to figure things out.
I'm currently getting a feel for the site and finding ways to improve my player. I would be down with a tournament if that is an option.
I feel like stats could be explained a bit better in the player creation menu.

1) How did you find us?
I joined after the reddit thread on /r/hockey

It's alright. Definitely confusing at first but the new players thread gave me enough terms to recognize elsewhere on the site to figure things out. The worst part is how old lots of the posts are, it's hard to tell which features and traditions are still ongoing. 

Creating a player was very straightforward and clear. The form tool was pretty self explanatory and the tooltips next to each attribute helped a lot.

I used the written tutorial, it was very helpful.

It seems like there used to be Combines for different SMJHL teams where you could introduce yourself and put your name out there for the GMs. I can't seem to find any recent versions of that, and possibly it's moved into DMs and stuff. Would be nice to be able to officially declare yourself and your intentions.

Building on the form-generated player creation thread, I think it would be very cool to have a similar thing for Update threads. Especially if the TPE allocation tool can be incorporated, it would make things much easier to use and figure out. The hardest thing about getting started was getting a handle on the update threads and TPE links, so automating that as much as possible would make it easier on newcomers and verifiers alike.

[Image: EsVSFns.png][Image: uzmDXiJ.png]
Sigs by @Carpy48 and @tweedledunn
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2019, 06:53 PM by Rankle.)

1) How did you find us?
Through a post on r/hockey.

It's a little intimidating at first but once you look around a bit everything is more or less where you would expect it to be.

Other than deciding what I want to do, not at all.

Yes, I used both. It helped a lot!

A prospect tournament would be pretty neat, just to get familiar with how the sim works before a season starts. Although I'll probably just spend my time writing articles and such.

Maybe have a section or checklist where you can see all the tasks you can complete/things you can do to earn TPE in a particular week.

[Image: rankle.gif]
[Image: 9rbVE0N.png]

Barracuda Chomp Chomp Water Dog Barracuda
Scarecrows Scarecrow Noises Scarecrows
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2019, 07:26 PM by charlieconway. Edit Reason: formatting )

1) How did you find us?
A reddit thread in /r/hockey.

Sort of? It's tough to find where everything belongs, especially the player and update forums. Both seem like the most important for new players.
There's also some general information buried in the Rules section that I wasn't expecting. I pictured it as merely a code of conduct, but it has some really useful information on eligibility and contracts I was wondering about.

No, once I got the gist of how the system worked it was pretty straight-forward.

I used the written tutorial. It helped for sure, but it took me a minute to realize it went further than the first post.

Maybe an organized place to post player bios. An example of how the simulation works like a tournament would be cool too.

Make some note to newer members that there are established players that they can use as guides, like those in the SHL team rosters. For example, a great way to know how to make your two-way defenseman is to look at the strengths and weaknesses of one that's been in the league for a while.

Another big one is Draft day. That's such a huge thing for new players that sign up before a draft, yet there's no real set place to find info on what day and time it begins. Luckily someone asked about it in the Discord, but it would be nice to have just one sub-forum somewhere with vital information on drafts. And the thread for the subsequent draft should be created after the current one, even if it just has "TBD" in all fields; at least the new user would know that the details haven't been decided yet.

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno