Create Account

My Top 6: Late Round SMJHL Draft Picks The Best Of This Years Late Round SMJHL

The SMJHL Entry Draft this year was full of blooming talent. With names such as Robb Wind and Evandrus Jesster going early, we continued to see familiar names such as Maria Maximova, Austin Lemieux, and Fredrik Zavstrom get called through the first five rounds of the draft. But who went after that? It seems that this year, more than a few very skilled prospects fell through the cracks, going in the later rounds of the draft. I decided to take a look at some of these players, this is what I found.

1. Ryan King Scarecrows was selected in round 6 of the SMJHL Entry Draft. King is a hardworking power forward from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. His strengths are most definitely his endurance, and his ability to put the puck in the net. During the off-season King has been focusing on winning draws, and his overall strength. I am excited to see what he brings to the Scarecrows roster this upcoming season. Ryan King, remember that name.

2. Jukka-Emil Vanaja Knights was selected in the 9th round of the SMJHL Entry Draft. Vanaja is a defensive defensemen from Oulu, Finland. He is likely to be a very useful player for the Knights this season. Approaching the upcoming season, Vanaja has been focusing on improving his overall defensive abilities. I seen him play at the Kelowna Knights training camp, and there is no doubt in my mind that he will be a name to watch for in the coming season. Vanaja has also been working on his skating, and it has definitely shown.

3. Eichel Jordan Whalers was selected in round 6 of the SMJHL Entry Draft this year, but from what i am seeing, he could have definitely went sooner. Jordan has been hard at it this off-season, working on all areas of his game. I spotted him at the Whalers training camp this past week, and seen Jordan was working with Defense coaches. He also appeared to be doing some puck handling drills, and his routine skating drills. I am excited to see what Jordan does this season for the Vancouver Whalers.

4. Matt Veenstra Knights was also selected in round 6 of the SMJHL Entry Draft. Veenstra is an offensive defensemen from Dresden, Ontario, Canada. At 6 foot 3 and 218 pounds he is not what I would call small. Veenstra was seen at the Kelowna Knights training camp this week working on his endurance, as well his skating. He finished the week off working with the defensive coaches. I couldn't help but notice him also wearing some shiny new equipment, so I am definitely looking forward to seeing Veenstra play this season in Kelowna.

5. Ross Burke Falcons was selected in round 8 of the SMJHL Entry Draft. Burke is a highly skilled offensive forward from the United States. The left winger was seen at the Falcons training camp focusing on his skating and puck handling abilities. Burke has also been working on his tape to tape passes during the off-season, which should prove to be a valuable asset for Detroit this upcoming season. Keep your eye out for this guy, as he will surely be a great player to watch this year!

6. Michael Gerrard :impact: was selected in round 7 of the SMJHL Entry Draft. Gerrard is a talented offensive forward. The 6 foot 3 right winger from Great Britain is an excellent skater, a great puck mover, and is not afraid to put the puck in the net. This late rounder was seen at the Montreal Impact training camp working solely on his puck handling abilities. Other areas of focus for Gerrard this off-season included some conditioning training, as he works toward improving his endurance for the upcoming SMJHL season.

Great read and it's nice seeing two Knights up there. King was definitely a steal for the Scarecrows.

Great read, and I am glad to see my man Ryan King getting some love!

[Image: giphy.gif]
[pbhfx]

[/pbhfx]
ShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUk
Player Page || Update Page

Quote:Originally posted by Kel@Jun 13 2015, 07:51 PM
Great read and it's nice seeing two Knights up there. King was definitely a steal for the Scarecrows.

Thanks ! And that he was ! Excited for the season!

Quote:Originally posted by Winter is Coming@Jun 13 2015, 07:52 PM
Great read, and I am glad to see my man Ryan King getting some love!

Thanks! He definitely deserves it !

aww shucks :">

Quote:Originally posted by burkie94@Jun 13 2015, 09:35 PM
aww shucks  :">

Cheers

Quote:Originally posted by Emveegtg@Jun 13 2015, 06:54 PM

Thanks! He definitely deserves it !

Thanks for the recognition! I appreciate it! Cheers

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: qp9sjzw.png] [Image: QPhJjnn.png] [Image: cz7Q1LV.png] [Image: RapExQb.png] [Image: sXGJ3Yn.png]
-----
[Image: aasdAwo.png]

Canada Update Thread | Player Page Canada

Thanks for the recognition bud. Hard work pays off, kids.

Just saw this mention... thanks bud Cheers