Create Account

Phaneuf Traded

btw am I the only Leaf fan not exactly jumping up and down about the idea of signing Stamkos for 10 million a year? I'm not so sure about that lol though one of my main concerns about doing it was having Dion on the books and that contract along with Stamkos hamstringing us from signing our younger players when the time comes. Still I think a lot of thought needs to go into that whether it is smart or not.

Quote:Originally posted by Secord@Feb 9 2016, 03:02 PM
btw am I the only Leaf fan not exactly jumping up and down about the idea of signing Stamkos for 10 million a year? I'm not so sure about that lol though one of my main concerns about doing it was having Dion on the books and that contract along with Stamkos hamstringing us from signing our younger players when the time comes. Still I think a lot of thought needs to go into that whether it is smart or not.

Hai :wub:

Quote:Originally posted by Secord@Feb 9 2016, 02:02 PM
As a Tampa... Supporter? I wouldn't say fan but they're my second favorite team.

I'm not enthused about signing him at 10m a year if he were to re-sign. Stammer is a special talent and an elite player for sure, but a salary like that can really handcuff a team who has a lot of other pieces that are crucial as well.

Thank you to My boys @Merica and @Ragnar for the lovely sigs!
[Image: wrexks.png]
[Image: WREXKS.png]

As a Sens fan, I can see why Murray did it and completely agree with the trade. I really wanted to see what Lindberg would become as a Senator but I guess not : (

But good trade altogether : )

[Image: RBQhWRP.png]
[Image: sLnhTvh.jpg]

Ottawa gets rid of their trash, bring in a top defender, and save cap. I love it!

Remind me of this in two seasons when I endlessly bitch about Phaneuf's contract though.

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Toast@Feb 9 2016, 03:55 PM
Ottawa gets rid of their trash, bring in a top defender, and save cap. I love it!

Remind me of this in two seasons when I endlessly bitch about Phaneuf's contract though.

It won't take you two seasons.

[Image: wopo0De.png]
Signature Credit: Wasty

Quote:Originally posted by Allegiant@Feb 9 2016, 02:56 PM

It won't take you two seasons.
It might, he has played pretty well this season in a reduced role, he won't be "the" guy in Ottawa, he's not relied on as the cornerstone of the defense the way he was for quite a bit of his time in Toronto. He can slide into that #2 role or maybe a #3 role and he should succeed.

Him+Karlsson could be scary good, so long as he stays back and plays defensively to cover Karlssons pinching

Thank you to My boys @Merica and @Ragnar for the lovely sigs!
[Image: wrexks.png]
[Image: WREXKS.png]

Toronto did a good thing, sheltered him, pumped his trade value and dumped him. He's still a good defenseman and very worthy of top 4 minutes, but not 7 million. To get out from clarkson and Phaneuf without retaining is wizardry.

Lindberg I think could be decent, don't mind any of the young guys we gave up. Frattin was old. 2nd hopefully should be good. Wouldn't mind seeing if we can turn some of ottawas dumps into reclamation projects in the meantime

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

I like the trade for Ottawa we filled our need for a top 4 D-man and now have a top 4 of:

Karlsson - Methot
Phaneuf - Ceci

Ceci will finally be able to play with a solid veteran top 4 D-man to play with and learn from

Toronto fans, I would really appreciate a scouting report on the other players coming Ottawa's way in the trade...hereis the Ottawa side of that.

Milan Michalek (Top 9 F)
Overpaid for what he is now, originally thought to be a top 6 sniper but has regressed slightly. However, he settled in to the top 9 forward role this season and did a good job of it. Injury prone.

Jared Cowen (6/7 D)
His struggles are well documented, and they are justified. The guy is an absolute beast...just not on the ice, he plays like a guy half his size. Originally supposed to be a top 4 D for Ottawa...hasn't panned out, obviously. Has the weird cap saving buyout contract. Salvage project.

Colin Greening (AHLer)
Had one great playoffs and was overpaid for it, on the trade block for years, contract buried in the AHL. Good top 6 AHLer though, very overpaid though.

Tobias Lindberg (B prospect)
Memorial cup winner, has one okay in his first year in the AHL on a poor AHL team. Young, still has plenty of upside, will likely play in the NHL...just remains to be seen how good he CAN be in the NHL.

On the Ottawa end of this, our top 4 D now actually looks good.

Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci

Yes, Phaneuf's contract is big and is paid more than Karlsson...but our defense needed an improvement and Phaneuf should provide that.

Quote:Originally posted by Joker5123@Feb 9 2016, 07:53 PM
Toronto fans, I would really appreciate a scouting report on the other players coming Ottawa's way in the trade...hereis the Ottawa side of that.

Milan Michalek (Top 9 F)
Overpaid for what he is now, originally thought to be a top 6 sniper but has regressed slightly. However, he settled in to the top 9 forward role this season and did a good job of it. Injury prone.

Jared Cowen (6/7 D)
His struggles are well documented, and they are justified. The guy is an absolute beast...just not on the ice, he plays like a guy half his size. Originally supposed to be a top 4 D for Ottawa...hasn't panned out, obviously. Has the weird cap saving buyout contract. Salvage project.

Colin Greening (AHLer)
Had one great playoffs and was overpaid for it, on the trade block for years, contract buried in the AHL. Good top 6 AHLer though, very overpaid though.

Tobias Lindberg (B prospect)
Memorial cup winner, has one okay in his first year in the AHL on a poor AHL team. Young, still has plenty of upside, will likely play in the NHL...just remains to be seen how good he CAN be in the NHL.
To be completely honest there isn't much to say about any of the other players going back don't really see an NHL'er in the bunch. Frattin could probably come up and fill a hole for a few games but he hasn't even been able to get in consistently with the Marlies. Donaghey is a decent defensemen in the Q but very unspectacular not much offense to him and isn't that physical. Rupert and Bailey are career AHL'ers Bailey with a bit more offensive touch....Rupert can hit people.

Quote:Originally posted by Maxy@Feb 9 2016, 12:59 PM

It might, he has played pretty well this season in a reduced role, he won't be "the" guy in Ottawa, he's not relied on as the cornerstone of the defense the way he was for quite a bit of his time in Toronto. He can slide into that #2 role or maybe a #3 role and he should succeed.

Him+Karlsson could be scary good, so long as he stays back and plays defensively to cover Karlssons pinching

Him and Karlsson wont play together

Methot- Karlsson
Phaneuf- Ceci

Is a good top four

[Image: hallsy.png]