Create Account

Nick Leier holds first presser Due to enter SMJHL in S29

COMPLETED
First Article: Double Payout

Hockey isn't just a sport; it's a lifestyle. Nick Leier has worked his whole life towards playing professional hockey. For him, entering the SMJHL is not just a roadblock to the SHL, but a place to hone his skills and develop into the player every GM and coach would want on their team.

The 16-year-old weighs in at 185 pounds and measures six foot one. His playstyle can be best described as balanced. "I always try to do everything I can as well as I can. I know that one kept out of your net is just as important is one in the opponent's net. I'd have to say I look for the pass and the shot equally." Leier feels that his playstyle can be adapted to fit any team. "I'll be training especially hard this offseason and during the season." He is confident that a team will feel good enough about him in the draft. "I really do think I can play any line for a team. I don't mind being on the third or fourth line, if it helps me learn something and improve my game."

He decided to accept questions from the press, in order to help everyone get to know him more.

NL: Hey, everyone! I just want to say how privileged I am to be on this stage right now and to be speaking to professional reporters, interviewers, and everyone in between. It still feels like a dream. *laughs* Someone pinch me or something.

Interview Nick, what's your favorite or best part of your game? What do you think you could improve on?
NL: That's a good one. Honestly, right now I think it's my hockey IQ. I've been taught in my whole hockey-playing life to go where the puck is going to be, not where it is right now; I think I map scenarios and possible outcomes of those little plays in hockey well in my brain. I just have to translate this into the SMJHL and SHL. I have to recognize it as a big reason for my success so far.

As for a weaker part, I think I've got to improve myself in the sense that I'm a jack-of-all-trades but master of none. I need to hone specific parts of my game to help whatever team I do end up on.

Interview Do you think that you can step into a top-six role in your first year? Where do you predict yourself playing, as far as lines go?
NL: I've mentioned this before, and I have to emphasize the fact that I can play anywhere I'm asked to. Shaping myself into a better player is my goal for the first year, though, and I can't say I'd be as effective as many more experienced and older players in season one. I've got to say that I am going to be loyal to whatever team picks me up - wherever I play, I'm already blessed to be here.

Dangles13: What is your favourite pre-game meal?
NL: Haha, that brings up a funny story. This was when I was 11 or 12 and getting ready for a midseason game. It wasn't anything important, but I ate spaghetti or something, and I couldn't play, because of...well...the runs, of sorts. I don't really eat before games, at least, I eat more than 30 minutes before games, because it's either that or I get a cramp.

Dangles13: What song(s) do you listen to in order to get pumped up for a game?
NL: I'm a big fan of Drum n Bass music, usually for my teams it has been rap music and intense electronic. It's something to get my heart racing, whatever it is. Can't name a specific song because there are a ton, really.

Dangles13: What is your biggest weakness and how do you plan on fixing it?
NL: I just don't feel like I am too good at any one thing that will make me stand out. I have been a really balanced player up to this point, but it's time to start getting serious and getting good. I'll work super hard this year and the years coming, to make myself stand out.

Dangles13: Have any teams grabbed you eye?
NL: Now, look, I'm no bandwagon player, but the Montreal Militia. So far, they have been the first to reach out to me and I was really happy and excited to see that they had noticed me. Their history and culture of winning also appeals to me. It seems like a good place to develop myself in, as a player and a person.

Bishop: Being in a locker room and being a good teammate is extremely important...how do you feel you fit into a locker room? Do you see yourself as a leader?
NL: I think I always try to lighten the mood. Sometimes I take losses pretty hard and I really hate losing. I know I have to learn a bit more about how to learn from my losses and maybe even take them in stride. Not missing a beat in tougher conditions is one of my goals.

I'm not sure if I can be a leader right away; those kinds of things come with experience. The people who are leaders now are hopefully going to teach me things, and I'm going to take that and develop into a leader. Before you become a leader, success is all about growing yourself. After you become a leader, it's about growing others.

Bishop: If you struggle early on, how are you planning on fighting through that adversity?
NL: Like I said, that is something I'd like to work on. Not scoring isn't my biggest worry right now; it's just that I need to keep my mind on the future but keep working hard now. I'm not going to take anything too seriously except my work ethic and what I do to improve myself, on and off the ice. I understand that now isn't my time to be a point-per-game superstar or anything like that.

Bishop: What made you pick the SMJHL to start your career?
NL: Just look at the alumni! You've got so many great players in hockey here. This is the top level, where it all happens. This can be the place for me to grow into a good professional hockey player.

Follow Nick on Twitter: @NLeier12

What is your favourite pre-game meal?
What song(s) do you listen to in order to get pumped up for a game?
What is your biggest weakness and how do you plan on fixing it?
Have any teams grabbed you eye?

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Dangles13@May 1 2016, 11:54 AM
What is your favourite pre-game meal?
What song(s) do you listen to in order to get pumped up for a game?
What is your biggest weakness and how do you plan on fixing it?
Have any teams grabbed you eye?
Thanks, questions answered. :D

Ready to see some more! I'll keep the thread open for a while so I can get everyone's and try to get my article as long as possible.

Being in a locker room and being a good teammate is extremely important...how do you feel you fit into a locker room? Do you see yourself as a leader?

If you struggle early on, how are you planning on fighting through that adversity?

What made you pick the SMJHL to start your career?

Good Luck!

Quote:Originally posted by Bishop@May 1 2016, 03:23 PM
Being in a locker room and being a good teammate is extremely important...how do you feel you fit into a locker room? Do you see yourself as a leader?

If you struggle early on, how are you planning on fighting through that adversity?

What made you pick the SMJHL to start your career?

Good Luck!
Answered, thanks for the questions. I'm still interested in developing Leier's personality and lifestyle, so if anyone has questions of those they're especially welcome. I won't discriminate, though! Still very open for interview Qs.

P.S. Sorry for the blinding font Wink

There was a Nick Leier in S24, any relation? :o

Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Please take care of it. Here are some helpful links just in case.

Algonquin College Student Support Services - 613-727-4723
Crisis Text Line - Text 'HOME' to 741741
Distress Centre Ottawa and Region - 613-288-3311
Good2Talk - 1-866-925-5454
Kid's Help Phone - 1-800-668-6868
Mental Health Hotline Ontario - 1-866-531-2600
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255

Click here for a list of crisis centres within Canada
Suicide Prevention Resource Centre
Suicide Awareness Voices of Education

If you have the contact info to your local mental help centres, let me know!

--------------------
[Image: 34987_s.gif]
Player Page | Updates

[Image: 8y3FJne.jpg][Image: kA0CbGn.png][Image: aGT9Qsn.png]

Quote:Originally posted by r1c3bowl22@May 1 2016, 08:04 PM
There was a Nick Leier in S24, any relation? :o
Wow. Blink

Both left-shot RWs too. I guess that one's been off since September. Hope this doesn't cause any problems. Thanks, haha Cheers

Quote:Originally posted by Trinity@May 1 2016, 10:11 PM

Wow.  Blink

Both left-shot RWs too. I guess that one's been off since September. Hope this doesn't cause any problems. Thanks, haha Cheers

When I saw your name pop up on the Twitter feed, I said to myself "Leier came back?" Hopefully you're more active than he was. Welcome to league!

Quote:Originally posted by BruinsFanatic100@May 1 2016, 09:13 PM

When I saw your name pop up on the Twitter feed, I said to myself "Leier came back?" Hopefully you're more active than he was. Welcome to league!
Thanks Cheers

I'm still kind of confused, I mean, what are the odds of left-shot RWs both named Nick Leier and liking the colour orange?

Either way, my goal is to be really active. I'll be doing anything I can to gain TPE.

Wasn't getting any more questions, no worries! It's all ready for grading now. Expect another presser from me after the draft Smile