Create Account

S31 Championship Week

1. Pick the game in a series that lost the losing team their chance at the cup (e.g. going down 3-1, letting a team come back to force a game 7), and write 200 words about what specific element of the game (a line, a statistic, a fight, etc) contributed the most to the loss.

This is simple have your GM’s cheat at regression! The Seattle Riot front office totally pulled a fast one to get us into the second round. Once our rosters were adjusted we were fish out of the water and it showed as we quickly dropped behind Edmonton 3 – 1 like in most series it is all down from that point. Why there was a lot of anger, and hatred flying around the website at both abdeezy & 701. The team tried to embrace the mishap by coining and most players sporting the #S31* banner. In the long run everyone got what they wanted, another New England Wolfpack victory.

While the league rejoiced this foul up brought the Seattle Riot closer together, although they had ~600 less TPE than they did all season, and in the first round of the playoffs. This chemistry built will show in future seasons as Seattle has a strong vet presence and has been slowly building pieces to ensure the future of the Seattle Riot. They are a perennially playoff contender and I cannot see this small set back effecting them in the long run. While it’s not something on the ice that breaks you apart, it’s also not always something on it that brings you together.

2. Your player is out of the playoffs! Whether this is because the team didn't make it, or you have been eliminated, or you won the cup, write 150 words about the first thing they do to kickstart the offseason.
There was one place you can guarantee you’ll find Patrick Brumm and a host of other Seattle Riot players to kick off the post season. While you would expect it to be the bar, it was actually the cannabis club. It’s no secret several players frequent the Queen Anne Cannabis club which is just a stone’s throw from Key Arena in the heart of Seattle. Different players choose to use different types of medication for instance Jackson Cartier, and Patrick Brumm can most often be seen buying something they can dab. Where other players such as Orlov, and McFadden prefer to get all holistic and prefer to use CBD like the dirty hippys they are. While the SHL does not have any rules against the use of weed, and it is recreationally legal here in Washington, rumor has it Portland has a full cannabis club in the LR. Which may prove to be distracting on some of the trips down to play the PAC NW foe Portland.

3. Write 200 words about which single stat is most important in playoff success, for example goals, plus/minus, shots on goal, sv%)

I would have to go with shots on goal as the single most important stat of the playoffs. I learned early on from doing PBPs for Goalies like Tanner, and Nikita Nevoroz the big difference between a God tier goalie, and a suck goalie. I’ll let you determine which is which, but I feel it has a drastic effect on the outcome of a game.

If you read through an index or PBP that say Jakob Tanner is in net for, you notice a pattern of the phrase “without a rebound” littered through out. Tanner does not allow a lot of second chance opportunities, he either blocks it when he knows a teammate can handle and potentially clear it, or holds it right in his trapper. Another thing I noticed is how a big a role these rebounded shots on goal play in building suspense.

Another reason I see shots on goal being one of the most important stats is the old cliché of you miss all the shots you don’t take. Essentially you can’t win the game if the puck isn’t getting put on net because you would be completely unable to score. That being said SOG is not always the deciding factor as you see teams get severely out shot but still manage to come away with the win.