Create Account

S31 Championship Week

1. Pick the game in a series that lost the losing team their chance at the cup (e.g. going down 3-1, letting a team come back to force a game 7), and write 200 words about what specific element of the game (a line, a statistic, a fight, etc) contributed the most to the loss.

The two series where New England can eat a giant butt and the whole ass.

2. Your player is out of the playoffs! Whether this is because the team didn't make it, or you have been eliminated, or you won the cup, write 150 words about the first thing they do to kickstart the offseason.

i'm kicking off the offseason by deleting the bojo machine. it doesn't make a difference and nobody cares about it anyway. hockey actually sucks a giant butt except for the canes who currently have a four game winning streak to go from last to not so last. maybe i'll just work on my video games that i'll never finish. I got engaged, which is pretty un-toppable, so everything else kinda sucks in comparison. we went to harry potter world in orlando and got butterbeer. i might do that again because it was so magical. florida is pretty damn awesome if i say so myself. except for the whole voting for trump thing. i wouldn't be suprised if i ran into Merica on the beaches of Daytona as I drive my way down there. I'd like to actually visit Miami that would be fun too. life is good, shl just starting to blow more and more.

3. Write 200 words about which single stat is most important in playoff success, for example goals, plus/minus, shots on goal, sv%)

the luck stat is a hidden STHS attribute that nobody really knows about. but i broke down a copy of STHS on a binary level and concluded that sths can shove a stick up it's app-hole because those numbers don't make sense. WKP has has great teams, but it's hard to improve the luck attributes. We've had a couple of people with decent luck numbers, such as Szlerchek and Pettyfer, but our scouting has failed to include that as a priority when it comes to ability to put puck in net based on how the wind is blowing. I've been playing the wind waker non-stop trying to figure out how to solve this issue, but a stupid boat keeps telling me i gotta go get the three pearls or some crap.

the other stat our team needs to improve is the game 7 coin flip attribute. since s25 WKP has been a part of NINE game 7's going 4-5 total including one in the finals. we actually won the game 7's i thought we'd lose and vice versa. they always magically seem to be one goal games that have an average of at least one overtime period weirdly enough. it's almost like it's predetermined from the start, but let's give it a good show just in case.

4. Write 200 words about your chosen unsung playoff hero. Must include three stats.

our unsung playoff hero is MLF. despite losing the series because of events beyond his control, he gave it everything he could to change destiny. MLF was an amazing goalie that series, but sometimes bad things happen to good people. MLFshakes had an amazing .910 save percentage, but simon kept pushing the goalie out of the crease when it mattered most. Like with one minute to go befor WKP wins the series, brandon "buttboy" pomery actually made a pass and assisted the game tying goal. and despite buttboy taking a penalty in Overtime, with WKP shooting nine times on a goalie with the confidence of somebody who just drank the magic juice from space jam, buttboy scores the game winner. i don't think i want to live in a world where buttboy is the star of a playoff game. even the star judges didn't think so and didn't even give him one of the three stars that game. clearly robbed of a another chance at the title, and another chance to take down at least toronto. Our bitter rivals, Toronto! and then new england had to eat the whole butt and do it again against Toronto. MLF was deprived of a chance to crap on JNH before his farewell tour. instead mlf was one of the many casualties of the NEW poo storm.

5. Design playoff merchandise for a team. Can be a t-shirt, or a hat, or something a little more unusual. Be creative! Must include a team logo somewhere on the item.

6. Design a poster for the finals, matching the teams against one another. Must include at least two player renders, and both team's logos.

7. Make a graphic matching up a "Player To Watch" on each team in the finals. Must have 3 stats minimum, two player renders and team logos.

8. Design the Championship banner that will go at the top of the site. Must include at least one render, the team name and logo, and "S31 Challenge Cup Champions".

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

he just did his entire CW in one go without a placeholder what a fucking weirdo

[Image: OzriPox.png]

Player Page - Update Page

artermis,Feb 2 2017, 04:11 PM Wrote:9gag pretty lit tho

1. Pick the game in a series that lost the losing team their chance at the cup (e.g. going down 3-1, letting a team come back to force a game 7), and write 200 words about what specific element of the game (a line, a statistic, a fight, etc) contributed the most to the loss.

During their first round series against the New England Wolfpack, the West Kendall Platoon had a huge lead. They felt overconfident. They felt like the series was in the bag. It seems like they never learn their lesson... The night before game 5, they thought they didn't need to rest because, c'mon, who would blow a 3-1 lead, right? So Oliver Pettyfer organized a Tupperware party at his house. He paid good money to have customized West Kendall Platoon tupperwares available, and the rest of the team was super excited to go to his place to have a wild Tupperware buying night. Surely enough, the day after, they could barely skate because they were too tired from spending all their money. Then, during game 6, Raven Silverwing mocked Pettyfer because he said he paid way too much for his WKP merchandise, and that he got NEW personalized stuff for like half the price because his team was "hot" right now. Pettyfer couldn't let that one go unpunished, so the latvian forward showed Silverwing no one could laugh at his WKP Tupperware. The ref couldn't believe his ears when Silverwing said the price he paid for his Tupperwares and ejected him for being a lying bastard. After that, the WKP lived in torment and despair and eventually lost game 7.

Code:
Oliver Pettyfer beats up Raven Silverwing at 6:14 of 1st period
Raven Silverwing ejected from game at 6:14 of 1st period

3. Write 200 words about which single stat is most important in playoff success, for example goals, plus/minus, shots on goal, sv%)

The most important stat is the "fuck you, this shit's gonna be random as hell" stat from STHS. As soon as your team is half decent, you barely qualify for the playoffs, and you do because the other teams below yours in the standings have pretty crappy line ups, line strategies, inactive 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines and n00b goalies. Then, once you're in the playoffs, shit like endurance have 0 impact on your team's performance. Moreover, players with high scoring just end up shooting like madmen and miss the net at least 95 % of the time. The other 5 % of their shots land directly in the goalie's glove and people doing pbp try to make it exciting by posting those rare shots landing on net in 16 different posts while they're on google looking for a picture or, if they're feeling wild, a gif, of a way more interesting save than it actually really is. The true power of the "fuck you" stat is that it leads you to believe you'll win Game 4, 5, 6 or 7 by having your team be up by a goal when there's barely any time left to the game. Then, the other team that played like shit and shot maybe 15 times on your goal scores. Then you know you're gonna get fucked once more in overtime. This stat is difficult to control or predict but we were able to notice it likes to fuck with Toronto best. Indeed, the North Stars never won the cup and even when they kill it during the regular season, they can't get to the final for shit.

5. Design playoff merchandise for a team. Can be a t-shirt, or a hat, or something a little more unusual. Be creative! Must include a team logo somewhere on the item.

[Image: v5h5ec.png]

6. Design a poster for the finals, matching the teams against one another. Must include at least two player renders, and both team's logos.
[Image: v6r7g5.png]

Bonus: Clayto

[Image: engishl.gif]
FranceMonarchsCitadellesMonarchsScarecrowsCitadellesMonarchsScarecrowsCitadellesMonarchsScarecrowsFrance

1. It was a series that crushed the souls of many Whaler-ites across Canada, that saw the Kelowna Knights rage back from an improbably series deficit of three to zero to upend the Vancouver Whalers in game seven of a heartbreaking series. There could be considered many turning points during the final four games of this series, perhaps it was the gritty effort in game four on the road to bring the series back to Kelowna for another home chance, or the desperate road victory in game six that propelled the team to a winner takes all game seven, home in Kelowna.

But for the purposes of this question, I chose the final game, game seven, as the game in the series that lost the Whalers their chance at the cup, specifically for the stat line of shots for and against:

Shots 1 2 3 T
Vancouver Whalers 6 5 4 15
Kelowna Knights 9 17 19 45

It takes no rocket surgeon to notice the incredible disparity of shots, as the playoff weary Whalers could barely put up an effort in this category and were outshot 45 to 15, and outscored 5 to 0. Nobody could have predicted that the Whalers, a decent road team all season, would put up such a meager effort in their biggest game of the season. It truly was a testament to the Kelowna juggernaut because once they got rolling; they could not be stopped, and if not for some incredible Whalers goaltending this one could have been much, much worse. (257 words)

2. The first thing Alex Reed is going to do is to book a flight to Vegas for him, some of his teammates and best friends so that they can celebrate their second straight SMJHL championship (is it too soon to call it??). The party will be reserving a penthouse at the Bellagio, because that’s how they roll, and after suiting up, hit the high limit craps tables before bottle service at Hyde. After sufficient lubrication the group is next off to one of the top strip clubs Vegas has to offer, either the Rhino or Sapphires, to extol the virtues of the team’s recent success to any of the fine ladies that would be more than happy to show their appreciation. After the required trip to the champagne room for extra services, the after-party would occur back at the penthouse in which all of the succulent women would be invited.

Rinse, wash and repeat over a period of 10 to 14 days. (163 words)

3. As they say, defence wins championships. Offence is nice and flashy, and often times is the main thing remembered about a certain game, but when it comes down to it - the line between success and failure is almost certainly defined by a team’s ability to keep pucks out of their own net and not by putting them in the other.

So far in the playoffs this run, the Halifax Raiders have managed to keep their goals against at just over two goals per game after 10 games. They have compiled a record of 8 and 2 over that stretch, despite not scoring at as prolific a pace as last season’s cup run. In fact, certain players that had scored at a decent rate during the regular season have seen the goals dry up, but not the team success.

To a novice statistician, this success might be largely attributed to the goaltending tandem of Dick C. Hocolate and Georgette Pel. However, when investigating their save percentages you see that neither stand out as top metrics in the league, suggesting that neither goaltender has been asked to steal games for the team, instead merely keep them in it, and let the Raiders stellar team defence do the rest. (208 words)

4. The unsung playoff hero so far in the S31 Four-Star Cup playoffs has been Halifax Raider defenceman, Toivo Kosonen. The first thing one might think when discussing Kosonen’s recent efforts, is that he is mired in a scoreless streak, having zero goals in the playoffs so far after ten games. This is especially concerning considering he was a prolific regular season scorer, one of the top defensive scorers in the league. Kosonen has managed to put up five assists over the playoffs so far, but it is clear that his offensive output is below his regular production.

What isn’t readily apparent, is that Kosonen leads the playoff Raiders in three key, yet often overlooked statistics: minutes played in the playoffs (230 minutes), minutes per game (23:05 per game) and shots blocked (20). These aren’t the flashiest of stats when compared with the holy trinity of goals, assists and points, but without his unsung defensive efforts, the Raiders would not be in position to repeat as Four-Star Cup champions for Season 31.

And with an entire series yet to be played, Kosonen finds himself in an interesting position to go from unsung playoff hero, to actual playoff hero, if he is able to notch that all important first goal in a critical game. (213 words)

Prediction: Raven Silverwing (NEW)

2. Your player is out of the playoffs! Whether this is because the team didn't make it, or you have been eliminated, or you won the cup, write 150 words about the first thing they do to kickstart the offseason.
Travis Kudleychuk and the Winnipeg Jets found themselves out of the before the season even ended, and for some of the players that meant checking out of the season and paying attention to other things. For Travis Kudleychuk he simply stopped caring about the Simulation Hockey League and started attending games at other leagues. Specifically Kudleychuk was seen attending other hockey game in the Get On My Hockey League where his long time friend Gustav Naslund took home another Most Valuable Player Award and is in the GOMHL playoffs himself. Kuddles also spent some time flying to basketball games in North Carolina and Houston to support his fellow athletes Kyle Eric Taylor and Alex Moran of the Simulation Basketball League and NCAA. “For me if we aren’t winning I’m likely not paying attention. I see sports as an escape from your day to day life, so when my life sucks I just turn my attention to others league to get lost in. I love GOMHL and the SBA.”

Wins. Most teams have one goalie play every game in the post season, so the goalie with the most wins likely played for the team that won the playoffs… so obviously wins is the most important statistic. Also this question was written retardedly, good job.

4. Write 200 words about your chosen unsung playoff hero. Must include three stats.
JayWhy is far and away the unsung hero of the playoffs. Simply put without a simmer there wouldn’t be a playoffs for every one to enjoy (or at the very least he’s done a nice enough job of moving things along quickly enough for those of us completely ignoring the playoffs and waiting for next season). Also, thank you to the updaters who are stuck doing the shittiest job in the league. You guys don’t get enough love.

[Image: Untitled.png]

Toronto went up 3 games to 1 on the defending champion New England Wolfpack in the eastern conference finals and New England won game 5 at home to no one’s surprise to send the series back to Toronto for game 6 and a chance to close the series out and advance to the finals.

This game was set up for Toronto to advance, but they found themselves outshot in the first period 15 to 11 and New England had taken a 4 to 3 lead into the second period. In just a 30 second time frame in this second period around the seven minute mark, the series was lost for Toronto as they gave up two goals to make the Wolfpack lead 6 to 3. Clitsome scored the first of those goals, his second of the game and 3rd overall, and that was quickly followed up by Dominique’s 3rd. You could hear a pin drop after that second goal in
Toronto’s arena and just see the air come out of the building and the concern not only on the player’s faces, but also the fans.

New England also outshot the North Stars 15 to 7 in the period. The Wolfpack also added one more in the third to close the game out with a 7 to 3 win to force game 7 which they won 5 to 3.

The first thing Vader does to start his offseason is to take a couple week break from hockey to let the body heal after a rugged season of dishing out hits and blocking shots.

During those couple of weeks, Vader will travel to the beach with the family to get a little rest and relaxation while listening to the waves crash onto the beach, watching the sunrise and sunset from the family’s private home on the beach while drinking some coffee in the morning and some wine in the evening, and getting the smell of salt water in the air.

Vader also likes to do some cooking which he often doesn’t get time for during season. Some nice home cooked meals always hit the spot instead of having to eat food in hotels or restaurants all the time like during the season. Some good stir-fry with fresh veges out of the garden to homemade chicken and dumplings to even pasta and meatballs, always hit the spot for Vader to start off his offseason.

I think the single most important stat for playoff success is something that is not measured in the sim and that is puck possession. Puck possession is all about puck control – the more you control the puck, the better chance of scoring a goal and the chance of your team giving up a goal lessens. If your team doesn’t have puck possession, then the opposite of the last statement happens. Control the puck more, the better chance your team has to win.
The team that controls the puck more over the course of a 7 game series will not only have the better chances but also wear the other team down. Keeping them pinned in their own end for extended shift usually leads to a mistake on their end whether it be a goal, icing or a penalty.

Then you have to think about puck possession on the special teams also. Keeping the puck in the offensive zone and generating chance after chance on the power play will not only wear out the penalty killers by not letting them get back to the bench but more often than not will lead to a goal.

If you plot out puck possession, goal difference and winning percentage, you are going to find a high correlation between the three because having puck possession leads to a higher goal difference which leads to a higher chance of winning.

The unsung playoff hero so far in the playoffs has been Edmonton Blizzard goalie, Brett Broadway. In my opinion, playoff success starts in goal and having a goalie back there that can steal games and be relied upon to make the big shave pays huge dividens for his/her team playing in front of them.

He has led the Blizzard, the #2 seed in the West, to a 6 game win over the #3 Texas Renegades in the first round of the playoffs and a 5 game win over the #4 seed Seattle Riot in the Western Conference Finals.
Broadway has won 8 out of the 11 games he has played in so far in the playoffs. But what is most impressive is his GAA 1.97 in those 11 games and a save percentage of .926. He has faced over 300+ shots in those 11 games which comes out to be an average of over 28 shots per game. He also has one shoutout so far in the first two rounds of the playoffs.

In order for the Blizzard to “upset” the #1 seed from the East and win the SHL Championship, Broadway is going to have to continue his strong play, but the backbone of any championship team starts in net and so far in these playoffs, Broadway has been that backbone and then some.

Prediction: Who scores the Cup winning goal? Ivan Koroviev

1. The Turning Tide:

I'm picking the game which I believe lost the Vancouver Whalers their chances at advancing in the playoffs: Game 5 of the Western Conference Finals in the SMJHL. Up to that point, the Whalers had a solid 3-1 lead over the Knights, with Vancouver having just failed to clinch the series in game 4 in a full blown sweep. At that point Kelowna didn't really have any momentum, it was more a matter of them having survived elimination. This game was the opportunity for my team to move forward past their biggest obstacle in the path to the cup… and advance to the second finals of my career.

It was a tight game through the first 2 periods, with the score tied up at 2-2. We had to close out Kelowna before they managed any more wins, because I knew that their “battle for survival” would turn into a “quest to retake the series” if we didn’t stop them soon. Sadly, just about 8 minutes in, it’d be an area of strength for our team which would become our downfall… in the regular season we’d had a great PP and a very solid PK, it’d propelled us into that 2nd overall spot in the league. On this day, surrendering a goal after Mbb got called for tripping is what put us behind. We never got another chance to go on a power play of our own, and never got another goal to even things up. My personal stat line read all zeros… a real disgrace for a player of my caliber and experience level in the league. It was an utter disappointment, and my feeling after that game was fate was against us, and we were bound to give up 4 straight wins to Kelowna- which of course ended up happening.

2. Kickstarting the Offseason

I can’t personally speak as to how my new team, the Texas Renegades will kickstart their off season, because I’ve never been around for it with them. I can; however, speak to how my old team in Vancouver got things started.

I was never able to celebrate winning the cup after the season, with a loss sending us out of contention at each level of the playoffs… the first round, the conference championship, and the finals. It’s always tough coping with losing. Personally, I always met it with a few nights of solid drinking, before it was time to turn things back on, and get back to the grind- doubling down on the prior year’s level of work and intensity.

So when the time to get back to the training came, how’d we get things going in Vancouver? A good ol’ fashioned pond hockey game. See, the thing is, after you get defeated in the playoffs, it can be tough to think about why we all started playing the game- it’s all because we love it. Getting back out with the guys, in a fun- yet competitive, pond hockey game brought us all back to our roots every time. We all started to recall how fun it is to be out there, the rush of making a great pass or letting a nice shot go. We familiarized ourselves with the comradery again, and it put us in a mindset to be ready to get back to working for ourselves, for one another, and for the fans.

3. The Stat that Matters:

The notion that there’s 1 singular stat which is important for playoff success is a bit misguided in my opinion. I think the bare minimum is 2… but to stick with the task, I’ll just pick one. It’s not a hard choice in my mind…

Scoring is certainly the most important stat en route to a championship winning post season. It doesn’t matter how good your goal tender is, how many hits you rack up, how good you are at blocking shots, how infrequently you get on the PK, even how many shots you get… if you’re not scoring goals, you won’t win. Being a high caliber offense covers up so many other short comings in the league. If you get up on the score board, you begin dictating the game to the opponents. You make them start “trying to do too much”, which usually only serves to open the flood gates even further. Your organization can make due with a lesser goal tender, too. If you’re forcing teams to score 4+ goals to beat you every night, you’re going to win a lot of games, because even amongst the lesser tenders in the league, that’s a very doable task, keeping GAA below 4.

Frankly, this has been the biggest weakness of the Vancouver Whalers in the years I’ve played there. We just never scored enough goals. Our defense and goal tending were our strengths, and while that was enough to win a few playoff series, it was never enough to carry us all the way to cup hoisting victory. At a pure shooter on a defensive team, even my best year paled in comparison to teams who got more opportunities. In the long run, I think that killed us.

4. Unsung Hero:

My unsung hero choice will come from my team’s roster… Taro Tsujimoto. He certainly won’t be a player who will be hearing praises sung upon him, after the Whalers were eliminated from playoff contention in game 7 of the WCF.

First and foremost, Tsujimoto is a rookie, who doesn’t have the playoff experience that many other players on the roster, and in the league, have. Likely due to that fact, he was not in a position to put up big production, playing only 13:17 minutes nightly, good for 7th amongst forwards. However, in that limited play time, the put up 9 points (by way of 3 goals and 6 assists), good enough for 3rd on the team behind only Jon Ross and Victor Lindstrom. Considering the relationship between minutes played and total points, his production worked out to .97 P/20, the best mark of the team as a whole. Taro chipped in a 66% FO win percentage, along with 11 hits, helping his team maintain and take possession of the puck during games.

Had the rest of the team played with even close to the efficiency of Tsujimoto in the WCF series, Vancouver undoubtedly would have been able to take the 4th game in any of their last 4 chances, to win the series and move onto the finals. Hopefully Taro will be able to keep this level of production up as he moves through his SMJHL career, he is positioned to move to the forefront of forwards in the league in crunch time.

Predictions:
Q: Who scores the Cup winning goal?
A: Theo Kane

[Image: tZTGSGj.png]
[Image: 2AFxw6o.png]

#2. Your player is out of the playoffs! Whether this is because the team didn't make it, or you have been eliminated, or you won the cup, write 150 words about the first thing they do to kickstart the offseason.

In what will be a surprise to nobody, Esa Anrikkanen gets his off-season kickstarted with a week long Parm Fest. The veteran Calgary forward invites the entire team over to his mansion and has a festival of parms so they can start anew and forget their early playoff exit this season. Now if they had won the cup it'd basically be the same party, just with a different reasoning. Regardless there's a shitload of different kind of parms at this festival. Chicken parm, Meatball Parm, Eggplant Parm, Sausage, Pepper & Onion Parm, Veal Parm, Turkey Parm, basically any kind of meat you can involve with cheese and sauce, Esa has it and has a lot of it. Everyone gorges themselves, drinks heavily and relaxes in his plethora of Lazy-Boy Recliners, while the Calgary Ice-Girls give them "personal attention." It's really a great time and will help all Dragons players refresh themselves and get ready for a new season. [158]

#5. Design playoff merchandise for a team. Can be a t-shirt, or a hat, or something a little more unusual. Be creative! Must include a team logo somewhere on the item.

[Image: white_bikini_4_jpg11.jpg]

#6. Design a poster for the finals, matching the teams against one another. Must include at least two player renders, and both team's logos.

[Image: 462693961_slide_jpg1111.jpg]

#8. Design the Championship banner that will go at the top of the site. Must include at least one render, the team name and logo, and "S31 Challenge Cup Champions"

[Image: 1476415488_1476415042_NS_13_STARSPOLICELD12_53480.jpg]

Bonus: Patrikov Bure

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite

After a long season, and a short first round of the playoffs, Nicholas Pedersen is looking forward to taking a few days off before amping up the workouts to get ready for his 12th season in the SHL. This year has been quite a change for Pedersen, as he and his wife welcomed their first child, a baby girl, into the world. So after the long year, Nico is going to take the wife and their baby girl for a relaxing getaway to Cancun. Where they can catchup on sleep and really enjoy not having the distractions that come with being a star in the SHL. There is nothing like a week of doing nothing in paradise to really get those batteries charged up and ready to go for an upcoming season. It helps that the baby is now sleeping through the night, so we may see a more determined Pedersen in the upcoming season, now that he isn’t changing diapers every night at 2AM.

As somebody that was privileged to be a member of two Champions Cup teams, I know from first-hand experience that the most important statistic in having a successful run thorough the playoffs is save percentage. Goals are great and necessary, however, if your goalie isn’t stopping the puck from hitting the back of the net, then you are not going to have any success in the playoffs. Looking back at the last time Calgary won the cup in S29, the finals came down to game 7, with Wong ending up saving 90.8% of shots against, while Tanner had a save % of 90.5. In season 28, Jake Aittokallo carried Edmonton on his back saving 92.7% of the shots he faced in Edmontons playoff run. Season 30 we see the same trend as Jakob Tanner turned away 92.9% of shots faced in a dominating performance that saw New England raise the cup. As you can see from the last three runs at the Challenge Cup, you are only as good as your backstop. If your goalie is not playing well and turning away everything the other teams are throwing on net, then you will not be enjoying a successful run in the playoffs. That is why I believe that save percentage is the most important stat when it comes to playoffs success in the SHL..

Team Poster:
[Image: NEWolfpack_Poster.png]

[Image: S31_Challenge_Cup_Poster.png]

Bonus: Patrikov Bure

[Image: mstuk41.gif]
[Image: 35884_s.gif]

[Image: jcjcF7J.png][Image: nHs4nH0.png]

Placeholder

The Seattle Riot vs The Edmonton Blizzard. Game 4 of the Western Conference Finals. The series is 2-1 for the Edmonton Blizzard and this was a huge game for the Riot. They had to win to tie up the series or else the Blizzard would control a comfortable 3-1 series lead and would only need one more to win to make the Challenge Cup Finals. The final outcome? The Edmonton Blizzard win the game 5-3 and take the outright lead in the series. Winning this game gave them the momentum to win game 5 against the Riot and make their way to the finals. The reason behind their success in that game? The first line of Theo Kane, Pedro Sarantez and Tommy Creller. Kane scored his 6th and 7th goal of the playoffs in that game, both coming in the 3rd period to increase the Blizzard lead from 3-2 to 5-2. Sarantez also scored a goal in that game and assisted one of Theo Kane’s goals. Tommy Creller finished the game with 2 assists on goals from Sarantez and Kane. The three players combined for 6 points that game and have been doing it all for the Blizzard in the playoffs. Tommy Creller leads the team in points with 13 (6 goals and 7 assists), Kane is right behind with 12 (7 goals and 5 assists) and Sarantez is 5th with 9 points (3 goals and 6 assists). They look to carry the Blizzard to a Challenge Cup Finals victory.

Code:
250 words

Well another season goes by and with the Portland Admirals being not even making the playoffs, the long offseason is set to begin. But it was a pretty eventful one for Don Pellegrino as there was talks that the star youngster might be on the way out of Portland. Don does what he usually does at the end of his hockey season, which is pack up his bags and book a flight to Italy where he goes to see his family and friends for the offseason. His trip to Italy was a little short lived this season as Don got a phone call from the Admirals front office that he has been traded to the lovely city of Winnipeg. It was a new venture as Pellegrino finds himself on his 3rd different team in the last three seasons. Don picks up a plane ticket and moves his way to Winnipeg to meet with everyone and get settled down in Winnipeg for the upcoming SHL season.

Code:
165 words

The most important single stat when it comes down to the playoffs is the goals against average for a goalie. The goalie is usually the most important player in the playoffs. They are the ones that are the last line of defense before the lamp lights up. It is simple, the lower the amount of goals the goalie gives up, the greater the chance for your team to win the game. Wit no surprise to anyone, the goalies with the lowest GAA are the two teams in the Challenge Cup Finals. The goalie with the best GAA so far is Brett Broadway, who has played all 11 games for the Blizzard and posting a 1.97 goals against average in the playoffs. The Blizzard has scored 2.91 goals per game in the playoffs. The next two goalies with the best GAA are Jakob Tanner with 2.35 in 8 games and Mikke Laukkanen with 2.40 in 6 games. The Wolfpack have scored 3.21 goals per game. The stats don’t lie as the best goalies with the best GAA in the playoff are in the finals as they continue to give their teams the greatest chance to win games with allowing the least amount of goals.

Code:
203 words

The unsung hero of the playoffs isn’t someone you are going to see at the top of the scoring leaders but is doing his own little thing which has been quite a surprise for the Wolfpack in the playoffs. The season 22 veteran Brandon Pomery has had a very successful playoff with 3 goals and 5 assists for a total of 8 points so far. He is usually hiding behind the shadow of Jasper Clayton and Benjamin Reid, the two-superstar defenseman of the New England Wolfpack, but has gotten into a groove since the playoffs has started. He is a +7 and has taken 10 penalty mines so far. He is doing work on the defensive end with 15 hits and 12 shots blocked. He also has a power play assist but the most staggering statistic is that Brandon has 2 game winning goals, which is the most on the top. Every playoff, someone stands out with their clutch genes and this might be Brandon Pomery’s year with the Challenge Cup left to play for. He is tallying almost 19 minutes a night so there is a very good chance that we can see Brandon Pomery produce the way he’s been producing the entire playoffs.

Code:
205 words

5. Prediction: Who scores the Cup winning goal?

Patrikov Bure

[Image: RBQhWRP.png]
[Image: sLnhTvh.jpg]

I think the game that put the nail in the coffin for the Edmonton Blizzards was losing game 3. Everybody knows that a 3-0, even 3-1 deficit is extremely hard to come back from. Not being able to take any of the first 3 games puts an incredible amount of added pressure onto the players from Edmonton, as every single game they play from there on out becomes a must win situation. The fact that if they were to win the championship they would have to go against those odds and that pressure 4 times in a row? That would take an abnormally strong group of guys to do. I think the other side of losing game 3 was that it sows seeds in the heads of both New England AND Edmonton players. Where Edmonton players maybe don’t feel like they have what it takes, seeing as they’ve lost three in a row to the team they’re supposed to be on equal terms with in the finals, New England players feel like they have exceeded what they need to become a championship team. Many of their players already did it last year, and to go up 3-0 on a team must feel like some sort of acceptance as the top (no pun intended) dogs in the league.

After a disappointing end to the playoffs for both the Mammoths and the North Stars, Jacob Renninger took a little bit of time just kicking back and relaxing at home. After a little bit of that, Renny realized it was time to get back to training to try and improve for next season. From weight lifting to on the ice practice, Renninger did it all with the thought of finally getting to the finals with any one of his teams. He did this training with the guilt of feeling like he let his fellow Mammoths down after a disappointing last season. Renninger has also been seen around town hanging out with his fellow Mammoths, as as they are an inseparable bunch of guys. Jacob keeps a calendar where he x’s out each day until the next hockey season, eagerly anticipating what it will bring. Hopefully for Jacob it’ll be some awards and a championship, but he’ll just have to wait and see.

For winning all important post season games, I would argue that the most important statistic in the playoffs is a pairing of goals against and the save % of the starting goalie. Everybody’s aware of the phrase the best offense is a good defense, and in the SHL that’s especially true. Taking experience from being on the Mammoths, who in my two seasons have struggled to put up volumes of shots on net, defense is the best help any team could have. No matter how much the offense is struggling to get shots off, never mind get those shots in the net, keeping the opposing team at next to no goals scored keeps your team forever in a position of winning. Even if your team is shooting 5% as a team average, if you can keep the opposing team to a score of 0 or 1, statistically speaking you can either tie or win the game simply by getting 20 shots off. For a team that struggles on defense, it often becomes a case of being out of contention too soon, allowing opposing teams who run up the shot counts to walk all over you, despite how good their respective shooting percentages may be.

[Image: 8_Txrx_EXoc.jpg]

7. Make a graphic matching up a "Player To Watch" on each team in the finals. Must have 3 stats minimum, two player renders and team logos.

8. Design the Championship banner that will go at the top of the site. Must include at least one render, the team name and logo, and "S31 Challenge Cup Champions".

[Image: bclD7fn.png]

New England vs Edmonton – Game 1

Many might think losing game one of a series would not be the pivotal game in a series, but for the SHL Championship series it was, as Edmonton would go on to lose three in a row before winning their only game of the SHL Finals and when you consider they only lost the game 2-1, it could have gone either way and led to a much more interesting series.

In the end, Edmonton’s Achilles heel was their penalty kill. New England only had 3 power play opportunities that game, in fact both sides had 3…but it was Edmonton that allowed the lone power play goal that really sealed their fate.

Though the penalty kill is not the only thing to blame, in fact you could point the blame directly on one person…Barney Stinson. He took 17 minutes in penalties and thus this threw the Edmonton defensive pairings into disarray and was likely the reason Edmonton could not recover, losing their potential number one defenseman.

Others however blame Edmonton’s lack luster offense who’s only goal came from a defenseman while all their forwards were unable to put a puck into the net. Big time players like Theo Kane, Pedro Sarantez and others all faded when the spotlight was on them…much to the disappointment of Blizzard fans everywhere.

In the end, there is blame to go around for Edmonton, but the culprits are the star players for Edmonton, who failed to show up, when they needed them the most.

~250 words

When you miss the playoffs for what seems like an eternity, you begrudgingly clear out your locker room and look forward to the next season starting, training camp and the possibility of making the playoffs next season.

However, for Sebastian Strange, time away from the SHL is a good thing and something he looks forward to, because you can only give your heart and soul for so long before you need a little rest and relaxation, time to yourself, to ponder and reflect.

For Sebastian, having time to spend with family and friends is the most important thing, because to them it doesn’t matter, he is their hero every day, regardless if Sebastian never scores another goal, or never dons a SHL jersey. In the end, life outside the SHL is more important and it’s the offseason that makes you realize that.

This doesn’t mean Sebastian hasn’t had a good time in the SHL to date, he has, but there has been struggles and the thought of walking away from what was once his passion becomes a conversation each and every off-season.

~180 words

When you look at all the analytics out there and compare them all it can be a little overwhelming, Corsi this and takeaway that. However, there is one tried and true stat that really makes the difference when it comes to playoff success and that my friends is good old plus/minus rating.

Now I know some of you are not fans of this stat, but lets take a look at it, regardless if you are just lucky and happen to be on a line that produces more goals or allows less it demonstrates good team play, both offensively and defensively. Goals for and against only show one elements of the game (offense or defense), but plus/minus shows how your line plays in both ends of the ice.

Let’s compare the SHL Champions to the runners up and breakdown the numbers to prove this to you.

As a team, Edmonton was minus all throughout their line-up, except 5 players (most which played minimal ice time) were 0, New England in comparison did not have a single player that was a negative plus minus.

You can look at almost every team in the SHL playoffs and see most teams that are a negative plus/minus end up losing in the end and those that can play well at both ends of the ice, are a positive plus/minus.

So in the end it is pretty clear that plus/minus rating is a good indication of playoff success.

~225 words

Un-Sung Playoff Hero: Raven Silverwing

I’m not sure if Raven Silverwing has taken a step back since being part of the SMJHL were he led the SMJHL in scoring, but he has contributed so much these playoffs in such a big way you must know he is one of the main reasons the New England Wolfpack repeated their championship run.

Firstly, Raven received the 9th highest minutes of ice time per game, 6th amongst forwards and still produced elite level points, 2nd highest on the team, including 1 game winning goal and 6 power play points (with the 7th highest PPM/game). In fact, Raven was so impressive offensively that he registered the highest points/20 min play, at 1.06, outshining fellow NE Wolfpack members who are household names throughout the league like Nathan Russell, Patrikov Bure and Jasper Clayton.

It is without a doubt that New England owes a large portion of their fortune to this elite player, who is just coming into their own.

Raven’s offensive totals (2nd highest goals on the team and 3rd highest in assists) are not to be out shined by solid defensive play, as he registered a respectable +5 rating throughout the playoffs, including 4 blocked shots.

With the undoubted offensive stats in mind and the respectable defensive play, one can only think Raven Silverwing is this seasons Unsung playoff hero.

~225 words

Bonus: Who scores the Cup winning goal? Jasper Clayton (scored 3rd goal in final game, Edmonton only scored 2)

Cara Hohenberg has yet to see the SHL playoffs, or, indeed, SHL ice at all. But when she's done blocking shots in the SMJHL playoffs, she's going to switch to blocking... her knitting! Hohenberg's knitting this season has been more ambitious than ever before, including a lace shawl for her mother, a lace shawl she's keeping for herself, a sweater vest made with self-striping yarn, and a trio of Starmore hats in Kelowna Knights colors that Hohenberg intends to donate to a charity auction in honor of her first-ever hat trick. But what is blocking? "Blocking is the final step after finishing a piece, you get it wet and pin it out to shape it, or you can do steam blocking with a steam iron, which is what I prefer. It takes time and space I don't have while I'm playing, but I can't wait to finally see how everything looks once it's shaped up."

It is nap time in the Aittokallio apartment. I have just a few more months remaining in Kelowna, and I'm going to enjoy them. This is the first time I've gotten a chance to really relax, and the first time I've wanted to. I'm going to do exactly what I need to do.

This is the time of the year where a good player takes a week off. I'm going to order pizza, I'm going to rent a couple movies, and I'm going to invite my friends over to just sit around and watch. Maybe Alex Light, maybe Eibher Sorensen, who knows could come. It's just a good opportunity to take the moment to yourself. There's no reason to go crazy with the partying, I've partied a bit much in my first year.

I'll get the tape sent to me so I can review with my goaltending coach in Manhattan soon. I'll establish a training schedule for the off-season. But the first thing to do, every off-season, is sit back and relax with a pizza and a movie.

Quote:[b]Word Count: 178[/b]

It's a simple concept. I'm a goalie, and I always feel that save percentage is the most important statistic, but that may be misleading. I'm biased, after all.

The true most important statistic is goals. I mean, really, what else would be? Your hits are fun and interesting, but it's just your typical flash and pizzazz move. It's the player who wants to be a star without the skill of actually affecting the play. If you take on the guy who just fires shots and can't beat a goalie, what all does it do? He's getting them warmed up, working and ready.

Goals matter. Without them, you can't win. I get it, as a goalie. I'd like a night with a lot of shots to get my blood flowing, but it's even better when I have a night facing like 14 shots because my team has held the puck and beat the goalie.

Sure, the assists can be a big factor in it as well, they're the second most important. We need people to help set things up. We need teamwork, we need possession. However, it's the finishers who are the stars, and the ones who deserve to be. They get the gold every step of the way for their team.

I'd rather win 8-0 than 1-0. Goals matter. Goals change everything. It's the most important statistic by a mile.

Quote:[b]Word Count: 230[/b]

It may seem like pandering to my audience, but truly the unsung hero of this postseason is Mikke Laukkanen.

It's possible not everybody agrees. It's understood if they don't, a back-up for eight games is the person who's the hero?

In the opening series for the New England Wolfpack, they used Laukkanen to open things up. They had faith, and was paid off in a huge double overtime loss that maintained the momentum from their great regular season. The Wolfpack then turned to Jakob Tanner for two games, and while he managed to take a win, he only had an .880 SV% and a 3.78 GAA. It was clear, West Kendall had Tanner's number and were ready to move on.

Then Laukkanen stepped in down 2-1, gave up another overtime loss then took three straight victories. In fact, for the entirety of the playoff run by Laukkanen has seen great success.

Laukkanen, despite only playing in short stints, has not given up a loss in regulation. He's a more aggressive type of goaltender, more physical and demanding overall. He's the type who can rally the team behind him, and give them opportunities to succeed. He may not win every time, but he helps the team get there when he can.

He started 5 games in the opening series and had one in the following one with Toronto. He's 3-0-3 with a .918 SV% which matches that of the "full-time" starter Jakob Tanner. He had a 2.40 GAA, which is fitting and just off from Tanner's. He's played spectacularly, and deserves a lot of praise for the effort he's put forth to give his team chances. Laukkanen is the unsung hero of these playoffs.

Quote:[b]Word Count: 283[/b]

I present to you, the Edmonton Blizzard flag!

[Image: Edmonton%20Blizzard%20Flag_zpszjsfaeki.jpg]

Question: Which player will score the Cup-winning goal?

Answer: Jasper Clayton

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE