Create Account

Offseason - VHL/SHL

Quote:Originally posted by Nereus@Feb 1 2017, 10:18 AM
This is the most cordial "hurry the fuck up its offseason" thread I've ever seen.

I try.

But I'm also looking for suggestions on how to speed it up in the future.

Quote:Originally posted by Avakael@Feb 1 2017, 10:11 AM

In fairness, it'd be a significant project to set up, and it's hard to sell the idea without a working model. Even trying to figure out an excel formula to turn applied TPE to a scaled number winds up being a nested IF statement from hell { =IF("weakness" = "specified skill",(40+IF(TPE>100,(30+(TPE-100)*(1/12)),IF(TPE>40,(20+(TPE-40)*(1/6)),(TPE*(1/2))))),(40+IF(TPE>160,(50+(TPE-160)*(1/12)),IF(TPE>80,(40+(TPE-80)*(1/8)),IF(TPE>40,(30+(TPE-40)*(1/4)),IF(TPE>20,(20+(TPE-20)*(1/2)),(TPE*(1/1)))))))) }. Then you have to ask how much you want the sheets to be able to handle- the more you ask of it, the more it'll need back; such as who gets to feed it with data (update staff equivalents). If you wanted to make the update staff equivalents job easier- for example, having the sheets keep track of all the TPE any player has available to spend, then someone has to enter that data too.

Solution:

Simplify the update scale. :D

Bring back the old update scale, weee!

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

Quote:Originally posted by ArGarBarGar@Feb 1 2017, 10:48 AM
Bring back the old update scale, weee!

Yeahthat

We also seem to care a lot more about recruiting than the vhl and we start recruiting in the offseason. Imo we should start before playoffs and have the smjhl draft almost on the same day as the shl draft

[Image: 34964_s.gif]
[Image: thd650h.png]
Affiliate of:
syndicate Steelhawks Whalers

Quote:Originally posted by Gifter of Bikes@Feb 1 2017, 10:48 AM

Based on this and <a href='index.php?showuser=2285' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-17'>Tomen</a> post above, it sounds like the biggest delay is [still] on the GM side.

<a href='index.php?showuser=1730' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-13'>Durden</a> - what are the repercussions in the GOMHL for GMs who don't get their stuff done in time? Are there different punishments depending on the item? You mentioned ineligible players, so I assume that's for players who aren't properly regressed in time. Is there a GM Gets Fired rule if it happens twice or something?

If players don't get regressed, they don't play in the sim.

If GMs slack, consequences are handed out that fit, and are discussed by HO. Luckily things have been done on time. Most of the time it's just a quick warning. I think there's only been a couple GMs that have been to the point of being fired, but it hasn't gotten that far... yet.

I think a fitting "punishment" is salary cap hits, or player benching. GMs have a lot of work to do, but should be THE MOST ACTIVE people on the site. Maybe losing your player for 10 games or having a 3 mil salary cap hit (especially with our new restructured contracts that make things tight and fair) will change the game and some attitudes. Smile

I hate telling people they need to do this or that, but everyone knows what they've signed up for when they take a position. If they don't, most are easy enough to be replaced. It's harsh, but I'm personally not okay with ruining the enjoyment of 150+ members to placate or coddle one or two.

Update PageWhalers | Wolfpack | Player Page

Jack Durden:

Season 24 - *4 Star Cup Champions - Vancouver Whalers*
Season 36 - *Challenge Cup Champions - Texas Renegades*
Season 36 - *Anton Razov Trophy Winner - Playoff MVP - Texas Renegades*
Season 41 - *IIHF Gold Medalist - Team United Kingdom*
Season 41 - *Triple Gold Member*
**Vancouver Whalers Hall of Fame**
**Texas Renegades Hall of Fame**
**Hall of Fame Member**

Quote:Originally posted by Durden@Feb 1 2017, 08:50 AM

If GMs slack, consequences are handed out that fit, and are discussed by HO. Luckily things have been done on time. Most of the time it's just a quick warning. I think there's only been a couple GMs that have been to the point of being fired, but it hasn't gotten that far... yet.

I think a fitting "punishment" is salary cap hits, or player benching. GMs have a lot of work to do, but should be THE MOST ACTIVE people on the site. Maybe losing your player for 10 games or having a 3 mil salary cap hit (especially with our new restructured contracts that make things tight and fair) will change the game and some attitudes. Smile

I hate telling people they need to do this or that, but everyone knows what they've signed up for when they take a position. If they don't, most are easy enough to be replaced. It's harsh, but I'm personally not okay with ruining the enjoyment of 150+ members to placate or coddle one or two.
Only 150? SHL on life support fam

[Image: 46381_s.gif]
sigs by ToeDragon84
[Image: Jpcs9tG.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Durden@Feb 1 2017, 11:50 AM

Thanks for this insight. I don't see anything here that I would object to being implemented in the SHL.

Quote:Originally posted by kit@Feb 1 2017, 08:42 AM
We also seem to care a lot more about recruiting than the vhl and we start recruiting in the offseason. Imo we should start before playoffs and have the smjhl draft almost on the same day as the shl draft

This exactly - instead of seeing the "hype" of finals, they new recruits first interaction with the website is offseason shitstorm, offseason too long threads, and the likes.

Quote:Originally posted by kit@Feb 1 2017, 08:42 AM
quiet you

...does <a href='index.php?showuser=2271' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-54'>Avakael</a> 's suggestion make the process go significantly smoother/faster?

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

Quote:Originally posted by probablydrunk@Feb 1 2017, 11:58 AM

This exactly - instead of seeing the "hype" of finals, they new recruits first interaction with the website is offseason shitstorm, offseason too long threads, and the likes.

What is this "hype" you speak of? Ninja

Quote:Originally posted by Pandar@Feb 1 2017, 09:03 AM

What is this "hype" you speak of? Ninja

Ninja

Quote:Originally posted by JKortesi81@Feb 1 2017, 12:02 PM
...does <a href='index.php?showuser=2271' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-54'>Avakael</a> 's suggestion make the process go significantly smoother/faster?

I think there would be a significant initial time investment but in the long run, if executed properly, yes, it would. It would be something that could be built during any time, though, and then simply implemented once bug checked.

Quote:Originally posted by Gifter of Bikes@Feb 1 2017, 12:05 PM

I think there would be a significant initial time investment but in the long run, if executed properly, yes, it would. It would be something that could be built during any time, though, and then simply implemented once bug checked.

Then we should seriously consider getting this engineered. I'm useless here, but i know we have the people who can make it happen.

Why wouldn't we do something that makes everything faster and easier? Unless i'm still too new to realize we're the simulation hockey version of Major League Baseball, and we fear change....

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page