Create Account

Offseason - VHL/SHL

Quote:Originally posted by JKortesi81@Feb 1 2017, 12:09 PM

Then we should seriously consider getting this engineered. I'm useless here, but i know we have the people who can make it happen.

Why wouldn't we do something that makes everything faster and easier? Unless i'm still too new to realize we're the simulation hockey version of Major League Baseball, and we fear change....

Seems like <a href='index.php?showuser=2271' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-54'>Avakael</a> would be able to give an idea on that.

As a VHL GM we have strict time limits on everything, or else we are punished for it. Hence why we have such quick off seasons. We want to keep it moving amd members to have fun not sit.around

did you guys hear? SHL offseason is long

Was half-expecting a crossover series proposal.

Quote:Originally posted by TimeToBringThePain@Feb 1 2017, 11:29 AM
As a VHL GM we have strict time limits on everything, or else we are punished for it. Hence why we have such quick off seasons. We want to keep it moving amd members to have fun not sit.around
As I remember too it wasn't even that difficult to get all the stuff done.

I was vhlm tho so who knows

Imo we just need more active gms. We're too lenient here and if someone is holding up the whole league they should be punished. Don't see why this is a debate

[Image: 34964_s.gif]
[Image: thd650h.png]
Affiliate of:
syndicate Steelhawks Whalers

Some suggestions:

1. No breaks between playoff rounds - would mean no updates between rounds either, but that's the way it goes, as long as it's the same for every team it's not unfair. By this token, with 2 sims per day, it would take only 4 days per round, i.e 12 days

2. Set tighter deadlines - for instance, people are already bitching about regression not being done, when the deadline isn't until Mon Feb 6th - if you wanted it done by today, set the deadline for today!

3. Start UFA discussions/signings earlier - does it HAVE to wait until after the draft?

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies     S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK     Grizzlies

Quote:Originally posted by Muerto@Feb 1 2017, 02:04 PM
Some suggestions:

1. No breaks between playoff rounds - would mean no updates between rounds either, but that's the way it goes, as long as it's the same for every team it's not unfair. By this token, with 2 sims per day, it would take only 4 days per round, i.e 12 days

2. Set tighter deadlines - for instance, people are already bitching about regression not being done, when the deadline isn't until Mon Feb 6th - if you wanted it done by today, set the deadline for today!

3. Start UFA discussions/signings earlier - does it HAVE to wait until after the draft?

I'm good with all of these.

Yeah it makes no sense to me why we have like 2 weeks for regression

Affiliate of:

We do free agency before the draft in GOMHL, and it works well. We get it started, open it up for a while and let the pieces fall.

Also, I love the idea of no breaks between rounds. You get one last big update before playoffs and you run with that team. It's how it should be done.

And the tighter deadlines are what I was talking about earlier. Set it earlier and people will get it done. People take forever because they are ALLOWED to take forever instead of hurrying it up.

Update PageWhalers | Wolfpack | Player Page

Jack Durden:

Season 24 - *4 Star Cup Champions - Vancouver Whalers*
Season 36 - *Challenge Cup Champions - Texas Renegades*
Season 36 - *Anton Razov Trophy Winner - Playoff MVP - Texas Renegades*
Season 41 - *IIHF Gold Medalist - Team United Kingdom*
Season 41 - *Triple Gold Member*
**Vancouver Whalers Hall of Fame**
**Texas Renegades Hall of Fame**
**Hall of Fame Member**

Basically what it boils down to is you can't treat the simmer like a dog and keep whipping him to go faster and faster. They will burn out eventually like Jack did. People have lives outside SHL, we hired ArGar to do file work to give him a break so it should go faster a bit. We are trying to figure more things to do in offseason as well.

[Image: iUd7IJE.png]
[Image: rhodes.png]

I haven't really read through this thread much, but I can state things I've been looking at to make things go quicker:

- I already attempted a faster season, people complained. So I made the season as long as possible, while keeping it within a month to maintain a comfortable speed.

- ArGar has signed on to be the file manager in the off-season so I get my breaks and we can move that along fine. I'm very grateful to him for that help.

- I was on a job hunt during these playoffs, so I had a bit more sporadic schedule and tried to schedule things to do (doctors, interviews, plans w/ family and friends) for weekends, so this playoffs had a bit longer of delays due to me setting up days after rounds finished to be as full as possible and giving little reprieve.

I plan to focus on making things quicker in the future for playoff rounds, though typically I still aim for 48 hours after final PBP ends to start the next round. It gives updaters a couple days after finding out who advanced to update, and since it's only 4 or 2 teams, it should be quick. It also gives the PT team time to put out a round prediction PT and rewards the more active players for being able to be on consistently with time for the PTs.

The issue in this is that there are times I have big weekend plans, and they'll take up much of the day. When my family is in the living room, I don't want to be in my room on Twitch for 20 minutes talking to everyone. So I set up things to do when I won't have to be on a strict sim schedule, and at times it means I'm going to delay a sim for an extra 12-24 hours. Most regular seasons I aim to start on a Monday, end on a Thursday, take until Monday to start playoffs. Monday to Thursday Rd 1, Sunday to Wednesday Rd 2, Saturday to Tuesday (at latest) Rd 3. It still takes about two weeks to do playoffs, and that'll be with no hiccups and in the quick set schedule. This postseason took about 3 weeks, primarily for me to have the personal time I needed.

Now, I have no idea what else I could do to go any faster. I've got a couple days off here and there during the most hectic time of playoffs for personal matters and to reset everything, and I've set it up so we can go as quickly through the off-season as possible thanks to the help of ArGar. The season goes as quickly as possible without people getting angry about it at about 26-28 days. So really, I'm pretty sure on my end things are fine. But if anyone has any other ideas for how I could go any quicker with it, I'm all ears. Just don't expect me to buy something or torrent it to run any faster.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

Quote:Originally posted by belgarat@Feb 1 2017, 02:52 PM
Basically what it boils down to is you can't treat the simmer like a dog and keep whipping him to go faster and faster. They will burn out eventually like Jack did. People have lives outside SHL, we hired ArGar to do file work to give him a break so it should go faster a bit. We are trying to figure more things to do in offseason as well.
I don't think anyone is saying that we should make jy do more work. If anything it's less work in the playoffs (don't have to update each round) and then just not really a 4 week vacation

Affiliate of:

Quote:Originally posted by Avakael@Feb 1 2017, 10:11 AM

In fairness, it'd be a significant project to set up, and it's hard to sell the idea without a working model. Even trying to figure out an excel formula to turn applied TPE to a scaled number winds up being a nested IF statement from hell { =IF("weakness" = "specified skill",(40+IF(TPE>100,(30+(TPE-100)*(1/12)),IF(TPE>40,(20+(TPE-40)*(1/6)),(TPE*(1/2))))),(40+IF(TPE>160,(50+(TPE-160)*(1/12)),IF(TPE>80,(40+(TPE-80)*(1/8)),IF(TPE>40,(30+(TPE-40)*(1/4)),IF(TPE>20,(20+(TPE-20)*(1/2)),(TPE*(1/1)))))))) }. Then you have to ask how much you want the sheets to be able to handle- the more you ask of it, the more it'll need back; such as who gets to feed it with data (update staff equivalents). If you wanted to make the update staff equivalents job easier- for example, having the sheets keep track of all the TPE any player has available to spend, then someone has to enter that data too.

I mean, I have excel/coding experience. I'd be willing to give it a shot if I was compensated for my time Wink

Also if GMs can get even partial lines in I can get stuff done more quickly. Once the first batch of rosters/lines/senddowns is done then it will take me no time at all to do the small edits.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

Quote:Originally posted by JayWhy@Feb 1 2017, 03:59 PM
I haven't really read through this thread much, but I can state things I've been looking at to make things go quicker:

- I already attempted a faster season, people complained. So I made the season as long as possible, while keeping it within a month to maintain a comfortable speed.

- ArGar has signed on to be the file manager in the off-season so I get my breaks and we can move that along fine. I'm very grateful to him for that help.

- I was on a job hunt during these playoffs, so I had a bit more sporadic schedule and tried to schedule things to do (doctors, interviews, plans w/ family and friends) for weekends, so this playoffs had a bit longer of delays due to me setting up days after rounds finished to be as full as possible and giving little reprieve.

I plan to focus on making things quicker in the future for playoff rounds, though typically I still aim for 48 hours after final PBP ends to start the next round. It gives updaters a couple days after finding out who advanced to update, and since it's only 4 or 2 teams, it should be quick. It also gives the PT team time to put out a round prediction PT and rewards the more active players for being able to be on consistently with time for the PTs.

The issue in this is that there are times I have big weekend plans, and they'll take up much of the day. When my family is in the living room, I don't want to be in my room on Twitch for 20 minutes talking to everyone. So I set up things to do when I won't have to be on a strict sim schedule, and at times it means I'm going to delay a sim for an extra 12-24 hours. Most regular seasons I aim to start on a Monday, end on a Thursday, take until Monday to start playoffs. Monday to Thursday Rd 1, Sunday to Wednesday Rd 2, Saturday to Tuesday (at latest) Rd 3. It still takes about two weeks to do playoffs, and that'll be with no hiccups and in the quick set schedule. This postseason took about 3 weeks, primarily for me to have the personal time I needed.

Now, I have no idea what else I could do to go any faster. I've got a couple days off here and there during the most hectic time of playoffs for personal matters and to reset everything, and I've set it up so we can go as quickly through the off-season as possible thanks to the help of ArGar. The season goes as quickly as possible without people getting angry about it at about 26-28 days. So really, I'm pretty sure on my end things are fine. But if anyone has any other ideas for how I could go any quicker with it, I'm all ears. Just don't expect me to buy something or torrent it to run any faster.

To summarize suggestions, I think:

1 - Two simmers in the SHL, so that if things come up with you, there's a backup, or you guys alternate months or whatever works out best.

2 - More pressure on GMs and their assistants to get shit done quickly, including personal and team penalties for those who do not.

3 - Start UFA talks before the draft, possibly have signings before the draft as well.

4 - No updates once the playoffs start, so continuous sims without gaps between rounds.

5 - ArGar continues with offseason file work to keep flow going.

Optional - Work on spreadsheet / xml file system to make offseason updating a significantly faster process.