Create Account

Trucker Talks Teams Pt 1, The West

So I went back and forth debating on whether or not to do a ranking article -- I don’t genuinely feel like I’m in a position to dictate where I get picked in the upcoming draft, and I also tend to feel mildly irritated by ranking articles -- but as a free agent pick-up for a team that didn’t make the Four Star Cup playoffs (that’s apparently a thing now, huh?), it’s safe to say I’m a little worried about my guy’s level of exposure for the upcoming draft.

There’s a decent chance no SHL GMs will even read this article -- and that’s OK, too. I also need money, and talking about my feelings regarding how I see myself fitting (or not fitting) into the SHL teams is also one way of making cash is a time-honored way of doing that.

Without further ado:

Trucker Talks Teams
THE WEST

Dragons CALGARY DRAGONS Dragons

Need: B+
Interest: B+
Potential: C-

TOTAL: B-

There’s nothing I don’t like about Calgary. Absolutely nothing -- they seem like a team that’d be willing and eager to take on a head-knocker defenseman like Grogan, while their top four defense at the moment are 1,000-plus goliaths, they’re old -- and they only have one S30-plus defender waiting in the eaves. It’s a team that could benefit from a slow-and-steady defensive earner which is likely what I’ll be (I’m not aiming for the 2k TPE mark, that’s for fucking sure, I’ll leave that to people more inclined). I just don’t imagine I’m really on the map for them -- I’m only at 233 TPE, and this draft-class is defenseman heavy. They have one pick in the first two rounds, it’s very high, and while I wouldn’t have originally thought it, it’s entirely possible I’m not dropping to the 3rd round. If I were, I’d say I’m an easy look for a safety pick for whomever they’ll actually take at 6OA. As it is, I doubt I’ll be wearing a Dragons jersey come draft night.

Blizzard EDMONTON BLIZZARD Blizzard

Need: B
Interest: C
Potential: C+

TOTAL: C+

Edmonton has a fuck-ton of picks upcoming this draft -- a pretty huge difference from last time I went through one of these. They’re also one of a tiny pool that’s extended a handshake of communication pre-draft (which I, again, legitimately wasn’t expecting any team to do, period). However -- their top 4 D seems pretty much on lock; they’re young at the moment, but if they keep Doro, Sorenson, and Vas active, I’d be coming into a fairly shallow defensive pool, and likely as a back-up pick, 19th at best. They’re also looking for people to guarantee a desire to stay on past their ELCs, which -- I don’t like promising to stay in locker rooms I genuinely know nothing about and have no real idea of whether or not I’ll like them. I’ve said as much to them -- and I think that’s cooled off interest in my going there on both sides. Can I guarantee I won’t go to them at 19OA? Nope, but if there’s another BPA dman, or even a comparable one, I’d guess them over me.

Panthers LOS ANGELES PANTHERS Panthers

Need: C+
Interest: B
Potential: D+

TOTAL: C

Here’s a strong team, an active as hell team, which has a slick, uniform, tight-knit presentation on the site -- it’s a really attractive place for incoming draftees based on that alone. Especially as concerned as I am about wanting to land someplace where the activity in the room will inspire me to stick around more than a drive to build the ultimate player or whatever the fuck, I’d be hype to land here. I don’t think I will though -- they have a young, active D-core. Yeah, their 1D pair is old, but they’ve got four more waiting in the wings, most of which are S30 or younger. Picking up a S34 slow builder like me wouldn’t be the worst idea for 3D if I was still on the board 3rd round, but they also kind of already have me; see: Alexsander Komarov. Could the Panthers use 13OA to pick me up? Very doubtful. They haven’t reached out to me, and I share an LR with plenty of their current players and management. If I drop to 38? Sure. I don’t think I’ll be there at 38, though.

:admirals: PORTLAND ADMIRALS :admirals:

Need: C
Interest: B+
Potential: D-

TOTAL: D+

A lot of my reasons for liking Portland are similar to the ones I listed for liking LA -- they’ve got an excellent sense of brand, really active site presence, and at one point, really seemed to make a point of trying to get younger active players on their roster. They’ve also traded away their second round pick -- I could easily be on the board at 27OA (since I think my sweet spot will be between 20-26), but even if I were and they did have that pick, I’m not sure they’d bite. In terms of their defensive outlook, again -- a lot of young, active defense, but also defensive depth. Their 1D are two relatively young, active, high TPE earners. Their 2D -- same as the first. Their might be a spot available 3D, but I also don’t see the team going for a PIMs earner built the way Trucker is, even if my checking and defensive sensibilities are up to snuff. It’s a shame, seems like a decent group of guys, even if they have a penchant for announcing their announcements.

Riot SEATTLE RIOT Riot

Need: C+
Interest: C+
Potential: B

TOTAL: B-

At a glance, Seattle as a defensive problem. Their old core is old, their mid-TPE earners appear to be almost inactive or (worse) also old, and a lot of the snatch-and-grab work they’ve done recently to grab up younger defenders will present them with a depth issue sooner rather than later. They need 500-1,000 TPE defenders that are S28-S32 and active, they don’t need fresh rookie S35 defenders. But it’s entirely possible that Seattle management disagrees with me. As for the team culture -- I only really recall what it was like to fill out the IP thread when c and GoB were active; in its current iteration, I’m not at all familiar with the team. Do I think they’ll take me? Since their second round pick falls in the range of picks I think will wind up punching my ticket, there’s a possibility by virtue of being BPA, but that’s the only thing pushing my Potential ranking up beyond C-range.

Renegades TEXAS RENEGADES Renegades

Need: C
Interest: C-

TOTAL: C

Texas is actually pretty set for defense. They have some aging core issues, but they have the depth to address it as hot defensive picks become available, provided they stop trading off their first-round picks. I think Trucker’s build would fit well with the defensive culture of Texas, but their room is kind of a mystery to me. Insular in a way that isn’t exactly inviting, but maybe I just don’t know the secret handshake -- I really couldn’t tell you. Could they take me at 25OA? Maybe, but they should probably look to a goalie if one’s still available at that spot since their higher-TPE goalie is recreating next season. I imagine their first pick will go towards securing their offensive futures.

Jets WINNIPEG JETS Jets

Need: B
Interest: A-

TOTAL: B

Again, one of the classiest, most solid group of people I’ve seen interact on the site. Other than Calgary, easily the most likable teams in the West based on player conduct and contribution alone. That’s actually incredibly attractive to me because it translates into high hopes of wanting to stay in that locker room which as I’ve mentioned is probably the biggest factor in determining where I want to go as a player. They’re also likely to be looking at defense this draft and have a proven track-record of keeping defenders that chew through PIMs and hits around for the long-haul. The problem? I’m not desirable enough -- I don’t have the site presence or the TPE to make onto their radar for 9OA, and once they take a defender at 9OA, I’m not sure they’ll double-down for 23OA. If I’m there at 23OA, though, know I’d be happy and proud to play for the Truth North if you’ll have me.

TBC with the East some time in the next two days.

Code:
Ready for grading, thanks

Hey Trucker good luck tomorrow night!

Cheers

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by vbottas17@Jun 1 2017, 11:24 AM
Hey Trucker good luck tomorrow night!

Cheers

Thanks man. Smile