Create Account

Changing colors in GIMP

IDK if anyone else has had problems with changing colors in GIMP without making everything look stupid AF, but I have. Finally found out the best way to do it.

Original image:
[Image: Pastrnak.png]

Select the area you want to change color in (for renders, typically the uniform and the logo/numbers on a helmet, and not the face) by using the Free Select tool. Doesn't have to be too precise, just make sure you're not hitting the face. Then, select Colors -> Map -> Rotate Colors.

[Image: ZeMadRl.png]

This will take you to a screen that has 2 color wheels, and they should be both set at 0 degrees to 90 degrees, with a wedge for each wheel shown. Select the area you want to change (for the render I figured this out on, it was coincidentally 0 to 90, because Boston Bruins jersey encompasses all ROY colors) and select the area you want those colors to change to (preferrably the same area value, so if you are covering 90 degrees in your initial value, your final area should encompass 90 degrees as well). This should give you the color change you so desire. There should also be a preview that lets you see real time results of what the color change will look like.

[Image: kmdJjro.png]

And that should do it! Your render should be changed colors to a new pallete!

Final result:
[Image: NP4UrW6.png]
(No, I have no reason why there is a yellow background, but I guess it reinforces the color change).

You'll also notice I did NOT do the best job selecting the area to be colored. Be careful about that on some renders, you're not given much wiggle room. If you have to choose, cut into the region you want to color, and adjust the region left out with an alpha selection color change.

Again, IDK how many people actually need this, but I thought it was helpful to share. Please tell me if I missed anything or if there's a better way to do this!