Create Account

The Legend Is Alive

New England Herald - July/31/2017 - Sports Section

<div align="center">[Image: voljpg-7017b5e8faf97b5f_large.jpg]</div>
A legend. What does it take to be turned into legend, a hall of fame career? Hardly. Multiple Challenge Cup championships? Possibly. International stage medals like gold? Couldn’t hurt. To not really speak to anyone and still have a great career by stay at home defence standards? Exactly.

It’s seems for Roman Morenov that S25 draft year was just a short time ago, but now a grizzled veteran of the SHL, in which he has spent them all with the New England Wolfpack, Morenov seems to really be coming into his own after multiple cups, and medals in international play.

If you ask a fan what they think of Roman Morenov, they will usually all give you the same response, a player that every team needs to win championships, but get those same fans to turn around and show you the name on their jersey and not one would say Morenov across the shoulders.

Morenov is not the first name that comes to mind when people talk about the Wolfpack, and that doesn’t seem to bother him all that much. The New England herald was finally able to get a response from long time Wolfpack Roman Morenov after multiple attempts made over multiple years.

“I didn’t come here to sell jerseys and hats with my name on them, I play for the logo on the front, the team that took a chance on me late in the draft, the team that stuck around during my dark days when I was battling demons inside, I always had someone there for me.”

Ask any of the Wolfpack players and you will hear the same thing said, The Legend. Although nobody has confirmed any story as to why Morenov has been dubbed this title, one thing is for sure, the players on this team would be heartbroken to see him leave especially long-time teammate since junior and line mate in New England, Jasper Clayton.

“When I was traded to Montreal back in junior it was an exciting opportunity, they were a top team battling for a Four Star Cup, and I was an added piece to help, then I met Morenov, and knew immediately he was an interesting guy, mainly because he never said a word, and to this day even though I consider him a good friend, he still talks very little, but it’s the right things, or really funny things, I think that’s maybe where the legend comes from. Honestly, we hold our breath every year his contract is due, he never really says anything, so you just don't know if this will be his last year”

We asked Morenov about his past, present, and future within the Wolfpack organization, and it was much of what we have come to expect.

“The three rings that sit at my house are some of my biggest accomplishments of my lifetime, hands down, I know my agent Mika Aalto is jealous of them, but lookout for his son, but the Russian gold is a very close second to those rings because it’s my home country, it’s a big deal. The present for me is much of what you see now, we are still in win mode, that’s why I keep signing those contracts, and it seems like the core group here like to do the same, year-by-year isn’t a bad thing, of course you like to see all these players locked in, but what can you expect. As for the future, who knows, I would love to travel and try and get another cup, but I have enough I’m just here for the ride now, helping the rookies coming in, tips of not only on the ice, but off the ice where I had my struggles, they can learn something from me for sure in that regard.”

So as it is, the legend seems to continue on for years to come if Roman has anything to do with it, and for a veteran of his status with broken bones, bruises, concussions, all the fun stuff that comes along with battling in those zones that he does, he was still in great shape and workout in regularly to stay in that fighting shape, the SHL is not a place you can sit back and relax or else you will be finding a new home in a different league.

Code:
723 Words, 1 Picture

[Image: WtrC9qy.png]

FalconsJapanpride