Create Account

S36 Championship Week

TASK ONE: You’re the coach of one of the teams in the playoffs! At least you’d like to think you are. Come up with a new set of lines for one of the teams eliminated in the playoffs, and explain why you made the choices you did. Must be at least 150 words.
The GMS of Halifax Raiders have done an excellent job in bringing the team to the playoff finals when only last season, they were dead last in the league. This is an astonishing feat by them but in my eyes there is still one way to make the team be more fit overall. If I was the GM of Raiders I will Change the first two lines a bit so that it is more complete. Here would be the following changes in terms of Lw-C-RW.
Line 1: Fletcher-Boyka-Dwyder 35 0-0-5
Line 2: Smulander-Pelletier-Downski 35 0-0-5

My reasoning behind this is that faceoffs are not as important in the smjhl for a center. As a result, I firmly believe that other attributes carry more value. Boyka Jr. did not play his primary position in Center this season. I believe that is decent passing and prowess in puck handling and skating should allow him to mesh well with his linesmates. Fletchers 80 scoring will complement Boyka Jr. passing and puckhandling skills. This would mean more points. Also Wyder would be our hit and grind player on the first line to tire the opposition’s best forwards. Our tactics for second line is that we will use Pelletier’s talent in passing to complement Smulander’s scoring. Both of these players are two extremes as Pelletier is a pure passer and Smulander is a sniper. THIs will mesh well. Downski will fill in the holes left by the two.

TASK TWO: Who is your choice for the unsung hero of the S36 playoffs up to this point? Must be at least 150 words and include at least two statistics in support.
The star and unsung hero of the playoffs is without a doubt the man, Oliver Konig himself from Prince George Firebirds. In only 11 games he was able to put up 16 points earning him the title of highest points earner. In fact, the second highest points earner was Cody Fletcher of the Halifax raiders who achieved 13 points in 13 games. Konig was able to surpass him in fewer games. The most interesting point in all of this was the fact that he was able to attain this as a defenseman. Konig has demonstrated his ability to be an offensive monster on the ice and he was one of the main reasons to take a team like the Raiders to game 7. Not only does Konig excel in the offensive department, but also does well defensively as he had the second highest blocked shots on his team at 16. He will definitely be a defensive weapon to watch out for next season.

TASK THREE: Who has the edge, New England or Texas? What (or who) will be the biggest factor for one team to triumph over the other? Must be at least 150 words.
In terms of experience, the New England Wolfpack have the edge. They have a rich history of making the playoffs on a consistent basis and have also won many cups. They also have a very good chance at walking off with the cup this season but it is equally important to analyze the Renegods. Texas has been on a crazy run this season especially after sweeping the highly touted Calgary dragons. This may very well be their season to claim the throne they once used to hold. The main duo to watch out for in this playoff is Durden-Allen, as they have been on an absolute tear. These two are like the Sedin brothers of SHL as they mesh so well with one another and have been benefiting greatly on the first line. From the wolfpack, the two we must look at are Silverwing and Bure. Both surprisingly play on the second line and have done wonders for the team. In my opinion, the edge goes to Allen and Durden.

[Image: 6c148GU.png]
[Image: 1JDgYfw.png]