Create Account

Town Hall: Self-hosting a new forum

Quote:Originally posted by Steelhead77@Jan 29 2018, 09:41 AM
Some people have drop down sigs on SBA, so it seems like maybe it's possible. That's definitely something I would like to see us keep if we can. I'll try and find out how they did it.

Edit: <a href='index.php?showuser=1344' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Lunaro</a> has a drop down sig in SBA, maybe he can tell us how he did it, or try it the same way in the demo forum.

It's just a <select> with <options> for each row

[Image: 35513_s.gif]
Sigs by Kit, Maxy, Mook, LazyEye, Wasty, Ragnar, Bushito, Frank, 701, Pandar

Player Page | Update Thread
[Image: 263vaqs.png][Image: 8x07c6.png][Image: 2ut59pt.png][Image: s6rdXyK.png]

Quote:Originally posted by Symmetrik@Jan 30 2018, 11:55 AM

Wtf lol

People hate efficiency I guess? I don't even know what you mean by "that stuff". Hated making embedding easier, not needing bb code, etc?

[Image: Y1HkaCg.jpg] this is how i like to look at all my pictures

what's the point in switching if we're just gonna turn off all the stuff that actually makes the forums better.
It's not efficiency if you have to spend triple the time trying to undo all the things that CKEditor is doing on your behalf that you don't want it to do.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by Avakael@Jan 29 2018, 10:11 PM

It's not efficiency if you have to spend triple the time trying to undo all the things that CKEditor is doing on your behalf that you don't want it to do.

Trust me, I've used these forums extensively. I can't think of a single scenario where this not faster or the same time as what we have now.

Or I guess more what I mean, where it does something you don't want to do. Embed an image, save unposted text, paste formatted text, select and quote. All a million times better and more convenient than the alternative.

[Image: symmetrik.gif]

Prince George Firebirds GM (S34-S36)
Toronto North Stars GM (S37-S43)
[Image: XtyrY3M.png]

As someone new to the current forum, I like the looks of this new one a lot more.

Quote:Originally posted by Symmetrik@Jan 30 2018, 01:52 PM

Trust me, I've used these forums extensively. I can't think of a single scenario where this not faster or the same time as what we have now.

Or I guess more what I mean, where it does something you don't want to do. Embed an image, save unposted text, paste formatted text, select and quote. All a million times better and more convenient than the alternative.
Then go scream at Esa, not me, because we already had this particular discussion in this thread.

Quote:Originally posted by Avakael@Jan 29 2018, 10:57 PM

Then go scream at Esa, not me, because we already had this particular discussion in this thread.

I mean, that's just 1 person who apparently doesn't want to get with the times. I read it. He also happens to have a poorly formatted messy update thread without named links. It looks messy as fuck whichever way you do it, in the jcink or the updated forums. At least in the updater forum just pasting the link in with the preview saves updaters a click since you can see their reply to the thread.

This is an example of an EFL update thread like that
This is an example of an SHL update thread like that

This is an example of an EFL update thread nicely formatted
This is an example of an SHL update thread nicely formatted

The poorly formatted SHL one is a mess. The poorly formatted EFL one is not bad, still readable and saves clicks. The nicely formatted EFL one is readable, the links are named so you know what they are, and, advantageous to the user, copy+paste keeps the same formatting (bold, italics, etc) for the next update. The SHL update thread is pretty similar to EFL in terms of readability, but there's the disadvantage of having to go and edit the last update post to grab any formatting before going back and pasting it in the new post.

It makes literally no change to those who don't format updates, and makes it way smoother for those that do. No downside to having it on.

That doesn't even take into account how drastically easier it is to embed images in the newer forums. Literally copy+paste the link. No clicks.

Quote:Originally posted by Symmetrik@Jan 30 2018, 03:22 PM

I mean, that's just 1 person who apparently doesn't want to get with the times. I read it. He also happens to have a poorly formatted messy update thread without named links. It looks messy as fuck whichever way you do it, in the jcink or the updated forums. At least in the updater forum just pasting the link in with the preview saves updaters a click since you can see their reply to the thread.

This is an example of an EFL update thread like that
This is an example of an SHL update thread like that

This is an example of an EFL update thread nicely formatted
This is an example of an SHL update thread nicely formatted

The poorly formatted SHL one is a mess. The poorly formatted EFL one is not bad, still readable and saves clicks. The nicely formatted EFL one is readable, the links are named so you know what they are, and, advantageous to the user, copy+paste keeps the same formatting (bold, italics, etc) for the next update. The SHL update thread is pretty similar to EFL in terms of readability, but there's the disadvantage of having to go and edit the last update post to grab any formatting before going back and pasting it in the new post.

It makes literally no change to those who don't format updates, and makes it way smoother for those that do. No downside to having it on.

That doesn't even take into account how drastically easier it is to embed images in the newer forums. Literally copy+paste the link. No clicks.
If the forums allowed users to set their own preferences on whether or not they wanted to automatically generate previews and transfer formatting when they copy and paste shit around, I would just direct them to that. But I don't. So if the judgement call is up to me, I'm going to have it switched off. Again, you should be taking most of the content of your post up with Esa, not me.

What about the new site SHL was working on before?!

Quote:Originally posted by Avakael@Jan 30 2018, 12:11 AM

If the forums allowed users to set their own preferences on whether or not they wanted to automatically generate previews and transfer formatting when they copy and paste shit around, I would just direct them to that. But I don't. So if the judgement call is up to me, I'm going to have it switched off. Again, you should be taking most of the content of your post up with Esa, not me.

I mean I'm taking it up with you for exactly the reasons you said - you'd turn it off if it was up to you, and you did.

Nothing has to change for those who don't like change. All it does is inconvenience people who actually try to make it easier on updaters.

Turning that setting off literally makes it worse than jcink. I can't even use bbCode just while typing, I have to actually click and select and change everything.

You've switched it off at the behest of 1 person, for having 1 opinion, because it was the only one? I dunno. I don't really understand why you've taken that stance.

lazy update posts look lazy Hmm

[Image: wopo0De.png]
Signature Credit: Wasty

Quote:Originally posted by Symmetrik@Jan 30 2018, 03:55 PM

I mean I'm taking it up with you for exactly the reasons you said - you'd turn it off if it was up to you, and you did.

Nothing has to change for those who don't like change. All it does is inconvenience people who actually try to make it easier on updaters.

Turning that setting off literally makes it worse than jcink. I can't even use bbCode just while typing, I have to actually click and select and change everything.

You've switched it off at the behest of 1 person, for having 1 opinion, because it was the only one? I dunno. I don't really understand why you've taken that stance.
A; For the last time, let me spell this out to you, using plenty of fancy bbCode to emphasise what you are missing.

If you want to have an argument on whether or not it's better to have that shit on or not, argue with Esa. I see one person with a strong opinion one way and one person with a strong opinion the other way. Nobody else has expressed an opinion about these details. Nobody. My personal preference is to have that stuff off, as I find myself undoing all of that autocompletion work 99% of the time, but unlike you, I'm aware that I'm one person, and the final decision will not be up to me. This forum is for messing around to try and see what we can and can't do with it, and will be automatically deleted by Invision Power Services in a few days when the trial period ends. If you want to have a lengthy argument about this, go and argue with the one person with the strong opinion the other way, not with me. If you keep trying to argue this point with me instead of the person with the strong opinion the other way, I am going to get pissed off with you.

B; You absolutely can use bbCode while typing on the new system, and I know this because I have already tested it myself. This feature remains in CKEditor and I have not found a setting on the IPB ACP that affects this.

I also hate the auto url stuff. I don't mind it for images though.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

I no longer think the SHL is mature enough for a new site. Maybe we need to downgrade back to Invisionfree.

[Image: wopo0De.png]
Signature Credit: Wasty

Quote:Originally posted by Allegiant@Jan 30 2018, 07:32 PM
I no longer think the SHL is mature enough for a new site. Maybe we need to downgrade back to Invisionfree.
InvisionFree is dead, it's been eaten by Tapatalk. All InvisionFree boards were recently converted to generic Tapatalk format.