Create Account

Remembering Ales Smirnov

Let's remember a player really special to not just West Kendall, but to me.

<a href='index.php?showuser=1484' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-59'>Ohtaay</a>'s player, Ales Smirnov, has been a house hold name for the Florida hockey team for 17 seasons.

Striking Gold on Draft Day

When Ohtaay joined this world, I didn't know the first thing about him. I had no clue what SMJHL team he was on, how involved he was in the site, or even if he was active at all. When I got to do my first SHL draft I thought I had a clear plan: Draft HFFO like I as told and then find the next best player in the second round. I can safely say I did neither of of those.

We had the late first round pick in the Season 22 draft, and I was suddenly getting pressure within to pick this other guy. Seriously doubtful, but the flood of support waved over me and I picked Ales Smirnov. We'll skip over the part about the second rounder, but I was super worried Syckez would be upset about the Ohtaay pick.

Here was the total scouting I had on Ohtaay at the time. Keep in mind we had much more information about almost every other prospect:

Quote:Originally posted by ricebutt
Ales Smirnov (Ohtaay)
This guy is pretty good in the rookie LR, so I think he could be a good fit on our team.
But it ended up being one of the best picks <s>I've</s> we've ever made.

SHL Influence

Right away Ohtaay had started helping not just our team but almost everyone he was in contact with. Here's a few excerpts from just a few PM's in the past.

Quote:Ohtaay, also, has been a huge help to me since I started. He has consistently reached out to me with advice and guidance.
Quote:BTW, If you're looking for a co-GM, you'd be crazy to bypass Ohtaay. That guy is awesome.
Quote:Ohtaay seems like the type that even if you picked someone else, he'd continue to try just as hard to help the team. Character matters to me and you guys have demonstrated a ton of it along the way.
Quote:...Plus Ohtaay has a cute ass you can squeeze if you're bored.
Quote:Ohtaay has been my guy since day one.
Quote:hey no pressure but if ohtaay doesn't get to be kelowna gm THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY.
Quote:You and Ohtaay are awesome, and you guys have a great team of great people.
Everybody wanted a piece of Oats.

The Deets

Code:
Games Played : &nbsp;857
Goals &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;: &nbsp;210
Assists &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;: &nbsp;389
Points &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; : &nbsp;599
+- &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; : &nbsp; 49
PM &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; : &nbsp;500
Hits &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; : 1014
Shots Blocked: &nbsp;410

Some other hard to see stats include:
  • Never really being a fighter except in 26 when he dropped the gloves five times.
  • Only really playing center full time one season. Not much of a faceoff man
  • During his prime he would outhit other players with ease, but in the beginning and end of his career he'd get the body more than he would dish it.
  • In his prime, for about 11 seasons he'd be a major contributor to the power play bring in around 10 points. 134 points total.
He wasn't known for being the top player in the league, but instead he was all about consistency and teamplay. He would drop back down to defense when necessary sacrificing points for wins. His dedication is hard to showcase, but he did manage to make the all star rookie team in s23 and the first team in s35.

Though he only won one league award, and even though it was with the smelly Wolfpack, he went out with a bang winning the league MVP award in S35. He would also be nominated for the Jesster in S23.

However, we did win two GM awards together. And I believe it was mostly due to Ohtaays persistance and constant questioning of my actions that lead West Kendall to two finals appearances. He became such a great source of collaboration that I knew whatever idea I had he would be like "No, bojo" and then make it even better. I couldn't even be mad because he was always right.

Placlusion

Ales Smirnov has been one of the most loyal and dedicated people on this site. Even when he helped my as coGM I feel like he always flew under the radar.

His player wasn't one looking for Glory, but success. While we never won a cup together, and he had some great chances outside of WKP, I still consider his career a very successful one for helping me bring West Kendall back to the higher standards it used to have.
People like Ohtaay are hard to come by, and nobody has been more appreciative of that then me. (I even typed all this out and he knows how much I hate typing articles)

To my good pal, Ohtaay, and his star player Smirnov. Cheers

Platoon

Link to Ohtaay being drafted to WKP (also my first ever draft pick)
http://theshl.jcink.net/index.php?showtopi...dpost&p=1178073

Highest Point of TPE: 1619
http://theshl.jcink.net/index.php?showtopi...dpost&p=2083681

Retirement thread
http://theshl.jcink.net/index.php?showtopic=84156

[Image: 0MXFV8Q.gif]

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

[Image: 980x.gif]

Well written Beauj. Well well written. Ohtaay been great on and off ice. Though seeing 1 point away from 600 points still bugs me.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote:Originally posted by XLeafer@Jan 27 2018, 10:38 AM
[Image: 980x.gif]

[Image: GlWHDdA.gif]

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Oats is one of the greatest people I have met on here. He is just a nice guy, humble, smart and not afraid to work hard. Always looking to help others and always willing to sacrifice his own goals for team success, there are few like him.

Cheers

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

This was a really nice read, evil birds or not, this is a top notch post. <3 Oats

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Ales! Great career Smile

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

Much love Oats

Quote:Originally posted by Beaujeaux@Jan 27 2018, 10:40 AM

[Image: GlWHDdA.gif]
[Image: sSIBW6V.gif]

Great post Bojo.

We can already tell that we knocked it out of the park in Calgary by getting him.

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

Classy post Bojo Cheers

[Image: Crossfit.gif]

[Image: CFJ1.gif]

Thanks to prettyburn, TML, Carpy, JNH, Jepox, Engi, Karey, Flappy, Skolpadder, Mook, DollarAndADream, Smirnov and Toe for the sigs.

Code:
Crossfit's First Career SHL Goal, 4. Manhattan Rage , Crossfit Jesus 1 (Pedro Sarantez, Nucky Toohoots) at 5:51

Code:
Devitt's First Career SHL Goal, 5. Calgary Dragons , Prince Devitt 1 (Barry Batsbak 21, Mike Izzy 14) at 10:43

It was such a pleasure to have you on the team. Platoon legend

Platoon Russia Knights

[Image: Oqsvuu4.png]
FranceCitadellesPanthersScarecrowsCitadellesPanthersScarecrowsCitadellesPanthersFrance

I honestly don't know how to reply. You blew me away with this <a href='index.php?showuser=1157' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-13'>Beaujeaux</a> .

It is safe to say West Kendall has been pretty much all Ive known on this website, and I was glad I was able to go through the ups and downs with the team.
You give me a lot of praise in this article, but it should be given back to you. I was lucky to be drafted to WKP, and meet all the people I was able to throughout my years. So cheers to you.

I wanna know who posted this..
Quote:...Plus Ohtaay has a cute ass you can squeeze if you're bored.

Also still one of the best sigs ive had on this site.

Cheers

[Image: Oats.gif]

Player Page | Player Update
[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]

Great write up Bojo, love seeing things like this honoring a player and member's impact in an organization.

Cheers

We promise to take good care of Ohtaay in Calgary and he will always be appreciated. His impact is already benefiting the team.

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite

Calgary is already seeing all of this....

Cheers

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

<a href='index.php?showuser=1157' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-13'>Beaujeaux</a> whenever you wanna repay me for that insightful scouting report on Oats, I'll be ready to accept

Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Please take care of it. Here are some helpful links just in case.

Algonquin College Student Support Services - 613-727-4723
Crisis Text Line - Text 'HOME' to 741741
Distress Centre Ottawa and Region - 613-288-3311
Good2Talk - 1-866-925-5454
Kid's Help Phone - 1-800-668-6868
Mental Health Hotline Ontario - 1-866-531-2600
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255

Click here for a list of crisis centres within Canada
Suicide Prevention Resource Centre
Suicide Awareness Voices of Education

If you have the contact info to your local mental help centres, let me know!

--------------------
[Image: 34987_s.gif]
Player Page | Updates

[Image: 8y3FJne.jpg][Image: kA0CbGn.png][Image: aGT9Qsn.png]