Create Account

5 up, 5 down s39, 19 games in

<div align="center">[Image: NW58eLz.png]

I used to do the odd one of these a while back and thought it would fun to bring back for S39. Typically done at the quarter pole or halfway mark I decided to go at the 1/3 mark (roughly 18-19 games per team). Largely standings based, I also highlight some interesting trends and/or player performances. </div>

1up – Flying High
Going in to the season I think we were all well aware the Winnipeg Jets were the real deal and were more than likely to perform well in season 39, but what they’ve done through 19 games is nothing short of brilliant. Sitting atop the western conference with a record of 17-2-0 they are 10 points clear of the 2nd overall Dragons, and 11 points clear of the eastern conference leader, the Minnesota Chiefs. What’s interesting this time around is that the success is much more by committee than just a few names as their top producer sits in 8th in league wide scoring, whereas last season we saw 4 Jets in the top 10 by season’s end, including Evans and Bearss at 1 and 2 respectively. The sophomore netminder Zhumbayev is no slouch either, sitting top 3 in wins, save percentage and goals against average league wide. I don’t think this plane is crashing anytime soon.

1up – Roll Pride
Whereas the previous team mentioned received unanimous love in the season predictions, the Pride received little. In fact many, myself included, thought they’d plummet as far as draft lotto seed. Well 19 games in and the San Francisco Pride sit [somewhat] comfortably in a playoff position. 5-5 in their last 10 they are in a bit of a slump after a hot start, but this team is no pushover and is once again primed to prove their pundits wrong. If Kirkstone can find some of that magic that earned him MVP honors last season this team can easily challenge for that number 2 spot in the west. The top spot might be a little out of reach though.

1up – Toronto North Studs
The “rebuilding” Toronto Northstars are changing the game in season 39. Providing a whole new meaning to the term “addition by subtraction” the Northstars management is getting the very best out of a limited roster and is currently tied for the eastern conference lead. While it should be interesting to see if this can be maintained over the course of their remaining 31 games, there is no denying the electrifying chemistry that is Toronto’s top line of York, Lindstrom and Eriksson. After 19 games the three have combined for over 70 points, and currently sit 1st, 3rd and 6th in league wide scoring respectively. It falls off pretty quickly after that, but if those three can continue to dominate the league at this rate it wouldn’t be a stretch to see them hold their spot by season’s end.

1up – The Magnificent Mr. Metzler
Another rebuilding squad refusing to go “full Seattle” the Stampede find themselves in the 4th and final playoff position after 19 games. After a hot start they’ve certainly cooled off quite a bit and will likely find themselves near the bottom by season’s end, but not if Alexis Metzler has anything to say about it. The veteran blueliner has been tearing up the league since day 1, currently sitting 5th overall in league scoring and more importantly 1st overall in defensive scoring. Much like the Stampede he has slowed [a bit] opening up the Steven’s discussion to the likes of Jet’s defenseman Max Weber and Hamilton’s Adam Kaiser, but as it stands right now Metzler is still firmly the favorite to win the illustrious prize of defenseman of the year.

1up – Gamebreakers
I hate to double dip, but this stat was just too juicy. After 19 games the league lead for game winning goals is tied between Pietra Volkova and Jason Visser. In case you didn’t know both of those names suit up for the league leading Winnipeg Jets. I could spout some more hype about the Jets, but I feel this stat is impressive enough on its own. On to the zeros.
 
1down – Raging out
After a storybook finish that saw the Manhattan Rage go all the way and secure a Challenge Cup in S38, they been struggling ever since. A series of off-season losses to free agency and retirement were somewhat patched by nifty trades, but their record through 19 games would suggest otherwise. Once a playoff team, the Rage have plummeted to last place in the league with a 6-12-1 record. Fortunately for Rage fans and players alike it’s still early in the season, but with a goal differential of -24 it’s difficult to find a silver lining for the reigning champs so far.

1down – Sophomore Slump
After a good rookie showing in S38, several names have taken a step back or at the very least failed to build on their rookie campaign. Through 18-19 apiece 7 of the top 10 rookie producers in S38 are on pace to match or fall short of their point total in S38. The most notable of which has to be last season’s rookie points leader Tigole Bitties. The Blizzard winger is currently on pace to finish with 14 points, 20 less than his rookie showing. Other names include Tor Tuck (on pace for 17, 21 in S38), Vijanupatan Singh (11, 16) and Maurizio Arrivabene (8, 14). On the flip side Roman Augustus could be a prime candidate for breakout player of year. Currently on pace for a 34 point season, that’s almost double what he produced in S38 (18).

1down – Flatoon
A tough team to peg every year when it comes to seasonal predictions the West Kendall Platoon are once again off to a peculiar start. Through 19 games they are 8-8-3 and sit 6th in the east. Their goal differential sits at +1 (67 goals for and 66 against). 4-4-3 in their last 10 they really don’t seem to show any sign of pushing through the grid lock that is the eastern conference standings, but at the same time they’ve done enough to remain competitive after 19 games. They have talent, but can they execute? The remaining 31 games will decide if this group can slip in to a playoff seed or remain on the outside looking in.

1down – Bubblebound
Much like the Platoon out east, the Los Angeles Panthers find themselves in a familiar situation. Through 19 games their record stands at 7-11-1, 4 points back of the 4th and final playoff spot currently held by the Edmonton Blizzard. As I highlighted earlier this season in my less than bold predictions the Panthers have managed to finish 5th overall in the west 3 years in a row now, as well as finish 5th in the S39 pre-season. At this rate a very familiar outcome is looming for the OG California cats.

1down – Less than Special Teams
While special teams don’t exclusively determine success, a strong power play and penalty kill can be crucial to a team’s long term success over the course of a 50 game season. You’d be surprised to hear then that the two teams with the worst power play conversion percentage are in fact the same two teams leading the western conference through 19 games, the Winnipeg Jets and Calgary Dragons. What’s worse, the latter team also has the 4th worst penalty kill. When combining the two percentages (PP+PK) the bottom 7 ranks are home to 5 teams currently sitting in a playoff position.

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

:jarts:

i like dis, good stuff brother karl

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

Good stuff, fellow brother of the Nights Watch! Cheers

[Image: giphy.gif]
[pbhfx]

[/pbhfx]
ShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUkShlBattlebornUk
Player Page || Update Page

Frig u

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

Good stuff.

[Image: Crossfit.gif]

[Image: CFJ1.gif]

Thanks to prettyburn, TML, Carpy, JNH, Jepox, Engi, Karey, Flappy, Skolpadder, Mook, DollarAndADream, Smirnov and Toe for the sigs.

Code:
Crossfit's First Career SHL Goal, 4. Manhattan Rage , Crossfit Jesus 1 (Pedro Sarantez, Nucky Toohoots) at 5:51

Code:
Devitt's First Career SHL Goal, 5. Calgary Dragons , Prince Devitt 1 (Barry Batsbak 21, Mike Izzy 14) at 10:43

nice work.... not enough in season articles.. these are fun to read.

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Great article

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

Interesting stuff, nicely done. We need more articles like this.

Jack Tanner (D) - [Player Page] [Player Updates]

[Image: mH3z832.png]

[Image: Beaver.gif]
One sig is tweed's and the other was a karlssens/Copenhagen collab

AC | Bank | Claims

thanks fellas, someone remind me to do you at the 40 game mark.

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

I dig it! Going to be doing a midseason article soon. Liked that you went outside the standings to talk about some lesser known players.

#GOJETSGO
[Image: pQ2EKtU.png]
S32 SHL Draft No. 1 Overall

[Image: SHLEmoteJets.png]
Max Weber || D#39 || Portland Admirals/Winnipeg Jets ||