Create Account

S39 Championship Week

Quote:How has your player kicked off their offseason? Are they traveling? Meeting up with friends and partying? Following the games? Write at least 150 words about the beginning of your player’s offseason. Must include at least one other player.

Phelps was bitter about the early exit from the playoffs at the hands of the dastardly New England Pony Pack. He immediately packed his training gear and shipped off to northern Canada where he is doing intensive skating and cold temperature training that is intended to improve his speed and agility. He plans to keep up this training regiment until the start of the IIHF tournament where he is expecting to play as the first line center for Team Canada. Phelps generally enjoys a more relaxed off-season than this but when you get beat just when you felt like your team was going to break through, it can affect you and make you push yourself to levels that you never really tried to get to before. Between the training and IIHF tournament Phelps is hoping to come back into the S40 season with a purpose and to get his team deep in the playoffs.

Quote:TASK TWO: Who is your choice for the unsung hero of the S39 playoffs up to this point? Must be at least 150 words and include at least two statistics in support.

Matthew Leetch would be my choice for unsung hero of the playoffs. He was the top scoring defender on the panthers with a total of 14 points, but that's not all, he was extremely solid on the back-end for LA, keeping them in this playoffs all the way to the finals. His +/- rating of 7 on a team that mostly had even or negative +/- shows just how great he was on the back end. I firmly believe that without Leetch we would not have seen the panthers make the finals, or even get close to it. His 22 shot blocks were tied for 2nd highest on the team. So not only was he contributing in scoring and moving the puck up to scorers but he was back in time to block shots when needed, sacrificing his body to help the team. Leetch's time on the powerplay and penalty kill were among the highest on the team too, and he definitely made good use of the time helping his team along to the finals.

Quote:TASK FOUR: Unscramble the names of these four players who will be competing in the Challenge Cup Finals. Send the answers to me by PM. Please make the subject of the message “CW Word Scramble” or something along those lines. [Grading: 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer]

waxiaamrinmhceilt

eilrruasstgeglnht

thcaenmhnigscneru   

nalzgaoaronzbo
PM Sent

Quote:TASK SIX: Finals series always show surprises. Who will have to stand out the most from each team in order to win it? Make a prediction for potential series MVPs. Must be at least 150 words and mention at least one player from each team.

Truth be told I never would have predicted that L.A. would make it to the finals, actually when I look back at my predictions it looks like I had them missing the playoffs entirely. For them to win the cup this season they would need stand out performances from most of the team, but most notably their boyfriend girlfriend pair in Matthew Auston and Sophia Bennett. These two are great scorers and can make a hell of a combo on the first line for LA. If they can step up and get the goals consistently the panthers should stand a chance. On the other side of the coin Minny doesn't really need specific players to contribute above others, they just need consistent play from all their high end players ranging up and down their lineup. If they can get a half decent performance out of Foster and everyone else they should win it.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

TASK ONE: There are two options for this task.
If you are a player in the Challenge/Four Star Cup: How is your player feeling for the Finals? Are they nervous or excited? Are they ready? Write at least 150 words about the few days before the beginning of the Finals for your player and how they prepared for the series.

I'm feeling a whole range of emotions right now. Nervous, Excited, anxious, determined, confident... That doesn't even begin to name it all. This is everything I've been in this league for, the Challenge Cup. Fourteen SHL seasons, a few McDonalds, Karpotsovs, a Sarmad Khan, a President's Trophy, 19th all time in scoring and still going strong... and, finally, finally my team is in the finals and just four wins away from taking home the ultimate prize. Ultimately, though, I am confident that we can do this, confident that my teammates will pull through. This is a special group and one that is so hungry for a cup. I mean, look at Garbanzo... 19 seasons in the league, all in Minnesota, and he is finally getting his first shot at a cup. Pedro Sarantez, drafted by the Chiefs ages ago, returning to his first team to win it all. I could go on and on. But what I do know is that we will give it absolutely everything we've got and that we will be the hardest working AND most talented team in this finals. And we will win.

TASK TWO: Who is your choice for the unsung hero of the S39 playoffs up to this point? Must be at least 150 words and include at least two statistics in support.

My unsung hero of the playoffs would have to be Chiefs third line center Eric Pelletier. This is a guy who may not get the most playing time, getting around 14 minutes per game, but he has done well all season and playoffs when it mattered most. His success in the faceoff dot has been great, winning more than 54% of his faceoffs - a very underrated statistic in the SHL as faceoff wins mean higher time of possession. He's often been the glue holding that third line together as the primary playmaker and a guy who seems to always show up in big moments. His two points in the Challenge Cup clinching Game Six of the finals displayed just how clutch he can be as he was even named the first star of the game for his performance and he even got into a fight during the post-season. While his point totals are not as high as guys like Nova or Flacko as he only scored six in the playoffs, he is not a hard hitter, not even the best faceoffman for his team, and certainly not the most developed player yet, he fills his third line role beautifully and displays flashes of talent that indicate he is poised to breakout soon.

TASK FOUR: Unscramble the names of these four players who will be competing in the Challenge Cup Finals. Send the answers to me by PM. Please make the subject of the message “CW Word Scramble” or something along those lines. [Grading: 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer]
waxiaamrinmhceilt
eilrruasstgeglnht
thcaenmhnigscneru
nalzgaoaronzbo

PM Sent

TASK SIX: Finals series always show surprises. Who will have to stand out the most from each team in order to win it? Make a prediction for potential series MVPs. Must be at least 150 words and mention at least one player from each team.

For the Panthers, this one is quite obvious. They have been relying on otherworldly play from Timo Haas and will need that against a team that has actually been even more dominant throughout these playoffs in the Minnesota Chiefs. If he continues to play at, or even close to his current level of play, the Panthers will have every opportunity in the world to win the cup.

For the Chiefs, the key will be to overcome the Panthers' dominant goaltending by exploiting a rather thin defense. The Chiefs have a very well-rounded team and have displayed that so far in the playoffs, winning games in every fashion, from shutdown defense to an overpowering offensive attack, dominant goaltending to grinding, physical play. Thus, the key for the Chiefs will be their jack of all trades in Sebastian Strange - a guy who is dominant in the faceoff dot, a highly physical forward, and the Chiefs' leading scorer in each of his three seasons with the team. If he can continue to play such a strong, complete game and put pressure on the Panthers' defense and, in the process, Timo Haas, the Chiefs will have a good chance at coming out on top.

Bonus: Terrance Nova

[Image: Marius_buffalo.png]

08-24-2018, 01:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Ah yes, the veteran meme player. A surefire bet for maybe 400 TPE Tongue
05-23-2020, 02:25 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Scoop AINEC
[Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif]

[Image: Poppity.png]
^^^^^ Thank you JSSSSS
[Image: Poopity_Scoop_1.png]
^^^^Credits to Snussu^^^^

[Image: Scoop.png]

Will finish later

Quote:TASK ONE: How is your player feeling for the Finals? Are they nervous or excited? Are they ready? Write at least 150 words about the few days before the beginning of the Finals for your player and how they prepared for the series.

It might sound strange to many, but Maurice Picard's finals preparation was primarily focused on relaxation. "I have a pre-game ritual," he explains. "I sort of meditate before every game. Visualise myself doing good things, making plays. Things like that." In preparation for the Challenge Cup finals, Picard took it a step further, and reconnected with his old teammates in Prince George. "It was a familiarity thing," he elaborates. "I'd been through the stress of a finals series with those guys before, so I kind of wanted a familiar experience to just settle my nerves a bit."

And so it was. A night of jokes and games with his "spicy chicken bruddas" before the biggest series of his professional career so far. It will be interesting to see whether it pays off. If it doesn't, he might want to hide the details of his preparations from the Panthers' GMs -- and his teammates, for that matter.

(155 words)

Quote:TASK TWO: Who is your choice for the unsung hero of the S39 playoffs up to this point? Must be at least 150 words and include at least two statistics in support.

The unsung hero of the playoffs, in my view, has to be Danny Foster. Until now, Foster would probably have been characterised by most as a goon, a guy who does the dirty work on the ice so his teammates don't have to. A reputation which, in fairness, is well earned. However, during the playoffs, Foster has been the highest scoring defenseman on the Panthers roster, despite racking up double the penalty minutes -- twenty-four, to be precise -- of the second least disciplined player on the team (Jean-Luc Reflieux, with twelve), which is testament to his contribution.

Foster's scoring rate is approaching 1 point every twenty minutes of on-ice play, bettered only by Reflieux and the Panthers' leading playoff scorer, Sophia Bennett. For all his efforts, however, Foster doesn't seem to be getting the recognition he deserves, with just one appearance in the three stars list of any playoff game. How?

(150 words)

Quote:TASK FOUR: Unscramble the names of these four players who will be competing in the Challenge Cup Finals.
Send the answers to me by PM. Please make the subject of the message “CW Word Scramble” or something along those lines. [Grading: 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer]

Done

Quote:TASK SIX: Finals series always show surprises. Who will have to stand out the most from each team in order to win it? Make a prediction for potential series MVPs. Must be at least 150 words and mention at least one player from each team.

Quote:Bonus question: Who scores the Cup-winning goal?
Sophia Bennett

UpdatesPlayer Page
The Journey

6,000 mile road#DidItForDildo1,700 miles more
A Silver Road

Drought Ender, Curse Breaker, Firebird

TASK ONE

If not: How has your player kicked off their offseason? Are they traveling? Meeting up with friends and partying? Following the games? Write at least 150 words about the beginning of your player’s offseason. Must include at least one other player.

After we were eliminated from playoff contention on the final say of the regular season, I headed back home to St. Louis with my girlfriend. Tiana and I still have a home in St. Louis, so we’re staying there until the Four Star Cup Finals are over. After flying back, I met up with Tigole Bitties, Teddy Cuddles, and Roman Augustus (all of us were drafted in the same class). This was something we said we would do if the Scarecrows made it to the Four Star Cup, and they were on the verge of it when we got tickets for Game 7. We went crazy when Joakim Lindqvist, a fellow classmate and former teammate of ours, scored to make it 3-1 in the second. Even though Prince George pulled one back in the third, it wasn’t enough for them. St. Louis had made it to the Four Star Cup Finals, something we couldn’t manage during our SMJHL careers. It was a great sight to see, and I’m going to watch every game in the Four Star Cup Finals in the hope that we win the cup.

TASK TWO: Who is your choice for the unsung hero of the S39 playoffs up to this point? Must be at least 150 words and include at least two statistics in support.

I’d say the unsung hero of the playoffs up to this point is Finnish defenseman Eero Hämäläinen of the Minnesota Chiefs. Hämäläinen has 7 points in 8 games, which means he’s averaging almost a point per game. Eero also has the best shooting percentage on the team with 30.00%. He’s scored 3 goals on 10 shots so far in the postseason, which is pretty good from a defenseman. Another thing about Eero is that he’s a young player. He created in S33, which means he has another 5 seasons until regression. Hämäläinen is only going to get better, and this could be a breakout playoffs for the young Finn. The most impressive thing about his stats, though, is that he’s been playing on the THIRD PAIRING. Minnesota has such a stacked defensive corps, and it shows here, with one of their third pairing defensemen in Hämäläinen kicking ass in the postseason. In closing, Hämäläinen has been the unsung hero of the playoffs so far, and we should expect much more from the young Finnish defenseman in the imminent future.

TASK SIX: Finals series always show surprises. Who will have to stand out the most from each team in order to win it? Make a prediction for potential series MVPs. Must be at least 150 words and mention at least one player from each team.

Minnesota’s MVP candidate has to be Terrance Nova. Nova currently leads the Chiefs in playoff scoring with 12 points in 8 games. He’s averaging 1.5 points per game, which is very good. He’s also shooting well (a 13.79% shooting percentage) and is on the ice at the right time (plus-minus of +1). But Terry isn’t just a great shooter. He’s a great passer as well, and he has 8 assists (averaging one per game), tied for second-most in the playoffs. However, Los Angeles has an arguably better MVP candidate in Sophia Bennett. She has 13 points in 8 games, the most on the Panthers. She leads all right wings in playoff scoring (Nova is one point behind). Bennett has scored 7 goals (averaging almost one a game), the most in the playoffs so far. She’s also been shooting well, and has a shooting percentage of 17.07%, which is WAY better than Nova. Plus, Bennett has a plus-minus of +8, which is much better than Nova’s plus-minus. I think that Bennett will take the playoff MVP award, as she’s been performing better than Nova in almost every stat.

Bonus Task: Maximilian Wachter

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

TASK ONE: If you are a player in the Challenge/Four Star Cup: How is your player feeling for the Finals? Are they nervous or excited? Are they ready? Write at least 150 words about the few days before the beginning of the Finals for your player and how they prepared for the series.
This is my first time playing in the finals, so I'm definitely a bit nervous. It's also the first time the franchise has made it this far in fifteen seasons, so I think we're all a bit nervous and we all feel the weight of that on our shoulders. Minnesota is a great team and they're going to be tough to beat for sure, but I have confidence in our guys to get the job done. Our offense has been stepping up when we need them, our defense has been good as limiting chances for the most part, and our goaltending has been consistently good. So it'll be a challenge, but I believe in us and I know the city of Los Angeles is behind us, management is behind us, and the fans are behind us, and that's going to give us a lot of momentum going into this series. Let's go Panthers!!
Code:

TASK THREE: Create a championship graphic featuring the matchup of the Finals. Must include both team names, both team logos, a representation of S39, and one additional recognition of each team (team colors, a render, etc.)

TASK FOUR: Unscramble the names of these four players who will be competing in the Challenge Cup Finals. Send the answers to me by PM. Please make the subject of the message “CW Word Scramble” or something along those lines. [Grading: 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer]
waxiaamrinmhceilt
eilrruasstgeglnht
thcaenmhnigscneru
nalzgaoaronzbo

DONE

TASK SEVEN: Come up with a playoff-related slogan and design an advertising banner outside of one of the host arenas for the finals. Aside from the slogan, must include the team logo of the city where this would be displayed, as well as some representation of the team itself (for example, in the image given, the bear on the side).

Bonus question: Who scores the Cup-winning goal?
Jean-Luc Reflieux

[Image: cWxBbhu.png]
Sig by Wasty and Copenhagen.
Former GM: [Image: bhn88m.png]
[pbhfx]

[/pbhfx]
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png] | [Image: gs89eGV.png] |  [Image: gdppv5N.png]
Affiliates:[Image: 2ugjkte.jpg] [Image: bhn88m.png] [Image: e8s6jq.png] Former Affiliates: [Image: xaoosh.png]

TASK ONE:
Isak Odegard is super excited to be heading to the finals this season! The last two seasons with the Chiefs felt like they were serious contenders, but something always ended up happening to end their chances earlier than expected. But now they're going all the way, and while Isak is understandably a bit nervous, he came out of juniors with a history of winning after making it to the finals and winning the Four Star Cup both seasons he played with the Whalers, so he knew he could flourish under the pressure. He spends the days leading up the the beginning of the finals getting ready, both physically and mentally - eating well, working out a bit but taking it slightly easier than normal to make sure he's as well rested as he can be, and he tries to get in the right head space by thinking back on all of the things that have gone right this season, and that went right in his finals appearances in juniors. Obviously there's game tape with the team to look over any flaws they need to address, and any weaknesses in the other team, so on his own he tries to focus on the positives and convince himself that he's ready to face the challenge. Also, he has to go suit shopping because one of his friends - Mia Landvik, who he grew up with and now plays internationally with on team Norway - is getting married later this summer.

TASK TWO:
Jonathan Lundberg is a player who always shows up when his team needs him, and this post-season with the Chiefs was no exception. He might not be as flashy as Lord Pretty Flacko or Sebastian Strange, but he brings an all-around strength to the ice that few can argue with. This post-season, his numbers shine as always - he had 8 goals and 9 assists, achieving that rare goal of fairly equal numbers while being near the top of the list in each, but beyond that he was one of the top hitters in the playoffs as well - second only to LA's Danny Foster - and with three game winning goals, he showed up most when he was most needed. He wouldn't seem like the obvious guess for most ice time on the team, but looking at everything he accomplished it's no surprise that the Chiefs always wanted him on the ice. And, as he has been everywhere he plays, he continues to be an MVP off the ice as well, pushing his teammates to play harder and better.

TASK FOUR: PMed

TASK SIX:
Going into any series, it's easy to predict that the MVP of the winning team will be the goalie. Obviously, others on the team will need to stand out as well - you can't win without scoring goals - but no matter how flashy your forwards are, or how solid your defense may be, the goalie has to be the backbone of the team. Both of the teams in the finals showed this, with Olli O'Koivu (MIN) and Teemu Haas (LAP) having significantly better stats than any other goalies in the post-season. They were the only two with GAAs below 3, and with SV%s above .910. Their stats were really incredibly close to each other, going in - the question was which would show that extra something needed to get his team the win. Both are elite goalies, and it could have gone either way, but O'Koivu stepped up in the final series to barely edge out Haas in both stats, earning himself an MVP nod in my opinion.

[Image: pb_olli.gif]

Profile | Updates

[Image: vtXGfpR.png]

[Image: N2ANQtw.png]

Code:
TASK ONE: How has your player kicked off their offseason? Are they traveling? Meeting up with friends and partying? Following the games? Write at least 150 words about the beginning of your player’s offseason. Must include at least one other player.

Though the Winnipeg Jets' season is over, Pietra Volkova's offseason has not begun quite yet. Now that she's able to spend her full time with her children again, she'll be spending the next week jetting between Minnesota and Los Angeles to support Olli O'Koivu in the Challenge Cup finals. She's not looking forward to the traveling, considering that the twins are now old enough to quietly complain about all the plane trips they have to take to see their father play, but she's happy to kick off a summer of spending time with her family nonetheless. Her parents insisted on coming up to Minnesota with her to spend some quality time with their son-in-law and grandchildren, but seem more than content to stay in St. Paul and play tourist in the city rather than travel to the road games with her. Regardless, Volks doesn't think O'Koivu would be too thrilled at the added pressure of Papa Volkov silently judging him from the stands during the away games, so it's probably for the better.

Code:
Word count: 173.

Code:

The unsung hero of the playoffs, though he wasn't able to help his team win the Challenge Cup, has to be Los Angeles Panthers defender Danny Foster. There were many names on the Panthers, such as Jean-Luc Reflieux and Sophia Bennett, who put up big offensive numbers over the course of their campaign. However, Danny Foster put up even bigger defensive ones. Foster had 64 hits in 16 games, which was a complete boon to his team in the effort to regain possession against other hard-hitting and fast teams in the playoffs. He was also tied for the team lead in blocked shots with 25, showing that he was more than willing to give up his body for the sake of the team effort. Looking past his defensive numbers, he was even able to hold his own offensively from the blue line, assisting on nine goals and scoring one of his own.

Code:
Word count: 152.

Code:
TASK FOUR: Will be taking the average of all submissions as my scoring.

Code:

From the Los Angeles Panthers, the clear-cut MVP was Timo Haas and that shouldn't be in question. He was far and away the main reason that the Panthers made the final. With a 0.917 SV% despite facing a remarkable 516 shots over the course of the playoffs, Haas consistently kept his team contending against offensive juggernauts. It seems only appropriate that in his swan song, Haas was the cornerstone of his team's deep playoff run.

On the other side, Minnesota's firepower was a huge part of their success in these playoffs. Eight of the Chiefs' twelve wins in the playoffs came off at least 4-goal efforts. A key piece of that offense was second-line center Sebastian Strange. Though he wasn't his team's highest scorer, the starpower numbers show that Strange was his team's biggest clutch guy, earning three first stars, two second stars, and one third star honor. Additionally, his physicality was a huge boon to his team in retaining possession.

Code:
Word count: 161.

Series Winning Goal: Sebastian Strange

[Image: shlpris41.gif]
sig credits
[Image: FJ4Sjuj.png] |[Image: apAE8qn.png] | [Image: uEsOaLl.png]
[Image: 2dtdoyf.png]
Former affiliates: raiders Jets Stars

How has your player kicked off their offseason? Are they traveling? Meeting up with friends and partying? Following the games? Write at least 150 words about the beginning of your player’s offseason. Must include at least one other player.

Currently sitting at a career record of 4-16 in his SHL playoff appearances so far to date, Schroder has a lot of reflecting to do this off season. What has he done wrong? Can he himself improve enough to try and get his team to the next level? This off season will be one of study and refining. What does that mean? Trying to solve the issues that seem to plague himself and his team. Now one of the top skilled players in the league he has yet to really capture some elite level hardware, or success. What does he need to take it up to that next notch, to earn that name recognition that comes with some of the greats?

Travelling will be key as he looks to meet with some of those he has looked up to in the record books, discuss with team management what they need from him to win and finally to clear his mind and get ready for next seasons (hopefully) better results. The Journey is reaching the half way point and he needs to decide whether to cement his name in the talks for all time greats and create a winning legacy in WKP, or fade into the distance as an alright player who just tried to hard. (215 words)

Who is your choice for the unsung hero of the S39 playoffs up to this point? Must be at least 150 words and include at least two statistics in support.

Sebastian Strange Chiefs

There hasn’t been anyone really better for the chiefs than Strange. Not enjoying quite the sheer offensive dominance that some of the panther players have had, Strange has been making his own head way all over the ice instead. 2nd on the team in scoring and leading the way with 6 goals, he still only sits at a +1. Well then you question his defensive play and how can be be commended for his player every where? Look at his faceoff totals. Clicking at a 57.44% win rate with almost 250 taken is borderline gross. He has been their #1 faceoff guy all playoffs and has been destroying the opposition in the dot. That alone gives them control in a lot of situations for defensively and offensively for his team and helps the chiefs drive the play rather than chase it. If they end up winning the cup it will be the behind the scenes stats like this that will push them over the edge finally as they hoist the cup. (171 Words)

e answers to me by PM. Please make the subject of the message “CW Word Scramble” or something along those lines. [Grading: 1 TPE for participation, 0.5 TPE for each correct answer]

Sent

Timo Hass Panthers

From what I have seen in my few seasons in the SHL is that the LA Panthers seem to ride or die on the back of Timo Haas. Now that’s not to take away from any of their players top notch performances (See –Sophia Bennett and Jean-Luc Reflieux) but Haas once again has gotten hot at the right time and is starting to lead this team kicking and screaming towards a potential cup. Having gone 7-1-0 with a .940% Save mixed with a GAA sitting below the 2 mark (1.89) you can see what I mean pretty clearly.

Olli O’Koivu Chiefs

He has to this point been simply out classed stat wise by the likes of Haas, but that’s why he must be the Chiefs MVP. If they stand ANY chance of closing this out as the champs he needs to bring himself to the next level and compete with Haas 1v1 and beat him in these next 4-7 games. Sitting at .910% and 2.68 just isn’t going to cut it as it’s clear with the way Haas has been playing Minnesota won’t be able to just out score any issues, O’Koivu needs to turn it on and step up NOW and be his teams MVP before it’s all said and done. (215 words)

Series Winning Goal: Sophia Bennett

[Image: 4zfXx6o.gif]

Code:

If you are a player in the Challenge/Four Star Cup: How is your player feeling for the Finals? Are they nervous or excited? Are they ready? Write at least 150 words about the few days before the beginning of the Finals for your player and how they prepared for the series.

[b]If not: How has your player kicked off their offseason? Are they traveling? Meeting up with friends and partying? Following the games? Write at least 150 words about the beginning of your player’s offseason. Must include at least one other player.[/b]

My player has taken the off season pretty lightly so far. Going through a 50 game season is tough, and the body needs to rest. Especially once you've been in the league for 16 years like I have. I'm taking it slow, just hanging out with the wife while my body heals. After I feel better though, we're heading out. We've got plans to travel to Cleveland for a concert, and to Tampa to see some family members we don't normally get to hang out with. I might be making a trip to Vegas too, just to spend some of this money and see if I can make more. I might go hang out a bit with Conklin Owen (<a href='index.php?showuser=2206' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Phobospwns</a>) if he can ever stop being so busy. I know I've got another few seasons in me at least, so I know I've gotta get all that done and then head right back into the gym if I wanna stay where I am. I'm approaching some records, so I need to be healthy enough to get them.

Code:

We could sit and talk about Sophia Bennet or Terrance Nova, or Sebastian Strange all day, but everyone KNOWS that those players are doing well. One of the unsung heroes, the guys who don't get talked about enough is definitely Matthew Leetch. In his eight games, he's only scored once, but has put up five assists for a total of six points. But, we've mention Strange and Nova, and they're the guys that are SUPPOSED to be scoring. Leetch is bringing up the rear on defense and still helping his team on the offensive side. He's a plus four, which is pretty impressive when you're playing the best teams out there. He also has twelve hits and sixteen shot blocks. He's a two way player that is making sure his team has enough points to win, and keeps the other team from making it harder. He's definitely a player that doesn't get enough credit for his contributions.

Code:

SENT!

Code:

As I mentioned in my unsung hero post, there are plenty of people who are standing out already to make themselves known as a pursuer of the MVP trophy. From the LA Panthers, we have Sophia Bennet and Jean-Luc Reflieux. Both have only played 8 games, but Sophia has tallied 6 goals, 7 assists for 13 points. Reflieux has put up 3 goals and 8 assists for 11 points, but is a plus 9 while Sophia is only a plus 8. For the Minnesota Chiefs, Terrance Nova or Sebastian Strange are the clear team leaders. Nova has 4 goals, 8 assists and 12 points, while Strange has 6 goals, 5 assists and 11 points. Neither are putting up numbers like Sophia, but she's definitely an anomaly this season. Timo Haas is also kicking ass, and might get the nod as MVP with his impressive numbers. He has a .941 save percentage and a 1.89 goals against average. He might be the one to steal MVP away from a skater this season.

Bonus question: Who scores the Cup-winning goal? (NOTE: This question will be graded at the conclusion of the winning-game sim of the Challenge Cup Finals, even if that happens before the conclusion of Championship Week.)

Sebastian Strange

Update PageWhalers | Wolfpack | Player Page

Jack Durden:

Season 24 - *4 Star Cup Champions - Vancouver Whalers*
Season 36 - *Challenge Cup Champions - Texas Renegades*
Season 36 - *Anton Razov Trophy Winner - Playoff MVP - Texas Renegades*
Season 41 - *IIHF Gold Medalist - Team United Kingdom*
Season 41 - *Triple Gold Member*
**Vancouver Whalers Hall of Fame**
**Texas Renegades Hall of Fame**
**Hall of Fame Member**

Code:
TASK ONE: If not: How has your player kicked off their offseason? Are they traveling? Meeting up with friends and partying? Following the games? Write at least 150 words about the beginning of your player’s offseason. Must include at least one other player.

The offseason’s been slow-going. No one likes getting swept in the first round, so there’s no doubt Kruger’s been taking some time to himself--hanging out in his flat, spending some time with his friends on the team. One particular activity he’s taken upon himself is finally learning to cook something other than chicken and rice. Other than staying at home, he’s most definitely got plans--he’ll spend some time visiting friends around the country. Some time in Seattle to see <a href='index.php?showuser=2706' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>StaticShocked</a>, hit up Hamilton and catch up with <a href='index.php?showuser=2572' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-56'>DrunkenTeddy</a> and <a href='index.php?showuser=2583' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-17'>QuantumCowboy</a>. Then it’s probably across the pond back to Germany to visit family and spend some time helping coach youth camps in his hometown.

After a nice galavant around the world? Then, of course, there’s the matter of winning gold at Worlds to take care of--and in the last season of the great Timo Haas to boot. Once that medal’s all wrapped up, it’s another week or so off before getting right back into the swing of training. After all, he didn’t get the cup this year, but next year’s right around the corner.

Code:

Matty, Matty, Matty Holmberg. Obvious choice in my eyes, the aging defender’s been an important part of Minnesota’s regular season--11 points in 12 games during his regular season stint and then again, 10 points in 15 games total across the post-season. Led the team in shots blocked with 29, fifth in hits on the team with 22--Holmberg has been exactly what Minnesota needed him to be this post-season and with very little credit from the public for it. He’s been a quiet defender for a couple of seasons now, but his solid defensive zone play has been impressive and important to the Minnesota Chiefs. He and Caelum are eating minutes on that first line, playing solid defence and managing to look good doing it--no one on Minnesota’s roster ended the season below 0 +/-, and that’s thanks to the defensive work of Mattias Holmberg, among others. 110% my unsung hero of the playoffs, but I’m sure he’s already well aware of how important he’s been.

Code:

Sent on March 15, 2018.

Code:

If you’re talking standouts, you need to talk about retiring goaltender Timo Haas. He’s the guy that’s going to need to really stand on his head if LA’s going to wrap this thing up with a cup. He finished the regular season going 22-17-5, came in with a .921 SV%, and sat just two and a half goals against on average. Haas has already proven that despite being an old man, he’s still got the fightin’ spirit left in him. That said, LA’s been in the playoffs before--they’ve run this song and dance. Always fighting in and coming up just short, regardless of round. Haas might’ve had a part in that before, but he’s always been a solid netminder for the Panthers squad. That said, if they want that cup, Haas needs to be flawless in net. Any shakiness at all and you run the risk of collapsing from a breeze. Haas needs to be a rock, and if he is and they win? He’s your MVP.

Likewise, Olli O’Koivu has to be playing at the top of his game. He finished 26-14-5, came in with a .912 SV% and just under 2.75 goals against on average. On paper, statistics dictate that Haas is a better goalie, if by a small margin. But paper is bullshit, we all know that. It’s about what you put on the ice. O’Koivu is a good goaltender, has been all season and all post-season. But in this series, like Haas, I think everything’s going to rest on just how sturdy O’Koivu can be. And, if the Chiefs win, he’s my MVP. He’s had a stellar postseason thus far, I can’t see it getting any less stellar from here on out.

Yes it’s a battle of the goalies.

[Image: MvfRxO2.png]
sigs by me bitch

Code:
TASK ONE:

If not: How has your player kicked off their offseason? Are they traveling? Meeting up with friends and partying? Following the games? Write at least 150 words about the beginning of your player’s offseason. Must include at least one other player.

James Johnson started his off-season with a road trip to Montreal, with Yannick Berger, Geoff Higgins and Jon Toner. He didn’t really “get” the point of the trip, but the other three said it would be good for him to wind down, and sometimes you don’t need to start training the day the season ends. James reluctantly agreed.
As they say, you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink. Though he was on his offseason vacation with his teammates, James had his eyes glued to the playoff scores, and was texting Raiders’ GM Jordin Fourfour so much that he probably blocked him. All he wanted to do was think about next season.
He also tried a real Montreal poutine. He didn’t get what the fuss was about. It’s just fries with cheese and gravy. What’s the big deal? The smoked meat was the real attraction.

Code:

I’m in the Los Angeles Panthers’ locker room, so I have a bit of inside info on this. Everyone is talking about Sohpia Bennett’s amazing post-season. Jean-Luc Reflieux is in management, so everyone knows him. But, in the locker room, or the media, I haven’t seen a word about the outstanding performance of Danny Foster. The guy is doing everything. He’s third on the team in points, with nine, as a defenseman. He leads the team in post-season hits, at 36. He even has two fights, in the playoffs! It seems like the high-scoring forwards always get the attention, but hard working defensemen like Foster win or lose you championships. You have to appreciate the man’s versatility, there’s really no part of the ice that he doesn’t make an impact on. You can bet, if it comes to game 7, Foster is going to play a lot of hard minutes that third period.

Code:

waxiaamrinmhceilt

eilrruasstgeglnht

thcaenmhnigscneru    

nalzgaoaronzbo

PM'd

Code:

It should be obvious who Los Angeles needs to do their magic to win. There are two players who have played their hearts out these playoffs, and they’ll need to keep doing it for the Panthers to win. The first is leading scorer Sophia Bennett. Her seven goals and 13 points lead the team, and they need her to keep that up to win. The second is the amazing Timo Haas. Enough can’t be said about his playoff performance. The he has an absurd 0.941 save percentage and 1.89 goals against average. If the Panthers win, look for one of them to be named MVP.
The Chiefs have gotten twelve points out of Terrance Nova and eight goals from Sebastian Strange. They need to keep that up and use their magic to solve Timo Haas to win this series. If they can’t, it will be a short one. If they can, look for one of them to get the nod as the most valuable player this playoff tournament.

Code:
Bonus question: Who scores the Cup-winning goal? (NOTE: This question will be graded at the conclusion of the [u][b]winning-game sim of the Challenge Cup Finals[/b][/u], [u]even if that happens before the conclusion of Championship Week.[/u])

Sophia Bennett

Code:

After the disappointing end to the season for the Calgary Dragons, Nicholas Pedersen and his best bud Esa Anrikkanen, unexpectedly found themselves with some free time before training started for S40. So what else was there to do with the new found time, than to go and hit up a string of 6 concerts from two of the remaining members of the Grateful Dead, Phil Lesh and Bob Weir. The duo tour took place in New York, Boston, and Chicago, so what better way of wallowing in their defeat, than catching two American Icons melt faces in three of the best cities in the states. The 2nd show of the the mini tour stood out the most by far, as Phil & Bobby were joined onstage by Trey Anastasio, guitarist for Peders favorite band, Phish. Coming onstage for the 2nd Set, Phil, Bobby, and Trey ripped thru Dead classics Playing in the Band, The Wheel, Dark Star, Jack Straw, Eyes of the World, St. Stephen, Viola Lee Blues, Standing on the Moon, and ending with a beautiful Ripple. All in all it was a magic night of music with my best friend Esa, just a short ride away from where we saw our first Grateful Dead show, so many years ago.

211 words

Code:

In a little unconventional pick I'm going to go with Felix Herzog as the unsung hero of the playoffs. In his last run before retirement, Herzog, once a very skilled centerman, made the transition for the good of his team a few seasons ago, has turned into one of the best shutdown defenceman in the league. This showed in the first round of the playoffs against the number one seeded Calgary Dragons, as Herzog went head to head with the likes of Joe Kurczewski and Hall of Famer Randy Randleman and held the two dynamic scorers to a total of 3 points in the four game sweep. While focusing more on the defensive effort this final playoff run, Herzog, has made the most of his offensive contributions by scoring a game tying goal for the Panthers before assisting on the game winner in OT. Always the team player as noted above, Herzog continues to throw his body around the ice, blocking nearly two shots a game in the playoffs, which he will need to continue to do to cap his great career with a cup.

185 Words

Code:

waxiaamrinmhceilt

eilrruasstgeglnht

thcaenmhnigscneru    

nalzgaoaronzbo

Done!

Code:

In the SHL Playoffs you live and die with how well your goalie plays. This series is not going to be any different. Your goalie stands on his head, and you have a chance, play poorly and you will be hitting the golf course to take out the frustration of losing. The better team does not always win, we have seen this in the past, and we are seeing it this season, with the #4 seeded LA Panthers thoroughly dominating the competition thru the first two rounds. Look at the stat, and you will clearly see why, Timo Haas has been amazing. Letting up less than 2 goals a game, is going to lead to alot of victories. If he keeps this up, there is no doubt he is the MVP of the playoffs, and a very deserving one. Minnesota is riding the back of their offense, in the playoffs, and with the way this team is built, scoring comes from all over the lineup. Jonathan Lundberg hitting everything in sight, and providing key secondary scoring is going to be the catalyst that brings the cup to Minnesota. At the end of the day, I'm going to hang my hat on the hot goalie, and Predict that LA will win this series in 7 Games, with Timo Haas winning the MVP trophy.

222 Words

Bonus question: Who scores the Cup-winning goal? (NOTE: This question will be graded at the conclusion of the winning-game sim of the Challenge Cup Finals, even if that happens before the conclusion of Championship Week.)

Sophia Bennett

[Image: mstuk41.gif]
[Image: 35884_s.gif]

[Image: jcjcF7J.png][Image: nHs4nH0.png]

Task ONE

If you are a player in the Challenge/Four Star Cup: How is your player feeling for the Finals? Are they nervous or excited? Are they ready? Write at least 150 words about the few days before the beginning of the Finals for your player and how they prepared for the series..

Well, it is safe to say I am feeling a lot better throughout the playoffs, and heading into the finals. It was a rough season for me individually, I barely kept up with my rookie season numbers, and couldn't deal with a lot of the pressure. However, heading into the playoffs I was gaining my confidence back, and its say to say i am the most confident heading into the finals that I have ever been. However, If I said I did not have some nerves I would be lying. This is my first time heading to the finals and I know the team, and the city will be depending on me to have a very strong playoff series. The other team has some top end offensive talent, and a very strong goalie. I want to make sure I am both able to play a strong defensive game, but also keep up with my offensive production through the playoffs so far.

161 words.

Task Two - Who is your choice for the unsung hero of the S39 playoffs up to this point? Must be at least 150 words and include at least two statistics in support.

Its not often someone who is third in scoring on their team, or a second line center win the unsung hero award, but for me my unsung hero is sebastian strange. Strange finished the playoffs with 17 points in 15 games, while putting up 9 goals which is good for second on his team. However, Strange did much more then just score, he was a hitting machine putting up 43 hits, and 4 shots blocked. On top of his physical game Strange was the top face off man throughout the playoffs, posting an impressive 57% in the dot. Minnesota was able to throw strange out for all the defensive zone, and critical face offs throughout the game.
I was also told from my source that Strange was a very inspiring player throughout the playoffs, and often motivated his team to keep pushing on, and never to tap out. Strange did not receive as much attention from the mainstream media as other players, but without his play night in and night out the team would not have achieved the result they did.

181 words

Task Four - PM Sent

Task Six - Finals series always show surprises. Who will have to stand out the most from each team in order to win it? Make a prediction for potential series MVPs. Must be at least 150 words and mention at least one player from each team.

Well for me this one is easy, the team whos goal tender is the strongest throughout the series will be the reason their team wins it. That means Olli O'Koivu (MIN), and Timo Haas (LAP) must be on the top of their game for their respected team to come out as challenge cup champions.
It is safe to say both goalies brought their A games through out the finals series, however, Olli O'Koivu out battled Timo Haas in the major categories. Olli O'Koivu posted a record of 12-2-1, yes that is only 2 regulation losses. This incredible record was back up by his .919 save percentage, and his 2.47 goals against average. Timo Haas posted a solid 10-5-1 record with a 9.17 save percentage, and 2.59 goals against average. As you can tell both goalies played extremely well throughout the playoffs, and if the teams were to swap a goal or two in a game it would be Timo Haas who would have came out on top for his team.

170 words

[Image: Oats.gif]

Player Page | Player Update
[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]

Code:

A round two exit is almost as disheartening for Karl Hefeweizen as last year's round three exit. With Season 40 already in the Winnipeg Jets' sights, this offseason is focused on increased training. An increased emphasis on conditioning with infamous manbeast Big Manious (<a href='index.php?showuser=1478' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Bonk</a>) means that Hefeweizen is spending incredible amounts of time at the gym with his defensive partner. The increased conditioning efforts are for more than just physical gains -- Hefeweizen is looking to solidify the bond with his partner and try to pick up a few tricks. Work ethic, technique, and most importantly diet are playing an increased role in Hefeweizen's overall fitness regimen. It is said that Bonk drank 47 beers before Game 3 of the S37 Challenge Cup finals. When asked if the alcohol had anything to do with his performance in that game, Big Manious' response was simply "No, I was just thirsty." Whether 47 beers is in the cards for Hefeweizen remains to be seen, but there are still plenty of things for him to learn from the grizzled veteran.

Code:
Timo Haas has been an impeccable force for the Los Angeles Panthers so far. Let's face it: Haas hasn't had an easy road to the finals so far. He's had to face star studded offenses from teams like the Calgary Dragons and the Winnipeg jets. He's met those challenges with aplomb, tallying a whopping 0.941 save percentage, best in the league by a long shot (next best is Olli O'Koivu with 0.910). Moreover, Haas has posted a stingy 1.89 goals against average. Given the high octane offense of the Panthers, Haas has given the team the confidence to really press the pedal to the metal in their transition game. The Panthers face an uphill battle in the finals, but a lot of their success will rest on the shoulders of the goalie that's helped them get to this point. If he's been able to stymie some of the league's best forwards and powerplay units, then the Eastern Conference may face the same difficulties.

Code:

waxiaamrinmhceilt

eilrruasstgeglnht

thcaenmhnigscneru    

nalzgaoaronzbo
PM'ed

Code:

The Minnesota Chiefs have a star studded cast and there are a lot of likely nominees for their most valuable player: Terrance Nova, Sebastian Strange, Lord Pretty Flacko, Alonzo Garbonzo, and more. I think given the stacked roster on both sides, this series may come down to depth. I think that someone farther down the depth chart, Jonathan Lundberg, might be a key difference maker. Lundberg has logged big minutes on both the penalty kill and the powerplay, the latter yielding a third of his points. He also leads the team in hits this postseason, and that physical presence may have a big impact on setting the tone against the Panthers. The Panthers have made it thus far due to their stellar goaltending, and I don't see any sign of Timo Haas slowing down. The Panthers in front of him have done a stellar job as well, but I think his play has helped them shift their tactics in such a way that he has to be considered.

Code:
Bonus question: Who scores the Cup-winning goal?
Sophia Bennett

Task 1:
After my first trip to the postseason with the Edmonton Blizzard, I took a couple of days to reflect on the Game 7 loss to the Winnipeg Jets. We had a chance to close it out on home ice, but the experience and depth of the Jets prevailed. However, this experience is only going to help our team going forward. I cleaned out my locker room and left the arena, saying goodbye to all the workers.

Newly announced captain Cory Knouse was hosting a season-ending party for the team. It was a great way to unwind with all the guys after a tough season. We relaxed and talked about the expectations for next season. Everyone is happy for the rest, but anxious to take the ice again next season and try to improve on this seasons' success. Throughout the rest of the off-season, a bunch of players and I would skate on the ice and just run simple drills to hone our skills and work up some chemistry. It was really helpful working out with Chiclets, especially on our breakout plays. This off-season is going to be a big help in taking the next step this coming season.

(198 words)

Task 2:
My choice for unsung hero of the playoffs is Minnesota Chiefs defenceman Eero Hämäläinen. Playing a depth role for the Chiefs, Eero has impressed. He is currently playing 3rd pairing and power play minutes and making the most of his 19 minutes per game. He has put up the second most power play points for his team with 5 and is 4th in team scoring with 15 points overall. That is a very impressive point total for the depth defenceman. He doesn't hit much, but his body still takes a beating as he collected 22 shot blocks. He and his partner Shirobokov were very steady for the Chiefs. They made the coaches jobs much easier because they could trust them in all situations and not have to rely on the top 4 too much. Eero Hämäläinen impressed me a great deal in these playoffs. This could be his coming out party and we could see Minnesota thrust him into more playing time next season and beyond.

(166 words)

Task 4:
PM'd

Task 6:
If the Panthers are going to win the Challenge Cup, they are going to need their star centre Jean-Luc Reflieux to lead them. The Chiefs have a couple of elite forwards on their team so Reflieux will need to be able to match their stats, while also trying to shut them down. It's a tall task to ask of him, but that comes with the territory of being a number one centre. If he can do that, the Panthers have a great chance to pull out the win.

As for the Chiefs, they will need their veteran leader on the back end, Alonzo Garbanzo, to lead the charge from the blue line. He's their heart and soul and if he can play like he's known to, it'll go a long way to making O'Koivu's job easier. He has the skill to put his forwards in positions to succeed so Minnesota needs him to find the fountain of youth for this series. If Alonzo can bring the heat for this 7 game series, the Chiefs are that much more deadly.

(179 words)

BONUS QUESTION: Who scores the Cup winning goal?

Sebastian Strange

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 76
33-12-1
Regular Season - [G 6] [A 8] [Pts 14] [+/- +25] [PIM 30] [Hits 22] [SB 87]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]