Create Account

Heiss Announces Top SHL Destination

<div align="center">[Image: 258458_t607.JPG]

Josef Heiss Announces Top SHL Destination for S9 SHL Draft

This is the final of 3 articles that started with me analyzing goalie needs in the SHL in the next couple seasons and then analyzing the top 4 teams with goalie needs based on that initial article and finally now I am writing my top SHL team preference come the S9 SHL Draft based on those two articles.

If you have not read the first two articles, I suggest you do so, they can be found here:

Article 1 - http://theshl.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=8618

Article 2 - http://theshl.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=8975

</div>
These articles are so hard to write, because when you express preference for one team over another it can cause teams to feel spurned and that is not the intention.

To clarify what this, I want to make a couple points very clear:

1. Though I am expressing strong preference for 1 particular SHL team, I will play anywhere that gives me the opportunity to be the starting goalie within the next 2 or so years (however, I am hoping much sooner).

2. My preferences are based on the following criteria, as these aspects in my opinion will create the best on and off ice experience for me and is something I would be looking for from any team:

a. Starting Goalie Opportunity in S9?
b. Solid Defence
c. Rebuilding/Young Team

I want to quantify these three criteria, so everyone understand why these aspects were important to me.

Starting Goalie Opportunity in S9?:

Lets me 100% honest, I want to start and the sooner the better. Though I will wait for 2-3 years I would MUCH prefer to be a starting SHL goalie in S9, as I am sure most NWJHL goalies would also like to be. I don't think this should be a surprise to anyone.

Solid Defence:

Now this is debatable, as every team has some solid defensemen, however I am looking for team leaders that will play big minutes (protecting me) and are young enough to be around a long time. My thought here is a solid defence and my continued development should work wonders in years to come for the SHL team I join. Also, a solid defence could help the "initial" growing pains of a NWJHL goalie starting in the SHL in S9.

Rebuilding/Young Team:

I want to start at the ground level, seriously. I want to be part of something spectacular since I plan on playing for 10 seasons and why not be a part of the first steps to hopefully a SHL Championship. Also, being part of a rebuild team means the players that join the team will likely be there awhile as we grow together, this creates a good locker room atmosphere and a bond that is important.

Now that I have that cleared up, my article will list my preference and why I have chosen them, it will then list the other three teams (not in any specific order) and in a much briefer way explain what it was that kept them from being my top preference.

So here we go....

<div align="center">[Image: quick-save.jpg]
How would Josef Heiss Look in a Rage Uniform?

Manhattan Rage</div>

Criteria Checklist:

1. Starting Goalie Opportunity in S9? - Check
2. Solid Defence - Agante/Chisling - Check
3. Rebuilding/Young Team - Check

The Rage are rebuilding, having traded away almost anyone from S3 or older, they are a youthful team regrouping and refocusing on the future, with that ideal in mind, I really thought the core of this team will be intact for seasons to come, which is hugely important to be, so we can build and grow together towards a SHL Championship.

They also have arguably two of the best defenders in the entire SHL, which is ideal for any goalie. Having these guys soaking big minutes in front of you can only help the initial jitters a new goalie might have in his first season.

Finally, with the retirement of the Legend Fernando Garcia, this left a whole in the Rage net, as both their back-ups are inactive. To be able to walk into a SHL starting goalie position is a dream come true.

Overall, the Rage fit exactly what I am looking for, they knew they needed a rebuild so they did it, but they kept a great core of players that I feel will have them on the road to the playoffs sooner than later.

<div align="center">[Image: vokoun_kiprusoff.jpg]
Jesster has lots of fight left in him for seasons to come

Calgary Dragons</div>

I was impressed with grimreapers comments on my last article and for that I want to thank him here. He showed me the respect to say they would love to have me but did not feel it was fair to have me wait 3 years for a spot in Calgary, as Jesster would not be retiring anytime soon.

As a result, it is because of the 3 years wait for a starting goalie position the Calgary Dragons did not meet my criteria. I also was willing to waive my rebuilding team criteria for Calgary because they have a young core already so it still fit with what I wanted in a locker room atmosphere.

I want to wish the Dragons good luck in the S9 SHL Draft and in the future.

<div align="center">[Image: howard.jpg]
Panthers going to rebuild or reload for S9?

Los Angeles Panthers</div>

The Panthers were a tough read for me initially because of the whole Eddie Fischerman inactive goalie situation. Could he come back and bump me out of a potential starting spot? I guess there is always that chance, but I had it on good authority (from a couple sources) this would not happen if the Panthers drafted me. Regardless I could never shake this as a possibility, which might not be fair to the Panthers, but sometimes you just have to go with your gut on things.

Also, the fact they were not entering a rebuild makes me think I might not be good enough initially for their needs and then when they do enter a rebuild in a couple years, I might be wanting to win a cup, so it just felt we were off each other's needs by a season or two.

As a result of this I did not choose them as my team of choice in the SHL Draft.

I want to wish Checkmate and the rest of the Panthers good luck in the S9 SHL Draft and for seasons to come.

<div align="center">[Image: _HKN_Leafs_Goalies_20111109_high.jpg]
Honcho is the Man in TO, When will he Step Aside?

Toronto North Stars</div>

Much like the Dragons, Krever has been nothing but classy in our conversations and I think he has some great ideas on how prospects should be handled by SHL teams.

However with that being said the starting spot in Toronto is potentially even farther away than in Calgary and with other Starting spots open it unfortunately led me to lean towards other teams rather than the North Stars.

I want to also wish Krever and the North Stars a great SHL S9 draft and much success in future years.

Once again, I want to thank all the players and GM's that have talked with me and I hope (crosses fingers), I will be able to go to my preferred team come the S9 Draft.

1200 words + 5 Pictures

I like it.

Good to see the enthusiasm. Smile

Hopefully I get to call out your name draft day.

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

Whaaaaaat Aggrieved

For your sake bud you better hope the Rage can move up into a
1st round pick this year or you might be going somewhere else...

Your just too good a talent to pass up if a team needs a goalie in the next couple years.

Good Luck in the Draft!

Also - if you wanted an agent you should of talked with me ....

Quote:Originally posted by Heater@Jun 7 2012, 07:07 AM
For your sake bud you better hope the Rage can move up into a
1st round pick this year or you might be going somewhere else...

Your just too good a talent to pass up if a team needs a goalie in the next couple years.

Good Luck in the Draft!

Also - if you wanted an agent you should of talked with me ....

I have no control over what the Rage organization does, all I can control is what I do. Wink