Create Account

Can we address the problem with PBPs?

Honestly does anyone actually like PBP's? In my time of being here there's only been a few that I've actually enjoyed paying attention to, and they've exclusively came from people with experience doing them.

Now this isn't meant to be an attack on any rookies or new players who did a PBP in their first couple seasons that could've gone better, just because there's just so little guidance on how to do them well. It isn't your fault but rather the fault of the system in which we have in place, in my opinion.

First off, when was the last time you ever enjoyed a PBP? For me, it's pretty much only game 7's or elimination games, and only a handful of which I can say in my personal opinion were done well in maintaining follower's interest. I much rather just waiting until the box score is posted in the index. Plus, especially when they're done at night when it feels like no one is watching them is the worst thing.

Second, why are these things worth TPE? Coming into the league as a rookie there's pressure to grab every bit of TPE you can, so it's only attracting new people who don't know what they're signing up for or how to do a PBP well.

Either way I feel like these things could either be done much better, or not be done at all.

[Image: OzriPox.png]

Player Page - Update Page

artermis,Feb 2 2017, 04:11 PM Wrote:9gag pretty lit tho

very good point

08-23-2018, 12:41 AMJustice Wrote: Honestly does anyone actually like PBP's? In my time of being here there's only been a few that I've actually enjoyed paying attention to, and they've exclusively came from people with experience doing them.

Now this isn't meant to be an attack on any rookies or new players who did a PBP in their first couple seasons that could've gone better, just because there's just so little guidance on how to do them well. It isn't your fault but rather the fault of the system in which we have in place, in my opinion.

First off, when was the last time you ever enjoyed a PBP? For me, it's pretty much only game 7's or elimination games, and only a handful of which I can say in my personal opinion were done well in maintaining follower's interest. I much rather just waiting until the box score is posted in the index. Plus, especially when they're done at night when it feels like no one is watching them is the worst thing.

Second, why are these things worth TPE? Coming into the league as a rookie there's pressure to grab every bit of TPE you can, so it's only attracting new people who don't know what they're signing up for or how to do a PBP well.

Either way I feel like these things could either be done much better, or not be done at all.

There are a lot of us who hate the PbPs all together but there are still quite a few users who enjoy them. So when we changed it a few seasons back we compromised and made it only for finals instead of having them possibly in all 3 rounds. It does add a level of excitement if done right and the PbP director has been doing great work on keeping up with who has done well and who hasn't and disallowing the bad ones from happening again.

The reason they are for TPE is because no one would do them otherwise. Ultimately it's a pretty mixed bag on who likes and dislikes them so it's worth keeping around for the one's who do. And there's a nice reward for the one's who want to work for it. If they suck at it then they get blacklisted and the TPE goes to someone who deserves it.

[Image: thedangazone.gif]

08-23-2018, 01:10 AMTheDangaZone Wrote:
08-23-2018, 12:41 AMJustice Wrote: Honestly does anyone actually like PBP's? In my time of being here there's only been a few that I've actually enjoyed paying attention to, and they've exclusively came from people with experience doing them.

There are a lot of us who hate the PbPs all together but there are still quite a few users who enjoy them. So when we changed it a few seasons back we compromised and made it only for finals instead of having them possibly in all 3 rounds. It does add a level of excitement if done right and the PbP director has been doing great work on keeping up with who has done well and who hasn't and disallowing the bad ones from happening again.

The reason they are for TPE is because no one would do them otherwise. Ultimately it's a pretty mixed bag on who likes and dislikes them so it's worth keeping around for the one's who do. And there's a nice reward for the one's who want to work for it. If they suck at it then they get blacklisted and the TPE goes to someone who deserves it.
Very good point

I still think there could be a better way to do it that benefits everyone

Like for instance @King had to do a PbP that lacked efficiency solely because he received the box score late since he was filling in, and it certainly made it impossible for him to pull together a PbP that was to the quality I'm sure he would have liked

08-23-2018, 02:38 AMJustice Wrote: I still think there could be a better way to do it that benefits everyone

Like for instance @King had to do a PbP that lacked efficiency solely because he received the box score late since he was filling in, and it certainly made it impossible for him to pull together a PbP that was to the quality I'm sure he would have liked

I think it really is a time thing. I got my PBP at 11 AM, had to start by 6 PM. I started working on it almost as soon as I got it and was literally rendering overtime at 7 PM. It's hard to do something completely new and creative in 7 hours. On the otherhand I understand the time crunch, and people want the results quick.

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

08-23-2018, 06:20 AMTommySalami Wrote:
08-23-2018, 02:38 AMJustice Wrote: I still think there could be a better way to do it that benefits everyone

I think it really is a time thing. I got my PBP at 11 AM, had to start by 6 PM. I started working on it almost as soon as I got it and was literally rendering overtime at 7 PM. It's hard to do something completely new and creative in 7 hours. On the otherhand I understand the time crunch, and people want the results quick.

your pbp is the most unique pbp ive ever seen, deserves the wait

08-23-2018, 06:20 AMTommySalami Wrote:

Exactly what I mean. I wasn't trying to hold against people like King who had to fill in on no time if that was the impression, but I was telling people in the Kelowna LR that your PBP was the best PBP i've seen in my entire time in the league. If you don't get a god tier bonus for that something's wrong

Do PBPs actually hurt your experience though? It seems like you're just complaining about something some people like, and trying to convince them not to like it either, when the thing really doesn't need to have any effect on you at all. Some PBPs will suck, that's just the nature of the game unfortunately, but Erm seems to be keeping tabs on those writers, and I imagine the goal is to weed them out. I think it would actually be sad to see the SHL ditch PBPs altogether.

[Image: Grapehead.gif]
TY NOKA AND VALOR FOR THESE WORKS OF ART
Player Page | Update Page

Stars Battleborn Czechia
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2018, 08:51 AM by Snappy.)

I think it is a good balance that also tips a cap to the history of the league, most games were done by PBP back in the first 5 seasons. I really like the new Post-Game Show that has been implemented during the season though

[Image: w2d9MYW.png]

Yeah It was a bit rushed cause I got mine at 6 pm. Looking forward to getting time to plan mine out better next year.

[Image: 7eETdF8.png]
Falcons
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2018, 09:48 AM by ArGarBarGar.)

I don't know why there was a switch from handing out the html files to what we have now. If you let all GMs/HO members have access to the html immediately then you can get the game out to people sooner.

So some games get leaked to some people. Who cares?

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

08-23-2018, 09:48 AMArGarBarGar Wrote: I don't know why there was a switch from handing out the html files to what we have now. If you let all GMs/HO members have access to the html immediately then you can get the game out to people sooner.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, all the game files are available to download in the GM office.

08-23-2018, 09:58 AMJR95 Wrote:
08-23-2018, 09:48 AMArGarBarGar Wrote: I don't know why there was a switch from handing out the html files to what we have now. If you let all GMs/HO members have access to the html immediately then you can get the game out to people sooner.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, all the game files are available to download in the GM office.

It seems the last couple seasons they haven't been doing html files that can easily be viewed, but instead take the text and plop it into a google drive file, now.

And if GMs and everyone has access to it, that is on everyone involved if PBP information isn't getting sent out.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

08-23-2018, 10:02 AMArGarBarGar Wrote:
08-23-2018, 09:58 AMJR95 Wrote:

It seems the last couple seasons they haven't been doing html files that can easily be viewed, but instead take the text and plop it into a google drive file, now.

And if GMs and everyone has access to it, that is on everyone involved if PBP information isn't getting sent out.

ya since the witch to google drive, you have to download the file to your computer before viewing it, then it will display correctly.