Create Account

BNB Jr: Dominic Montgomery Drafted 5th Overall

Dominic Montgomery Drafted 5th Overall
Get to know the newest addition to Halifax
Biased News with Bilbo Junior

Here at Biased News with Bilbo Junior (BNB Jr.), we try to bring you the greatest and latest developments in most things important to bilbo in the SMJHL. Many (few) may be familiar with our parent company BNB, which brought you the greatest and latest developments in the SHL according to bilbo. BNB Jr is a for-profit news organization dedicated to getting that sweet, sweet TPE.

On Tuesday, most SMJHL Draft prospects started to arrive in some town that was never stated in the draft thread, but the BNB Jr. team was most excited to talk to 17-year-old Dominic Montgomery when he arrived on Wednesday, the day before the draft. Hailing from St. Clair Shores, Michigan, Montgomery is a fast skating defenseman who was predicted to go in the first round of the season 44 SMJHL Draft.

“I’m just excited to see where I’ll end up and am ready to get started,” Montgomery said on Wednesday when we first met with him before he knew his exciting fate. He credits his mothers, Karin and Tina, for signing him up for any and every development camp when he was younger. “I couldn’t have made it here without them.”

Montgomery was invited to the USA Development Camp at 15, and participated in many specialized youth summer camps for 15 and under players where he met fellow first round draftee Leopold Lockhart. We asked if there was any friendly competition between the two the morning of the draft, but Montgomery laughed us off.

On Thursday night, Montgomery went fifth overall in the season 44 draft to the Halifax Raiders via the Montreal Militia. Lockhart and Montgomery were spotted talking and congratulating each other on getting drafted second and fifth overall, respectively, so it appears there is no bad blood. We will look for a rivalry elsewhere.

How does Montgomery feel now that the draft is over?

“Relieved. I’m just trying to enjoy the moment,” Montgomery said. “I’ve heard from a couple of the players on the team and some are familiar with where I’m from, so that’s cool.”

Montgomery grew up on both liquid and solid water. Like most Michiganders who live near the water, Montgomery’s family spends a lot of their summers anchored out in the harbor near their home, and fishing and swimming in Lake Huron. It appears that he is just as traditional as every other hockey player ever, besides maybe knowing how to set up a sail.

“I’ve heard that Halifax is a boating community, so I’m hoping to feel right at home there, even if it might be too cold to sail during hockey season,” the water nerd said. Though, the word on the street is that he is also a fan of eating food and sleeping on land, so maybe he will have somethings in common with his teammates.

We asked Montgomery if he had any other interactions with his new team yet, and he did disclose some drama, which BNB Jr. was eager to learn about. There was quick controversy in the Halifax Raiders’ group chat when defenseman Craig Finley asked Montgomery what he thought about pineapple on pizza. Montgomery was too honest and said he didn't mind it. “Under certain conditions, you know? Like onion or ham—I’m not going to say no. Pizza is pizza to me unless it’s anchovies.” Stay tuned for future developments here.

What is he hoping from the Raiders?

“I’m hoping I can make an impact, prove that they picked the right defenseman for their team,” Montgomery said.

The Halifax Raiders seem to believe in him all right. Montgomery was offered a three million dollar contract on Friday and quickly accepted. He will most likely spend the next three to four seasons getting to know the Raiders, and will hopefully learn the origin story behind “let's good.”

Dominic Montgomery Quick Facts
BNB Jr: Nickname?
DM: Dom or Monty

BNB Jr: Current TV show?
DM: Parks and Recreation, The Good Place

BNB Jr: Favorite Halloween candy?
DM: Almond Joy or Twizzlers
BNB Jr: Why?
DM: What?
BNB Jr: nvm

And there you have it folks, the fifth overall pick in the season 44 SMJHL Draft.

BNB Jr. will keep a close eye on the Raiders and any further developing stories with Dominic Montgomery. Follow him on Twitter @montyshl.

---
Double media payout

[Image: 56791_s.gif]

sigs by sulovilen, slothfacekilla, Flareon
Current: Wolfpack raiders Uk | Alumni: Inferno pride Knights Germany

Beauty. <3

[Image: 7eETdF8.png]
Falcons

almond joy >

[Image: 45029_v.gif]

Sigs by: King, Tweedledunn, Me
Player Page|Twitter|Update Page