Create Account

S44 Championship Week
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2018, 02:43 AM by crutch.)

TASK 1: (Written, 3 TPE)
Choose one team in the series and talk about the steps they took to make the finals. Was it a free agent signing, or an MVP player, or trades, etc. Must be 150 words.

The Winnipeg Jets have taken a long, winding but very planned out road to the Challenge Cup finals. The Jets' ability to keep re-signing key players and having players show that loyalty to them is an embodiment of what every GM would like their team to do. The Jets have done it with every step of their roster, from Zach Evans to Artom Zhumbayev. Each player keeps re-signing for the Jets, taking less money than they would fetch on the open market. It's very inspiring to see Flappy take over and do such a great job with the team that Hazard left behind. One could argue that this is still the Leafs4Ever effect, as the Jets have been competitive ever since Leafs was GM of that team, and nothing seemed to change from that. It was a great honour to play for that franchise, and the GM work done there has been intangible and irreplaceable at every level. (158)

TASK 3: (Written, 3 TPE)
In 150 words or more write about the top highlight of your season. whether it be your first goal, your first hat trick, first shutout, clinching playoffs, getting a career high in something, etc. Must be hockey related.

The highlight of Chuck Crutchfield's SMJHL season was being able to break the Detroit Falcons (and SMJHL) defenceman +/- record with Poopity Scoop, booming in at a respective +28, just 1 short of his teammate Poopity Scoop. The two defencemen showed together that chemistry does matter within a SMJHL team, and Crutchfield and Scoop had it in spades. It was unfortunate that playoffs ended the way that they did, but Crutchfield will always have that record beside his name, just one spot below Poopity Scoop. Another highlight for Crutchfield would be making the playoffs as the first seed, and dominating the league throughout the entire season. A lot of people came into the season knowing that the Falcons were one of the top teams, but nobody knew the extent in which the Falcons would crush their competition. It was a really good season for Crutchfield and the Falcons gang, but everything just came short in that game 7 against Colorado. (159)

TASK 4: (*CASUAL MEMBER SPECIAL* Send answer in PM, 3 TPE)
Question: Before the start of the game little tammy threw 4 reese's peanut butter cups on the ice. 2 of them were skated over and crushed! (Ohhh No!!!)... how many peanut butter cups were NOT skated over?

TASK 6: (Written, 3 TPE)
In an effort to improve the product, the league has asked an outside source to look over the playoff lineups and determine which teams could have performed better.. Come up with a new set of lines for one of the teams eliminated in the playoffs, and explain why you made the choices you did. Must be at least 150 words.

5 vs 5 Defense
  Defense                  Defense                                           Time % Phy DF OF
1 Chuck Crutchfield        Poopity Scoop                                     45     0   3  2  
2 Tig Murphy               Wolfhard Richter                                  35     0   4  1  
3 Aaron Freakin Rome       Jimmy Cahill                                      10     0   4  1  
4 Bedrich Sykora           Nat Emerson                                       10    0   4  1  

The Detroit Falcons desperately needed scoring from the backend during the playoffs. Poopity Scoop and Chuck Crutchfield anchored that line down for the entire season and both of them led the SMJHL in plus minus rating, which proved that they were two very competent defencemen working beside one another for the Falcons. However, when the playoffs rolled around, the two Falcons defencemen found their ice time pushed down and couldn't contribute as much as they wanted to. With the Detroit Falcons being bounced by the Colorado Raptors, the defencemen could have played a bigger role, especially the top pairing. Other than that, the Falcons just got Simon T'd, but that's taking nothing away from the Falcons, who traded some of their players at the trade deadline, and still showed that they are a lethal weapon in the playoffs. (188)

Task 8: (Written, 3 TPE)
Pick up to 3 topics below to write about! Each topic is worth '1' TPE. Each answer must be 50 words or more.

1.  Between both rosters, create an all Challenge Cup starting lineup! (D, D, F, F, F, G) and in 50 words or more explain alittle about your selections.
C - Jason Visser
RW - Alex Light
LW - Zach Evans
D - Max Weber
D - Ludwig Koch Schroder
G - Artem Zhumbayev

This would be my dream lineup of the teams in the finals. Visser has been a great center in the league (arguably the best), and looks to keep improving. Light and Evans are two very, very good players for the Platoon and Jets respectivaly and deserve a spot on this list. Weber has been a great defenceman for the Jets for essentially his entire career, while Schroder hasn't been with the Platoon for very long, but is an incredible defenceman. I picked Zhumbayev for right now, but Bojo is coming up quickly through the ranks and should prove himself as an elite goalie in this league soon. (126)

2.  Which GM in the finals do you believe has the tactical/Managerial advantage and why?

I would have to say WKP does, simply because JR has had so much experience with the sim, as he sims the SMJHL and has been a GM at every level in this league. He's done a great job with the Platoon, and they look to keep winning because of many reasons, but primarily his elite management skills. (58)

5.  You want to buy tickets, hotel stay and airfair for one of the games in this series and you have to decide between a trip to West Kendall or Winnipeg.. what city did you choose and why?

West Kendall is the easy choice here, even though nobody knows exactly where it is. The reasoning behind this is... who the fuck wants to go to Winnipeg? Cold, nothing to do, the arena is small... What a trash can of a city. However, going to Florida always seems nice so that's my choice even though it's humid as fuck there. (61)

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

TASK 0: PBE Affiliation

In 150 words or more write about the top highlight of your season. whether it be your first goal, your first hat trick, first shutout, clinching playoffs, getting a career-high in something, etc. Must be hockey related.
I guess getting traded and all the drama that followed it doesn't really count so I will focus on the very first game with my new team - the Edmonton Blizzard. I didn't have many better performances in the season (apparent by just three stars of lowest quality) other than that 2 points, one goal and an assist with +/- of 3. It was one of the very times I eclipsed 20 played minutes too. That game certainly gave me the confidence to get through this difficult season and it was great playing alongside Oisin Fletcher at least for a few games. It is always important to start a season on a high note and against another team that is on the rise - Texas Renegades - it was great to see the team working well, with all its parts, goalie, forward lines and defensive pairings. Definitely set a tone and put the pedal to the medal as we were able to secure the top seed in the regular season and were able to make some noise in the playoffs.

Question: Before the start of the game little tammy threw 4 reese's peanut butter cups on the ice. 2 of them were skated over and crushed! (Ohhh No!!!)... how many peanut butter cups were NOT skated over?
Sent

TASK 8: (Written, 3 TPE)
Pick up to 3 topics below to write about! Each topic is worth '1' TPE. Each answer must be 50 words or more.
1. Between both rosters, create an all Challenge Cup starting lineup! (D, D, F, F, F, G) and in 50 words or more explain a little about your selections.
Ludwig Koch Schroder & Max Weber is the top pairing that guarantees impenetrable defence and plenty of the firepower.
With Jason Visser, Alex Light & Dani Forsberg is such a force that gets you everything, shooting, passing, winning every faceoff and deadly counter-attacks.
Beaujeaux Biscuit as a goalie makes this even more lopsided.
2. Which GM in the finals do you believe has the tactical/Managerial advantage and why?
According to the index I'm supposed to choose between He who has no equal or better and Flembae so according to my humble and lesser knowledge I believe Bojo is West Kendall Platoon representatives and he has an Ace in his sleeve or to be open about it it is very likely Pushkin calling all the strings and making selection of lines and strategy. With such experienced ice commander, they are unstoppable.
3. Between Beaujeaux Biscuit and Artom Zhumbayev which star goalie has the advantage over the other in this series?
So I picked Beaujeaux Biscuit to the Challenge Cup starting lineup and Bojo himself as having an advantage in tactical department, surely you think he is going to be picked here too? You guessed wrong. Artom Zhumbayev has higher ratings in the sim, especially his skating being 15 higher gives him immense benefits and he should have the advantage in the series.

In an effort to improve the product, the league has asked an outside source to look over the playoff lineups and determine which teams could have performed better.. Come up with a new set of lines for one of the teams eliminated in the playoffs, and explain why you made the choices you did. Must be at least 150 words.
So let's take a look at lines one of the contenders used - namely Edmonton Blizzard. They were effective against Calgary Dragon but enough for Winnipeg Jets:
5 vs 5 Forward
Center Left Wing Right Wing Time % Phy DF OF
1 Oisin Fletcher Cory Knouse Hercules Rockefeller 40 0 1 4
2 Teodors Cukurs DeMaricus Smyth Teddy Cuddles 35 0 1 4
3 Nikolaus Scholz Piotr Czerkawski Halfdan Thorstein 25 0 2 3
4 Oisin Fletcher Cory Knouse Teodors Cukurs 0 0 1 4
5 vs 5 Defense
Defense Defense Time % Phy DF OF
1 Tor Tuck Connor Tanner 45 0 4 1
2 Ensio Kalju Brady McIntyre 40 0 4 1
3 Chippy Chiclets Jack Hansen 15 0 4 1
4 Tor Tuck Connor Tanner 0 0 3 2

Instead, I would mix things up, because the first line and top-pairing clearly struggled to post -3 to -5 plus-minus rating. Let's go wild and do more ability fit than simple TPE ordering:
Center Left Wing Right Wing Time % Phy DF OF
1 Oisin Fletcher Hercules Rockefeller Teddy Cuddles 40 0 2 3
2 Teodors Cukurs DeMaricus Smyth Cory Knouse 35 0 2 3
3 Nikolaus Scholz Halfdan Thorstein Piotr Czerkawski 25 0 1 4
4 Oisin Fletcher Cory Knouse Teodors Cukurs 0 0 1 4
5 vs 5 Defense
Defense Defense Time % Phy DF OF
1 Tor Tuck Brady McIntyre 45 0 3 2
2 Ensio Kalju Connor Tanner 40 0 3 2
3 Chippy Chiclets Jack Hansen 15 0 4 1
4 Tor Tuck Connor Tanner 0 0 3 2
It really hasn't changed that much other than a more balanced approach and having more shooters on the top line. While the third line remains great you get slightly less risky setup and hope to exploit mismatches down the lower lines.

[Image: Too9kfy.png]
 Player Page  |  Update Page
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2018, 09:05 PM by Inf1d3l.)

Quote: TASK 1: (Written, 3 TPE)
Choose one team in the series and talk about the steps they took to make the finals. Was it a free agent signing, or an MVP player, or trades, etc. Must be 150 words.

When everyone else thought the Colorado Raptors were just working on a rebuild, Alaska and Kimmy had a plan. I still couldn't tell you how or why it worked so well, but in the process of picking up several future draft picks, they also rebranded the team for the image of the future. Players like Lillie Jacobs stepped up and powered the team into the finals, proving that they can be successful now, and even more dangerous in seasons to come. Also, the defensive presences on the ice (4 players in the top 10 for shots blocked) and physicality (top 3 players in hits in the playoffs) keeps their opponents in check and, win or lose, the Colorado Raptors can take away one major thing from this season. They traded often, and traded smart, and they  should be proud of what they achieved.

Quote:TASK 3: (Written, 3 TPE)
In 150 words or more write about the top highlight of your season. whether it be your first goal, your first hat trick, first shutout, clinching playoffs, getting a career high in something, etc. Must be hockey related.

I (Barret McCarthy) had an amazing season by most standards. Coming off a rookie season where I was fortunate enough to win the Four Star Cup, I followed it up by breaking into the record books a few times. Highlights of that would be an incredible 5 assist night against Kelowna that helped set the pace towards my breaking the Whalers all time single season assist record, and putting myself into a tie for 4th all-time SMJHL assists in a season with 42 and finished the season with a total of 50 points. I was also able to break into the records for Whalers single postseason shots blocked. Though these records are all impressive, I would never be able to pull it off without such an amazing team to work with. For that Im truly humbled and hope that I didn't just peak in my second overall season for my career.

Quote:TASK 4: (*CASUAL MEMBER SPECIAL* Send answer in PM, 3 TPE)

** Note: To receive credit for this task you must send the answer to me by forum PM.  Do not post the answer in this thread as you will not get credit... Please make the subject of the PM “CW Special” [Earn up to 3 TPE for this task. 1 TPE for participation, 2 additional TPE for the correct answer]

K I did the thing.

Quote:TASK 6: (Written, 3 TPE)

For this task I chose the Montreal Militia, who had an unfortunate early exit, losing their series four games to one. While I feel the lines aren't terrible there are a few minor changes I might make to attempt to improve the team overall.
Lines as of the First Round
Forwards
1 Derek Bohne-Jeff Brogen-Boris Denisovich
2 Kevin Kazarian-Willy Mack-Mason Hudson
3 Pavel Pivonka-Andreas Kvalheim-Daniel Daniil
4 Cody Johansen-Griffith Cadwalader-Hiro Fujikawa
Defense
1 Charlie Schieck-Sachimo Zoidberg Jr.
2 Willie Fisterbottom-Dinars Briedis
3 Marco Raanteli-Milo Momoka
4 Charlie Schieck-Phil Mcrakin

Moving Willy Mack to the first line I feel would make a better option and switching out Jeff Brogen. Sure Brogen might be a slightly better scorer, but Mack has the better positioning and defensive ability versus the opponents top lines, helping to score and prevent being scored upon easier. Also, the move would power the second line slightly better in terms of scoring for Brogen, who may have an easier time against other teams second lines.

On the defensive side, moving Sacimo Zoidberg Jr. off the first line and putting Willie Fisterbottom in his place would make a much better defensive pairing. Defense is the weakness for the Montreal Militia and they need to stack the top line better or they will lose the match-up, and Zoidberg's defensive ability is unfortunately lacking in this regard. Also swapping Dinars Briedis and Marco Raanteli would make a much better combination on the second line altogether and I feel would have given the Milita a much stronger chance to advance in the second round with just a few minor adjustments.

Quote:Task 8: (Written, 3 TPE)

1. Between both rosters, create an all Challenge Cup starting lineup! (D, D, F, F, F, G) and in 50 words or more explain alittle about your selections.
2. Which GM in the finals do you believe has the tactical/Managerial advantage and why?
3. Between Beaujeaux Biscuit and Artom Zhumbayev which star goalie has the advantage over the other in this series?
4. Choose 1 young player from each team (either on their roster or a prospect of theirs) who you believe will be there teams next great player and why?
5. You want to buy tickets, hotel stay and airfair for one of the games in this series and you have to decide between a trip to West Kendall or Winnipeg.. what city did you choose and why?

2. TML99 has been the the finals before, last year in fact, where his season unfortunately ended in a loss to the Vancouver Whalers. However, he can learn from past mistakes and take his coaching experience and finals preparations into this series, allowing himself an upper hand in readying himself for the final push towards the Four Star Cup.

4. Jakub Novak has made a real difference on the Colorado Raptors lines. despite the loss this season, he is poised to make a strong sophomore showing next season, and could easily be a first or second line winger for any tam. His ability to move the puck and shoot accurately makes him deadly, and though he may not be the fastest player on the ice, he's not afraid to block a few shots for the greater good.

5. Winnipeg seems like an amazing destination this time of year. I can go there and warm up inside the hockey rink from the outside temperatures, and watch some great hockey. And when the game is over, win or lose, I can head back out into the biting cold and purchase a tasy hot chocolate that will be cold long before I reach my hotel room again.

(This post was last modified: 12-13-2018, 03:46 PM by Mack.)

West Kendall Platoon are the defending champions but that didn't stop them from getting better this year. One of the areas they are really solid in is defense. Last year they already were solid but this year they have rookie Rex Kirkby on the third pairing and he has just been as good as it gets for a third pairing player. 1 Goal and 4 assists in in the first 12 games with a +3 rating and 17 hits. He kills penalties as well and just looks to be clearly ready for  the big show. Also near the end of the season they traded for veteran Cameron Dubois who is playing on the second pairing and doing a great job killing a lot of penalty minutes. He has 4 assists and is a plus player like most of the roster. These two have combined for 19 shot blocks as well and the depth of this WKP team just seems to be really stepping up.

TASK 2: (Graphic, 3 TPE)
Create a SHL Challenge Cup viewing party invitation! Must include a location for the party, a special guest appearance for your fans and a list of 2 events being held at the viewing party (i.e. Poker Tournament, Bean Bag Tournament, etc.)

[Image: lOgF2PU.png]

I spent my year in Montreal season as the Blizzard are very deep they won't be needing me anytime soon. Montreal had a tough year as we had strong team but really couldn't find any chemistry and struggled most of the season. We made the playoffs but went out in the first round to Colorado. I led the team in points/goals/shots playing on the second line so I had a good season but as a team it wasn't that fun. My biggest highlight was actually after we were eliminated and Edmonton called me up to the SHL for their round against Winnipeg. It was my first taste of SHL action and I loved every minute of the 4 total minutes I played. I played 4 minutes of penalty kill time in the 6 total games. While we lost to the Jets in 6 games, our penalty kill was perfect not giving them a single goal. I think my 4 minutes of action really helped the PK out and my 1 shorthanded shot on goal was something I will remember for the rest of my life.

** Note: To receive credit for this task you must send the answer to me by forum PM.  Do not post the answer in this thread as you will not get credit... Please make the subject of the PM “CW Special” [Earn up to 3 TPE for this task. 1 TPE for participation, 2 additional TPE for the correct answer]

PM has been sent - I only need 1 TPE from this to make 16.

I will look at my Edmonton Blizzard as I am not very familiar with the  SHL yet I don't really know the other teams too well. So here is the lines I would go with:

C - Teodors Cukurs LW - Hercules Rockefeller RW - Teddy Cuddles
C - Oisin Fletcher    LW - Cory Knouse            RW - DeMaricus Smyth
C - Nikolaus Scholz LW - Piotr Czerkawski       RW - Halfdan Thorstein

D - Brady McIntyre D - Connor Tanner
D - Tor Tuck           D - Ensio Kalju
D - Chippy Chiclets D - Jack Hansen

Basically the lines are very similar to what they played but I bumped Teddy Cuddles to the top line with his center Cukurs who make a great pair. I kept Hercules Rockefeller up there because dude is a boss and I think he will be the perfect third for those two. Fletcher is a star sniper and loves Knouse as a set up winger so those two stay together but they get a great goal scorer to clean up the mess with DeMaricus Smyth on their line now. I kept the third line the same. On defense I just bumped Brady McIntyre to the top pairing as he is one of the best passers in the league and I think he should be getting top pairing minutes with a great goal scoring defenseman like Connor Tanner. Tor Tuck on the second pairing with Kalju will be insanely hard for the competition. Third pairing remains the same.

2.  Which GM in the finals do you believe has the tactical/Managerial advantage and why?

I am going to go with JR95 of the WKP. He is the SMJHL simmer and he hangs out in my Montreal locker room and just seems like a great guy to deal with. He is always answering any questions we have about the sims and he has been around a long time on the site. I think he really has a great understanding of how to build a winning team. Winnipeg has a great manager but I don't know him very well so I will just go with WKP.

3.  Between Beaujeaux Biscuit and Artom Zhumbayev which star goalie has the advantage over the other in this series?

These two goalies are both as good as it gets and it's a really hard choice because they are both proven winners. I will say that Artom Zhumbayev has the advantage this year as he has a bit more rest from not winning a cup last year. He looked really good in the series against Edmonton and I think he can steal a game or 2 for the Jets.

5.  You want to buy tickets, hotel stay and airfair for one of the games in this series and you have to decide between a trip to West Kendall or Winnipeg.. what city did you choose and why?

West Kendall because prior to joining this league I didn't even know it existed. I would love to fly down to Florida as my grandma lives near West Palm Beach I could make a stop and visit her because family is first. We all know Winnipeg is just snow and sadness in the winter so why bother?

[Image: dVy6XWn.jpg]
[Image: 9POiosr.png]
First SHL goal on first SHL shot in first SHL game.

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2018, 07:48 PM by RomanesEuntDomus.)

The team I want to talk about is this seasons cinderella story, the Colorado Raptors. And this Raptors squads story actually begins almost three seasons ago, at the S42 SMJHL Entry Draft. Colorado had an amazing draft, hitting on almost all their picks and picking up multiple super valuable pieces with their later picks, including their current GM duo. It looked like the team was poised to win a cup eventually, or at least go dep into the playoffs, but fast forward two and a half seasons and these plans never came to fruition. Despite great individual development from the players, a series of GM changes and a weak S43 draft derailed the franchise on their quest for the cup and when the S44 trade deadline rolled around, GMs Alex Winters and Andrew Martin found themselves sitting outside of the playoffs and faced with a difficult decision. Should they keep the team together for one last run before the remaining S43 players are called up to the SHL next season, or should they rather sell now and pick up pieces for the future to build on an already strong S44 class. Well, it turns out you can do both. The Raptors traded almost all of their veterans away at the deadline for a big collection of draft picks, and yet the Raptors would still make it not just into the playoffs, but through the first two rounds and into the finals as well, where there magical journey was ultimately stopped by the St. Louis Scarecrows.

I hope this counts as hockey-related because my highlight probably was the trade deadline. It wasn't so much a highlight in that it felt great, but in that it was the most exciting and interesting moment of the season for me. After almost 40 seasons in this league, it marked the first time that one of my players was traded in juniors and it also was what eventually allowed me to win my very first Four Star Cup as well. At the same time however, it was really tough to leave my old team, the Colorado Raptors, behind. And the way the trade deadline went was just incredibly exciting and sometimes gut-wrenching for everyone involved, which was basically the entire Raptors-team - the GMs, veteran players and rookies alike. At the end of the day, half a dozen of us were traded away to different teams who looked more like contenders, after much deliberation about whether to even be a seller at the deadline or not. And ultimately it all culminated in a crazy playoff final series for me, where my new team got to meet my old team and, sadly I might say, ended their Cinderella run.

Done

The team I'm looking at will be the Anchorage Armada, who fell short to the Vancouver Whalers in a very close 7 game series. Now to be fair, the Armada don't exactly fall into the "teams who could have performed better" category. They were one of the outsiders going into the playoffs with quite a few holes in their rosters, so it's admirable that they even made it all the way to seven games. This is especially obvious when looking at their defense, as the team had no active goaltender and no defensemen over 300 TPE. I would leave the defense relatively unchanged hower, only swapping Karl von Wittelsbach and Jacob Geza to reward the active rookie with a bit more of a prominent role compared to the inactive vet. Vegeta Muerto could have moved up to the first as well for the same reasons, but he is needed to anchor the second paring and this way we also have one righ- and one left-shooter on each pairing. The 3rd pairing will remain unchanged with Stolp Skottson and Tucker Baloo, but receive more limited ice time than in the original version of the lines. I have already exceeded the word count so I won't talk about the forwards any more if that's okay, but just attach the lines below. One more not though: I don't believe using 4th lines or pairings until you have actual active players on them, so they are irrelevant in my proposal and set to 0%. However, I do think it is still important to NOT double-shift and mix your top-players into any of these lines, so your 4th line should either be filled with IFAs or by re-using one of your existing lines there, but set to 0%.

Xena - Mayfield - Bouchard / 35%
Colt - Bust - Niemi / 35%
Yoshimura - Dimmadome - Arsenich / 30%
Yoshimura - Dimmadome - Arsenich / 0%

Lockhart - Geza / 40%
Muerto - von Wittelsbach / 40%
Tucker Baloo - Stolp Skottson / 20%
Tucker Baloo - Stolp Skottson / 0%

Hank Scorpio
Larry Atta

1. Between both rosters, create an all Challenge Cup starting lineup! (D, D, F, F, F, G) and in 50 words or more explain alittle about your selections.

Zach Evans - Pietra Volkova - Dani Forsberg
Jon Ross - Ludwig Koch Schröder
Beaujeaux Biscuit

The SCOR(E) Line - All players who made an impact in the now defunct SCOR racing organisation, and a damn good lineup in the SHL although a bit on the older side at this point. There were a ton of great forwards to choose from so a few very deserving people had to miss out, whereas it was a bit tougher on defense as not a lot of blueliners from these two teams had found their way into racing.

4. Choose 1 young player from each team (either on their roster or a prospect of theirs) who you believe will be there teams next great player and why?

I would choose Troy McClure but does he even count as young player anymore? It feels like he just left juniors even though he is a S42 player and all but done with his ELC in this point. In fact, with the way he still hangs around SMJHL locker rooms and considering how little of an impact he has had for his SHL team so far, he reminds me of that weird guy who still keeps hanging around at his old school years after graduating. But I'm sure his... interest in todays youth is just his leadership qualities, right? Right?? Anyway, Troy is awesome and we all still have to call him Captain because reasons so that's cool.

5. You want to buy tickets, hotel stay and airfair for one of the games in this series and you have to decide between a trip to West Kendall or Winnipeg.. what city did you choose and why?

It's not the most exciting location but I have to go with Winnipeg here, simply for the fact that it isn't West Kendall. I'm sure everyone who knows the actual story behind the teams location will understand why. West Kendall might have better weather and a franchise that is quite tough to dislike nowadays, but I will still go with the more traditional hockey market in Winnipeg and its crazy fans.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2018, 02:02 PM by caltroit_red_flames.)

NSFL Welfare Claim
NSFL PT

Task #1
Code:
This season there was a very obvious and important addition to the Winnipeg Jets that made a huge difference for them. This one hits home because the player was expected to sign in Edmonton after the Blizzard traded for his rights. That player of course is defenseman Spitfire. Spitfire slotted in on the first line to allow Gary Grease to take a secondary role to give the team a lot more depth at defense. Although Spitfire isn't the kind of player that is going to knock your socks off with his individual talent, but he is definitely good enough to facilitate a top pairing defenseman or hold down the 2nd pair. And boy did he do what was expected. 34 points with 29 of them being assists while being +20. That's nothing to sneeze at! Without Spitfire the Jets are likely forced to move Grease to the top pair and Troy McClure III to the 2nd pair which immediately makes them a much worse team. This was a grade A signing by FlappyGiraffe.

Task #3
Code:
The highlight of my season is really just how much I felt like I improved overall from my previous seasons. In my first three seasons in the SHL I got 2 goals and 9 assits, 6 goals and 13 assists, and 3 goals and 20 assists. Now coming into this season there was a bit of a shakeup on defense. We traded for Kalju who would become my defensive partner and Chippy being sent to the third line to help with Hansen. I really felt like I was able to play to the fullest of my potential. By the end of this season I had 10 goals and 38 assists. Both of these are personal bests, and 38 assists was tied for the most in the league with my own teammate Tor Tuck. I actually more than doubled the number of points I had in the previous season! It was a heck of a breakout season, and although I plan on playing just as well next season, I don't think I'll ever feel as great as I did at the end of this season when I saw that I had played all 50 games like an all star.

Task #6
Code:
Personally I think the Edmonton Blizzard were eliminated from the playoffs far too early for their talent level. Looking at the lines I have to say there are some pretty obvious changes that could have been made to improve the team's chances of advancing. To start with, Teddy Cuddles was one of the top players on this team by far and was playing 2nd line minutes. For the sake of keeping the 2 scorers/1 passer rule in tact I'll say that Rockefeller should be swapped to the 2nd line for Cuddles to go to the 1st line. Next, if I'm being frank the difference between the top 6 and the 3rd line is pretty big, and these are elite hockey players we're talking about. I'd bet the top 6 could play many more minutes than they did. For that reason I'd say the minute distribution should have been: 45 - 45 - 10. With how much training these players do I'd be really surprised if they got tired. Finally, Chippy Chiclets should have moved back up to the 2nd pair. Kalju and McIntyre had chemistry in the regular season, but things change. Chiclets are the current moment is the more talented guy, give him the opportunity to put the puck in the net like he did all last season!

Task #8
Code:

2.  Which GM in the finals do you believe has the tactical/Managerial advantage and why?
3.  Between Beaujeaux Biscuit and Artom Zhumbayev which star goalie has the advantage over the other in this series?
4.  Choose 1 young player from each team (either on their roster or a prospect of theirs) who you believe will be there teams next great player and why?
At this point I really think you have to go with FlappyGiraffe. Sure he's a younger GM than Bojo, but with how much success he's had I don't think can really ignore him. He's looking like a young GMing prodigy to me honestly. Now you might say he was gifted a championship team by the previous GM, but he's had to put in the work to make the lines mesh and he's done that very well.

Beaujeaux Biscuit. You can't argue that Bojo hasn't created an all start level goalie, he's one of the best goalies in the league by a mile. Zhumbayev is more than capable obviously, but it's like choosing between Gary Grease and Troy McClure III. Both are great, but turning down Grease would be foolish.

I have to go with the Jets' young player Nictox Williams. Yes he's extremely young and who knows if he has what it takes to make the roster next season, but being a Scarecrows alumni and watching them go on a cup winning run this year with Williams as the captain I saw first hand that he has the skill and temperament to not only be a great player but also be a captain in the SHL some day.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2018, 01:06 PM by CanadianDuck.)

Task 1:

In today's breakdown of the SHL Finals between Winnipeg and West Kendall, we will be looking at the West Kendall Platoon path to the finals. 

The line of Alex Light, Dani Forsberg, and Dionyz Vyskoc had an amazing season, combining for an impressive 133 points! This line led the way right into the playoffs. Lights 25 goals was the most of any Platoon player. Beaujeaux Biscuit had an impressive season with a 0.910 SV% and a GAA of 2.66. As for underated heros, Florence Clijsters the 3rd line Center scored 16 goals and 17 assists. Having such a good season on the 3rd line is key for any Championship hungry team. And as for a big future piece, Rex Kirkby had 18 points in his first season and looks to be a key piece for West Kendall in the future.

Task 3: 

The highlight of the season for the St. Louis Scarecrows so far is a pretty obvious one. The Game 7 victory against the Vancouver Whalers to advance to the Four Star Cup Finals was the big moment. Being down 3-1 in the series, it looked like the Scarecrows were set to bow down to the Whalers once again. The Crown refused to bend the knee and fought back winning the next 2 games and forcing a Game 7. Both teams came to play and made this one a game to remember. Being tied 2-2 since 11:11 of the first, both teams exchanged chances that were stopped by both amazing goalies. Finally at 7:35 of the final frame, Adam Taylor finished off the amazing comeback.

Task 8: 

1. Today I will be making an All Star lineup from the two remaining teams in the finals, the West Kendall Platoon and the Winnipeg Jets. I will be choosing 3 players from each team to keep it even.

F- Jason Visser (WIN)
F- Trevor Wilson (WKP)
F- Dani Forsberg (WKP)
D- Jon Ross (WKP)
D- Gary Grease (WIN)
G- Artom Zhumbayev (WIN)

3. In the Goalie match up in this series I give the slight edge to Artom Zhumbayev. So far in these playoffs, Artom has had both a better GAA (2.34 > 2.65) and SV% (0.927 > 0.916) than Beaujeaux Biscuit. Biscuit does however have 2 shutouts whereas Zhumbayev has yet to blank a team.

4. The future of both teams looks to be in good hands with the young players making impacts already for their respective clubs. For Winnipeg, Ignatius Blunt has 3 points in these playoffs and looks to be a solid piece in the future. Rex Kirkby is already looking to be one of the best Defenders for the Platoon. 5 points in 12 games is very good for a rookie defensemen in the SHL.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2018, 08:35 PM by DrunkenTeddy.)

Code:
TASK 2: (Graphic, 3 TPE)
Create a SHL Challenge Cup viewing party invitation! Must include a location for the party, a special guest appearance for your fans and a list of 2 events being held at the viewing party (i.e. Poker Tournament, Bean Bag Tournament, etc.)
TBD

Code:

PM sent.

Code:
TASK 7: (Graphic, 3 TPE)
The SHL has teamed up with the United Postal Service to create a commemorative challenge Cup stamp collection. Create a postage stamp with a player in the series. Must include their render, player name, and the monetary amount of the stamp.
TBD

Code:

3.  Between Beaujeaux Biscuit and Artom Zhumbayev which star goalie has the advantage over the other in this series?
2. I think you pretty clearly have to give the edge to JR. He's been at the helm of WKP for a while now and before that had experience GMing other teams. He's been to the finals before and was able to take home the cup. Clearly he must be doing something right. This is definitely not intended as an indictment of Flappy, who is also a great GM, but is definitely behind JR when it comes to experience.
3. I love me some Bojo, but Zhumbayev is in his prime, the guy is pretty much as good as he is going to get this season and that's pretty damn good. Now we all know after a certain point in TPE with STHS these guys aren't going to be all that different and if I was taking defense and other aspects into account I may give the edge to Bojo, but as for the goalie himself, it's Zhumbayev hands down.
5. I have been to Winnipeg... Almost every eastern team has a more appealing destination to fly into and stay for a night than the peg. It's boring there and the roads are shaped like a wagon wheel just to confuse out of towners. I'll take Miami over that any day. Bring on the bikinis and drinks on the beach!

Code:
Task 10: (Podcast, 3 or 4 TPE)
The SHL Network is excited to announce extended coverage of the S44 Playoffs through your speakers! From hit podcasts to fresh new voices.. submit your mini-pod and earn TPE! What you talk about is up to you, the only criteria is that all Mini-Pods should be post season or Championship Series related. Here are the details below:

1 Man Mini-Pod: 3 TPE for 5 minutes or 4 TPE for 7 Minutes
2 Man Mini-Pod: 3 TPE for 6 Minutes or 4 TPE for 8 Minutes

** Note: To earn credit for this task, post your Mini-Pod in the link below. then link that post back to PT.
http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91071&pid=2533615#pid2533615
http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.p...pid2538793

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Task 4 Pmed
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2018, 06:48 PM by AW13.)

1. TASK 2: (Graphic, 3 TPE)
[Image: 2018-12-12-14-55-20-Window.png]

2. Affiliate
NSFL PT Username: AndrewWarren13

3. TASK 4: (*CASUAL MEMBER SPECIAL* Send answer in PM, 3 TPE)
Sent PM to Mike Izzy

4. TASK 7: (Graphic, 3 TPE)
The SHL has teamed up with the United Postal Service to create a commemorative challenge Cup stamp collection. Create a postage stamp with a player in the series. Must include their render, player name, and the monetary amount of the stamp.
[Image: 2018-12-12-15-28-28-Window.png]

5. TASK 3: (Written, 3 TPE)
In 150 words or more write about the top highlight of your season. whether it be your first goal, your first hat trick, first shutout, clinching playoffs, getting a career-high in something, etc. Must be hockey related.

It was a struggle for a lot of Season 44 for Johannes Leitner but overall, he did have some games where he did well and the team overall, did still play well. After losing a lot of top defensemen to the SHL, the Vancouver Whalers' defense was definitely diminished and it caused for Leitner to have to face a lot of shots. Overall, his stats were not great and they were down from the last season where he had 31 wins which was a top mark in the Whalers' history. This season, however, Leitner was able to climb into some all-time rankings for Vancouver in terms of wins ranking amongst the tops in Whalers' history for wins in both the regular season and playoff wins. He looks to get the call-up from New England this coming season so he won't be able to climb the record books any longer but even with a bit of a struggling season, Leitner will go down as one of the top goalies in Vancouver Whalers' history.

[Image: bgwUtVZ.png]

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2018, 07:43 PM by Kmarko.)

Task 1
Why fix what isn't broken? West Kendall is going for the repeat with a near identical squad to what they had last year when they won the cup. Their defensive core looks a little bit different, losing veteran Noctis Caelum to retirement and bringing up rookie Rex Kirkby to take his place. They bolstered their blue line mid season by trading for depth dman Cameron Dubois from New England. The small tweaks West Kendall had to make have worked out, and they find themselves in another finals. Kirkby and Dubois have both played their role on the team impeccably, combining for 9 points and a +5 in this seasons playoffs. Though Dubois might have been a temporary plug in for the championship run, Kirkby looks to be a future leader of this defense, and is gaining valuable playoff experience. If the Platoon can continue to develop internally the way they did with Kirkby, they'll be contenders for a long time.

Task 3
Crawfling's highlight of the season was his unexpected departure from Seattle to Manhattan. It was a whirlwind of a day, finding out he had been traded for a 2nd round pick via a TSN instagram post. Crawfling was asked to stay down, as the team didn't seem to be in a position to compete and he needed further development in the minors. It was an uneventful year for the Rage as expected, but the team's bright future is what made this trade the highlight of Crawfling's season. Crawfling had found a home in Seattle, and felt betrayed when he was shipped out after only a handful of SHL starts. It was nice to see Seattle implode immediately after, going through a plethora of GMs and trading away many of Crawfling's former teammates. He was glad to escape the dumpster before the fire was lit, and have a fresh start with the up and coming Manhattan Rage.

Task 4
PMed

Task 6
The Calgary Dragons were bounced from the first round of the playoffs 4-1 by the regular season champs, the Edmonton Blizzard. Though many saw this as a easy series for the Blizzard, I expected more from the Dragons. They have more veteran players who know what it takes to win cups, and more superstars. The Blizzard have incredible depth on their team, and were able to beat the Dragons with their 3rd and 4th lines. If I coached the Dragons I would have tried to spread their superstar talent throughout all the lines and given them even playing time, As opposed to relying on your top 2 lines for 75% of the game. Roman Augustus, a stud in the faceoff circle, only took 6th faceoffs because he was on a line with Mike Izzy. I would have bumped the power forward Izzy down to the 3rd line center and boosted their playing time, while moving augustus to 1st line center, improving faceoffs across all 4 lines and allowing Izzy to wreak havoc against the Blizzards role players.

Task 7
All Challenge cup lineup
Jason Viser - Dani Forsberg - Zach Evans
Ludwig Koch Schroder - Gary Grease
Beaujeaux Biscuit
This top line is ridiculous. You have a Patty Kane - Artemi Panarin-esque combo in Evans and Viser, both dangling playmakers who can go bar down at will. Then you have Forsberg providing Ovechkin like grit. Opponents would be quivering in their skates. Schroder and Grease make the ideal O-dman/2 way dman combo, comparable to Keith and Seabrook (in their prime). Then theres Bojo. Who wouldnt want the biscuit tending their goal?

Bojo versus Zhumbayev is a tough debate, both being elite goaltenders. Bojo has the edge in his savemaking ability, but Zhumbayev is the more athletic goalie, which sometimes really shines for Winnipeg. They had nearly identical statistics throughout the regular season. Right now I am taking Zhumbayev over Bojo, because he's hot. You need a hot goalie to win the playoffs, and right now Zhumbayev is unstoppable.

Honestly who the fuck would want to go to either of these cities? Not me. This is a finals I'd skip out on. But apparently I've been forced to make a decision, so I'm packing my bags and heading to West Kendall. The city itself sucks, but at least I can pop over to Miami for a good time.

[Image: Crawfling2.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2018, 09:45 PM by Ragnar.)

Task 1:

The West Kendall Platoon are a model of consistency. There isn’t much to do when you’ve won the Challenge Cup twice in three seasons, and missed the playoffs only three times since season 25. If that isn’t consistency, then I don’t know what is. Though I don’t know much about WKP since I have only recently came back, I can only assume that the management for this team has just tried to remain consistent in every single way possible. In who they draft, in how they build their players, in how they set their lines, etc. consistency seems to be the most important thing for any team to be successful, and if any team can prove that, it’s the West Kendall Platoon. I’m not sure of a franchise that has been more successful in recent seasons, at least not nearly as successful as WKP, and that’s really all that needs to be said.

Task 2:

Task 3:

The high point of my season this past year has definitely been getting my career high in points. I was blown away by just how much I improved and helped my team out with making it into the playoffs. Though I wish I would have hit more, in glad I at least got way more points than the year previous. Also, of course, making the playoffs was a big deal as well. On top of making the playoffs, I had a point per game pace going. We ended up getting eliminated in five games, but I had five points in those five games, so I’m pretty happy with that. On an individual performance level, I’m extremely happy with my play overall. Of course I’m disappointed that we didn’t end up going all the way, but hopefully next season we’ll be able to win it all in what is most likely going to be my last season in Montreal.

Task 4: Done

Task 5:

Task 6:

If the Los Angeles Panthers would have called up Willie Fisterbottom they would have probably already swept every single team in the playoffs and won a challenge cup by now. Willie would have put up 30 points MINIMUM and won every piece of hardware in the entire league. I’m still baffled what Wasty was thinking in not putting Willie Fisterbottom into the line up this season, but he’s obviously kicking himself now, as he should be. Fisterbottom would have brought a whole new element to the team, mostly an element of sick ass saucer passes and a chippy style of defense that would put SHL players on fucking notice. But instead, they chose to leave him in the SMJHL, where he scored at a point per game pace in the playoffs down there.

“I regret it totally. Also I smell.” said @Wasty when asked about why he didn’t call Fisterbottom up last season.

Task 7:

Task 8:

Task 9:

Task 10:

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2018, 12:07 AM by GoonerBear.)

NSFL Welfare for one task

Code:

The West Kendall Platoon had a load of my doubts coming into the postseason. Sure, they had beaten longer odds to win the Cup last season, though could they do it again with a team that, well, was largely the same core that finished with the 10th-best record just a season ago? They made the Finals through a less-than-favorable path through the East, though, taking down a heavily favored Steelhawks in 5 and pulling out Game 7 from under the perpetual contender Chiefs. Throughout their run, Dani Forsberg pulled through as their leading force. Playing a physical offensive game throughout this postseason, he scored 10 goals, picked up 10 assists, threw 74 hits and got 62 shots on goal. He would pay for his play with 28 PIM in playoffs, though he made quite the impact for the defending champions and should still lead the charge next season as the potential for a trilogy looms on the horizon.

Code:

The highlight of our season was the early run we made at contending in the Eastern Conference. After the first leg of the regular season, we were sitting in 3rd and on a path to end our postseason drought. And if the West Kendall Platoon could win a Cup after finishing with the 10th-best record, all we had to do was hold and make it and we could beat anyone. Amid this run, we ran off five consecutive victories - two over Buffalo, one over Toronto and two over West Kendall. I had personally been on the uptick in this spree as well, picking up 3 assists, 10 hits and 10 shot blocks from the defensive defenseman position, including 6 blocks in the first game against the Platoon. Though that streak would ultimately end and the well tapped out long before the season ended, it helps going into next season to remember that and figure "there's a way we could make that kind of play our normal form. We just need to find it." (174)

Code:

Answered. Hang onto your Reese's next time, kid.

Code:

1.  Between both rosters, create an all Challenge Cup starting lineup! (D, D, F, F, F, G) and in 50 words or more explain alittle about your selections.
4.  Choose 1 young player from each team (either on their roster or a prospect of theirs) who you believe will be there teams next great player and why?
5.  You want to buy tickets, hotel stay and airfare for one of the games in this series and you have to decide between a trip to West Kendall or Winnipeg. what city did you choose and why?

1, F - Dani Forsberg Platoon | Alex Light Platoon | Zach Evans Jets
D - Jon Ross Platoon | Max Weber Jets
G - Artom Zhumbayev Jets

A good mix from both teams, on the forward lines, we have three of the top-scoring forwards of playoffs plus a little bit of rounding out in the physical play department so they have a balance between finesse passes, shots and checks. On the defensive line, Ross pitches in as one of the leading defensemen in scoring as well as shot blocking and Weber pitches in similarly. Between the two keepers, Zhumbayev simply had the better playoff run, more wins and a better save percentage. (85)

4. Platoon Rex Kirkby is already getting after it in his training and played a bit of a factor during the postseason. 1 goal, 6 assists in playoffs, third in scoring among D-men on WKP's third line and scoring almost half a point per 20 minutes already? He's got potential once he's good enough to fill some bigger minutes.

Jets Troy McClure III, while not as flashy on offense, gets the gritty work done for his club. Coming in with 38 hits over the postseason and blocking 25 shots, he's done well on the other way of the two-way style. He should be a solid foundation in the future for the physicality needed from their blue line. (114)

5. I'm choosing to go to Winnipeg. The cold suits me better personally and Miami has some issues. While the Platoon are well-organized, the same cannot be said for the rest of their sports ownership neighbors, including those who attempted to secure the rights to build a stadium on a golf course built atop a dumping site for toxic incinerator ash. And they want to try to build up hotels and stuff when their feature presentation will play over that? Send me to Canada. (84)

Speedwagon Player Page | Speedwagon Updates Page 

[Image: speedwagongifsig.gif]

[Image: GoonerBear.gif]
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2018, 11:50 AM by Moosecop.)

NSFL PT

Task 4:
Sent

Task 2:
[Image: 2MkWm1u.png]

Sent.

TASK 5: (Graphic, 3 TPE)
Make a graphic matching up a "Player To Watch" on each team in the finals. Must include their renders, player names, team logos, and a player statistics for each.

TASK 7: (Graphic, 3 TPE)
[Image: Y4u3CUY.png]

Task 9: (Graphic, 3 TPE)
Theres a tattoo parlor right outside of the arena offering 50% off all challenge cup related tats and they need your help! Make a tattoo of a player in the finals with their name underneath it and add it somewhere on the customers body. post of a pic of the results!
[Image: 1MOq1lW.png]

[Image: NiclasWastlund26.gif]
#40 Niclas Wastlund - W - VANCOUVER WHALERS Whalers / MINNESOTA MONARCHS Monarchs
[Image: vlPUU9v.png][Image: ammBPLt.png][Image: rnZeas5.png][Image: V9MXpXR.png]