Create Account

S44 Championship Week

TASK 4: (*CASUAL MEMBER SPECIAL* Send answer in PM, 3 TPE)
PM sent
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2018, 10:52 PM by drodger91.)

Task 1

Another SHL season has come and gone, and with the playoffs now nearing their own end, we finally meet for the S44 Challenge Cup Finals! This year we see the west represented with the Winnipeg Jets, and hailing from the east is West Kendall Platoon. West Kendall blasted their way in by pure strength alone, with some of the most elite scorers in the SHL. Dani Forsberg, and Trevor Wilson led the team with 20 points respectively, but we know how they get those points are very different. Forsberg lit the lamp for 10 goals in 18 games in the post season, while Wilson was the benefactor of those by being the slick setup man with 14 assists in as many games. It’s a very different story coming from Winnipeg. I mean Zach Evans always shows up and puts on a great game, but Artom Zhumbayev back stopped this team with a 12-6 record accompanied by a .915 save percentage and 2.67 goals against. So I guess you could say it will be the unstoppable force meeting an immovable object for this finals, should be a good one!

Task 3

Artemi Berezin had a rather quiet season. This was quite the transitional year for the Wolfpack with a significant head office change. Berezin’s highlight of his year had to be when he was seeing significant time on the man advantage and PP with the Wolfpack and seeing the development of the young stars of the team right before his eyes. Rafe Ulrich, Manuel Gotze and Kristaps Ball took massive steps forward in S44 and it was a delight to see.
Berezin found himself in more of a playmaking role than he’s historically seen. With the newly acquired centerman Tigole Bitties arriving in New England, he found himself looking to make plays to the big Greenlander centerman. The real highlight of the season for probably most on the Wolfpack were when New England went on a 9-0-1 run to surge back into the playoff picture. At one point we were within three points of entering the postseason but our record came back down to earth.

Task 4 - sent

Task 8

1. You could literally have an all-star team with just picking a starting lineup between these two power house teams, but let’s give it a shot! Up front you need Zach Evans, Dani Forsberg, and Trevor Wilson. I mean these guys combine for 59 points in 18 games?! Outrageous! On the points, I’ll add some more power with Jon Ross and Max Weber who had 16 and 14 points respectively, and it really shouldn’t be a surprise who would back stop this team, Artom Zhumbayev, and that name should be enough of an explanation.

3. Beaujeaux Biscuit, and Artom Zhumbayev both are elite goalies, and it would be hard to pick one to really give the advantage to but I would give Beaujeaux the overall advantage just because of the fire power he has in front of him, but that shouldn’t discount the fact that Artom could back stop any team in this league to a cup run because he is just that good.

4. You don’t have to look far to find two future great players from either team who showed up and made a difference even in these playoffs. Rex Kirkby from the Platoon had a very respective 7 points in 18 games as a rookie defensemen. And from Winnipeg you have Ignatius Blunt who helped his teams playoff run with 3 points in 18 games but the real stat is the no penalty minutes with averaging just under 15 minutes a game, anytime you can stay out of the box and score is a good time.

[Image: WtrC9qy.png]

FalconsJapanpride

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2018, 12:53 PM by Carbine.)

Task 1: Seeing that the Jets have won now, it's easy to assume that everything they've done this season could be seen as the 'right move'. In reality, they've been stacked for a few seasons now. But the addition of Spitfire this past season has solidified one of the top defensive corps in the league to the point where they could be considered the best by a decent margin (or at least in my narrow view of the league at the moment). Max Weber and Gary Grease are by far their top defensemen, no debating that. But adding one of the Wolfpack's former top defenders has allowed the team to effectively run a 1-2 punch on the back end that few can rival. The point totals and ice time will confirm this. Spitfire finished 2nd in team scoring this season (among defensemen) while playing 2nd pairing minutes and seeing top PP time. Even in the playoffs the above statement holds true. The Jets get scoring throughout their lineup anyways, but the addition of Spitfire could have been seen as a move that really put this Jets lineup over the top. (188 words)

Task 3: I've been away from the league for several weeks now, so the biggest highlight for Andani is probably the fact that I updated for once lol. Seriously though, The 10 game unbeaten streak for the club this season is one of the bright spots for a team that is in transition. It's unfortunate we were unable to sneak into the playoffs again, but the talent level between the club this season and last season is night and day. The improved draft position will be of greater use to the club than a mid-rebuild playoff appearance. Another positive for Andani specifically is his continued improvement on his offensive game. He cracked 20 points this season (up from around 13, I believe) and is due for a promotion in the depth chart in the next 2 seasons. I'm also hoping to be more active because of it. Hopefully these changes will pay dividends on his offensive output. (155 words)

Task 4: PM Sent

[Image: Carbine.gif]
Sig Credit: Suavemente, rum_ham, Turd Ferguson

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

[Image: 711381262207811636.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2018, 12:10 PM by JT3.)

Task 1:
The Winnipeg Jets came in to season 44 with another strong team, although with a couple of depth losses in forward Connor Blackwell and defenseman Viatcheslav Orlov. This was no problem for the Jets though with the signing of star D, Spitfire, and the elevated play of their young guns, Lil Manious and Gary Grease. The Jets took over the playoffs with their fantastic depth scoring. They first toppled the Los Angeles Panthers in 7 games where the Panthers didn’t have too many answers to the Jets depth. They then moved on to the second round to face off against a new look, but very strong Edmonton Blizzard team. Edmonton put up a quick fight but again couldn’t handle the depth and star power of the Jets, and were promptly defeated in a 4-2 series. Finally the Jets managed to finish the job this season, defeating the defending champs West Kendall Platoon to take home the Challenge Cup.

Task 2:
[Image: Cn3lBuC.jpg]

Task 3:
Coming into S44 Jon Toner was really hoping to take that next stop offensively, and early on in the season it was looking like that might be the case. In game 3 of the season Toner stepped up big time potting 2 goals in the game, including the game winner to send the Panthers home with a 5-4 win against bitter rivals and last years first round playoff opponent, the Seattle Riot. Toner took home the 1st star of the game, his first and only of the season. It was the start of what he hoped would be a strong offensive season but slowly he fell off to closer to a .5PPG pace, potting a point or so every few games. But Toner showed what kind of things he can do in that game against the Riot. Hopefully next season he can carry on with his potential and put up some solid points, and he’s going to need to with Toivo Kosonen moving on as Toner will be thrust into a top pairing role.

Task 4:
Sent

Task 8:
1)
LW – Dani Forsberg. Forsberg can bring the pain physically being the top hitter in the league, and he’s no slouch offensively either being a PPG guy.
C – Jason Visser. Can’t argue against one of the top offensive players, if not the top, of his generation.
RW – Alex Light. Fantastic two way forward who can chip in offense to boot. Very much a similar player to Marian Hossa.
D – Ludwig Koch Schroder. One of the top all round D’s in the league who is a top 10 TPE earner all time.
D – Max Weber. Last years top defensemen in the league can do it all.
G – Beajeux Biscuit. Gotta be on your game to score against this guy. He is GOOD.

2)
FlappyGiraffe has come into the Winnipeg head office and done a spectacular job managing the team and nobody can deny his strategic ability, but it’s hard to go against the West Kendall front office. Boasting both of Jon Ross and Bojo Biscuit, these guys know how to run a team and how to implement the strategies to get their team the win.

5)
Is this a serious question? If I had to choose between shitty ass cold as fuck Winnipeg or sunny warm West Kendall in southern Florida it wouldn’t even be a competition. I’d be flying down to West Kendall before Winnipegers could say Icy Cold Handjob. Plus I don’t really feel like getting stabbed.

[Image: jjfrankiejj.gif]
Credits to OrbitingDeath, Tweedle, Incite, Wasty, and Slothfacekilla for sigs!

Player Profile | Update Page
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2018, 12:40 PM by WannabeFinn.)

Task 1

The Winnipeg Jets have done a tremendous job of retaining their core players over the past several seasons, many of whom performed well in the playoffs. However, their offseason acquisition of defenseman Spitfire can not be overlooked or understated. His presence solidified the Jets' top 4 defense group and gave them a weapon on special teams (4 powerplay points and a team-leading 46 minutes on the penalty kill en route to winning the Challenge Cup).

Other additions to the roster in the form of Lil Manius, Ignatius Blunt, Nicholas Williams, and Ola Wagstrom added some nice depth to Winnipeg's group of forwards. Manius had the largest impact of these players, posting 4 points and 32 hits in the postseason. Contributions like this in the bottom 6 are crucial for playoff teams. Despite only playing 5 total minutes across 2 games in the Challenge Cup finals, Nicholas Williams managed to score a goal on his first and only shot, giving the Jets a 1-0 lead in their Cup-winning Game 6.

Task 3

Season 44 was a truly disappointing season overall for the Buffalo Stampede, but Tatu Makela was able to post a career-high in assists and points. Over the course of the 50 game season, Makela managed to assist on 28 goals and added on 6 goals of his own to make a grand total of 34 points, beating his previous high in assists by 4 and high in points by 3. Makela also recorded a career best in shots on goal, boosting his total from 50 shots on goal to 86 shots on goal over the course of a season, besting his Season 41 mark by 6 shots. Makela also tallied an assist on a shorthanded goal this season, the first of his career. Since joining the Stampede in Season 40, Makela has been a mainstay on the penalty killing units, but it took him until his 5th season in the league to help out on a shorthanded tally.

Task 4

PM'd

Task 6

NSFL PT

Task 8

1. Between both rosters, create an all Challenge Cup starting lineup! (D, D, F, F, F, G) and in 50 words or more explain alittle about your selections.

F - Jason Visser
F - Zach Evans
F - Dani Forsberg
D - Jon Ross
D - Max Weber
G - Artom Zhumbayev

Jason Visser is the best center to play for either team, so he's a no brainer here. Evans produced at above a point per game clip in the postseason while keeping his nose clean and recording 0 penalty minutes. Dani Forsberg league both teams in scoring, with 10 goals and 20 points. Jon Ross and Max Weber both played like #1 defensemen that Championship teams rely on heavily. Zhumbayev played like a man on a mission, winning 12 of his 18 games.

3. Between Beaujeaux Biscuit and Artom Zhumbayev which star goalie has the advantage over the other in this series?

Beaujeaux Biscuit may be the younger and hotter goalie, but Zhumbayev has shown time and time again that he is an elite player in this league, especially with the group of skaters that Winnipeg has in front of him. I firmly believe that Zhumbayev would carry the Jets to a win over Biscuit and the Platoon 7 times out of 10. This will likely change in the near future as Zhumbayev and the rest of the Jets age, but for now he's the dominant starter in net.

5. You want to buy tickets, hotel stay and airfair for one of the games in this series and you have to decide between a trip to West Kendall or Winnipeg.. what city did you choose and why?

I am absolutely choosing West Kendall and it's not even close. Travelling to West Kendall doesn't require crossing borders and it's an infinitely warmer city than Winnipeg. West Kendall is close to the city of Miami and lovely South Beach. Winnipeg... is in the middle of nowhere, pretty much. While Winnipeg has its positives, I'm taking the trip to West Kendall ever single time.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

TASK 5: (Graphic, 3 TPE)
Make a graphic matching up a "Player To Watch" on each team in the finals. Must include their renders, player names, team logos, and a player statistics for each.

[Image: R6VonNw.jpg]

[Image: HansSHL.gif]

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2018, 08:16 PM by Bayley.)

Code:
TASK 1: (Written, 3 TPE)
Choose one team in the series and talk about the steps they took to make the finals. Was it a free agent signing, or an MVP player, or trades, etc. Must be 150 words.

We will look at the Winnipeg Jets here today people. When you look at what this team has done, they have Jason Visser, Maurizio Arrivabene, Zach Evans, Max Weber, Corey Bearss, Crossfit Jesus, and Pietra Volkova that all had over 40 points this season. When you are wanting to have a team spread out so that many different people have the ability to be effective and impact a series, that is going to be the key. I mean, Kyle Kylrad and Arrivabene both had 20 goals this season with Evans leading the assists with 31. You want to know how to create a winning team? Have one that can be dangerous on many different lines. That is what Winnipeg has. How about having a goalie like Artom Zhumbayev who went 24-14 with a 2.64 GAA. I think that is going to be a great way to be successful in any league. It is not about one, it is about all.
Quote:Words: 160
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Code:
TASK 3: (Written, 3 TPE)
In 150 words or more write about the top highlight of your season. whether it be your first goal, your first hat trick, first shutout, clinching playoffs, getting a career high in something, etc. Must be hockey related.

The highlight of my season was not sucking very terribly. My past few seasons were really bad. I mean, I have over 1,000 TPE, I should be able to figure out how to do anything, well, up until this season, I really did not do much, so I have to look at this as something that is a highlight. In this season, I was second on the team in goals with 18 and I also added 16 assists to that 18 goals for a total of 34 points. Obviously, it is not the greatest, but I think I will put it on the board for a successful season. You want to know what I think about that, I am happy. I was -4 which is bad, but we also sucked this year, so I have to say that I am happy with that. TJ Bayley usually sucks, but I did okay this season, I count it a win.
Quote:Words: 158
Code:
TASK 4: (*CASUAL MEMBER SPECIAL* Send answer in PM, 3 TPE)
Question: Before the start of the game little tammy threw 4 reese's peanut butter cups on the ice. 2 of them were skated over and crushed! (Ohhh No!!!)... how many peanut butter cups were NOT skated over?

PM sent
Code:
TASK 6: (Written, 3 TPE)
In an effort to improve the product, the league has asked an outside source to look over the playoff lineups and determine which teams could have performed better.. Come up with a new set of lines for one of the teams eliminated in the playoffs, and explain why you made the choices you did. Must be at least 150 words.

I am actually going to pick a team that should have been in the playoffs but was not, the Buffalo Stampede. The first thing that the team should have done is take TJ Bayley and make him the water boy because he was not very good. You need to get him out of the lineup and on the bench. I do hear that he made some good water, but in the lineup, not so much. I would have the first line of Luke Atmey, Dermot Lavelle and Viktor Marius. I would then put Nico Gross, Viktor Vorkampfer, and Flacko Lagerfield on the second line. I guess if you have to play a 3rd line, i would put TJ Bayley with Connor McGregor and Kevin Hamilton. This will instantly make your lines better because TJ Bayley is not on them. You need to be better, this is how you will be better.
Quote:Words: 151
Code:
Task 8: (Written, 3 TPE)
Pick up to 3 topics below to write about! Each topic is worth '1' TPE. Each answer must be 50 words or more.

1.  Between both rosters, create an all Challenge Cup starting lineup! (D, D, F, F, F, G) and in 50 words or more explain alittle about your selections.
2.  Which GM in the finals do you believe has the tactical/Managerial advantage and why?
3.  Between Beaujeaux Biscuit and Artom Zhumbayev which star goalie has the advantage over the other in this series?
4.  Choose 1 young player from each team (either on their roster or a prospect of theirs) who you believe will be there teams next great player and why?
5.  You want to buy tickets, hotel stay and airfair for one of the games in this series and you have to decide between a trip to West Kendall or Winnipeg.. what city did you choose and why?

1. I am going to go with Beaujeux Biscuit. Why will I go with him? I think that he will have biscuits cooking that Artom does not have because he does not have a cool name. I think Biscuit with his 2.66 GAA this season will definitely prevail on a very balanced Winnipeg Jets team. (54 words)
2. Rex Kirkby is going to be the next great player for West Kendall. Why do I say that? The guy played 50 games this season and even was out there for 16 minutes a night. Let me ask you, do you play a guy like that if you do not like him and do not think he will be good? You do not, do you? That is why he will be good. (72 words)
3. I would choose Winnipeg. I feel like Winnipeg would be so nice this time of year. I really hope it's not cold, I really have no idea, maybe it will be. But, I also have no damn idea where West Kendall is, so I have to choose Winnipeg since I am buying a ticket, I need to know where I am flying to. (63 words)

Code:
Task 12: PT AFFILIATE

NSFL PT

1. When it comes to going all the way this season, the Winnipeg Jets have a team to thank, but have a man to look to. Zach Evans stood strong throughout the playoffs and has cemented himself as the number one player for the entire playoffs. There are many reasons you can look to Evans for the MVP and I will summarize these with many words to hit the word count, he managed to lead the insanely stacked team in points with 19 points and 15 assists and four goals, he also ended the playoffs with a startlingly nice plus seven, and managed to go 18 games without a penalty. All in all, it seems pretty clear to me as to whom is the MVP for the Winnipeg Jets this season, and by far and large, the stats dont lie. The MVP in my mind for this season is Zach Evans.

3. This season was one of ups and down for Joshua Woodcroft, it was a relatively good one for the up and coming Los Angeles Panthers forward, the team didn’t manage to get very far in the playoffs, however I feel that the panthers will be doing well next season also. The highlight for me this season would have to be hitting a career points record for myself with 35 points, 16 goals and 19 assists, I managed to hold a steady +9 over the season with very low Penalties in minutes. A respectable .72 Points per 20 minutes which I would count as a success. I had plenty of time on the second power play unit which definitiely helped me in the long run, and I have to look towards my line mates for most of the success but it is a good total that I will stand by today.

Task 4: PM'ed a while back

Task 1: 

The Winnipeg Jets assembled a good team, and the greatest thing they did was keep it together despite failing to win. This has been a very good team for several seasons, and even after a disappointing playoff miss that was quite undeserved they stayed the course and have finally been rewarded for it. The presence of long-time veterans like Zach Evans allowed the team to keep an even keel throughout the lows and eventual highs of their journey as a team. For them to be able to get the rematch versus the West Kendall Platoon after having their dreams crushed last season is a rare occurrence and surely must have validated the thoughts and processes their front office went through in deciding that their team was ultimately capable of getting the job done. To then succeed in slaying the dragon then confirmed that sometimes patience in the face of consistent disappointment can pay off, and that a steady hand at the wheel will get you to the destination.

Task 3: 

The top highlight of my season in terms of personal success was scoring my tenth goal of the year late in the season. After scoring four goals in my rookie season, I followed it up with an abysmal goal-scoring drought as a sophomore that saw me score only two goals on the season despite a heavy amount of time on ice and powerplay time. While I did manage to pot a few in the playoffs that year (including two OT winners) the taste of shooting 2% over the course of a full season never really left my mouth. After I hit about four goals part way through the season, I started wondering every time I scored another if it would be my last in the SMJHL. However, unlike the previous year, the goals kept coming and I was able to cross the double-digit mark late in the year. This felt like a significant personal achievement for me, as I am expected to contribute offensively and it finally felt like a breakthrough. In terms of team success, clinching the Laurifier Trophy was a great achievement that will mean more to us as the sting of losing in the playoffs wears off a bit.

Task 6: 

The West Kendall Platoon chose to run nine forwards, with a fourth line consisting of stars Alex Light, Trevor Wilson, and Dani Forsberg. While this is certainly a good tactic to overload the opposition and try and shake the matchups set by the opposing coach, this could very easily have led to undue wear and tear on a team that ran out of gas just short of another championship. Because of the setup of their lines, there was only one forward line that didn't include one of those three players, which meant double-shifting was an almost constant occurrence. Perhaps they would have gotten more traction with a low-minute fourth line that could soak up a few of those minutes and allow the stars to rest, while also sending them out together for high-leverage shifts (such as after an icing). Alternately, perhaps they could have run each of those three on separate lines so that the rest was distributed more evenly.

Task 8:

An all-Final starting lineup would include the following players: Jason Visser, Zach Evans, Dani Forsberg, Ludwig Koch Schroeder, Max Weber, and Beaujeaux Biscuit. Not only does this list include some of the premier players of the league, it includes several elder statesmen who have been high-profile members of the league for a long time, coming together to form a rivalry in back to back finals. 

I think Beaujeaux Biscuit has to be considered the undisputed best "big game" goalie in the SHL. In addition to winning the championship just last season, his sterling international record shows that when he's in net in a high-pressure situation, you're going to see some of the best goaltending you ever will. This is not to take away from his talented opponent, but more just that Biscuit has shown no reason not to be considered a game-changing talent.

Winnipeg recalled Ola Wagstrom late in their championship run, and I believe that he is going to be a star for years to come in the SHL. His scoring talent is off the charts, and after two successful seasons in the Detroit Falcons organization he has made the jump to the big leagues, and already has a championship to his name. With that said, I think the best is yet to come for this super-talent and look forward to seeing where his career takes him.

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

CW is now closed!

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria