Create Account

SHL Draft Prospectus Panel Discussion
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2018, 07:22 PM by hhh81.)

S45 SHL Draft Rankings Panel Discussion
By: Henrietta Huyge-Harrison, SHL Superfan

Good afternoon all the SHL and SMJHL Playoffs have concluded, and the St. Louis Scarecrows and Winnipeg Jets are feeling good about themselves while every other team ended their season on a sour note. While players head off to their offseason plans, whether those include international competition, hard training and conditioning, or relaxing, team management are taking a long look at their teams to decide their offseason strategy. No part of the offseason takes on more of our attention than the SHL Draft. Today, I have Harry Hemmert with The Athletic, CSS’s Director of Midwestern Scouting Dave Coulier, and European scout Gerhardt Jackson of eliteprospects.com on hand to discuss what we can expect from the S45 SHL Draft this week.

Top Forwards                          

Moderator: Who are some of the top forward prospects in this class?
DC: There were some surprises this season, but the top players going into the SMJHL Draft are still some of the top earners. Alexander Selich, Konstantin Voloshin, and Mika Mayfield are the top earners in the class and all had dominant rookie seasons.
HH: Definitely. I got to watch a lot of Selich and Voloshin this year in Colorado. Both had very strong seasons, and Selich really dominated once the team reached the playoffs. However, I don’t think either will be the first forward selected. That will be Andreas Kvalheim of Montreal. His agent @raymond3000 is a legend and there’s little reason to believe Kvalheim won’t follow suit.
GJ: I agree with Harry. Kvalheim is definitely the top pick of the draft. After him, I think either Voloshin or Mayfield will be the next forward off the board. After that… it could get interesting.
HH: How do you figure?
DC: A lot of the recreates in this class have strong opinions and come in with reputations. I would not be surprised to see a first-gen player or two go higher than expected because teams are scared off during the interview process from some of the recreate players who are less receptive to some teams.
GJ: I think a lot of people will say that, but when it comes down to it, players like Hiro Fujikawa, Nolan Sawchuk, Kenji Yoshmura, and Nickolas Klaus will still be drafted high. I expect to see at least two of those players drafted in the first round.

Moderator: Who do you think could be a late round steal for a team?
HH: Jakob Novak, easy. He has such a fun personality and has been a steady earner. Given the right SHL environment, he could be a steady contributor for a team down the road.
GJ: I think Hiro Fujikawa may slip a bit, but he’s going to prove a lot of people wrong later with his SHL career. The kid can score some goals, and he should see a little more ice time in the SMJHL next season.
DC: I think Novak isn’t a bad pick, but I actually think it’ll be one of the St. Louis Scarecrows. Nick Fleming and Ty Hoover have both flown a little under the radar this past season. Hoover especially hasn’t heard many people hype him, but I think he could be a really dangerous grower in his draft+1 and draft+2 seasons. Plus, who picks against @JKortesi81's boys, especially two-way forwards?
GJ: No one’s going to talk about Fujikawa?
DC: Absolutely not.
HH: What’s there to say? He’s a boom/bust guy.
DC: Not worth it.
GJ: The kid has skill for days. Montreal for yet another season was starved for goals, and that killed them in the playoffs. He might grate on some people, but I think he scores at least 15 goals next season and 25-30 points, easily.
HH: He also got stapled to the bench in the playoffs. The coaching staff doesn’t trust him.
DC: He’s young and immature, and he could turn it around. I think his fellow rookie Militia member, Griffith Cadwalader will be a better pro.

Top Defensemen

Moderator: Looking to the blueline, who stands out to you?
DC: This class is stupid deep on the blueline. There are at least six guys I would consider taking with a top 10 pick, and two or three that are in the discussion at number 2.
HH: Who? [Leopold] Lockhart, [Cassius] Darrow, and…?
GJ: The inevitable Rookie of the Year, Sanyi Kocsis.
DC: Yep, Kocsis, Darrow, and Lockhart. Teams have Kocsis, Slip McScruff, and Dominic Montgomery a tier behind Darrow and Lockhart, but I think all will be elite SHL defensemen.
HH: You won’t hear me disagree about Darrow. I had the pleasure to cover Colorado this year and he was a joy to watch. You have to think he’s in contention to be the top first-generation player taken in the draft.
GJ: Certainly, it’s between Darrow and Mayfield for that. I never understood how Kocsis fell into the second round of the SMJHL Draft. I can’t imagine that happens again after how he performed as a rookie in juniors.
DC: I knew Kocsis and Darrow were going to be good, but they were really good this season. I still think Lockhart is a better all-around player, mostly because of @ej27 s track record. Still, you can’t forget that St. Louis had two really good rookie defenders in Slip McScruff and Samuel Jalopski.
HH: Speaking of controversial players…
DC: Jalopski? Yes, I agree. That media piece was rough. Would you pick him after his public statements saying he’ll only play for Buffalo?
GJ: It certainly gives pause. But he’s a good player and a solid earner. I think Buffalo can make out like bandits in this draft if Jalopski drops to their 2nd round pick(s).

Goaltenders

Moderator: Goalies are fickle, but who impresses you enough to be SHL players?
DC: This class is not especially strong between the pipes. There are what, three eligible goalies?
HH: Four. Vivian Leblanc (KEL), Justin Willis (HAL), Hank Scorpio (ANC), and Aleksander Aleksandrov (COL).
DC: I’d be shocked if more than two of those players is drafted.
GJ: True. The best earner so far is Aleksandrov, though @dmuda11 clients tend to flame out before making it to the SHL. That, and his lack of consistent updating will hurt his stock.
HH: I think a team late in the second or in the mid third round will take a goalie after some extensive interviewing. Leblanc is a quiet player, but if they stay steadily active they could be a strong five-year SMJHLer that then makes the SHL.
DC: Goalies are such a crapshoot. I don’t expect much.
GJ: Aleksandrov will have every chance to be a starter and a star for Colorado. One of dmuda’s previous players have already had their number retired by the team. You have to imagine teams like Buffalo, Manhattan, and Winnipeg have had scouts following AA closely to see if he’s worth a pick.
HH: Here’s a hot take: Justin Willis goes undrafted, but @King  talks him into updating again with his usual brand of persuasion. He plays three more years in the SMJHL for Halifax and signs as a free agent somewhere.
DC: I’d take that bet. I think it’s more likely Desmond Carey comes on hot and is drafted in the 3rd or 4th round of the draft by San Francisco after going inactive this year.
HH: San Francisco can’t draft every player connected to King, can they?
GJ: If anyone can revive an inactive rookie’s career, it’d be King.
DC: Willis is a definitely interesting player. With how strong the S46 class is looking between the pipes, I wonder if teams will just wait for next year’s draft to restock their goalies.

Mock Draft
Dave and Gerhardt were kind enough to share part of their mock drafts for the first two rounds with us, plus commentary. They will rank Harry Hemmert’s Top 30 players, sharing where they think each gets drafted.

#1: LW Andreas Kvalheim @raymond3000
Dave/Gerhardt: 1OV pride
GJ: We established that this is almost a sure thing.
DC: Agreed. Too good to pass on. San Francisco adds yet another weapon to their rebuild. That team is going to score a lot for a long time.
HH: Until they have to resign them all. You can’t imagine Leshaun King isn’t going to get PAID, right?
GJ: That part of the franchise building will be fascinating to follow.

#2: RW Alexander Selich @Tomen
Dave/Gerhardt: 18OV Stampede
DC: He’s an autodraft in the 2nd round due to his position with Buffalo. If he wasn’t, he’d be contending for a top 5 selection. He was as good as almost any forward in the playoffs for Colorado, but ran into a brick wall in Aleister Cain.
GJ: I watched a good bit of this gargantuan man when he was in Germany still, and then some this past season. He’s gotten even better and quicker than he was playing against children. He’ll be a scary force for the Stampede down the road as well as next year in the SMJHL.

#3(T): LW Mika Mayfield @BadWolf
Dave: 5OV, pride | Gerhardt: 3OV, Rage
GJ: Mayfield is as good a first gen player as you can probably find. With deep connections to the league previously, she will continue updating and is bound to be a force.
DC: I agree. She’s a great player, and is in the conversation at number 3. I think Manhattan goes a different way, and due to rumors of not being open to playing for Buffalo, Mayfield drops to 5 and reunites with her Armamas teammate, Xena.

#3(T): D Leopold Lockhart @ej27
Dave/Gerhardt: 2OV, Renegades
DC: The Armamas will not stay together! Texas takes one of the best defenders in the draft to continue their riches on the blueline. If not Lockhart, I think they pick Cassius Darrow.
GJ: Rumor has it Texas is looking at defense, despite how deep their team is currently. Questions abound whether EJ is willing to go to Texas, but @dankoa  and company will do their due diligence. If not, I could see Voloshin or Darrow also being the pick here. You don’t think Lockhart can drop to 5 for San Francisco?
DC: If he does, I will be saying there are several SHL teams not doing their jobs. Lockhart is too good to drop to 5.

#5: D Cassius Darrow @hhh81
Dave: 3OV, Rage | Gerhardt: 4OV, Stampede
DC: Mayfield is a great player, and you have to think Manhattan will agonize their choice between Darrow and Mayfield if both are on the table at 3. I think they go Darrow due to hhh81’s relationship with management and the chance to continue playing with his SMJHL GM @39alaska39. Either first gen will be a massive add to the cursed rebuild of @JayWhy.
GJ: I agree Darrow could go to Manhattan, and I know he really likes the team. I still think they take Mayfield. That would leave Darrow to either continue falling to San Franscio or Texas, but I really think Buffalo will take Darrow. They worked very hard to speak with him after his press conference last week. I think they see him as the missing piece to their long term contention puzzle. And let’s be honest, who wouldn’t want him to join their deep crop of German-born players, due to his agent’s role as Federation Head for Germany? He’d be able to continue palling around with juniors teammate Selich.
DC: I still think there’s too many questions between Buffalo and Darrow. I’m afraid that, if TEX and MAN pass on him in the top 3, San Francisco won’t and he’ll demand to be traded to Halifax next season.
HH: That absolutely cannot and will not happen. Darrow’s not getting traded. King isn’t that persuasive. Kim Jong Fun would cry a lake of tears that would drown legions of Raptors fans. @Good_Ole_Kimmy

#6: C Konstantin Voloshin @InciteHysteria
Dave: 7OV, Steelhawks | Gerhardt: 8OV, Dragons
GJ: During the regular season he announced a very short list of teams he’d be willing to play for, and I think that’s hurt Voloshin’s draft stock. He also plays more like a winger than a center, which may scare off a few teams. There are too few centers in this class, with Voloshin being the top prospect by far. I think Calgary will spit on themselves at the chance to add Voloshin and keep their playoff streak going.
DC: Calgary definitely would take Voloshin if he was available at 8. I don’t think he will be. I think Voloshin goes between 5 and 7, and won’t fall past Hamilton. They have history of drafting Colorado Raptors, and I expect that to continue this season. I’m also not sure that list was as firm as Voloshin and IH made it seem.

#7: D Dominic Montgomery @bilbo
Dave: 8, Dragons | Gerhardt: 5, pride
GJ: If New England had their pick, this is where Montgomery would go, and I still think this is where he’ll be drafted. Montgomery is a solid defender and bilbo is a delight of a human. I wouldn’t be surprised for San Fransciso to double down on talented defenders in this draft, here and deeper in the second round.
DC: I don’t think Montgomery goes that high, but he should be a fairly high pick. I see him falling to Calgary at 8, and adding to their shallow prospect pool. He might even go lower if teams are worried about him not being a TPE world beater like Mike Izzy, Tomen, InciteHysteria, etc.

#8: D Sanyi Kocsis @daBenchwarmer
Dave: 4OV, Stampede | Gerhardt: 11OV, Chiefs
DC: I think benches has the same chip on his shoulder way-of-being that others in Buffalo have. If they miss out on some of the other top players, they should take a shot at the young European defender who had an unbelievably excellent season for Kelowna. They won’t regret it.
GJ: You’re very high on Kocsis, and while I agree he’s an excellent player, I don’t think he’s a top 10 pick. There are too many questions about his temper and whether his play translates to the SHL game. I think he will be a solid SHLer, but I doubt he matches the production he saw this season. He’ll be a very good pick at 11 to Minnesota as they start their rebuild (or retool?).
HH: He probably gets drafted somewhere in the middle of you two.

#9: Maxime Bouchard @Weretarantula
Dave: 9OV, Panthers| Gerhardt: 6OV Renegades
DC: While some will put Kenji Yoshimura at 9th because of relationships with Los Angeles’ team, I think they go best player available and grab Bouchard. He’s a solid winger that produces outstanding media pieces that should continue to bring in the cash.
GJ: Your pick is so wrong. I’m not sure Bouchard signs there, though Bouchard will likely be off the board before LA picks. I think Texas will take a long look at Maxime. He’s a solid offensive player that’s more pass-first than goal scorer. He could complement their core down the road, especially if they get Lockhart at 2.

#10: LW Donnie Dicks @Gooney
Dave: 10OV, Stars | Gerhardt: 7OV, Steelhawks
DC: Is it just me or is Dicks a player that you can watch multiple times and still never notice? Did he even play for Detroit this past season?
GJ: Yes, but he wasn’t in a position to thrive offensively because of their depth. He’ll take a similar production jump that Ola Wagstrom (@StamkosFan) did this past season. I don’t think he’s as much of a boom player offensively, but teammates seem to love Gooney in any and every locker room. I think the history between Dicks and Hamilton makes it hard for them to pass on him at 7.
DC: Sure, but I always come away unimpressed with Dicks, and I’m a Michigan guy! Someone will likely pick him in the mid to late first, but his lack of public presence gives me pause.

#11: RW Nicholas Fleming @Nereus
Dave: 6OV, Renegades | Gerhardt: 10OV, Stars
DC: The kid would look great in a Texas jersey. After a solid, if unspectacular, season as a Four Star Cup Champion, Fleming will be in the mix in the first round. He didn’t have the point or TPE production to be there, but Nereus is a well-respected individual.
GJ: I wouldn’t take Fleming over Bouchard or Dicks. He’ll be a good player, but I think he drops lower than 6. I think Toronto is a safe bet at 10.

#12(T): RW Nolan Sawchuk @Jepox
Dave: 12OV, Riot | Gerhardt: 14OV, Jets
GJ: Sawchuk was the least productive and the quietest of the big three Kelowna rookies, but I see no reason he can’t be a first rounder. I can see Winnipeg taking a flier on him to end the first. They don’t have many (if any) holes right now, so he will be able to develop quietly in the J before starting his career with the Jets.
DC: Seattle only has a late first round pick this year for @JSS  to try to rebuild with, and Sawchuk could be a solid choice. He’s not “franchise” player material right now, but there’s no reason to believe he can’t be. They’ve had plenty of chances to scout Kelowna this past season with the close proximity of the Pacific Northwest.

#12(T): C Nickolas Klaus @Noble
Dave: 19OV, Chiefs | Gerhardt: 17OV, Rage
DC: While Sawchuk is roughly in range of being taken where you have him ranked, Klaus is definitely not the 12th or 13th best player in the class. He went undrafted in the SMJHL and then put up a bunch of points for a really bad team. He’ll be a second rounder and stew for a couple years in the J.
GJ: I know Noble has a reputation for not having great players, but I think there is a chance Klaus goes in the 12-15 range. There aren’t many centers in the class, and he showed himself to be very strong production-wise this past season. I think he probably fits better at 17 to Manhattan than as a late 1st to Seattle, Hamilton or Winnipeg.

#14: D Slip McScruff @Scrufdaddy
Dave: 11OV, Chiefs | Gerhardt: 12OV, Riot
GJ: I know a lot of people think McScruff is a solid choice to Minnesota at #11, but I think he could be even better one pick later. You said that Sawchuk isn’t a franchise player, and to this point McScruff isn’t either. Rarely do you build around a stay at home defenseman. However, McScruff has already gotten a taste of winning from his time in St. Louis and is a very involved first gen player. He’s the sort of guy who can help develop a culture change, which is exactly what JSS and the Riot need. It will only help that they’ve named him captain next year in St. Louis.
DC: Seattle would probably like to take a player like McScruff, but I don’t think Minnesota will pass on him at 11. After missing out on the “elite” crop of defensemen, the Chiefs add a steady, physical presence to their prospect pool. If any of Montgomery, Kocsis, or Darrow were here, they would take them. Barring that, McScruff will body slam the competition in the Twin Cities.

#15: C Kenji Yoshimura @BigTittySmitty
Dave: 16OV, Chiefs | Gerhardt: 9OV, Panthers
GJ: Smitty has a relationship with LAP. It might be a reach at 9, but I think he goes here. Without making a trade, this is Los Angeles’ only pick until #37. By that time, Yoshimura will be long gone.
DC: Yoshimura shouldn’t go this high. He’s tied for 24th in the class with 239 TPE, and hasn’t shown much so far. BTS may have a history of building strong players, and LAP may ignore conventional wisdom in constructing their team, but there are better players available to them. With Minnesota’s aging core, I think he can contribute for the Chiefs sooner rather than later.
GJ: Their prospect pool is almost entirely centers. Yoshimura doesn’t make sense to MIN. At the latest, I think Seattle would take him at 12, just to add a solid recreate to the locker room rebuild.
DC: He’s the sort of player that I think a lot of teams will like, but will always have someone higher left on their list when the pick comes up. He could easily be much better than the 16th best player in this class when careers are finalized, but for now early 2nd round feels right.
HH: Do you think the RFA drama with Derek Bohne might complicate MIN’s draft strategy?
DC: Until I see something specific, I’m going to mark that up as a fart in the wind.

#16: D Samuel Jalopski @ThatDamnWalrus
Dave/Gerhardt: 20OV, Stampede
DC: Jalopski has a way of putting his foot in his mouth to change where he ends up in the draft. I rarely hear much said about him, but when I do, it’s usually something negative. I think this is by design to tank his value so he can go exactly where he wants to.
GJ: I’ve never met Walrus, but what you’re saying seems about right. Luckily Buffalo has two early-to-mid 2nd round picks, allowing them to take Selich and then Jalopski, one of the early top earners in the class. His growth fell off as the season continued, but he’s still a healthy 272 TPE and a recent Four Star Cup champion.
DC: I think Buffalo’s pick at 4 is the most interesting of the entire draft. We have a good idea as to where they’ll go with picks 18 and 20, and that they’ll get great value there. @Tomen and @WannabeFinn  should be doing heavy work making sure they make the right pick at #4. If they get great value from that pick, they could easily be the big winners of the draft.
HH: Do you think Jalopski’s an option at 4?
GJ: I mean… sure, but… that would mean you’re taking him over at least two of Lockhart, Darrow, Kocsis, and Montgomery? That’s bad asset management. It’s a fair risk to wait for the 2nd round on Jalopski.

#17: RW Hiro Fujikawa @"Marley"
Dave: 23OV, Wolfpack | Gerhardt: 22OV, Dragons
DC: How does the 10th highest TPE earner in a class not have any discussions for being taken in the first round? When you have the reputation Marley does among league executives. Earned or not, rumors of Marley’s past demanding more ice time may cool his draft stock. He’ll still be strong offensive player for a team looking to boost their scoring. With the deep pool of prospects in New England, I think the Wolfpack takes a chance with their first pick of the draft on the Japanese sniper.
GJ: NEW isn’t a bad option; I think Toronto and Calgary are other teams in a position to take a risk with their 2nd round pick. I think Calgary’s deep group of forwards and strong veteran culture can groom Fujikawa for the big time. Plus, that will give him time to mature back in Montreal.

#18: LW Jakob Novak @Esso2264
Dave: 14OV, Jets | Gerhardt: 13OV, Steelhawks
DC: Novak is one of those players other people just like to be around. Both Hamilton and Winnipeg have histories with drafting players from Colorado. Rumor has it @Troy_McClure03 and Jakob Novak were spotted together during the Jets’ championship parade celebration. I think the Jets take a shot at a moderate earning sniper in Novak.
GJ: I think you’re completely right that Novak will likely be a late 1st round pick. While not as insane a TPE earner as other first gen players in this class, Esso has consistently been active through weekly activities and media production. If he keeps it up, he will slowly but surely build a really great SMJHL player that can also be a solid power play producer at the next level. I think Hamilton, due to the relationship between Novak and @Good_Ole_Kimmy, grabs another winger at 13.

#19: D Vegeta Muerto @Vegeta
Dave: 13OV, Steelhawks | Gerhardt: 15OV, pride
GJ: With Muerto’s recent trade from Anchorage to Halifax, how can you not assume San Francisco will use their first pick of the second round to grab the younger brother of Goku @Muerto, Vegeta? The stay-at-home defender was a great complement to Lockhart with the Armada and should do the same for Dom Montgomery in Halifax next season. Considering I have Montgomery going to SF as well, it could be fate for them to be partners for their entire careers. The only downside is Vegeta has been in his brother’s shadow his entire life. Would he want to continue that into the SHL?
DC: As nice as that would be, I think enough teams need defense that Muerto is a late first. If Hamilton decides they need a defender more than they need forward with their second pick of the first round, I could see Muerto being the pick. I don’t think it’d be unreasonable for Seattle to pick Muerto, either, to set up epic Seattle-San Francisco battles between brothers. If he’s available at 15, Vegeta is almost too obvious a pick to the Pride, due to his relationships with Leshaun King, Xena, and Goku Muerto.

#20: C Zidan Zidek @Samee
Dave: 17OV, Rage | Gerhardt: 21OV, Steelhawks
DC: Whoa, that’s really low, Gerhardt!
GJ: Samee is as polarizing as any user on the site. His track record as a league exec was bad, and I think a lot of people flat out don’t like him. That will hurt Zidek, especially if his intentions to go pro after this season hold out. I can see Hamilton taking that chance, solely because of the Raptors connection between Zidek and Novak. That would be a huge pair to keep developing together.
DC: That’s nice and all, but teams need centers. I think Manhattan might take a stab at the Czech playmaker. He might be a pain, but samee knows what he’s doing building players.
GJ: He might go higher than 21, but I don’t see Manhattan as a good fit. This doesn’t seem like a JayWhy pick at all.
HH: If TEX still had their pick at 20, do you think they’d grab Zidek there?
GJ: Absolutely, I think they’d consider it. He has first round talent but baggage. Unfortunately Texas isn’t an option unless they want to make a huge reach with their second first rounder.

#21: C Andy Kerr @Snuffalupagus
Dave: 15OV pride | Gerhardt: 16OV Chiefs
DC: You have Kerr way too low, Harry! Playoff teams will kill for a shutdown center like Andy Kerr. He didn’t show much offensively for the Whalers, but he should see more opportunities to show some scoring touch next year. I think in 2-3 seasons we’ll be discussing Kerr as a player in the same breath as we’re talking about Nicholas Williams right now. He will be a dominant defensive forward and is on an outstanding juniors team. I think that’s exactly sort of complementary player that @Grapehead will target with their pick to start the second round.
GJ: While I said I think Muerto goes to SF, I think Kerr is another great pick for the Pride if the younger Muerto is unwilling or unavailable. In my mock draft, I have him going to Minnesota at 16. Yes, they have a lot of center prospects in their pipeline, but none of them have the pure shutdown ability that Kerr projects to bring at the next level.

#22: D Nat Emerson @Thelastheraclid
Dave: 21OV, Steelhawks | Gerhardt: 23OV, Wolfpack
DC: I’ve had them go fairly heavy at forward, so this is a good place for Hamilton to grab a strong defensive defenseman. He’s a bruiser, which would bring a different dynamic to their prospect pool.
GJ: With all due respect, that’s a terrible pick for Hamilton, who already has Pierre Laroche-Durocher and Jean-Pierre Gay as unbelievably physical defensemen in their pool. Emerson would be a great add for New England, who are poised to lose captain Mia Landvik at the end of next season and have a pretty bare prospect pool with the graduation of several of their top picks from a year ago.
DC: That’s a fair point; I’d forgotten about PLD and JPG both being Steelhawks. I still think it’s a good value pick for the Hawks, as PLD has gone inactive since hitting 350 TPE.

#23: D Jacob Geza @Meursault
Dave: 25OV, pride | Gerhardt: 26OV, pride
DC: We’re in agreement!
GJ: There aren’t a ton of home run picks late in the second. Geza hasn’t been the most active standing in the bottom third of the draft class by TPE, but he was a steady piece lower in the lineup for the young Armada. The Pride probably have scouted Geza closer than most teams due to relative proximity and following other top picks and their own prospects like Xena.
DC: You think they pick someone else with the first of their three straight picks, though.
GJ: I do, but we’ll get there later.

#24: C Ty Hoover @Hoovuh
Dave: 26OV, Stars | Gerhardt: 19OV, Chiefs
GJ: I’ve already said I think Hoover could be one of the true steals of this draft. He’s quietly gained TPE here and there while playing a supporting role for the Scarecrows, and he’s a confident, motivated young man. He’s raw, but I see a little of Nick Williams in him. I project Minnesota would have one of the SHL’s best shut down lines in about 5 years with Kerr centering Hoover.
DC: I think you have him rated about right, Harry. He’s a project player that has shown very little to date, but absolutely has the pedigree and skill to be a very good player in the SHL. Any team who drafts him needs to be comfortable knowing they don’t know exactly what they have in Hoover. They can be impressed that he was a solidly plus player (+10) while averaging under 12 minutes per game, even if the St. Louis coaching staff did not trust him to play often in the playoffs.

#25(T): RW Arsene Arsenich @Kris
Dave: 22OV, Dragons | Gerhardt: 24OV, Stars
GJ: Kris has hung about and is developing a pretty impressive shut down winger. He also showed some scoring touch among the crowd of rookies in Anchorage this season. He didn’t have much success with his previous player, but it looks as if Arsenich may change that. A playoff team like Toronto will take Arsene and push him to continue developing as a complete player, mentoring Kris a bit so he doesn’t fall off.
DC: I don’t think he has the defensive upside of players like Hoover and Andy Kerr, nor the offensive game of someone like Jakub Novak or Zivan Zidek. What he will be is anyone’s guess, but right now he’s just a solid middle six player in juniors. He played some good minutes for Anchorage in the regular season and playoffs, and will likely be the biggest beneficiary of Doug Dimmadome hanging up his skates. While they might get questions about the upside of the pick, Calgary could use another solid defensive winger to round out their high-flying offense. They too have the veteran locker room that could encourage Arsenich to keep growing.

#25(T): RW Griffith Cadwalader @Ferdy
Dave/Gerhardt: 27 OV pride
DC: Cadwalader could easily go higher with any of SF’s picks. He isn’t the most active player, and he plays for a team full of prospects no one really talks about in Montreal. He’d be a solid choice for a team, especially if he can continue even being semi-active. He’s likely a five year SMJHLer at this rate, which isn’t a bad thing. More and more players have to wait longer developing in juniors before making the SHL. I think, so long as Ferdy fits into the locker room in San Francisco, that he will go somewhere in the mid to late 20s, most likely to the Pride. Calgary is also an option, due to past relationships with team management.
GJ: Cadwalader is a solid two-way player with strong ice vision for setting up open teammates. He’s not a dominant player as of yet, and needs to find that next gear. Because of all the offensive skill of the Pride, he won’t have to carry a line often if drafted here. He will be able to develop into a complementary two-way player at his own speed.

#27: G Aleksandr Aleksandrov @dmuda11
Dave: 24OV Stars | Gerhardt: 28OV Jets
DC: We discussed this before—there aren’t many good goalie prospects in this class, and AA comes with some risk. He might just be an SMJHL lifer. However, I think a team like Toronto feels they need to draft a goalie this year, as Michael McFadden isn’t getting any younger. Toronto probably uses their second rounder on whichever goalie they think is the best in the class, though they could also wait until #38 if they think one of the lower TPE earners is a better option than Aleksandrov.
GJ: Your analysis is spot on for Toronto; they are definitely in the market for a goalie prospect, whether as a draft and stash or someone further along via trade. The S46 draft looks deeper for goalies than S45, so I can see them holding off another year. The defending champs, on the other hand, don’t need a star goalie, but could also use one. If they are impressed during workouts and pre-draft interviews, I can see them taking a chance on AA continuing to develop. @FlappyGiraffe knows AA intimately through the Colorado organization.

#28: D Jimmy Cahill @JLysohirka
Dave: 28OV, Jets | Gerhardt: 25OV, pride
DC: So this is the player you had over Geza! Interesting.
GJ: I think Cahill is a better prospect, even if his TPE isn’t as high as Geza. Jlysohirka has a track record of creating and developing defensemen with the Cahill family, though most of his players haven’t been SHL standouts. I think the Pride take a chance late on another defenseman. At least one of them have to pan out, right?
DC: I think Cahill will round out the 2nd round, solely because Winnipeg doesn’t have many prospect defensemen in their system. Their blueline is in their primes, with four players from the S35 to S39 classes. They should look ahead to restocking their pool of blueliners, starting with Cahill. I also think it’s more likely SF tries to package two of their late seconds for a Reddit 4th or 5th in S46.
GJ: They might try, but I doubt they’ll be successful. San Francisco bet that S45 would be a Reddit draft, and they lost. It didn’t help that every team they traded with did remarkably well this season, tanking the value of their picks. Unless another GM thinks they have a can’t miss prospect late in the 2nd, I think the best SF could do is trade the pick for a mid-round choice in 2-3 seasons.

#29: RW William Goose @polan70
Dave: 29th | Gerhardt: NR
DC: Goose won’t go undrafted, but after a lot of hype going into the SMJHL draft, Goose dropped off in a minor role for the Whalers. If he comes back as an active updater, he could be a steal in the middle rounds for a team. Otherwise, this is another player that squandered their potential.

#30: G Vivian Leblanc @Psanchez55
Dave/Gerhardt: NR
GJ: We both stopped our draft boards at 28 with the end of the second round, but Leblanc is one of the more intriguing prospects. Psanchez55 is rather quiet, but goes about their business with some updates. If a team chooses to draft Leblanc, they will have to feel they are committed to hockey and developing in Kelowna.
DC: I don’t think Leblanc is the second-best goalie in the class. That would be Hank Scorpio, at least right now. Someone will have to make a jump forward from the rookie goaltenders, or the S46 class will skate right by them and into starting roles across the league.

Quote:Lots of freaking words; ready for grading.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

I envy your ability to push well-written articles out like this, but keep 'em coming! U are a delight of a human as well. Heart

[Image: 56791_s.gif]

sigs by sulovilen, slothfacekilla, Flareon
Current: Wolfpack raiders Uk | Alumni: Inferno pride Knights Germany

Thanks for the kind words. I wouldn't say I never made a good player, but rather my history of misdemeanours limited me from doing so. Obviously these are resounding mistakes, but I'm very confident that Klaus will be the player Stevenson was meant to be before my departure from the SHL. Regardless of where I go in the draft I will be sure to develop him into the superstar I know that he'll be.

[Image: Klaus2.jpg]

id be pretty upset if i dropped to 21

good article regardless

Haha appreciate the shout outs, was a fun read.

[Image: 7eETdF8.png]
Falcons

Thanks for calling me a top forward. I hope I can go somewhere where they really want me on the squad. More than just falling as BPA. You're the best Darrow.

[Image: 3GSD0dd.gif]
[Image: m1IMt5k.gif]

12-17-2018, 07:29 PMNoble Wrote: Thanks for the kind words. I wouldn't say I never made a good player, but rather my history of misdemeanours limited me from doing so. Obviously these are resounding mistakes, but I'm very confident that Klaus will be the player Stevenson was meant to be before my departure from the SHL. Regardless of where I go in the draft I will be sure to develop him into the superstar I know that he'll be.

Keep your nose clean, Noble! I believe in ya!

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

Wow this was a great read and not just because you guys said so many kind words in my favor. Thanks for this.

[Image: 45029_v.gif]

Sigs by: King, Tweedledunn, Me
Player Page|Twitter|Update Page
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2018, 09:43 PM by BigTittySmitty.)

I'll go undrafted if I can go where I want if teams run out of picks Tongue

--- Give me @vbottas17 & @Wasty or give me undrafted !

PS... i like how everyone is so focused on my relationship with LA. Yet, I've been with some other great teams that folks forget Smile

C - Kenji Yoshimura  Panthers Kenji Yoshimura Updates Panthers
[Image: BigTittySmitty5.gif]

Code:
Credit to Wasty and Steelhead for the sigs - thanks dudes!

12-17-2018, 09:39 PMBigTittySmitty Wrote: I'll go undrafted if I can go where I want if teams run out of picks Tongue

PS... i like how everyone is so focused on my relationship with LA. Yet, I've been with some other great teams that folks forget Smile

tbh I banked all that off @Samee's article. Thanks Samee!!

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

(This post was last modified: 12-17-2018, 10:38 PM by FlappyGiraffe.)

12-17-2018, 09:39 PMBigTittySmitty Wrote: I'll go undrafted if I can go where I want if teams run out of picks Tongue

We miss you in Winnipeg Jets Jets Jets

[Image: wMFFUe4.gif]

Barracuda S56 1st Overall Barracuda

Gary Grease Career Stats: Click Here
Graphics Shop: Click Here

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  Barracuda Russia Barracuda  [Image: c8B2LE3.png]

Great article mate! Loved it

[Image: first.png]
[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img][img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img]
Maxime Bouchard
Armada Dragons Info - Updates  Dragons Armada
Richard Dickbutt McFudderdudder II
Armada Info - Updates Armada

ily but I'll never, ever play for Buffalo.

PLAYER | UPDATE
[Image: BBr47PN.png]

[Image: m9F8nRF.png]

Hi @raymond3000 ! Remember me? Teammates back in the day for Hamilton I'm surprised you're still around nice going 1st overall! I'm debating what to make my new player

[Image: S3zuZxo.png]
[Image: 10cjae8.png]

12-17-2018, 10:36 PMhhh81 Wrote:

tbh I banked all that off @Samee's article. Thanks Samee!!

Fucking Samee !

12-17-2018, 10:38 PMFlappyGiraffe Wrote:

We miss you in Winnipeg Jets Jets Jets

Miss you guys too !!!! I didn't feel like mentioning every team I have had a great relationship with but you guys are for sure on the list :D

C - Kenji Yoshimura  Panthers Kenji Yoshimura Updates Panthers
[Image: BigTittySmitty5.gif]

Code:
Credit to Wasty and Steelhead for the sigs - thanks dudes!