Create Account

Vanderberg 'ecstatic' with 16th OV Selection

Double Media Draft Bonus
336 words

After a respectable showing in the S45 SMJHL Prospect Showcase, Eric Vanderberg like so many of his peers didn't know where he was going to call home for the upcoming season.  The S45 SMJHL Draft, already being described as one of the biggest and deepest in recent memory saw just under 200 players selected to play for their clubs with many more left on the outside looking in. Even as one of the better rated two-way defensemen in the draft it was believed that the 16 year old Defenseman may have to wait until the later rounds to be called due to the strength and depth of the talent at his position.

"Of course I didn't expect to go first, there were so many great prospects at my position. Even my friends were having a little wager on when I would get picked. None of them even had me in the 2nd round." Says Eric with a huge grin on his face. In the run up to the draft as many as 5 teams requested to speak with the Delaware native with at least one team ready to pull the trigger before his selection early last night at 16th overall by the Colorado Raptors. Even after such an early selection, many of his friends and family including Eric himself waited to celebrate until the end of the draft in case he were traded in a pick and trade deal as happened to Halifax's Clifton Outlaw who was picked by the Anaheim Outlaws before being traded to the Halifax Raiders. 

But once the draft ended, the celebration started. 

"The Colorado GM mispronounced my name on the podium last night and  I had a great laugh over that. When we met this morning, I told him it was fine, it happens. I also told him that I would help him remember my name by hopefully bringing a Four Star Cup back to Colorado with the rest of my new teammates."