Create Account

Road to Game 1 - Rookie Blog
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2018, 06:47 PM by Vandy.)

645 words
Ready for Grading

Road to Game 1 - Rookie Blog
Eric Vanderberg
Raptors

When you play hockey as a kid whether you're in mite or pee-wee, you always picture yourself as being the next Gretzky or Lemieux. Me, I always knew I was going to be a Defenseman. When my friends were calling themselves Gretzky, I called myself Coffey or Robinson or Mark Howe. My coaches always told me to play my own game, set my own course. Defensemen get picked at the same rate as Forwards, just focus on my game and making myself better. 

I always knew I would get to play in the SMJHL, its the premier junior league around. I was hoping that the cut off for birthdays was later, that I wouldn't be stuck in a deep draft. Unfortunately, you can't always get what you want. I got put into an extremely deep draft and talented to boot. My coaches, my friends, hell even my parents told me don't be surprised if you go late. Articles came out, projecting me as a 8th round pick. But like my coaches said, set my own course, defensemen still get picked. So when I heard the Raptors call my name at 16th overall, I was stunned silent. The adrenaline started flowing and everything felt like a dream. Walking to the stage, collecting my hat, taking the photos with the Raptors brass, all of it seems like a blur. I had to watch the whole thing on Youtube just to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

It was an unbelievable experience.

Now here we are, a few weeks from Preseason. I'm on the defending Western Conference Championship team and I've gotten to meet some of my teammates including those I got drafted with. Our GM has been great, ensuring that all of us rookies have settled in with our host families. My parents love my host family, especially since they have a younger son. As an only child, I never had a brother. So its definitely been an adjustment. But, he's a great kid and hopefully my host family will join my parents and the rest of my family when I play my first game as a Raptor. I came into the locker room and I got some razzing, you know the usual stuff that the older guys put the rooks through. But it feels like a family. These guys feel like a family and their quick to point out where I can improve my game. They are quick with praise and just as quick when they point out my flaws. 

The coaches are great, they take you step by step what their looking for in me, my role and how I can make my pairing and my teammates better. Their tough and they demand hard work at all times. I've been here only a few weeks but their message from day one sticks with me everyday. "When you step on the ice, you represent the Colorado Raptors, you represent the hard-work, dedication and sacrifices you have made to get here. Don't blow it by being stupid. Off the ice, you are a member of the Raptors and you will carry yourself as a positive representative of our culture and our organization."

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Obviously my dream is like many others here in the J, its to get to the SHL, to win a Challenge Cup. But I am in no hurry. Right now, my focus is on making the team out of preseason. I am so looking forward to my time as a Raptor however long or short that time is

[Image: 0c345c34-740b-40f7-8ed8-faf9725d2177-JVR...&auto=webp]

Raptors

[Image: cooldudeam1234.gif]
(Sig Credit: toedragon84)

lmao w/e kid you suck

jk gl in the szn

PLAYER | UPDATE
[Image: BBr47PN.png]

[Image: m9F8nRF.png]