Create Account

Ushering in a New Era

USHERING IN A NEW ERA

[Image: ZMTcjso.png]

The city was buzzing as it always does. Its a hockey town, and when we win this town comes more alive than ever. I remember where I was when we won the Challenge cup in season 38. Section 104, Row P, Seat 17. Its my lucky seat. Iv sat in that same seat every year since this team came to town way back. Its history, Its tradition. Its a lifestyle, at least it was. Then the change happened.” -Cliff Yarnsbury, Team super fan.

For those that weren't around, the Manhattan Rage were a team not many took lightly. Coming off a Challenge cup run just the year before the team quickly took a turn for the worst. Since then the team has been a bottom feeder and the fans in the city took notice. They refused to buy merch, then tickets, then just stopped watching the broadcasts of the game. Not a good look for the storied franchise. Since winning the cup they have failed to make the playoffs. Forget making it, they haven't been close.

GM Jaywhy took over the reigns near the start of season 39 and he noticed that something was missing. The fire, the passion, the drive that was there just left. Poof, out the door. And he new something had to change. For years hes been putting in the sweat, blood, and yes tears, trying, hoping to find that fire that this once proud franchise possessed.

Now at season 46 hes finally seeing the results. And fans around the city are taking notice. Game tickets at Madison Square Garden are hard to come by. Every game is a sellout, and its filled with Rage fans wearing the sweaters of their favorite current players. Their favorite current up and coming stars. Something that has been lacking. For years MSG was attended by fans of the opposing team making a trip to see their team when they visited Manhattan. And that's all changing. The seats are no longer filled with sections with the opposing teams colors. You hear the chants of LETS GO RAGE. Before that was a rare thing to hear. Manhattan fans were heckled in their own barn, not anymore. Opposing teams fans fear walking into MSG now knowing that the feel of a home game is no longer the norm. Below is a brief history of the team since that last Challenge Cup run in season 48.

At the end of season 39, the team posted a record of 19-29-2 finishing with a total of 40 points the second worst record in the league.
At the end of season 40, the team posted a record of 24-20-6 finishing with a total of 54 points, the fifth worst record in the league.
At the end of season 41, the team posted a record of 22-24-4 finishing with a total of 48 points, the fifth worst record in the league.
At the end of season 42, the team posted a record of 13-32-5 finishing with a total of 31 points, the worst record in the league.
At eh end of season 43, the team posted a record of 20-25-5 finishing with a total of 45 points, the second worst in the league
At the end of season 44, the team posted a record of 18-26-6 finishing with total of 42 points, the third worst in the league
Finally things started coming along with season 45. The team posted a record of 22-24-4 finishing with a total of 48 points. Four points out of the playoffs.

Now due to a trade that happened before season 39, The rage didn't have a first round draft pick to start with that only delayed the rebuild. Fans of the Rage were already not happy with the teams lackluster performance the year before didn't have a lot to be happy about with the loss of a first round pick potentially being used as a player to help kick start the rebuild. The team sent out letters to all season ticket holders letting them all know that the organization appreciate there commitment to the team in this troubled time and offered discounted rates to keep the little fans they had. A bold move by upper management, but they didn't have much else they could do. They knew that in order to keep their fans happy they'd have to be up front and honest with them.

We were not happy with the team and were it was going. It was becoming more of a chore to watch this team play and I was not happy with the way I felt after committing my time to the team. I used to go to as many home games as I could and more often than not I felt unhappy leaving the arena. Why would I want to spend my time and money on something that I knew would make me unhappy? That's what this team did to me. I wasn't happy with how this team was being run and I couldn't take it anymore. I started watching basketball instead and I don't like basketball.” -Rose Mandez, Team fan.

Fast forward a few years to season 42. the team was still holding its place as one of the years bottom dwelling teams, but something was different. There was a slight buzz going around as the team started committing to the younger, inexperienced players. Players like Yannick Berger, Reginald Rove, Reginald MacIntyre, and James Dekens all starting to make waves in the SMJHL. With fans starting to take notice of the young guns, team management knew that there was a light at the end of the tunnel, and soon the team would be in greener pastures. With every year the fans would seem more and more optimistic and fans started to slowly come back to the team that many turned their backs on. With every down year fans still held hope that the team would soon find its footing and get back up after being down for so long. And with every year the fans found more and more reasons to be excited for the future.

With the youngsters soon finding their way to the Rage roster, the team still stockpiled the farm system. For every MacIntyre and Dekens getting the call up there was another soon to be star to take its place on the up and up. Players such as Cameron Carter II, Sulak O'Hritea, Alex Winters, and Craig Finley. Fans soon found themselves excited to watch Manhattan games again due to these young players making themselves mainstays with the Rage. Everything really started clicking when season 43 had finished and you started seeing fans wearing the sweater of James Dekens. The young forward who took the league by storm in his rookie year. So much so that he found himself on the short list of nominees for the Jester Award. An award given to the leagues rookie of the year. The fans rejoiced when they first heard the news that James had won the award and started earning the respect of the league. 
[Image: 36JdOBB.png]

The first time I saw Dekens I knew we had something special brewing. I saw a future star in him and him alone was worth the price of admission.” said Nate Kinsley

I was thrilled the moment I heard that James won the rookie of the year award. I never lost hope for this team. It was hard at times yeah, but I knew the moment I stopped watching was the moment something special would happen, and im happy I didn't miss that. I'm happy for the kid and for the team.” said Mike Adams.

"James in his rookie season, only able to be described as absolutely stunning. Going into it, he didn't even seem to believe in himself. We knew, however, that he has something special about him. He has that killer instinct, which is how he was so spectacular in Kelowna and won Four Star Cups. It's how he excelled in his rookie season, and how he'll continue to excel from there on. He knows how to put the puck in the net, and we knew from day one he would become a star. Immediately, he proved us right and I fully believe he will continue to do so every day onward." commented Manhattan Rage GM JayWhy.

Dekens' stellar year is not the only good thing this team had going for the immediate future. The very next year players by the names of Alex Winters and Craig Finley would also soon find their way onto opposing teams radars. Alex Winters a season 43 first round draft pick taken tenth overall would soon grab hearts all around the city with his charismatic personality. I was walking around downtown heading to my favorite coffee bar and I noticed a little girl that couldn't have been more than 6-7 years old and it got me thinking. What did this little girl see in Winters that she could relate. I asked her and her parents. “Alex is my favorite player. I love watching him play. Hes my favorite Rage player.” I asked why again. “Hes fast and he can shoot really fast. I like that.” I asked her father what was her obsession with Winters.

I took her to her first Rage game this year and we managed to make our way to the glass to get a close look as the team warmed up. She brought a sign that said something along the lines of its my first game, can I have a puck. Alex came up to the glass with a random puck and tossed it over the glass to her. She was thrilled. Ever since that day Winters has been her favorite player.

I guess that the type of player Alex is. He always makes time to meet the fans and make a few kids days along the way. He may be young but he has this mature feeling about him that you can see in a young leader.
[Image: iVEod4a.png]

"Winters is one of those guys who really takes over a room, you know? He's the kind of guy that walks in and everyone turns to him. He seemed to think of himself as not really being a 'star' kind of person, and he doesn't carry himself like one either. In my history with Edmonton, I'd compare him to a Lucas Smith. The guy is a leader, naturally. He's a killer, naturally. He is the guy who is going to put the team on his back and force things to happen, but shrug when people give him credit for it. He will be the face of the Rage by the time his career is done, and this is just one of the greatest starts to that trajectory ever." replied Manhattan GM JayWhy when asked about his young winger.

What if I told you that not only was the team hitting on the early picks but the later picks as well. One such pick was a season 43 third round defenseman. When GM JayWhy walked up and announced that with the thirtieth the Manhattan Rage had selected Craig Finley, many fans were left scratching their heads. Nobody knew who this young man was. He may have been the drafts most well kept secret. Fans would soon find out who Finley was. When he played with the Raiders from Halifax he found hi name on the scoring sheet more often than not. Rage fans around the city quickly took notice. Finley was quickly making a name for himself and everyone was taking notice and fans couldn't wait to see the young skilled right handed shooter in the Black and Red.
[Image: OdDDdQZ.jpg]

I meet Craig at an event held at the Rage practice facility. He was holding a charity game with all stars from around the city playing against Manhattans finest. He was the coach of the Manhattan All Star team and after the game he held a post game skate and autograph session with all proceeds going to the Finley Foundation, a foundation to help parents with the many expenses that come with a hospital stay. He always helps out any way he can to help make the kids and parents stay more warming. I'm happy Finley found his way to the Rage. We could use leaders like him.” noted Casey Taylor.

"I heard before how the best offense is a great defense, but the best defense is really to drive the play forward and keep the puck out of your end. Finley is that kind of guy. He pushes play forward in a spectacular way, and it can be something you couldn't even imagine. It looks like he's trapped, and he can float a pass fifty feet tape-to-tape. It looks like he's blocked, and he threads the needle in a way that makes you wonder if this is the movie Wanted and he's just curving it around to his will. He's an incredible offensive force in a position that it's difficult to be one, and that's where he's special. That's where he needs to be recognized by the city. He's an exciting player to watch, every single shift." -GM of Manhattan Jaywhy.

Its no secret that when you have fans behind you at home games you want to play better. You want to play harder. You want to play faster. You want to win that much more and its starting to feel like Manhattan has found its answer to the question that's been dragging it down. That answer is clearly get younger and win the fans back. The city is alive and thriving and at the center of it all is the Manhattan Rage. Fans are buying in to the youth movement. They are embracing this team again. Its not a secret anymore. Dekens, Finley, and Winters are apart of this young teams future. A team that once saw promising times and is starting to set their sights on what was once theirs. Fans are more than happy to show their pride and support for this team. Many fans are finding their way back and the team has made it a priority to make this city back into the hockey town it once was known as.

2865 words w/ pictures

[Image: 37Bgs1o.png]
Rage Usa raiders
DRAFTED 30TH OA S43
S42 WJC GOLD MEDAL
JESTER AWARD FINALIST S45
S45 ALL ROOKIE TEAM
S50 IIHF GOLD MEDAL
S52 CHALLENGE CUP CHAMPION

Great article! Manhattan is going to be a force to be reckoned with here soon! Couldn't ask for a better group of players to be teammates with on and off the ice!

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52